Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

That moment in "Lisa the Simpson" got to me when Lisa goes on the local news under the false pretense of arguing against Proposition 305 ("you're against discount bus fares for war widows?"). I mean, at the end of the day, what makes us ourselves is all we really have left, and to think you're losing even that .... it's so sad. But she makes the best of it and shares all the wonderful things to appreciate about being smart and inquisitive, including a book recommendation for "possibly the best book about the art of turtle-stacking," Yertle the Turtle. It was just very sweet.

When Bart shoplifts in that one episode and then thinks Marge doesn't love him anymore. It breaks my heart when he asks Mrs. Van Houten if he can watch her do "Mom stuff." (My mom died a few years ago, and sometimes even as an adult, I wish I could ask that question of someone.) I like that Bart makes it up to Marge at the end with the photo.

• Love 1

I love "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer": it's got "the Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango" [thanks for the spelling assist, Wikipedia!] (grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum), Marge's soulmate-worthy deduction of Homer's location, Bart eyeing Homer's silhouette and noting that it was either Homer, "or Batman had really let himself go," chilli boots, hot pants--I could go on all day. Plus, I stan for Johnny Cash, and his space coyote, er, I mean spirit guide, was hilarious. "What should I do? Should I get rid of all of my possessions? // If anything, you should get more possessions! You don't even have a computer!"

I love at the end where he says,"In your face, Space Coyote!"

• Love 1

Marge: "I don't think you should wear a tie with a short-sleeved shirt."

Homer: "Aww, Sipowicz does!"

Marge: "And if Detective Sipowicz jumped off a cliff, would you do that too?"

Edited by honeywest
  • Love 1

I wish I was Sipowicz.

If you like to watch your TV, and I mean really watch it, you want the Carnivale. It features two-pronged wall plug, pre-molded hand grip well, durable outer casing to prevent fall-apart ....

• Love 1

I can't think of any episodes off the top of my head that I'd put in the worst category because I watched this show obsessively as a kid - i.e., from the beginning until circa 2000 - and then got busy with life, and missed the decline. I'm just here to add that I vividly remember when Maude Flanders died because I went into my parents' room and told my mom about it, in total shock because it was the first time a main-ish character had been killed off on one of my shows, let alone an animated show. Being a pre-teen, I thought the way they killed her off was pretty funny but my mom was not impressed. She said it was tasteless and morbid. 

I do not want to see this panda rape episode people are talking about, though I will admit getting quite a kick out of the La Grunta episode of King of the Hill. Maybe because they used it as a learning experience for Hank, so he could help Luanne stand up to lecherous customers./offtopic

If I had to choose a worst episode of the ones I remember off the top of my head, I'd choose Bart vs Australia. I just remember waiting for something to either touch me or make me laugh, and the only thing that came close for me was Bart's frog ruining the ecosystem.

• Love 1

Bart's human moments just kill me. Two that have hit me recently have already been mentioned here - Bart thinking Marge doesn't love him anymore squeezes my heart every time. Just last night I BAWLED at him and Michael Jackson singing the birthday song to Lisa. Especially the lines that Bart sings himself: "He gave me the gift of a little sister and I'm proud of you today...." "I wish you better than your heart desires" I'M ACTUALLY CRYING NOW FROM TYPING IT.

Also when Lisa gets Bart's soul back. /heartstrings

• Love 1

I do not want to see this panda rape episode people are talking about, though I will admit getting quite a kick out of the La Grunta episode of King of the Hill. Maybe because they used it as a learning experience for Hank, so he could help Luanne stand up to lecherous customers./offtopic

I feel the need to point out that while the panda rape scene was intended to be funny, it was also treated as a low point for Homer. And afterwards he decided (with Lisa's help) to quit humiliating himself and donate the money he made to the less fortunate.

Staying on the subject of "Homer vs. Dignity", if you look up one of the other endings they considered, you'll see the episode could have been much worse.

