Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Krusty Kon: "It's not weird for adults to be here!"

I really liked Krusty Kon, especially the panel. Boy, have I been to dozens of panels just like it.

Need a screenshot of all the female cartoon characters. Caught Betty Boop, Daria, The Powerpuff Girls and Louise Belcher. It's perfectly in character for the boys of Springfield (including Ralph!) to immediately hate the idea of an all girl Itchy & Scratchy, and for Bart to love it because, well, it's Itchy & Scratchy. Bossy Riot kind of reminded me of Jessica Lovejoy, but there's three of them. And more accepting of Bart. There was the inevitable betrayal, but I liked that, too. A glitter bomb that spoofed the opening of Saving Private Ryan was pretty hardcore, but funny.

You know things have gotten weird when Milhouse is the Alpha of the boys. So much so that it rekindled Kirk & LuAnn's love life. I also caught the other Van Houtens on the picture above Kirk & LuAnn: Grandpa from "Flying Hellfish," Grandma from "Bart Sells His Soul," and Milhouse's cousin voiced by Clarice Van Houten.

"We need a sorority, but for boys." Just about every boy character was in BRA at the end, right?

Marge: "I don't know what to be liberal about anymore." Okay, that one HAD to be Megan's line.

Hell, I really liked this one, and if there was something I didn't like, it was Lisa pronouncing gif with a J-sound. It's hard G or nothing.

22 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Need a screenshot of all the female cartoon characters. Caught Betty Boop, Daria, The Powerpuff Girls and Louise Belcher.

Thankfully, Matt Selman provided. Seems I missed Miss Grundy from Archie.

D2doiwQUcAAnqMl.jpg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

A glitter bomb that spoofed the opening of Saving Private Ryan was pretty hardcore, but funny.

I knew it was something like that but didn't remember. The bathroom candy killed me. There's always something in women's bathrooms. One of them from grad school had an easy chair in it. 

I liked Lisa ranting about the lack of pockets. One of the students did that to me last year. 

I don't know who Megan is, but this was an enjoyable episode. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Booth signs at Krusty-Kon:
-- Sideshow Bob Prison Art Gallery
-- Krusty Vape Pens -- Say 'Hey Hey!' to 99 Vape Flavors
-- Krusty Vials and Beakers
-- Absolut Krusty
-- Krusty's Stunt Doubles Autograph Booth

I liked the 'Krusty embedded in carbonite like Han Solo' art piece.
Also liked that each of Sideshow Bob's paintings had prison window bars in each painting.

The cover of 'Cups' on the new Itchy and Scratchy cartoon was pretty good.

Music tracks were good in the episode -- Cherry Bomb by The Runaways (which was on the Guardians of the Galaxy 1 movie soundtrack) and Extreme Ways by Moby (which is the theme music from the Jason Bourne movies) at the end as Lisa rode off with Bossy Riot, and over the credits.

Lisa: "This is someone else's war. And you, you're just a mercenary."
Bart: "Mercenaries are cool, like Boba Fett."
Homer (as he puts butter on a slice of pepperoni pizza), says sarcasticaly: "Oh yeah, Boba Fett. Great character."
Bart: "Boba Fett's bad ass. He wears a jet pack AND a cape."
Homer: "Pick a lane weirdo."
Lisa: "Why does every discussion about feminism turn into an argument about Star Wars ?"
Homer: "If Boba Fett is such a great bounty hunter, why is his armor all banged up ?"
Bart: "Ugh, it's a look. Like distressed denim."

During the B.R.A. burning protest recording.
Milhouse: "I told you not to light the toys yet."
Nelson: "I didn't, they just burst into flames."

Bart: "Don't have a lady cow."
Carmen the BR member: "All cows are ladies."

