Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Season 31 ep 5:

Gorillas on The Mast

After a trip to Aquatraz water park, Lisa becomes determined to set free Springfield's mot vicious animals in captivity; Homer fulfills a lifelong dream of buying a boat, and quickly realies that boat ownership sucks.

Airs 11/3/19

Couch gag: Dartboard!

And now an episode that justifies why people hate Lisa. Ugh, just...why? Not like Lisa setting marine animals free is a new plot (at least twice), and this whale didn't even bring back its brethren to take over the Earth. This was also not the first time Bart's had some shenanigans with apes, and said ape kidnapping one of the kids. I was afraid that this was how the show was gonna handle Harambe, but nothing really came of it. Lisa just gave it to Joan Bushwell from Simpsons Safari (EDIT: wait a sec, that was actually Jane Goodall this time?!), and it started imitating Homer (and Homer started acting like a gorilla), just like in Bart Gets an Elephant, but not as good.

Man, I loved that penguin funeral. Can't believe I wrote that sentence.

Ha, Lenny & Carl sleep in bunk beds a la Bert & Ernie (and even have a picture of them on the wall), and their girlfriends look like the other one (I've sworn we've seen them before).

Homer buying a boat was dumb. But I liked him roping in everyone else as a co-owner, and the boat instantly sinking with everyone on it. I also liked the salesman ripping Homer off at every opportunity, even in his thoughts. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Ha, Lenny & Carl sleep in bunk beds a la Bert & Ernie (and even have a picture of them on the wall), and their girlfriends look like the other one (I've sworn we've seen them before).

I missed this! Where was it?

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:
7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I missed this! Where was it?

Now I need to watch it again cause I missed it too. Please tell us. That sounds like the funniest part of the show.

2 hours ago, Eataton said:

Now I need to watch it again cause I missed it too. Please tell us. That sounds like the funniest part of the show.

When Homer finds out that his boat has a massive repair bill, he repeatedly tries to get Lenny and Carl's attention to become part owners of the boat.   And in one scene Homer glides by on a desk chair through Lenny/Carl's bedroom while they are sleeping.  Occurs about half way through the episode.

Even funnier, when Homer approaches Lenny/Carl in the power plant cafeteria about the opportunity to invest in his boat, there is a picture of Monty Burns on the wall with the caption 'Employer of the Month'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

My major issue with Lisa is that she is just so joyless and genuinely doesn’t understand why other people aren’t as joyless as she is.  

That's definitely done intentionally. When they use Lisa to occupy the role of "believes in a cause" during the entire 30+ year of this show, she's always been that way. 

She's not an eight year old girl when they do this (although in this episode they called themselves out on it and gave her a cute seal stuffed animal to distract her, which was awesome,) and instead they use her to satirize a very specific type joyless of person. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

their girlfriends look like the other one (I've sworn we've seen them before).

I can't remember which episode but I remember Carl was dating Lenny's sister and Lenny was dating Carl's sister. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 31, Ep 6: Marge The Lumberjill

When Marge realizes that everyone views her as boring, she takes up woodsman competitions as a hobby, which takes her on a month-long retreat to Portland with her trainer.

Airs 11/10/19

Intro: Santa: "What, too soon?!"

Billboard: Krusty The Klown Show: The Only show NOT on Disney+

Chalkboard: Daylight Savings is something I can't spend.

Couch Gag: Pirates of The Caribbean! (working that Disney synergy) 

Really liked all the kid's "plays." The Riverdale spoof was pretty dead on, and I loved that Lisa played herself in her own play, wig and all. Oh yeah, Martin, Sherri & Terri were recast (Grey Griffin voices them now), and sound...mostly the same. The kid playing Marge in the play was a dead-on imitation (I'm sure that was Julie voicing her), and I got a laugh out of Kearney playing Maggie.

Julie Kavner definitely got a workout this week, voicing Marge, the girl playing her, and Patty & Selma.

Timbersports are impressive as hell, and everything her was well animated. It was still weird to see the show tackling it. Of course that Lisa would object to all the deforestation, but I loved that Bart's science textbook was funded by Exxon-Mobil (with the foreword by Mitch McConnell). When Marge's trainer was Patty's friend, I knew we were in for a "Homer & Marge's marriage is in trouble" episode. And of course it wasn't, with a good helping of gay panic jokes.

"Stupid Flanders Street!"

