Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

The first episode I ever saw was the one with Blinky the three-eyed fish.  It's still one of my favorites, and I enjoy when the fish has cameos in other episodes.

What was the episode in which Comic Book Guy steps out of his store, sees something disastrous (mushroom cloud?), and says "Oh, I've wasted my life"?

So, after having this on in the background for a week plus, mainly I really really hate that Doritos commercial. And the TWC commercials. And the Outlander/Starz commercial (which is also a TCW commerical). And the Snow White commercial. And PIzza Hut and Lime-A-Way. And Expedia and Travel Advisor and CarFax. And The League, whatever that is. And mostly I hate #X. HOW ABOUT JUST NOT ANSWERING YOUR PHONE WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING? And that asshole walking down Melrose with Ali G. And Ali G.

• Love 2

And that asshole walking down Melrose with Ali G. And Ali G.

I don't even know who that is (I don't usually watch FXX), but after seeing commercials for it countless times during the marathon, I have no desire to ever see it again.  Nor commercials for 'The League'. 

I've enjoyed what I've seen of the marathon, since I was never a regular Simpsons watcher, but would catch it now and then.  I'll probably do like others have said and change the channel to FXX and catch episodes when I don't have anything in particular to watch.  (I missed about four days of the marathon because for some reason my 'main' TV wouldn't pick up the channel after the first day.  I kept getting a message that told me that the channel would be available soon, but then nothing.  I found out after a couple of days that I could get the channel okay on the other TV in the other room, but I had missed lots by that time.  Then, the channel mysteriously appeared on the main TV again.  Weird!  I had missed a lot, but I guess it was more important that I actually go to work instead!)

• Love 1

Bart: There is no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.

Milhouse: When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?

Marge: I don't want to leave Springfield. I've dug myself into a happy little rut here and I'm not about to hoist myself out of it.

Homer: Just bring the rut with ya.

Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out if you want to kill somebody it would help me a lot. (I love Hank Scorpio.)

Marge hugs Bart.

Bart: Mom! You can hug me when I'm asleep.

Marge: I do.

Bart: Ahhhh!

Homer: What's your problem, Veggie? You don't even eat lobster?

Lisa: No but I enjoy the smell. 

• Love 1

Sunday at 4, they are showing Sideshow Bob episodes!

Looks like the plan going forward is to have themed mini-marathons as part of the regular programing. I approve of this idea.

From what I can figure from the other regular scheduled programming, it looks like they are going to break up the blocks during the weeknights by running episodes chronologically, but from two different time periods. In other words, the episodes running from 8-10 PM are from the 2009-2010 season, but in the 10-12 PM slot the episodes are from way back in 1990.  As I noted earlier, I would have preferred to have them just dump them all into a big bucket and pull them out randomly, but I guess their chosen method will be okay. Especially since the Sunday mini-marathons will pick from all time periods. 

I mean, seriously, time never passes on the Simpsons. If there were ever a show that doesn't need to be shown chronologically, this is it. 

"Hollywood may be run by big corporations trying to squash people, but they make movies about people standing up to big corporations trying to squash them... and winning."

I liked the internet piracy episode. The satire was particularly sharp.

Carl: "All we want is brand new, big-budget entertainment in our homes for nothing. Why doesn't Hollywood get that?"

And it also had some good Simpson character stuff in it as well like “It’s not even the worst kind of pirate Dad’s ever been.”

• Love 2

In the same vain I like the way they handle religion on the show.  Most shows avoid the topic like the plague.  But here it isn't reduced to a fundamentalists vs atheists thing but shows the there are tons more points of view then just those two.  I liked Lisa becoming a Buddhist.  I like that Ned tries to live up to his faith.  And as for the funny, I liked Organ Lady's rendition of In-A-Gada-Da-Vida (thanks, Bart).  And shout-out for reminder of the Catholic/Protestant heavens above.

For a show that was attacked by the religous right when it first came out WAY back when, this show had done an amazing amount of shows about religion that are very fair and thought provoking.  In fact The Simpsons spend more time in church than I think any family on TV. 

In fact this is the strength of the show in general.  Not just on religion, but on all topics, they see equal oppurtunity for humor in all points of view. 

• Love 5

"Rosebud" is my favorite episode.  I haven't seen it in ages and was surprised that of the older episodes this was the one I always remembered...outside of Treehouse of Horror episodes.  I was overjoyed seeing it during the marathon.

Favorite moments...Smithers thinking of Mr. Burns popping out of a birthday cake.  And Bobo's travels.  

Oooooooh! A head bag! They're chock full of... heady goodness.

Homer: Is he still out there?

Marge: Yes, and he's raking leaves.

Homer: What! That's your job. If he starts doing Lisa's wood chopping...

Lisa(after eating Apu's spicy cooking): I can see through time.