Krusty the Clown show, presented by:
-- UFC Cologne for Men
-- Safe-T Crotch Jock Straps
-- Gun Balm Bicep Oil
-- Chaw Boy Kid Chaw

• Love 4

I noticed as  Bart was talking to the other guys in front of the convention center, you could see Ned Flanders and his kids walking out behind them, holding Itchy & Scratchy balloons and wearing character hats.  I would think that Ned wouldn't let his kids watch such a violent cartoon and would never take them to any type of '-con'.  Have we seen them watch that cartoon before? (Or even watch Krusty's show? Although I know they eat at  Krusty Burger.)

(And now I have 'Cherry Bomb' stuck in my head!)

• Love 2

That was a weird one. 

I get the feeling that we were meant to be siding with Lisa but her rant seemed really off base; Bart all but worshiped Bossy Riot and was desperate to be part of their gang. Obviously he wasn't read up on feminist theory but his admiration for the older girls seemed a hundred percent genuine, even though they treated him like crap. How is he a 'mercenary' again?

The showed also forgot to make the BRAs actually villainous. I get why they why the writers would balk at Milhouse and Nelson viciously trolling female characters on the internet or indeed in school but the only thing we actually saw them do was 'hate non-watch' Itchy & Scratchy and stage a protest outside the studio. It just seems weird that we're meant to cheer at these children who were immature but didn't actually hurt anyone get their comeuppance while Bossy Riot, who committed a petty vandalism spree, tried to destroy a beloved tv show and were relentlessly mean to the adoring Bart rode off into the sunset lionised as heroines. Um, yay?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Lazlo said:

That was a weird one. 

I get the feeling that we were meant to be siding with Lisa but her rant seemed really off base; Bart all but worshiped Bossy Riot and was desperate to be part of their gang. Obviously he wasn't read up on feminist theory but his admiration for the older girls seemed a hundred percent genuine, even though they treated him like crap. How is he a 'mercenary' again?

The showed also forgot to make the BRAs actually villainous. I get why they why the writers would balk at Milhouse and Nelson viciously trolling female characters on the internet or indeed in school but the only thing we actually saw them do was 'hate non-watch' Itchy & Scratchy and stage a protest outside the studio. It just seems weird that we're meant to cheer at these children who were immature but didn't actually hurt anyone get their comeuppance while Bossy Riot, who committed a petty vandalism spree, tried to destroy a beloved tv show and were relentlessly mean to the adoring Bart rode off into the sunset lionised as heroines. Um, yay?

Like I said in my earlier post, the show holding up the girls of Bossy Riot as feminist heroes was disgusting.  They were not feminist activists.  They were bullies / vandals who used feminism as a cover. 

As for the boys, I'm not sure what they were going for there.  For me, the joke seemed like less of a joke on the Men's Rights movements, and more like a joke on the idea of Milhouse being popular and leading people.

• Love 1

I hated the "Bully" Riot too. And once again Lisa is all talk. And shrill. Since she thinks Bart joined a group without knowing what feminism is about, she could have explained it to him without screaming that it's not fair he's in a cool club and she's not!!!

• Love 2

Lisa is scouted by the director of the Capitol City Philharmonic, to her band teacher's dismay; Homer works extra shifts at the plant, putting strain on the family.

Written by Nancy Cartwright!

Airs 3/31/19

Title: Leprechaun fighting North Irish Leprechaun

Chalkboard: "I am not a Grandmother" (shoutout to Nancy Cartwright, I assume)

Couch Gag: Everyone is in black except for Homer.

Billboard: Springfield: Come for Whacking Day, Stay for Snake Chowder!

Heh, an episode featuring Mr. Largo? and they show his husband? Really interesting to see. I did like how they finally pointed out that NO ONE knows what exactly Milhouse is playing in the opening.

Bringing in JK Simmons to reprise his Whiplash character just to make everyone play 80s tv theme songs was pretty genius. He was so good in this. Also, that was Dave Matthews as Lloyd the bartender a la The Shining. That was...odd.

