-- Luigi's Italiano
-- A Batter Place
-- The Gilded Truffle
-- The Frying Dutchman
-- Homer's Favorites
-- Lenny's Leftovers
-- Carl's Cutlets
-- U235-A Bistro

Speaking of Smilin' Joe Fission, there was a poster of him on the wall of a hallway with the caption "Work First, Safety Second".

Loved the callbacks to previous early season episodes -- it was awesome.

Loved the Put Kids to Work Day -- it even had it's own catchy tune.

Of course Burns is the Employer of the Month -- he's always Employer of the month in his own power plant.

Tyrrany is Job 1.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Taeolas said:

You missed Cesar and Ugolin as Burns's "Frenemies" (Enemies from France) in the picture under the Eiffel Tower. 🙂

(I recognized them but had to look their names up. )

Deep pull...Season 1 pull! 

5 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

Deep pull...Season 1 pull! 

I do wonder if that was an intentional deep pull. 

Last season (I think) some of us (myself at least) was disappointed that Bart didn't know French to use as a counter to Lisa learning it in an episode (can't even remember what one). But pulling from that ancient ep would have been fitting for it all; but it was a missed opportunity. 

So bringing back the wine makers for a cameo in this ep almost feels like they put it in to acknowledge 'oh yeah we did look back and found them this time'. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, Spartan Girl said:

My one complaint: what was the point of shoehorning Marge in this episode for two or three of her lame lines, other than to hear how even more grating Julie's voicework has become? No seriously, if you cut out her bits it wouldn't have made a difference.

Marge sounded strange in this episode to the point that I was wondering if they replaced her with another voice actor too.   I hope Julie’s just getting older and nothing is wrong.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2020 at 8:37 PM, Galileo908 said:

Wow, they found a really great soundalike for Carl. He sounds mostly the same, but a bit older. Speaking of voices, I liked David Harbour as "Fred."

I forgot Hank wasn't doing Carl anymore, so kept wondering if he was sick or something because Carl sounded slightly off. Then I remembered the new casting and it made sense. It was pretty good and I'll get used to it.

I don't really know David Harbour's voice, but for some reason I knew it was him playing Fred. Maybe because Fred looked a bit like him. Loved all the Iron Man associations.

I did enjoy this episode. It gave the secondary characters a chance to shine and there were some good callbacks. Solid start to Season 32.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Marge sounded strange in this episode to the point that I was wondering if they replaced her with another voice actor too.   I hope Julie’s just getting older and nothing is wrong.

The voice has been getting that haggard for the past several years, so I'd chalk it up to age -- at least that's what I hope.

• Love 1

Loved hearing Michael Palin,

Also loved seeing Moleman's "I had Sexicus..."

Sigh, they made Marge's roman self really insufferable in this one. And Marge even points this out! Sigh. So...the moral of the story, and the final stinger, is totally not a timely commentary for the country at large.

"You'll be invited to the fancier kinds of orgies. The kinds with women."
"They have those?!"

It definitely sounds like Hank Azaria as Carl again, at least in some parts. There were lots of deep cut cameos in this episode, like all the country club women from the Chanel Suit episode, and Karl. Also liked seeing Hagar The Horrible and Asterix.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not being that guy, but nuclear reactor operator isn't really an entry level job. 

And Safety Inspector was only given to Homer so he wouldn't try to bring down the plant.

Also, the song Quimby was singing was the theme song from The Roman Holidays, a very very deep Hanna-Barbera cut.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

I thought that episode was really good.

"All Hail our new champion -- Mr. Plow himself, Obeseus !!"

"Crowd-sourcing a streaming service -- I'm a genius!"

"Hmmm, we're going to need more lions."

As a gladiator, Obeseus fought Roman versions of Drederick Tatum and Sideshow Bob.

Loved the Latin version of 'The Jeffersons' theme song.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I noticed Grimey among the slaves on my second watch of it, and Freddy Quimby and Artie Ziff as senators.

Looked like Old Gil was Moe's gift slave to Obeseus.

And Jasper was the slave hanging on the wall in Obeseus' home.

Couch Gag: Visible anatomy!

Anthology episode!

Leonardo da Vinci: Yeah, no surprise that Lisa imagined herself as Leonardo da Vinci. Liked seeing the Noid that had one ear like Bongo, and poor Milhouse as "Mediocrito." I'm surprised that for segment set in Italy, they didn't use Luigi OR the mobsters.