Well that was pretty boring. I think the only time I smiled was at Mr. Burns' falling in love with the cardboard cutout of Mother Hubbard and was picturing all of the weird, embarrassing things that he would have Smithers do...that didn't happen.

I'm having more fun playing Tapped Out then I am enjoying most of the new Simpsons episodes nowadays.

• Love 1

I can't begin to pick a favorite episode. I love the songs though, for sure - Monorail, We Put The Spring In Springfield, Who Needs the Quik E Mart, Journey Through The Betty Ford Clinic, etc etc.

One moment that has made me howl with laughter even when I know it's coming - Sideshow Bob and Cecil fighting over the dam, Bart jumps on Cecil (voiced by David Hyde Pierce) saying "GUESS WHO?" and Cecil guesses "Maris?"

kills me every time. 

I recently rewatched The City of New York vs Homer Simpson and it is pure gold. The Betty Ford song is probably my favorite Simpsons song ever, and the ending with the family begging Homer for a return visit as more revolting, putrid trash slithers all over his face...

I feel the need to point out that while the panda rape scene was intended to be funny, it was also treated as a low point for Homer. And afterwards he decided (with Lisa's help) to quit humiliating himself and donate the money he made to the less fortunate.

Ooooh, okay, that part rings a bell! I would have remembered right off the bat if that whole thing really bothered me, but since I forgot about it all I guess it just registered as an unremarkable episode.

I'm having more fun playing Tapped Out then I am enjoying most of the new Simpsons episodes nowadays.

Isn't that the truth? But I totally want my own Mother Hubbard shop for my Springfield.

I kept hoping they would acknowledge the other stores Marge has opened over the years. From what I remember, she opened that women's fitness gym and still owned it when the episode ended. This just seemed so stale and that is a sad to me. Continuity is either really great or really bad on this show and I realize 25 years of episodes is a lot to consider, but did  no one stop and wonder if Marge has been a business owner before. A great gag would've been the uniforms from the gym, the pretzel place, Moe's, etc hanging in the closet.

That would have made a great sight gag, xander874, seeing all of Marge's uniforms from the businesses she owned.

I just remembered something else that made me smile: Mr. Teeny dumping Krusty and hitting Marge's sandwich fixins. I heart Mr. Teeny. :-)

• Love 1

To me this was the funniest episode I have seen in a long time. The trash talking was hilarious. Plus I loved the line about how milk is just for babies and old people to drink before bed so they can forget about what they did in the war. 

Plus marge was wearing the Tom Landry hat. Actually both plots really worked. And I loved how the fantasy football team is called the Pigskin Pals.

I love the whole Mystery Date exchange in Summer of 4ft2. 

Marge: Okay Bart, your turn, your turn!........ You got the dud! Hahahahah.
Homer: Hey! He looks just like you poindexter. Ahahahaha.

and then later:

Homer: You’ve got friends—you’ve got the dud right here. Stand up for yourself, Poindexter!

I am not sure why but I find it hilarious how much Homer hates Milhouse. In the Rodney Dangerfield ep we also get this line after Burns asks Homer if his son brings home his nitwit friend.

HomerOh, all the time!  Have you ever heard of this kid Milhouse? He's a little wiener...

I am sure this will be unpopular but I loved the Behind the Music themed episod that they did. I especially love Marge telling Homer to go poop in his hat. Another favorite of mine is A Fish Called Selma. I still remember all the words from the Planet Of The Apes musical.

• Love 3

I am sure this will be unpopular but I loved the Behind the Music themed episod that they did. I especially love Marge telling Homer to go poop in his hat. Another favorite of mine is A Fish Called Selma. I still remember all the words from the Planet Of The Apes musical.

I LOVE the Behind the Music episode.  

"I want to set the record straight -  I thought the cop was a prostitute." *emphatic head nod*

"But interracial homoeroticism was only chapter one of Encyclopedia Self-Destructica."