I liked Homer offering to pull a Breaking Bad by selling his complete series set, but Marge & Homer didn't listen to the commentaries yet. Also typical Homer when he realized that he was pulling all those double shifts for Lisa playing jazz, and not playing for the Utah Jazz. Gotta keep the status quo to have Lisa intentionally fail to make everyone happy. Sad, but seems steeped in truth, though.

I liked Daws Butler Hall, yet another shout out to Nancy (she took VO lessons from him).

16 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Billboard: Springfield: Come for Whacking Day, Stay for Snake Chowder!

Technically, that Billboard was from the flashback to 1999.  But still funny though. 
I know the Simpsons play loose with dates, since no one ages, but the problem is that Mr. Largo has been Lisa's teacher since Season 1 which took place in .... 1990.  

Agnes Skinner: Buffer !!

Ralph: "I'm in the F-hole."

Smithers: "Simpson, what the hell are you doing ?  Back to your post."
Homer: "Geez, I nearly went insane just to put my kid in an afterschool music class. I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.  Please, don't fire me."
Burns: "Oh don't worry, what happens on the night shift STAYS on the night shift."
Jack Torrance from the movie 'The Shining': "I'm not gonna hurt ya, I'm just gonna bash yer brains in."
Burns: "Ah, ha, ha, there's are head of Human Resources now."

Maggie's Sketch 'n' Etch drawings all consisted of Da Vinci works:
-- The Mona Lisa (with a soother)
-- The Last Supper
-- Vitruvian Man (but with Lisa holding her saxophone, a head of broccoli, a report card with straight As, and a piece of paper with 'You are Lisa Simpson' on it.)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Technically, that Billboard was from the flashback to 1999.  But still funny though. 
I know the Simpsons play loose with dates, since no one ages, but the problem is that Mr. Largo has been Lisa's teacher since Season 1 which took place in .... 1990.  

Under the current continuity both Bart (aged 10) and Lisa (aged 8 ) would have been born during the Obama presidency. I think we just have to take it as read that some jokes and references just don't work with a floating timeline. For instance Homer as a teenager listening to music during the moon landing or Marge voting for Jimmy Carter (twice!) which if calculated from the current season would make both Homer and Marge north of sixty.

I'm more puzzled by the fact that Mr. Largo, mostly bald and grey-white with what hair he has left, is apparently only about forty. If I'd have to pick an aged I'd have said mid-fifties at an absolute minimum.

• Love 1

It only took 30 years for Mr. Largo to get a story, although it ended up not being about him and he disappeared 10 minutes in until the end. Dewey's husband reminded me of Ian McKellan's character on the show Vicious (very catty and funny). I think they had an old dog too.

I liked the Whiplash story even if it is 5 years old. 

Marge becomes director of Springfield's local theater, armed with Lisa's script resembling "Hamilton."; Homer joins a baby class with Maggie, and he takes a liking to supervisor Chloe.

Airs 4/7/19

(edited)

Title: Three headed bully dragon!

Billboard: Springfield Isotopes: Already out of the playoffs

Chalkboard: I Will Not write "Audit Please" on Homer's Tax Returns

Couch Gag: "My Three Kids" spoofing the "My Three Sons" intro.

Llewellyn Sinclair is back! Wait, twice in one season?! I enjoyed the Oklahoma he tried to put on. 

I liked the Chekhov's Gun book written by Sideshow Bob. I also liked all the headshots in the Penny Loafer. Letterman got a MUCH bigger picture than Leno did, and I appreciated the prominence of Stan Lee.

"Show business is BASED on risks. Risks and comic books." So true, Krusty.

Okay, Lisa is writing a Hamilton-esque musical about Jebediah Springfield and NOT bringing up anything about Hans Sprungfeld. Calling SO MUCH BULLSHIT ON THIS. Yeah, I was waiting for a reference to that to spring up, but it never came, You don't advertise "warts and all" and never mention the warts! But I still liked the musical even without any of that. Who knew Frink had such a heavenly singing voice? And I liked seeing John Lithgow as the bear.