"With these, we could kill the most evil people in the world: slightly different Christians."

Bart's segment: "Moulin Rogue: Enjoy before Baz Luhrman ruins it!" I liked it, even if this was another take on French jokes. I love a good Mayor McCheese gag, and I loved every bit with Moe.

Maggie: That was really well animated.

Homer: Diego Rivera and Frieda Kahlo. And Zorro. Ugh, of course they somehow managed to make Frieda Kahlo into a nag.

"La Guardia vows to build worst airport in the world" Ha.

"$21,000. Do you know how much that is in today's money? $21,000." Of course Burns was a Rockefeller. 

"To find a taller building, you'd have to walk a full seven blocks. Long blacks. With people bumping into you." I appreciated all the New York gags. Also liked the Marx Brothers gag. Yeah, Zeppo had an "accident."

Also, Bumblebee Man has a new voice. That was pretty jarring. Carl's new voice was in this, too. I also liked the Bernie Sanders bit. It's refreshing to see a political joke with some teeth again.

Moe: This was fun. And also well animated. I love gags that mention the Gracie Films "Shh" lady.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Visible anatomy!

Anthology episode!

Leonardo da Vinci: Yeah, no surprise that Lisa imagined herself as Leonardo da Vinci. Liked seeing the Noid that had one ear like Bongo, and poor Milhouse as "Mediocrito." I'm surprised that for segment set in Italy, they didn't use Luigi OR the mobsters.

"With these, we could kill the most evil people in the world: slightly different Christians."

Bart's segment: "Moulin Rogue: Enjoy before Baz Luhrman ruins it!" I liked it, even if this was another take on French jokes. I love a good Mayor McCheese gag, and I loved every bit with Moe.

Maggie: That was really well animated.

Homer: Diego Rivera and Frieda Kahlo. And Zorro. Ugh, of course they somehow managed to make Frieda Kahlo into a nag.

"La Guardia vows to build worst airport in the world" Ha.

"$21,000. Do you know how much that is in today's money? $21,000." Of course Burns was a Rockefeller. 

"To find a taller building, you'd have to walk a full seven blocks. Long blacks. With people bumping into you." I appreciated all the New York gags. Also liked the Marx Brothers gag. Yeah, Zeppo had an "accident."

Also, Bumblebee Man has a new voice. That was pretty jarring. Carl's new voice was in this, too. I also liked the Bernie Sanders bit. It's refreshing to see a political joke with some teeth again.

Moe: This was fun. And also well animated. I love gags that mention the Gracie Films "Shh" lady.

This was a really fun episode.

The first 2 segments were okay, I wasn't really feeling them, but that last segment, that was incredible.

Everything with El Barto's appearance, Bernie Sanders, "As a warning to the other trees", and "I think they're eating the eating the elevator operator", all had me laughing my ass off.  Heck, the entire elevator gag was hilarious.

• Love 1

I started watching season 6 a few days ago and I've just seen S6E04: Itchy & Scratchy Land. The IMDB review was right: "The Simpsons don't get much better than this." Not only that there's so many quotable lines here, I love the whole mockery of Disneyland and its dark parodies of Disney cartoons like Scratchtasia.

The AV Club is particularly helping when watching these episodes because their episode analysis gives a lot of background information, such as how this episode was the Dave Mirkin's response to Fox's demands that Itchy and Scratchy is too violent to show on The Simpsons anymore. Like the rebel that The Simpsons was known for in its early seasons. Dave responded by making this episode's Itchy and Scratchy segment even more violent than usual, including a whole Itchy and Scratchy Land that's described as "The Violentest Place on Earth". Never try to censor The Simpsons, kids.

• Love 1

Just watched S6's "Sideshow Bob Roberts" just now where its mockery of the American voters seems particularly relevant today:

"This time, he's the lesser of two evils." - Lisa SimpsonH0TzjR6.jpg
Just replace Quimby with Hilary.