"That's ridiculous! How could I even get all five necessary drops into her cereal?"

• Love 2

Actually Maggie Roswell has been doing the voice of her for some time, so I think Manjula is safe.  I didn't know she was first voiced by Jan Hooks though.  Wow.

Actually, I do know that Tress MacNeille (also the voice actress for Mom, on Futurama and Angans Skinner on the Simpsons (to just name a few other voice work) ) did the voice of Manjula for one episode, after Jane Hooks left the show. In all honestly, I haven't heard nor seen Manjula for some time and I did wonder who replaced her. Are you positive that it's Maggie Roswell who does the voice now?

Homer: I had to fight. Lenny said his dad is Hulk Hogan and I know he's not.

Mr. Burns: Somebody up there likes me.

Smithers: Somebody down here likes you too, sir.

Mr. Burns: Shut up.

Lisa: And any time I hear the wind blow it will whisper the name Edna.

Marge: That's very good, Lisa.

Homer: P.S, I am gay.

Lisa: Dad! The flash must have scrambled their circuits!

Homer: What are you, the narrator?

This Sunday is also a Treehouse of Horror Block Party! October 19 all times EDT

4pm: Season 17: On Halloween, Bart is replaced by a robotic boy after he falls into a coma; Burns hunts down Homer in a most dangerous game; a witch transforms trick-or-treaters into the costumes they're wearing.

4:30pm: Season 18: The Simpsons appear in three bone-chilling tales of horror: Homer turns into a rampaging blob after a meteor falls to Earth; a legendary creature from Jewish folklore does Bart's bidding; a radio broadcast convinces townspeople they're being invaded by aliens from another planet.

5pm: Season 19: In three horrific tales of Halloween terror: Homer and Marge attempt to eliminate one another after discovering their secret identities; Bart and Lisa aid Kodos the space alien, unaware of his true intentions; Flanders uses the seven deadly sins to punish Bart and his prankster friends.

5:30pm: Season 20: On Halloween, Transformer-like robots duke it out in Springfield; Homer kills off celebrities so their likenesses can be exploited; the Simpsons appear in a spoof of a “Peanuts” Halloween special.

6pm: Season 21: Classic movie monsters are attacked by their spouses; Lisa and Bart exchange murders in a Hitchcock spoof; Bart is the key to saving Springfield from zombies; Moe's microbrewery mixes beer with Homer's blood.

6:30pm: Season 22: Bart and Milhouse use their videogame skills to save Springfield after classic board games threaten to destroy the city; a “Dead Calm” spoof features a vacationing Homer and Marge rescuing a stranger who may or may not be a murderer; Lisa falls in love with a hunky vampire in a spoof of the “Twilight” films.

7pm: Season 23: In three terrifying Halloween tales, Homer discovers a unique way to communicate with his family after he's paralyzed by a spider-bite; a spoof of “Dexter” features Homer tricking Flanders into murdering his enemies; a spoof of the movie “Avatar” features Bart as a tentacled alien.

7:30pm: Season 24: In these three Halloween tales, a black hole threatens to destroy Springfield; the Simpsons are terrorized by the unknown in a spoof of “Paranormal Activity”; Bart time travels in a spoof of “Back to the Future.”

• Love 1

Share and discuss your favorite (and least favorite) non-main 5 characters. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and want to hear from you!

I am always happy to see the Flanders family, Lovejoy, Krabappel, Mr Burns, the Skinners, Nelson and to a lesser extent, Quimby and the Sea Captain.

Krusty is essential but I've never been invested in his episodes. Same with Moe and Barney.

Oh, and I have to include Apu and Mr Smithers as favorites.... Especially since I had childhood crushes on them :\

Edited by SeenYouWitKieffah

Number 1, no contest, Sideshow Bob. I love Kelsey Grammer, and I always have to catch myself when I say that I don't buy him in any role other than Frasier -- because then I remember that he plays Sideshow Bob, and I totally buy him as a wild-haired psycho with a love for musicals whose only goal is to kill Bart. 