We also finally got a proper Portlandia spoof. We got the theme cameo, the actual streets the characters were named for, CBG selling weed & artisanal salami, and Lisa thinking it's paradise until she finds the one thing wrong with it that makes her want to go home (I don't think she found one). This would've been a REALLY good opportunity for Fred & Carrie's characters from "The Day The Earth Stood Cool" to show up, but they didn't. Boo.

"Portland: What would happen if Woody Harrelson was a city."

"Classic Portland. Where are you from?"
"Springfield?"
"Which one?"
"...I don't know."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, opus said:

The “Boner from Growing Pains” joke was a weird choice, considering the actor killed himself years ago.

I thought he died in a hiking accident? But still, weird pull, but definitely something Ken Jeong might suggest on the show.

16 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I thought he died in a hiking accident? But still, weird pull, but definitely something Ken Jeong might suggest on the show.

He was found hanging from a tree in a Vancouver park, and I believe it was eventually ruled a suicide (he had a history of depression).

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

CBG selling weed & artisanal salami

He's the quirky one in Portland.

I did like how when Homer was freaking out about Marge being gay, when he was looking around the house, there were Everyone Loves Tig dvds.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I did like how when Homer was freaking out about Marge being gay, when he was looking around the house, there were Everyone Loves Tig dvds.

The Bryn Mawr pennant is what did it for me.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:33 PM, Galileo908 said:

I loved that Lisa played herself in her own play, wig and all. Oh yeah, Martin, Sherri & Terri were recast (Grey Griffin voices them now), and sound...mostly the same

Yeah Martin was especially off to me. And I did love Lisa's wig. I actually choked on my water when she came out.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:33 PM, Galileo908 said:

Julie Kavner definitely got a workout this week, voicing Marge, the girl playing her, and Patty & Selma.

Not to mention the voices Marge did in church.

I love the extended lesbian montage at the house. So many things. And I love Portlandia so great to see the spoof/tribute.

Edited by xander874

Season 30, ep 7:

Livin La Pura Vida

The Simpsons jon other Springfield families on the Van Houten's annual trip to Costa Rica, which they obviously can't afford; Homer befriends Patty's new girlfriend; Lisa tracks down the real reason the Van Houten's can go on this trip every year.

Airs 11/17/19

Edited by Galileo908

My parents went to Costa Rica in the past year or so, so I can understand Marge's hype for it. I liked that Marge rushing home was why Lou couldn't go and why Patty went instead.

Marge wanted Homer to be nice to Evelyn, but she got mad when Homer actually bonded with her. What is it?! Make up your mind! I did like irony that Patty was dating the girl version of Homer. Fortune Feimster was the perfect voice for her.

Cornhole is the perfect sport for Homer. Just fat guys tossing beanbags. Also loved Bart carrying that machete around the whole time.

So the Van Houtens are scumbags for charging their friends to pay for their own vacation. Not shocked.

• Love 3

I guessed how the Van Houtens can afford their vacations from the description (and I bet you did too), but I liked the episode anyway. I always enjoy when the plot involves the town in some way.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1

I think this was my favourite episode of the season so far.  I always like the episodes when the Simpsons take a trip somewhere.

I liked the fact that Patty's girlfriend is a female Homer.  So funny.

The Van Houtens cheating their friends for years was hilarious... but I am guessing this is the last year they will be hosting a Multi Family Vacation.

Favourite lines:

Bart and Lisa chanting "CO-STA-RI-CA!  CO-STA-RI-CA" while Homer chants "Airport food court!  Airport food court!"

Marge after losing her waterfall photo: "all I wanted was for my friends to be jealous of me"

Finding out that Patty's middle name is Maleficent.  Now I'm wondering if Selma's middle name is "Evil Queen" from Snow White.

• Love 3

Season 31, Ep 8:

Thanksgiving of Horror

The Simpsons are forced to face various Thanksgiving nightmares, including the first Thanksgiving, an artificial intelligence mishap and a dangerous space mission complicated by a sentient cranberry sauce.

airs 11/24/19

• Love 1

Gotta love Marge introducing the episode like she did for the original THOH.

"What time is dinner?"
"NO ONE KNOWS!"

So true.

A-Gobble-ypto: Loved seeing the characters as turkeys. I really loved how well the voice cast managed to sound like turkeys The Turkey version of Maude got a more dignified death than the human one, at least. Man, this was gory.