Edited by MagnusHex

Appropriately enough, I got to watch Treehouse of Horror V in Simpsons season 6, a Halloween tradition in the series I wouldn't have been able to watch if I'm stuck watching the sixth season of The X-Files or Buffy right now in my rotation. 😁

And boy, this is definitely the best Treehouse of Horror I've seen so far. It has a fun Shining parody where Homer goes crazy from a lack of beer and TV, but my favorite segment is easily Nightmare Cafeteria where the school staff starts cannibalizing on delinquent students, then just any student in particular. It was easily the darkest segment of any Simpsons episode so far in 1994, not to mention the incredibly disturbing ending where Bart and Lisa are implied to have fallen into a food blender... the fact that their bloody demise was left to the audience's imagination probably made it worse.

It also has this equally upsetting end credits sequence that probably haunted a lots of kids' nightmares:

Apparently, this episode's dark nature (or at least darker nature) came about because of the aforementioned executive meddling from Fox, trying to tone down the violence. I miss when the show was this rebellious and anti-establishment.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 2

I liked the art history episode.  Have there been more episodes that are a series of vignettes rather than one story in three acts lately, or am I imagining it?  If I'm right, it's no criticism.  If they're good, they're good.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

Also liked seeing Hagar The Horrible and Asterix.

Roman episode - I missed them!  I'm going to have to go back and rewatch.

The French painting episode... I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would.  Although there were a lot of gags that were great.  I especially loved the Van Gogh paintings in the credits and wished there had been a full Van Gogh segment.

I guess one of the questions I have is that if they got rid of Apu and it was considered so offensive to have Carl voiced by a white guy, how come they think it's ok to have all those stereotypical Italian accents in the Da Vinci segment?  Taken to the extreme, somewhere, somebody will always be offended by something.

lsobpf1glndj5v7rlf7a.jpg

Just saw this episode and man, in spite of knowing what's coming the moment I saw that plaque (no thanks to the dozens of spoilers praising this episode... like my post here), I still ended up tearing up a little by the end. It's no wonder this end up as one of people's favorites.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 2

While watching The Simpsons, I had a thought that a lot of people complained about how Modern Simpsons constantly milk off modern pop culture that nobody cares about like Lady Gaga and Twitter. But then when I think back to the many Simpsons episodes I've seen so far, even those in the current season 6 I'm watching, there are so many references to celebrities from the '50s through '70s (from Billie Holiday to Mel Brooks to Tonya Harding), references I had to look up so many, many times (as opposed to the more modern references which I grew up with). It makes sense, of course, considering that the series was created by boomers who lived through those times, but that just goes to show that it's a matter of perspective how entertaining such references can be for the viewer. Many of these cultural references in the "Classic Era" can be ham-fisted and unnecessary too, but nobody complained about them. In fact, a large number of these references existed in the Classic Era just to get audiences to remember the good times and laugh about them, going, "Do you remember that? Do ya?"

Anyway, long post short, I'm probably becoming less cynical of what's to come in the Simpsons series now that I know, even if the writing is weak, even if the comedy is no longer smart or biting, at the very least, they'll be making references that reflect my childhood. That's... something, at least. I'm sure Steve Allen and Bob Newhart mean something to somebody born 20 or 30 years earlier than me, much like how a Pokémon and Powerpuff Girls reference would appeal more effectively to a Millennial like me. It's only a matter of time before The Simpsons have to reference something that current generation adults would understand.

Edited by MagnusHex

The Simpsons (Season 6) Review

M3kAqUq.png?2

Usually, by the sixth season of the series, TV shows have long reached their peak and have packed their bags for syndication. The Simpsons, however, was only just getting started. Some would even argue that this was the real beginning of its Golden Age that lasted through season 7 and 8. The ratings would certainly reflect that, as season 6 marks the highest-rated season of the series yet. The animated adult cartoon would literally never be as good ever again, for better or worse.

Personally, I had a lot of problems with Mirkin’s direction previous season, to turn up the zaniness of the cartoon and dial down the realism or even the satire of earlier seasons. Season 5 became one huge gag show that’s made purely for laughs, containing very few of the clever social commentary or even the emotional moments that made season 2 through 4 such a blast. Fortunately, season 6 has returned to form and brought a nice mix of a ridiculous cartoonish nature and a more heartfelt examination of the characters and their relationships. Mirkin’s usage of character traits (as opposed to their flanderization) to bring the humor worked to great effect this season.