Number 2, Ralph Wiggum. In need of a non-sequitur? Look no further than Ralph. "My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Treehouse of Horror time! From SNPP:

-When Bart reads some symbols carved to the bottom of his desk, he transports himself and Lisa to a demon-filled universe
-In a spoof of "A Clockwork Orange", "Marge" wants "Homer" to leave "Moe's" gang;
-The Simpsons are visited a a strangely familiar family...including The Mother With No First Name...it's the Simpsons from The Tracey Ullman Show (and yes, while the names Homer, Bart, Lisa, Maggie, and Simpson are used in the shorts, Marge is never named - even in the credits, it's always "Mom" or "Mrs. Simpson")

• Love 1

Cold Open: Longtime holdouts Prince and Bruce Springsteen on the show?! Well, all the "guest stars" were strung up anyway. Liked seeing the clip reel of every past THoH (though the last few clips seemed made up. The last few got WEIRD)

School is Hell: Really loved the designs of everything in Hell School. And of course Bart would be an A student in it. Also, loved seeing the donut torture machine in the background. Man, when was the last time somebody referenced Hot Stuff? I'll agree with the writers, his lame comics belong in Super Hell.

Bart getting an "A" in "Keeping the Yankees in First Place?" Heh, nice to see that Yankees gag back in "Bart Gets Hit By A Car" go full circle. You know, the bit where Satan doesn't expect Bart back in hell until the Yankees win the pennant. Which at the time was "a century from now," but was actually about three years later.

Anyone else notice Martin holding a copy of "Naked Lunch?"

A Clockwork Yellow: This is where I admit to not have seen A Clockwork Orange yet to appreciate all the little jokes, but I enjoyed it just the same. But seeing Moe in the Malcolm McDowell role was awesome. "These eye clamps are the only way I can tolerate today's TV." DEFINITELY not the first time the show parodied the Ludovico scene. Or have someone dress up as a droog. Or hell, most of the Kubrick references at the end have been done before. But I do like how the segment eventually broke down into various Kubrick parodies, with Kubrick himself wanting to scrap the whole thing.

Speaking of obscure comic references, loved seeing The Schmoo having a cameo in statue form.

The Others: Yeah LOVED the Simpsons being haunted by the Tracy Ullman versions of themselves. But man, Marge killing herself to be more attractive to Homer (Tracy Ullman!Marge wasn't bitter yet) was DARK. As was the implication that Willie killed Maggie. But all the alternate versions of the Simpsons showing at the end was AWESOME. The Lego versions! Adventure Time versions! South Park! Minions! Hell, I spotted an Archer version of the family!

EDIT: BTW, that was John Ratzenberger as CGI Homer.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Some of the other versions threw me off so I didn't recognize them but the South Park version rendered Maggie Canadian because of the beady eyes (which I don't mind at all) and I need a minion Simpsons plush toy in my life.  

Oh yeah, appreciated seeing Dr. Marvin Monroe again. Love how they acknowledged that he's neither alive nor dead, just in some kinda limbo.

ETA: I also wish that segment focused a bit on Lisa, she probably had the most character development. Early Lisa was fun, rambunctious, pretty much a smarter version of Bart. Current Lisa is quiet, self-righteous, vegetarian and Buddhist, Early Lisa would've freaked at that.

Edited by Galileo908

The site ate my post when I was 80% of the way through writing it, so here's as much of it as I can remember.  I had mixed feelings about this episode

Opening: I was glad they made the opening short to give more time to the actual segments.  And it was a nice way to recognize the show's history rather than steal plots outright *cough* Marge opens a food franchise.

Hell School:  This was a good idea without a plot.  Bart goes to Hell.  Bart likes it in Hell.  Bart continues to like it in Hell.  The End. Some of the visual gags were great, but not enough plot.