Homer's plot was cute, but didn't really go anywhere. And damn, a cameo by Okilly Dokilly at the end there.

Edited by Galileo908
20 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: "My Three Kids" spoofing the "My Three Sons" intro.

I really liked the 'My Three Sons' couch gag.  Complete with Groundskeeper Willie as Angry Uncle Angus.  Uncle Charley would approve.
Here's a better clip of the 'My Three Sons' intro credits, that shows the animations for better comparison.

22 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Okay, Lisa is writing a Hamilton-esque musical about Jebediah Springfield and NOT bringing up anything about Hans Sprungfeld. Calling SO MUCH BULLSHIT ON THIS. Yeah, I was waiting for a reference to that to spring up, but it never came, You don't advertise "warts and all" and never mention the warts! But I still liked the musical even without any of that. 

Agreed, that seemed really odd leaving out any reference to Hans Sprungfeld the pirate, or his silver tongue.

24 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Homer's plot was cute, but didn't really go anywhere. 

So, the baby class instructor was very ... attractive and flexible.  But it wasn't just Homer who was into her, pretty much every other red-blooded male in Springfield had the same opinion.   Ergo the lineup to get into the class.  But you could have left that sub-plot out entirely.

27 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And damn, a cameo by Okilly Dokilly at the end there.

We were, the viewers, supposed to know who that band was ? Or what their connection was to the show or this episode in particular ?  Because I got nothing.  Never heard of them before tonight.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

We were, the viewers, supposed to know who that band was ? Or what their connection was to the show or this episode in particular ?  Because I got nothing.  Never heard of them before tonight.

They're a metal band themed after Ned Flanders. They dress like him and sing songs about him.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Other books on Marge's coffee table:
-- Stanislavski!
-- Theatre of the Oppressed
-- Brecht - The Mother
-- Peter Brook - The Empty Space
-- A Director Prepares - Anne Bogart
-- Act One - Moss Hart

On 4/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, Galileo908 said:

They're a metal band themed after Ned Flanders. They dress like him and sing songs about him.

Thanks @Galileo908 -- learn something new every day.  :)

Sideshow Mel: "Krusty, what's wrong ?"
Krusty: "It's happened. The worst possible thing that can happen to a performer."
Sideshow Mel: "What do you mean ?"
Krusty: "I'm in an article entitled 'Where are they now ?'  Oh, ha, ha, ha, ha.  Right above Judd Nelson and New Coke. I'll tell you where Judd Nelson is -- he's on my show tonight." 

I know that the show must go on, but that was a ridiculous amount of flooding, bordering on the Canals of Springfield art piece that Homer did many seasons ago. The Lardlad donut statue was floating along in the background.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'll tell you where Judd Nelson is -- he's on my show tonight." 

They reran Krusty's movie episode prior where Judd Nelson wouldn't come out of his trailer so I liked the callback. 

• Love 2
On 4/8/2019 at 2:13 PM, ganesh said:

They reran Krusty's movie episode prior where Judd Nelson wouldn't come out of his trailer so I liked the callback. 

Would have been even better if the Krusty episode that night had been sponsored by New Coke.  Yes, impossible I know, but that's the Simpsons universe.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:46 AM, Lazlo said:

I'm more puzzled by the fact that Mr. Largo, mostly bald and grey-white with what hair he has left, is apparently only about forty. If I'd have to pick an aged I'd have said mid-fifties at an absolute minimum.

I didn't think anything of it while watching the episode, but I just happened to catch "Homer's Paternity Coot" from season 17 and in that episode Mr. Largo got accepted into Julliard forty years in the past.

Marge must rescue Lisa when she is mistakenly granted political asylum in Canada while on a vacation to Niagara Falls; Homer takes Maggie to a "Daddy and Me" class.