"Free birds! Skynyrd them!"

The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow: A version of Marge as Siri. A self-aware one, too. THAT is scary. I thought that this was better than the Pierce Brosnan House, since this time it was Marge competing with herself. Well, it's no Erotic Cakes, but Virtual Marge took refuge in Etsy forever. I was expecting her to go to a version of 4chan or something.

Laughed at Hans Moleman getting run over by the self-driving pizza truck.

The Last Thanksgiving: Man, this was even gorier than the turkey segment. A jelly that ate children's bones on a spaceship.

Say goodbye to Original Voice Martin, folks. I knew the writers weren't expecting to send him off THAT way, but damn. Overall this was a really good one!

EDIT: the Bart Macy's Balloon with creepy music over the credits was the best touch.

Edited by Galileo908
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Gotta love Marge introducing the episode like she did for the original THOH.

"What time is dinner?"
"NO ONE KNOWS!"

So true.

A-Gobble-ypto: Loved seeing the characters as turkeys. I really loved how well the voice cast managed to sound like turkeys The Turkey version of Maude got a more dignified death than the human one, at least. Man, this was gory.

"Free birds! Skynyrd them!"

The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow: A version of Marge as Siri. A self-aware one, too. THAT is scary. I thought that this was better than the Pierce Brosnan House, since this time it was Marge competing with herself. Well, it's no Erotic Cakes, but Virtual Marge took refuge in Etsy forever. I was expecting her to go to a version of 4chan or something.

The Last Thanksgiving: Man, this was even gorier than the turkey segment. A jelly that ate children's bones on a spaceship.

Say goodbye to Original Voice Martin, folks. I knew the writers weren't expecting to send him off THAT way, but damn. Overall this was a really good one!

EDIT: the Bart Macy's Balloon with creepy music over the credits was the best touch.

Wiggum's "Free birds! Skynyrd them!" made me laugh -- loved all the turkey characters.

All of the Black Mirror references in the 2nd vignette were pretty good -- right down to Maggie holding a Waldo doll.

The 3rd vignette was a good play on the movie Alien, especially Martin's respect for the jelly monster's "purity".

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

The Native Americans looking around and backing out was funny. What was Wiggum shoving up his nose?

Bwahahahahahahaha Moleman getting hit by the pizza delivery.

Why is this the last appearance for Martin's actor?

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I also liked the joke about nobody knowing when Thanksgiving dinner is.

The characters as turkeys are cute and I love the plot of the family saving Maggie.

I really felt for A.I. Marge. I'm one of those who thinks inanimate objects have feelings ever since I was a kid. 

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, rubaco said:

What a weird and great episode! They can do this every year, far as I'm concerned.

I agree that it was a good episode, but please don't encourage them to rehash plots they've used before. They do enough of that already and it probably wont live up to your hopes for it. I generally don't like holiday episodes of anything but this one is an exception.

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The Native Americans looking around and backing out was funny. What was Wiggum shoving up his nose?

Why is this the last appearance for Martin's actor?

Wiggum was doing snuff. It looked like he was really tripping from it. haha.                                                                                                                                                                                           As Galileo said, she died. I was expecting some kind of little mention in the end credits. I'm a little disappointed they didn't do that.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:29 PM, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Origami couch!

I could use a cheering up kebab. And a congratulating kebab. And a tater tot vending machine.

Homer drawing on himself was a pretty neat effect. Creepy, but neat. Nevermind, I thought Homer & Bart flossing was creepier.

It was only a matter of time before Homer started a livestream show. Yeah, this wasn't the first time Homer and Bart became viral stars (Angry Dad covered this 15 years ago), and not the first time they covered selling out. It's pretty boring that Homer & Bart's fights come off so forced. But I liked how everyone is outraged that they (gasp) still love each other. It took me a while to realize that the hipster was voiced by John Mulaney.

Once again Homer is disappointed by the Broncos, which he owns.

Why does Lisa know about unions? The history books end at the 1930s. Of course the solution to putting kids to work is putting the teachers to work, since they won't be around kids.

The final punchline being an emotional Simpsons moment getting zero views, while switching to a train crash with millions seems to be a REALLY good metaphor for right now.

Heh, Utica Wild Thighs. I wonder if they serve Steamed Hams?

EDIT: Mike Mendel got a tribute but not Russi Taylor. I mean DAMN.