Clockwork Yellow.  I haven't seen the movie or read the book, so I can't comment too much.  It seems like there wasn't a fully developed plot here either, but I can't fully comment.

Tracy Ullman Ghosts:  Another really nice idea, but the plot was lacking.  The family meets ghosts of their old selves.  And then Modern Homer cheats with Old Marge.  Then everyone dies.  The End.  If there wasn't going to be much of a plot, the show could have focused more on how the characters have evolved over the past 25 years.  Marge going from romantic to bitter just didn't seem to be the character evolution I would have noticed, let alone focused on.

Overall, there were some good ideas, and good isolated gags.  But not so much in the way of plot.  Old Halloween episodes would have 3 stories with full plots that get resolved by the end.  This episode reminded me more of Family Guy - all gag, no plot.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 2

Ya know, it's been twelve hours since I watched this ep and I'm still cackling over "the power of Chrysler compels you!"

As much as I appreciated seeing the Tracey Ullman version of the family my fave segment last night was Bart in Hell School, loved how well he succeeded (all A's on his report card!), loved seeing the design of the school and the characters, heck I even didn't mind his teacher's creepy "down here we can make that happen" re: Bart having a crush on her. It was an ok ep, which is high praise coming from me since I've been fairly men these past few seasons. Also liked seeing those quick scenes at the beginning of past TOH eps and of course seeing all the versions of the Simpsons at the end.

I would have LOVED a reference to John Wayne being in hell, one of my fave WTF Simpsons moments ever was during another TOH when the Devil tries to keep everyone quiet or they'll wake John Wayne...only to have John Wayne shuffle out with a coffee cup grumbling "I'm already awake." Don't know why but it tickles me to imagine John Wayne in hell.

I liked Hell School, the other two were sub-par, though Comic Book Guy in the Kubrick one was good ("Even I don't know what I'm referencing!"). Loved the brief glimpse of Adventure Time Simpsons at the end.

• Love 1

Another one of the Simpsons versions at the end was in the Triplets of Belleville style.

I wasn't too thrilled with this one. I loved "The power of Chrysler compels you," and that the ghost of Old Homer kills Current Homer with a toaster, but not by dropping it in the bath.

I liked when Lisa and Bart teleported back to Earth, and Mr Burns perfunctorily says, "Welcome to Earth, local time is 10:37, we know you have your choice of portals, so thank you for choosing the Burns Hellport, a division of Gulf & Western."

Is it wrong that I didn't blame Homer for being attracted to Old Marge?  She really was more likable.  And If Marge would rather stay with Homer and yet continue to a bitter ninny, then that's her fault not his.

But yeah, the family killing themselves/getting killed by Willie was dark. 

I'm cool with Dark. As peeayebee mentioned, hanging the toaster over the bathtub and then killing him but not dropping it in the tub was funny.  I also kind of liked that Homer mentioned that he was attracted to younger Marge, much to the annoyance of current Marge. Heh.

I really liked the first segment.  That would have been at home in pretty much any Treehouse of Horror ever, and I think that is pretty high praise. ("We can make that happen down here." Eww, and also Hee!)

Edited by JTMacc99

though Comic Book Guy in the Kubrick one was good ("Even I don't know what I'm referencing!").

Just to be that guy, the reference was Barry Lyndon. And I refuse to believe that Comic Book Guy wouldn't know that. I've never seen Barry Lyndon, and even I knew that. After all, Kubrick did not make that many films. Not to mention the way Comic Book guy was dressed should have been the tipoff.

Of the three, the first was the most enjoyable. The second had the pop culture references, but they used to be able to make such references far less ham handedly. The third was dull, and only notable for seeing the Tracy Ullman era Simpsons once again.

Overall, this one can be tossed on the pile of ultimately forgettable Treehouse of Horrors shows of recent vintage.