Homer: He lied to us through song.

Homer: I've learned that life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

The Sweetest Apu was on today and I think it's a solid episode.

I love the civil war reenactment:

"The battle was fought by the North, the South, and the East, keeping Springfield in, out of, and next to the union respectively."

"Hit with stick, hit with stick."

Marge guessing that Apu was having an affair and Homer's reaction:

"Apu is having an affair!"

"I know! Can you believe it, Manjula's just gonna die."

Mom and Pop Art:

"Le grill, what the hell is that?" 

I use Homer's exasperated "Why doesn't mine look like that?" a lot while I build toys for my nephew.

Homer's run and scream with the umbrella at the grill mess.

Mobile Homer:

Homer and the spiders. 

They Saved Lisa's Brain:

The group go to talk to Quimby after they've been kicked out of their gazebo (how many gazebos do you she-males need?) about enacting some change on the city. The feds bust in, Quimby freaks out and rides off on a horse onto a waiting plane and the horse parachutes out. 

Skinner: That was unexpected. 

• Love 1

Daybreak, Jakarta. The proud men and women of the Navy are fighting for freedom. But you're in Lubbock Texas, hosing stains off a monument. You're in the Naval Reserve: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard and the League of Women Voters. After basic training, you only have to work one weekend a month and most of that time you're drunk of your ass.

• Love 3

Homer: The evening began at the gentleman's club where we were discussing Wittgenstein over a game of backgammon.

Scully: Mr. Simpson it's a felony to lie to the FBI.

Homer: We were sitting in Barney's car eating packets of mustard. Ya happy?

Homer: I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and landed on the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Critic: The only bad review you gave was to a slice of pizza you found under the couch.

Homer: It lost some points because it had a HotWheel on it.  

• Love 1

I thought I read here that they episodes will go back to regular syndication format.  Which make sense. They need to start earning back that billion dollars.

I didn't notice that Marcia Wallace's voice changed, but I believe it. The character of Mrs. Krabapple seemed to be less sharp and more at peace in the later years, which also may be part of it.

• Love 1

"Natural Born Kissers" is a great episode, if only for the fact that it's just Homer and Marge realistically trying to spice up their marriage without getting into yet another fight.  And nothing will ever be funnier than Homer's naked butt streaking against the crystal wall of that church...

Well, except for maybe the gag in "Homer the Father" where Rod and Todd accidentally see Homer and Marge having through the window.  That had me laughing harder than I'd laughed for that show in a looooooooooooooooong time.

Grandpa: The government don't control the sky. What if you lived in a balloon? 

Lisa: That's it!

Bart: You hear that mom, she's as dumb as me!

Lenny: hey, did you hear something.

Carl: No.

Lenny: Hmm. Did I?

Carl: I don't know.

Homer: The winner will be showered with praise. The loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore.

Marge: And then they gave me back my 500 dollar investment and kicked me out of the club.

Homer: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Back up a bit now. When are the pancakes coming in the mail?

Bart: thousands and thousands of people saw your pretzels injuring Whitey Ford.

Homer:You could call them Whitey Whackers.

Marge: Listen to your mother, kids. Aim low. Aim so low no one will even care if you succeed. Dinner's in the oven if you want some butter it's under my face.

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 1

You guys this was really fun! Is anyone interested in me keeping track of the blocks and mentioning when cool stuff is coming up? Like the Sideshow Bob block on Sunday? I think I'll try to stay on top of cool blocks on FXX and when they are having neat stuff on the app and keep you all in the loop. 

Sound good?

• Love 3

Homer:   Beer is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Homer:   Why don't you play your guitar anymore Bart?

Bart:       I wasn't good at it right a way so I stopped playing it. Are you mad?

Homer:  No son, you've learned a valuable lesson. If something's hard to do, its not worth doing.

• Love 2

Hey guys! We had fun in the marathon topic and since FXX is going to be running some themed blocks I thought it might be fun to stay on top of that and let you guys know when they do cool ones. 

This Sunday 9/7 there will be an all Sideshow Bob block from 4pm - 7:30pm EDT with the following episodes:

4pm Black Widower - To Bart's horror, Selma announces that her husband-to-be is none other than Sideshow Bob.

4:30pm Cape Feare - Sideshow Bob terrorizes Bart after he is paroled from prison. (my personal fave!)

5pm Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - Sideshow Bob threatens to detonate a nuclear bomb unless television is abolished.

5:30pm Brother from Another Series - Bart fears the worst when Sideshow Bob wins release from prison by claiming he is a reformed man-and is hired by his brother to work on a construction project. (my second fave SSB ep!)

6pm Day of the Jackanapes - Sideshow Bob wins release from prison and hypnotizes Bart to kill Krusty the Clown.