For starters, we get three very nice episodes revolving round my favorite Simpson yet, Lisa’s Rival (where Lisa gets a friend as smart as her), Round Springfield (an incredibly grounded episode by Mike Reiss & Al Jean that deals with Lisa grieving for her one connection to her love for Jazz), and Lisa’s Wedding. The last of which was literally an Emmy-winning landmark on its own as it features the series’ first episode to be set almost entirely in the future. While such speculative scenes have been present in the series’ history before, this was the first to center its entire premise around what might happen to the Simpsons family decades down the road. It’s also one of the rare chances we get to have the satisfaction of seeing OFF (Our Favorite Family™) grow up, an element that easily makes me more eager than ever to watch similar episodes like this such as Holidays of Future Passed and Barthood. Meanwhile, we also get two episodes focused on the often overlooked Marge as well, Fear of Flying and The Springfield Connection, even if the former didn’t work so well in its attempt to inject humor into a non-humorous character. But from such episodes that lend further depth to the characters, season 6 has a more intimate feeling that reinforce the character qualities that made us like them in the first place. Alongside Lisa’s Wedding, the tightening of familial bonds also extends to Grandpa and Homer Simpson in Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy. Another standout episode with such a strong emotional core is And Maggie Makes Three, of which its “Do It For Maggie” ending reminds us we put up with his buffoonery: because he’s a doting father at heart full of fatherly love.

EiFQvcd.png?1

But emotional rollercoasters aside, this is still a comedy series, and the first few episodes of season 6 (though the first two were delayed from season 5) already gave me a good impression of what’s to come, with Simpsons being as biting with its satirical commentary as ever in the forms of Itchy & Scratchy Land and Sideshow Bob Roberts (one was taking jabs at Disney’s merchandising and Disneyland’s poor working environment almost two and a half decades before their purchase of Fox, while the other was supposed to be a parody of Bob Roberts, but ended up predicting problematic candidacies voted by the people). This was followed by my favorite Treehouse of Horror thus far that’s probably also the darkest one yet that really pushed back against the censor-pushing of Fox and the FCC. Later on, Homer Badman once again exemplified the show’s hilarious social mockery by predicting SJWs long before SJW culture. Needless to say, season 6 was firing on all cylinders: comedy, satire and emotions.

However, some of the later episodes did fail to get as many laughs from me like Bart vs. Australia (a mockery of Australian stereotypes conceived by Americans), A Star is Burns (a blatant advertisement for another Fox show known as The Critic, a parody of movies that should’ve been more appealing to a movie fan like me but somehow didn’t catch my attention), Homer vs. Patty and Selma, Homie the Clown and Homer the Great. These are the furthest things from being the kind of bad episodes we’d see down the decades, but they are kinda forgettable and just didn’t really do much for me with their usual Mirkin cartoonish shenanigans that bored me in season 5. On the other hand, I quite enjoyed Two Dozen and One Greyhounds and its blatant parody of 101 Dalmatians and the Be Our Guest musical number from Beauty and the Beast. Much like the other episodes I mentioned this paragraph, it feels like a typical episode written for the fun of it (as opposed to having anything that clever to say), but it strikes a chord for me and my Millennial childhood, something rare for a show written by Boomers. In fact, most of the jokes in the show probably don’t land well with me because they’re obscure references to some ’70s talk show host or celebrity I never heard of in my non-American country (somehow, anime like Gintama and their obscure references to other anime and Japanese culture Americans won’t get land better for me, a non-Japanese).

1P91arN.png?1

But to its credit, season 6 has both a strong start and a strong ending, with winning entries near the tail-end of the season like the aforementioned Lisa’s Wedding, Two Dozen and One Greyhounds, Round Springfield, and of course, the famous milestone that’s part one of Who Shot Mr. Burns? an episode where the show gets the audience to answer the titular question through a hotline (before revealing the “truth” three months later). Such a publicity stunt is obviously a reference of the 1978 drama, Dallas and the coined catchphrase spawned from its third season finale, A House Divided, but for a comic book fan like myself… well, you comic book fans probably know what I’m about to say. Yes indeed, it’s the 1988 Jim Starling series known as Batman: A Death in the Family, where fans were asked to dial a number to decide if Robin should be horrifically murdered by The Joker. It’s not the first time audience interaction became that intimate, and with Gravity Falls, it certainly wouldn’t be the last. It’s an interesting social experiment that led to a whole generation of media sensation and ultimately heightened the cartoon’s already heightened reputation as a historical TV landmark the likes of I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, Cheers and of course, Dallas (shows that are so old and yet somehow I have still heard of them).