Is there a reason why Bart and Homer had to take a bath in the back yard?  Could they have been scrubbed in a bathroom?

I liked the surprise with Maggie at the end.

And the mock Stephen A Smith was good.

As was Homer's pick for MVP.

I didn't remember Homer owned the Denver Broncos.

Pretty decent episode.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I enjoyed the episode, but I feel like Football to the Groin would have been mega-viral if that was a thing back then.

Also, I liked the 'monorail' gag.

That was great.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, Galileo908 said:

Oh look, interns that actually went to college.

"I had the most horrible nightmare where I listened to your advice!"

It's weird for Homer to have a fanboy. All those interns were right to mock him. Matt Selman pitched Mike Wegmans as the anti-Frank Grimes, and I can definitely see it. Not shocked he's a bigger loser than Homer. I liked his energy, though. Calling Bart ugly was definitely mean, but I liked Lisa laughing at it. He had some really good animation, too.

I liked seeing all the food trucks. Gummi Ramen sounds disgusting.

I actually enjoyed this one.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Burritos was the best one.

The ramen one was also good.  They had good fusion names.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:48 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Food trucks spotted at the Food Truck Graveyard:
-- Peanut Butter and Jelly Burritos
-- Hoagie Mackerel
-- Banh Mi Smoothies
-- Jumbo Tapas
-- Cheeseburger Dumplings
-- Choco Chicken
-- Que Pasa Kielbasa
-- Fritter Outrage
-- Cheezilla
-- Chicken Pot Arnie's
-- Beet Box
-- Poi Truck Club
-- Dumpling Cheeseburger
-- Springfield Elementary Cafeteria
-- I Dream of Blini
-- Pho-sicles
-- Houston, We Have a Cobbler
-- Hot Foie Sundae
-- Steve's Slices
-- Udon Nuggets
-- Cletus' Chicken Thumbs
-- If I Had a Hambone
-- Everything Au Gratin
-- Gummi Ramen (mentioned upthread)
-- Boba Clams
-- Nobody Likes Quinoa

Michael Rapaport did a really good job as Mike Wegman.

Thanks for posting this.  When watching, I missed the Cobbler one, the Au Gratin one, and the Quinoa one.  Also the Phosicles one.

For episode 2, did Mike's wife Maureen Wegman cheat on her former fiancee, with Mike, at Maureen's first wedding with her then-fiancee?  The wedding at which Mike was a waiter at.

Is that also how Maureen got pregnant with embryo Patrick?

I enjoyed the Thanksgiving episode... they should do one every year!  Curious, are most Simpsons episodes rated TV-13?  Lots of gore and nastiness this time around.  From turkey heads getting violently chopped off to the "get away you BITCH" Marge says to Virtual Marge that caused my 10 year old to look up and say "geeez Dad what kind of show are you watching?"

I much preferred the first and third vignettes over the second one.  I just wasn't feeling the plight of Virtual Marge.  Loved all the turkey versions of the characters. Homer screaming at the executions but then Woohooing for Patty and Selma, too funny.

Loved the outer space vignette and the homage to the Blob movie from back in the day.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:27 PM, Galileo908 said:

On 11/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I remember when classic Simpsons episodes practically made killing Moleman a running gag.  Somebody once made a webpage devoted to "The Many Deaths of Hans Moleman".  I know that this episode and the Halloween episode earlier are, naturally, non-canon, but it's great to see this show getting back to basics and killing Moleman as often as possible.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, Galileo908 said:

San Castellaneta Festival. I see what you did there. Also, the pretty obvious reference to the Sopranos finale.

"Thank you, SuperFish." I really liked Jason Momoa's random cameo. Also, was the Mob Lawyer supposed to be Saul Goodman? He was voiced by Bob Odenkirk.

Of course Marge loves Homer because of he has bounds of unjustified confidence.

Really liked the Fat Tony story. I like that Fat Tony makes toilet pasta. I can't believe there was actual character development on Johnny Tightlips. Of course Frankie The Squealer would sell him out.

I liked the gag of Maggie trying to parallel park her Little Tykes car. Also, Ralph tazed himself to sleep and we don't see him for the rest of the episode. Not to mention Wiggum sucked a bullet out of Homer's ass. That's a thing that happened.

I watched The Sopranos earlier this year.  I finished the series in March.

If this Simpsons episode had aired before then, I would not have gotten those references.

