Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Was it just me, or did they miss out on The Shining among the Kubrick tributes?  I wasn't expecting to see Killer's Kiss or anything but I was surprised that wasn't there.

Lucky me, I finally watched EWS this summer after putting it off for ten+ years, so I got the jokes.

The use of "Hell is For Children" in the first segment made for one of the most twisted musical montages this show has ever done.

Enjoyed all the references to various Kubrick films in the second segment, but did I miss something, or did Dr. Strangelove get ignored?

I am sure this will be unpopular but I loved the Behind the Music themed episod that they did. I especially love Marge telling Homer to go poop in his hat. Another favorite of mine is A Fish Called Selma. I still remember all the words from the Planet Of The Apes musical.

I can do even better than that. I really like the New Kids on the Bleech episode (NSYNC). Not my favourite episode but it has a lot of really funny and memorable moments: the Lieutenant LT Smash thing, Superliminal advertising, Smellson. Plus the bit about the Mad Magazine writers staying up all night to come up with "Everybody Hates Raymond" and then saying it was all worth it is hilarious to me. Plus it has to be one of the first instances of Justin Timberlake doing comedy.

• Love 2

I like the NSYNC episode as well. I loved how everytime they entered the scene they would dance. I also loved this exchange with Homer and Lisa. Homer: Hehe... here comes the jealousy bug! Gonna get ya!
Lisa: Hey
Homer: Gonna get ya!
Lisa: Cut it out! You're a grown man!
Homer: :gasp: I wanna go home now!

• Love 3

was there a Kang or Kodos appearance this year

I don't think we saw them. We heard them at the beginning introducing the show from their home planet. Which is interesting because in Tapped Out this year, the Halloween them is all about them.

but did I miss something, or did Dr. Strangelove get ignored?

When Homer entered the record store and met Marge, there were several albums, one of which was Dr. Strangelaugh. There was also, Paths of Gravy, Full Millhouse Jacket, and D'Ohlita. 

Edited by xander874
  • Love 1

We'll be seeing more of Kang and Kodos this year.  According to Wikipedia, episode 11 (in January) is basically "The Simpsons are going to Rigel 7!"  No idea how that will fit into canon...

I'm also excited for the Futurama crossover in 3 weeks.  Hopefully that episode will let both shows keep their voices, unlike the Family Guy crossover.

Actor from Goodfellas suing The Simpsons and Fox because he says that Louie from Fat Tony's crew ripped off his likeness. And the kicker is he is suing for 250 million dollars. 

http://deadline.com/2014/10/simpsons-lawsuit-goodfellas-character-rip-off-fox-857282/

Not exactly sure how this would work since Louie has been around since Bart the Murderer in 1991. Plus unless you have actual yellow skin how can you say that the show stole your likeness?

I'm sorry but sometimes out of the group you get a few people who are stuck in 1996 and won't get over how "good" The Simpsons used to be. I say The Simpsons will never be what they were Season 1-9. They just won't be and I'll tell you why I'm glad. It was different times then and The Simpsons finally evolved into the 21st century. Yeah they were in a rut in the early 2000's but it's time to move on! Quit frankly some of my favorite Simpsons episodes are more recent ones. Who else agrees? 

Edited by Cartoon Man
  • Love 1

The longer and longer this thing runs, the more you're gonna hear it. Heck, 10 years from now it'll be, "The show now doesn't even compare to the stuff from the early 20-teens."

(Another example of a show that always gets this is Saturday Night Live).

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 3

We were all in a rut in the early 2000's. Personally, '03-'04 was middle school for me. The deepest rut that's ever rutted.

("I've dug myself into a happy, little rut here and I'm not about to hoist myself out of it." "Just bring the rut with ya, honey."

We'll be seeing more of Kang and Kodos this year.  According to Wikipedia, episode 11 (in January) is basically "The Simpsons are going to Rigel 7!"  No idea how that will fit into canon...

Wow, that episode is finally gonna air? I think it was supposed to be the season 24 finale but then got shelved for whatever reason.

I feel the need to point out that while the panda rape scene was intended to be funny, it was also treated as a low point for Homer. And afterwards he decided (with Lisa's help) to quit humiliating himself and donate the money he made to the less fortunate.

Staying on the subject of "Homer vs. Dignity", if you look up one of the other endings they considered, you'll see the episode could have been much worse.

Oh lord, I'm afraid to ask...

Two words: Simpsons Minons!

I thought the last sketch was cute and funny and love those throwback voices. Homer was awesome. How the family has changed!

Really enjoyed the Halloween episode and I haven't really in a long time.

I agree. The recent episodes are solid comedy. Sure they aren't as good as say season 4 but I don't think that is a fair comparison since I think those early seasons are some of the best TV comedy of all time. There isn't a comedy on TV right now that is that good, so why should current Simpsons be held up to a standard that no other show on TV can match.

• Love 4

Marge: Kids, tell me when your father stops scratching himself....kids?

Bart: We'll tell ya, mom.

Homer: By the time Bart's 18 we're gonna control the world. We're China, right?