All in all, even while not every episode works for me, it’s still an ambitious season that has thoroughly entertained and even amazed me, possibly more than ever since season 3. Yes, The Simpsons is definitely heading off to a a great future ahead… or at least two more years (or three depending on whom you ask) of glorious laughter before said laughter is behind us, replaced with a husk of its former self. No wonder many consider S6 the peak of the series.

Final Rating: 8.5/10

• Love 1
On 10/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, opus said:

And Game 5 of the World Series is scheduled for next Sunday (so Simpsons fans need to root for a sweep).

It looks like the Treehouse of Horror is re-scheduled for November 1.  If the show airs this Sunday, it will be repeats of last year's TOH and "Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?'

• Useful 1
On 9/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

This was my fave because I like all the nuclear jokes. You all know that the 'core' isn't a big vat of green whatever-that-was right?

Good one, I hadn't realized that.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

And Safety Inspector was only given to Homer so he wouldn't try to bring down the plant.

Also, the song Quimby was singing was the theme song from The Roman Holidays, a very very deep Hanna-Barbera cut.

WOW, good find.

Finally, Season 32, Ep 4: Treehouse of Horror XXXI

The annual terror-themed trilogy, including a frightening look at the 2020 election, parodies of Pixar and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, and a ninth birthday Lisa just can't get over.

Airs 11/1/20 (Thanks, baseball. And thanks, football for delaying the airing by a few minutes AGAIN)

Intro: I DO approve of his BART-killing policy! And yeah, timely, timely election humor. Thank god I voted already. I can officially say "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!" Silly show, if we get the ED-209 future, they wouldn't wait until January to attack us. It's actually impressive that they added the masks on everyone since they started animating this.

Toy Gory: And now a Toy Story parody if it focused on Sid. Man, we've come a long way from the CGI from Homer^3. It was great seeing the Krusty doll again, headless Malibu Stacy (the one seen in Clown Without Pity!), and Funzo. While I wished that John Ratzenberger was involved in this (he DID appear in the Tracy Ullman Simpsons segment), I'll take hearing Wallace Shawn as Puppy Goo Goo.

Okay, what became of Bart was legit creepy. He was turned into one of those talking Bart Simpsons dolls I had as a kid. Great segment.

I noticed the episode production code on Radioactive Man's manual. Also "As seen on 60 Minutes" and "Made in Chernobyl" on his box.

Loved the TCM bit, even if it was a way to shoehorn that guy in. Ben Mankiewicz has to be one of the more obscure cameos in this show.

Into The Homer-verse: RIP Gil. And Flanders. Loved all the Homers. I can't resist crossovers. Anime Homer! Hanna-Barbera Homer! 8-Bit Homer! Disney Princess Homer! Homer Noir! Loved that Princess!Homer had Homer's normal singing voice. And yeah, loved the fight between all the Burns & Smithers and the Homers. 

It's the mark of a good segment (or maybe a rushed one?) where I wished this was longer.

Be Nine, Rewind: Oh man, Lisa finally turned nine and we realize why no one ages: Happy Death Day style time loops! (I thought Edge of Tomorrow, it was even referenced!) Watching everyone die over and over again was both hilarious and dark as all hell. 

RIP Gil. Again.