I too liked the reference of Maggie parking her Little Tykes car.

Bob Odenkirk didn't really stand out to me.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Remember the Phrase.

Jason Momoa: "Aquaman is not here for the signing of boobs.  That's a separate event at the Marriott.  Conference Room C."

Kent Brockman: "Peter Piper picked a peck of pocket wallets.  How many paupers did Peter's pocketpicking produce ? <sigh>  I'm afraid no pants are safe from this docker stalker, this chino bandito, this trouser browser.  But Chief Wiggum vows he will solve this pickle of a puzzle."

I liked the "Where's Wallet ?" graphic that accompanied Kent.

Wiggum: "Thief of Polite. Thief of Polite. I said it first."

Lenora Carter: "Your husband's rear end is bigger than the both of us."
<Bart laughs>
Lenora Carter: "With your kid's permission, we can watch your father's butt crack this case wide open."
<Bart and Lisa laugh, Homer chuckles>
Homer: "Wide Open"

Kent Brockman: "The Wolf of Wallet Street ?  Reputed mobster "Fat Tony" D'Amico is finally behind bars."

Love that Sideshow Bob was hit by a pickup truck full of rakes while escaping from Springfield Penitentiary.

The Wheel Of Fortune, and those butt jokes you posted, were also good ones.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: MAGGIE is the evil Simpsons child, right out of The Omen. (Yep, the poster gag made it obvious). I love that Maggie turning Rod & Todd goth and emo, respectively (pus Rodd liking Morrisey) is what sets Flanders off to kill her. I really liked the palindrome gag, and Maggie's "mark of the beast" being Mickey Mouse (the commercials had it as Bart).

"Nemo's just like you! His mommy died at the beginning, too!" Wow, that was dark.

Danger Things: Gotta love that ET The Video Game footage. I think I'd get more out of this if I actually saw Stranger Things, but I liked it nonetheless. I did like how Tracy Ullman versions of Bart & Lisa, plus Moe and CBG looking exactly the same in the Upside Down. I have a feeling that Amazon is less evil there. Okay, Demogorgon Flanders was great.

Heaven Swipes Right: God selling Heaven out to Google was a great bit. I liked Homer's list of people to possess: Hans Moleman, Burns, Prof. Farnsworth, Gritty, and one of the World's Fattest Twins. Homer gradually turning back to normal in his football player body was a really good touch. 

Okay, Homer possessing Moe because he died lead to Moe possessing Maggie for...what I'm assuming for the same reason. I take that back about before, THAT was dark.

When Hairy Met Slimy: A Shape of Water parody with Selma and Kang is both inevitable and genius. I could've done without the random Infinity Gauntlet snap, but otherwise really liked it. Remember that Kodos is Kang's sister, so hooking up with Patty makes sense (Kodos apparently had 32 sexual identities, too...)

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this one! Also, was this the first THOH without ANY celeb cameos at all?

I liked the Maggie open.

I haven't watched Stranger Things, but I could kind of get the gist of it with that story.

I didn't get the "Tough Luck, Dude" reference?

Bart wearing a horizontal striped shirt felt both 80s, and 90s.

I've played Atari when I was younger, but I never knew about the ET game.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, M. Darcy said:

Aw, a take off of Heaven Can Wait.  Heh, which is honestly something I never thought I'd see on a Treehouse Of Horror episode.  

I thought the same thing when I was watching the closing credits. 

It reminded me of both Heaven Can Wait, and Birth.

The Thanksgiving episode was pretty cool.  I especially loved the segment with AI Marge.  I think it might be more enjoyable if you can pick out the Black Mirror references.

The main plot centered around the dark horror of "White Christmas" which includes at one point a man being trapped, immortal, in a cabin for at least 1.4 million years.  Marge was what they call in show "a cookie" and people have no moral qualms about trapping a being that is for all intents and purposes a human, in a dull void for huge stretches of time.  This is a common theme on Black Mirror.

Marge getting downvoted at the end of a segment was a reference to "Nosedive".

Maggie had a Waldo doll from "The Waldo Moment".

AI Marge's plan to escape to the Internet was from "USS Calister".

I think Moleman getting hit by the pizza truck was also a reference, but I forget the episode.  I think it was that one with the insurance agent in the world where a machine can read peoples' memories.

Something had the strange glyph from "Bandersnatch" and "White Bear"

Any other references I missed?