EDIT: The "Daddy & Me" class was from an earlier episode, but was attached to this episode's description for some reason.

Edited by Galileo908
  • LOL 1

Title: Maypole!

Billboard: Moe's: Cinco de Mayo/Mother's Day Special!

Chalkboard: HAW HAW! (flips over to reveal Nelson duct taped to it)

Couch Gag: Going through various sitcoms (seen already): Honeymooners, Dick Van Dyke Show, Brady Bunch, Cheers, Simpsons.

"We're heading to the one place that can never decline because it was never that great: Upstate New York!" God, that's so true. I used to vacation there every year and that whole song about it nailed how terrible it is.

So we went from a plot with Mount Splashmore, to a Niagara Falls joke, and then a story about crossing the border for asylum? So how many times have we seen the family go to Canada now? I do love how Barney became the soul of Springfield after Lisa left. So Canada is essentially Cypress Creek? And we finally get to see how Lisa would've handled that school? And seriously, this was not the first episode where Lisa liked a family different than hers. I did like how they kind of pointed out how Canada is terrible, too. They didn't mention the mistreatment of First Nation citizens, but I liked how Justin Trudeau (impersonated) fled the second Lisa brought up an actual scandal.

"But as it now says on the Statue of Liberty: 'No re-entry without hand stamp.'"

"Where do you get a hand stamp?" "

There isn't one."

Sigh.

I LOVED Louis Armstrong getting fed up about appearing in Lisa's fantasies and being the one to convince her to come up. And I got a big laugh at everyone in Lisa's fantasy (sans Judy Blume) crossing over to Canada for the weed.

• Love 1

I got a big laugh when Sideshow Bob walked into the Cheers bar. 

The upstate NY song was great. 

Lots of great lines tonight. Ned Flanders to the North. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

I thought the writers of this episode were in heavy political snark mode, and it was biting commentary.

Homer: "Separating kids from their parents, that's our thing."

Zing !!

That song about Upstate New York was point on as well, especially about how so many companies are closing up shop.

Geoffrey the Giraffe trying to hang himself but he was too tall for the rope.  Ouch !!

This is not the first time that they have gone to Canada and mentioned free health care.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought the writers of this episode were in heavy political snark mode, and it was biting commentary.

Lisa swearing about the president was gold. I liked the snark though. I can't wait till tomorrow to hear all the whining about the Simpons' political agenda. 

Lincoln riding Dumbo. 

(There's no such thing as 'nuclear ash' btw).

Edited by ganesh

I thought it was amusing when Homer knocked over the Mt. Splashmore sign to reveal the Mt. Splashmore Biological Warfare Test Range sign, considering that water parks are basically petri dishes.

Marge: "Circuit City over run by wild dogs."
2 dogs were fighting over a boombox, and 7 dogs were wearing headphones

Homer: "Start watching Fox News. Stop watching your weight. There is no fancy part of it, Upstate New York.
              They're fond of their booze, hot wing sauce is great, I'm gonna clog my heart in it, Upstate New York.
              I want to sleep in, in a city that never wakes.  And find I fit right in, one of the gang, par for the course.
              The Kodak Plant closed.  But I'm a longing to stay. And go on disability in Upstate New York.
              Can't make it anywhere, but I can make it there, I love you so, Upstate New York."

The rapidly declining Utica population sign was spot on. 

Watching people take digital selfies while the Kodak plant is demolished.  Oh, the irony !!

The dancing mascots were for opioids, lotto tickets, the Borscht Belt, the Syracuse Orangemen, 1980 Lake Placid Olympics and the Dime (with FDR on it).

Buffalo:  Benedict Arnold fought here baby !

Lisa's IV drip was coming from a bag of maple syrup.

Doctor: "Your daughter's fine, but I recommend a 5 day stay."
Homer: "Of course, of course, we'll take out a 3rd mortgage."
Doctor: "Sir, you're in Canada now where your health care is freeeeeee !"
Lisa: "Free health care, why can't America do that ?"
Homer: "She's delirious Doc. America can't pay for health care AND give corporations the tax breaks they so desperately need."