Ooh the credits have one shot from all the previous Treehouse of Horrors (the first four show all three segments.) Man, this was the best THOH in ages! Fun Fact: This was written by Julia Prescott, of the Round Springfield/Everything's Coming Up Simpsons podcast.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Here's the list of things that happened from last 4 years that (other than Faye Dunaway gives Oscar to wrong movie and is never seen again):
-- made it okay to shoot hibernating bears
-- put children in cages
-- call Mexicans rapists
-- imitated disable reporter
-- looks lousy in a tennis outfit
-- can't get wife to hold hand
-- called third world countries ****holes
-- call Tim Cook "Tim Apple"
-- Said Jewish people who vote Democrat are disloyal
-- showed Top secret documents at Mar-a-lago restaurant
-- called white supremacists "fine people"
-- leaked classified information to Russian Ambassador
-- asked the President of Ukraine to investigate the Bidens
-- called for China to investigate the Bidens
-- walked int the dressing room at Miss Teen U.S.A. pageant
-- lied about the size of his inauguration
-- refused to release his tax returns
-- gutted the E.P.A.
-- confiscated and destroyed interpreter's notes after meeting with Putin
-- tweeted classified photo if Iran missile site
-- called Baltimore a "disgusting, rat and rodent-infested mess"
-- described Meryl Streep as "over-rated"
-- leaked information to the Press about the 2017 Manchester arena bombing
-- did not attend any White House Correspondent's dinner
-- said Megyn Kelly had "blood coming out of her wherever"
-- called Carly Fiorina "horseface"
-- brought Ivanka to the G7 Summit
-- ruined impeachment
-- put Jared in charge of Mideast
-- appointed and didn't fire Betsy Devos
-- corrupted Congress
-- threatened Marie Yovanovitch
-- destroyed democracy
-- lost Hong Kong
-- pulled the U.S. out of climate agreement
-- allowed bounties on soldiers
-- invaded Portland
-- withdrew from W.H.O.
-- commuted sentences
-- bragged about knowing the date
-- said to swallow bleach
-- person, woman, man, camera, TV
-- destroyed Post Office
-- wants third term
-- paid $750 in taxes
-- wanted to be on Mount Rushmore
-- and we haven't even said the worst one

• Love 7

Who was Detective Homer supposed to be?  What character?

The purple Burns was supposed to be the witch that opposed Snow White ("Princess Homer"), right?

What character was the blue "Heavens to Marge-troyd" one?

I got the Mario Homer vs. Bowser Burns one.

1 minute ago, nuraman00 said:

Who was Detective Homer supposed to be?  What character?

The purple Burns was supposed to be the witch that opposed Snow White ("Princess Homer"), right?

What character was the blue "Heavens to Marge-troyd" one?

I got the Mario Homer vs. Bowser Burns one.

1) He's the stand-in for Spider-Man Noir, influenced by Will Eisner's The Spirit

2) Yes. Specifically, Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty

3) Snagglepuss (he also shifts to Quick Draw McGraw a few times)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

I take it that most, if not all, of the closing credits were from past Treehouse of Horrors?

What pop culture references were the following images?

* Marge with the sowing needle and purple button-like eyes.

* Bart and Lisa conjoined, tied to a fire hydrant

* Ned with a knife, having beheaded Burns

* Marge and Homer holding hands, backs facing us, looking at something dead in the water.  Is that from Jaws?

There didn't really seem to be a good Maggie moment, in this episode.

After watching the 2nd and 3rd time period episodes, from this season, I think they should just do an entire season of various time periods.  With a few breaks for Treehouse of Horror; Thanksgiving; Christmas; and maybe Easter themed episodes.

Edited by nuraman00

I'm asking this because I just finished setting up a 5 channel home theater a few days ago.

If any of you notice(d) any interesting sound effects in these recent Simpsons episodes, let me know.  Whether it pertains to certain sounds coming out of the rear surrounds, or something happening in the center channel while something else happened in the front left and right speakers, let me know.

One non-Simpsons example I just noticed, was during the movie TMNT, Splinter was off-screen to the right, calling to the Ninja Turtles.  The voice sounded like it came only from my front and surround rights, in a cool effect way.

I did watch today's Simpsons episode with the speakers set up, but I didn't notice anything interesting sound-wise.  But I am new to listening with this setup.

I really wish they had played the full theme song today, or even a Treehouse of Horror version of the theme song, so I could see what the sound was like.  I may have to get my Simpsons CD and play the theme song from there, and have it upmixed to 5 channel through the receiver.

Maybe it’s because I saw an awful lot of THoH episodes recently, but I was not very entertained by this year’s offering. 

What I am STILL entertained by, however, is Homer singing “Guess I forgot to put the fog lights in” right before running over Flanders. 

The Toy Story parody was disturbing. Yeah, Bart was abusing the toys but he didn't know they can feel. Usually the disturbing stories end with an amusing tag but I don't think this one did. I already don't remember.

The second story about Homer bored me. I didn't understand it.

Lisa's birthday was the best of the three. I always like Lisa and Nelson together. And the bit with Comic Book Guy was amusing.

• Love 1