Marge: Lisa, I know a song that might cheer you up. There once was an ugly duckling...

Lisa: So you think I'm ugly?

Marge: No, no, no. I meant you were one of the good looking ducks....that makes fun of the ugly ones.

Homer: There once was rapping tomato. That's right I said rapping tomato. He rapped all day from April to May and also guess what it was me.

After watching some season 6 episodes today, I've realized "Lisa's Rival" is one of my favorites. So many great moments: Homer and the sugar, Ralph's non-sequiturs about his cat, the bees defending themselves somehow, Milhouse the fugitive, Bart breaking the bad news about Lisa's diorama ("The important thing is we survived."), Homer thinking he can take a four-day weekend, etc.

• Love 2

They re-aired Homerpalooza yesterday and it reminded me of this awesome line, with young(ish) Grandpa talking to young Homer in a flashback:

"I used to be with it. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

• Love 6

They re-aired Homerpalooza yesterday and it reminded me of this awesome line, with young(ish) Grandpa talking to young Homer in a flashback:

"I used to be with it. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

I think of that line daily... in reference to myself.

• Love 6

I had a lot stuff I should have done yesterday but for most of the day, I was just watching the marathon.  Some may say it was a beautiful day outside and I should have gone out but I still say it was lousy Smarch weather so I'm glad I stayed inside.

• Love 1

I gave up on the show in 2003, Recent marathons have made me realize the past 5-6 seasons have actually been quite good, not seasons 1-5 good but still good and clearly better than Family Guy.

• Love 1

what's the episode where Homer calls a recorded phoneline to get tips from a tv sports host and the person on the other end says words like Cincinnati very slowly so Homer has to stay on the line longer and it costs more?

Lisa the Greek

• Love 1

I can't think of any episodes off the top of my head that I'd put in the worst category because I watched this show obsessively as a kid - i.e., from the beginning until circa 2000 - and then got busy with life, and missed the decline. I'm just here to add that I vividly remember when Maude Flanders died because I went into my parents' room and told my mom about it, in total shock because it was the first time a main-ish character had been killed off on one of my shows, let alone an animated show. Being a pre-teen, I thought the way they killed her off was pretty funny but my mom was not impressed. She said it was tasteless and morbid. 

I do not want to see this panda rape episode people are talking about, though I will admit getting quite a kick out of the La Grunta episode of King of the Hill. Maybe because they used it as a learning experience for Hank, so he could help Luanne stand up to lecherous customers./offtopic

If I had to choose a worst episode of the ones I remember off the top of my head, I'd choose Bart vs Australia. I just remember waiting for something to either touch me or make me laugh, and the only thing that came close for me was Bart's frog ruining the ecosystem.

I did really like the bit with the koala hitching a ride on their helicopter and the horror movie style ultra-close-up zoom to its eye. (Though honestly, if koalas could actually survive in the wild in North America I'd welcome their introduction with open arms.)

Mr. Burns falls in love with a state assemblywoman trying to stop his fracking operation

The show finally takes on fracking. Will this endeavor end up with him nearly dead like that time he used his slant-drilling operation to steal the elementary school's oil? Probably not.

"You can't invite a couple of Riddlers to stay in the Batcave!" Hey, a short plot with Patty & Selma. It was nice to see them do something what they do best: smoke.

Loved Homer's "Food Hider" magazine, as well as his ability to create a giant donut out of donuts.

"Marge Simpson I'm as mad at you as you usually are at me." Jeez, Marge was right the whole time and Homer was still a gullible idiot. An actual environmental message was derailed by a pretty unfunny romance plot. But hey, at least for once Burns dated someone near his own age. And Jane Fonda of all people. Their little bit at the end was kinda sad, but it seems about as happy as an ending Burns could get.

"Well, I ain't no Carl when it comes to this stuff, but I ain't no Lenny either."

I really liked the montage of Homer pandering to various people about fracking. The capper was Homer at home talking to Marge, Lisa, Bart, Maggie, and the pets, pointing to each in turn as he says, "Laundry, homework, pranks, poop, poop, and poop."

I had no idea the guest voice was Jane Fonda til the ending credits. I lol'd when Homer tented Mr. Burns' hands for him and gently said "excellent." We all know his relationship with the assemblywoman won't last but I liked them together, total opposites ending up together.

I always love Homer vs Patty and Selma and this episode's version of it was no exception, I always want him to throw them out the front door like he did back in the day when they were blackmailing him with his IOU. Also loved all of Lisa's recently viewed list on Netflix and that she was not annoyingly preachy (imho) about the fracking.

Also loved all of Lisa's recently viewed list on Netflix and that she was not annoyingly preachy (imho) about the fracking.

I liked that list as well. And when I rewound it to watch them all, I also caught that the play time of the depressing fracking video was something like 3 hours and 21 minutes. ::shudder::

I also enjoyed some of the political stuff like the plans for Burns Mansion.  Condor sanctuary.  Heh.

"Why are all cars black or gray now? It's like if you see a red one, it's a big deal."

OK, as someone who just bought a new car and said this same complaint to the salesman, may I just say: preach it, Monty!