Burn !!

Correction to my previous post
Homer: "You can't separate us from our child, that's America's thing."

Kent Brockman: "Local smarty pants Lisa Simpson has been abducted by Americas's Ned Flanders to the North, Canada.  Here in Springfield reactions to Lisa's loss have been loud and uninformed." 

Mr. Largo (about Lisa): "She was the only one in this band worth a tinker's damn."
Band moans
Mr. Largo:  "Oh come on. You know you all stink. We've been working on the same song for 30 years."

Spotted at Lisa's Canadian school (Alanis Morrissette Elementary School):
-- Food Pyramid of Poutine -- Gravy, French Fries, Cheese Curds
-- Science, by Scientists text book (with a 'Not Available in Texas' sticker on the cover)
-- picture of Gordie Howe (which is a callback to the Season 3 episode 'Bart the Lover' where Bart created an online dating match for Mrs. Krabappel using Gordie Howe's photo)
-- picture of Sir John A. MacDonald (first prime minister of Canada)
-- an up to date map of Canada (10 provinces, 3 territories)

A child friendly version of the The HandMaid's Tale -- I don't know about that.

Blinky the 3 eyed fish is on Springfield license plates -- I forgot about that.
The production code for the episode, YABF14, was the number on the license plate of the teens going to Canada for beer.

Sign outside the house when Marge where Lisa is staying -- "Give us your Alec Baldwins, your Lena Dunhams, yearning to breathe free"
Which is a play on 'The New Colossus' at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

Lisa: "But this country is better.  Their Fox News is just news about foxes."

Ralph yelling "I'm a Newfie" and then clubbing that stuffed fur seal pup and using it's head for a soccer ball, was pushing the envelope.  I'm surprised PETA didn't protest this episode.
Better question -- how did Ralph get to Canada exactly ?

American Consulate - Coming Soon - Julian Assange.
I wonder if that was added after Assange's recent removal from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.

Kent Brockman: "Our top story tonight -- Estranged Brew.  Marge Simpson and her daughter have now been banned from the United States just like asbestos.  And this just in -- asbestos is back into America's hospitals and schools."
Principal Skinner: "Let me just say this asbestos will be re-installed with the greatest of care."
Followed by a scene of Willie pouring loose asbestos into a hole in the wall he just made.

• Love 1

It was really Judy Blume!! 

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

There's no such thing as 'nuclear ash' btw)

Between Mr. Burns and Homer, I wouldn't be surprised if Springfield Nuclear Plant somehow made it possible to exist. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

This is not the first time that they have gone to Canada and mentioned free health care.

The plot of Midnight Rx was built around it (and featured Canadian Ned Flanders offering our Flanders some legal reefarino)

19 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

picture of Gordie Howe (which is a callback to the Season 3 episode 'Bart the Lover' where Bart created an online dating match for Mrs. Krabappel using Gordie Howe's photo)

Online dating?! That was done the old fashioned way, through a personals ad!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The plot of Midnight Rx was built around it (and featured Canadian Ned Flanders offering our Flanders some legal reefarino)

Online dating?! That was done the old fashioned way, through a personals ad!

You're right -- it was personal ads.  Oh how times have changed.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Galileo908 said:

Okay, Lisa is writing a Hamilton-esque musical about Jebediah Springfield and NOT bringing up anything about Hans Sprungfeld. Calling SO MUCH BULLSHIT ON THIS. Yeah, I was waiting for a reference to that to spring up, but it never came, You don't advertise "warts and all" and never mention the warts! But I still liked the musical even without any of that. Who knew Frink had such a heavenly singing voice? And I liked seeing John Lithgow as the bear.

There was a picture of Hans Sprungfeld on Lisa's wall when she was writing the musical.

• Useful 1