6:30pm The Great Louse Detective - When someone attempts to murder Homer, Sideshow Bob is released from prison to help identify the culprit before he strikes again.

7pm The Italian Bob - The Simpsons travel to Italy to retrieve Mr. Burn's expensive new sports car.only to encounter Sideshow Bob and his murderous family.

7:30pm The Bob Next Door - Bart is convinced that his new neighbor is Sideshow Bob, even though the man looks nothing like his arch enemy.

• Love 3

From Cape Feare

Witness Protection Agent: Now when I say "hello Mr. Thompson" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.

Homer: No problem.

Witness Protection Agent: Hello Mr. Thompson.

Homer, to a second Witness Protection Agent: I think he's talking to you.

Parole Board Member: No one who speaks German can be an evil man.

• Love 3

Moe: Call this an unfair generalization if you must, but old people are no good at everything.

Moe : [to noose] Sorry, not today, old friend. But don't worry, holidays are just around the corner.

Moe Szyslak: My name is Moe Szyslak. When I was a kid I had round worm - Heck, I was more worm than boy for a couple of years - I dabbled in Satanism until I was asked to leave, oh, and one month I ate nothing but aquarium fish.

Lisa Simpson: Moe, you are a heartless jerk!
Moe Szyslak: Whoa, where did that come from? Oh, right. My actions.

Reporter: Are you a registered voter?
Moe: I'm a registered something.

Moe Szyslak: [after being decapitated, his head is kicked around by kids] Boy, soccer is even boring for the ball.

Moe hooked to a lie detecter

Eddie: Do you hold a grudge against Montgomery Burns?
Moe: No.
[buzz]
Moe: All right, maybe I did. But I didn't shoot him.
[ding]
Eddie: Checks out. Okay, sir. You're free to go.
Moe: Good, 'cause I got a hot date tonight.
[buzz]
Moe: A date.
[buzz]
Moe: Dinner with friends.
[buzz]
Moe: Dinner alone.
[buzz]
Moe: Watching TV alone.
[buzz]
Moe: All right! I'm going to sit at home and ogle the ladies in the Victoria's Secret catalog.
[buzz]
Moe: Sears catalog.
[ding]
Moe: Now would you unhook this already, please? I don't deserve this kind of shabby treatment.
[buzz]

Bart Simpson: This place hasn't changed a bit.
Moe Szyslak: Yeah, I've been meaning to change things, but this place keeps being a crime scene.

Homer: Hmm. I wonder why he's so eager to go to the garage?
Moe Szyslak: The "garage"? Hey fellas, the "garage"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.
Homer: Well what do you call it?
Moe Szyslak: A car hole!

Moe: I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

• Love 6

"What Animated Women Want" is an episode that annoys me mainly because Marge gets pissy at Homer when he essentially doesn't do anything wrong.  And when he tries to make amends, nothing is good enough for her until he lands himself in the hospital.  Geez.  Homer's likability has been up and down over the past couple of years, but IMHO Marge has become even less likable.

From 'A Milhouse Divided'

The whole Pictionary scene is gold.

Kirk Van Houten: I sleep in a racing car, do you?

Homer: See Marge, you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a first class reception. (reveals a cake shaped like a whale that reads " To a whale of a wife".)

After 'Can I Borrow a Feeling' Kirk Van Houten: How about it Luanne, will you marry me? Again?

Luanne: Ewww! No!

From 'The Springfield Files'

Homer: I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around the city keeping its SPEED over 50 and if it's SPEED dropped it would explode! I think it was called 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down'.

Grandpa chasing after a tortoise that has his teeth.

Scully: This is the worst assignment we've ever had.

Mulder: Worst than the flesh eating virus?

Grandpa: Ow, he bit me with my own teeth!

Scully: No this is much more irritating.

• Love 3

Homer: Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.  Remember when I took that home wine-making course and I forgot how to drive?
Marge: That's because you were drunk!
Homer (dreamily): And how...

• Love 2

No. Unless the ratings crash, this is not scheduled to be the last season. Somewhere in the back of my head I remember reading about a two year extension that covers this year and next year.

Edited by JTMacc99

I'm surprised that they aren't showing Sideshow Bob Roberts - I think that's a much better episode than Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming.  But Cape Feare is always awesome.

I'm guessing that I'll be watching The Simpsons enough that I'll catch when they announce what the next lock party will be. 

Edited by M. Darcy

Am I wrong or do I remember a Simpsons version of the red carpet with Joan & Melissa Rivers. I remember Melissa running off saying "I have no talent!". I used to think of that scene whenever I saw Melissa.

There was also the scene in "Viva Ned Flanders" where Homer and Ned are in their car and Joan Rivers comes up to them (although I don't think it was the real JR's voice) and tries to get them to be in the audience for her infomercial. As they drive off, she screams "Help me! My daughter's not talented!".

• Love 1