Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

I'd have to wade through to hammer down my top 10, but since my brother's decision to be a vegetarian mirrored Lisa's, "Lisa the Vegetarian" will always have a special place in my heart.  And in an episode full of lines that crack me up, for some reason, Barney's "Go back to Russia!" when Lisa brings out Gazpacho is what makes me laugh the hardest.

Actually, season 7 in general has some of my favorite episodes - King Sized Homer is in that season too I think.

• Love 3

It's not in the best episode, but Homer's "Look, I thought the cop was a prostitute" with his emphatic head nod always cracks me up.  It's as if there should be no more discussion after that.  

And when I say something incorrectly, I do try and say "Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"

Bart: Is there a doggie hell?

Prior to that, when Homer was explaining Doggie Heaven, he said something I've used as recently as last week when discussing my dog being happy:

"And you can't turn around without sniffing another dog's butt!"

My kids enjoy that line as much as I do.

• Love 1

IMO any of the episodes in the last 5-10 years would fit well in this category. 

I don't know I watch fairly regularly still and while the current crop of episodes aren't stellar, they are usually as funny as anything else on TV that week. Worst episode all time for me though would have to be Lastest Gun in the West, the one with the cowboy actor. And now just looking at it, I can't believe that episode is 12 years old.

• Love 3
Actually, season 7 in general has some of my favorite episodes -

Table for two, please :) If I could keep just one season, it would be S7, though S5 is a very close second. I think I'd give the bronze medal to S8. Or maybe S6.  Or---well, it's kind of a five-way tie! I actually don't love S4 quite as much as most do, though it's still wonderful. And I'm always pleasantly surprised by how many episodes I love from later seasons. The highs aren't quite as high and there are certainly lower lows, but for me the later seasons are still well worth rewatching...particularly if I keep my fast forward button within pressing distance when the need arises :)  

• Love 2

A Star Is Born Again was on last night and had these gems:

Marge: Today's book is "Bridget Jones's Diary." Now, let's go around the room and analyze why we didn't read it.

Mrs. Krabappel: Cramps.

Agnes Skinner: All my friends are dead

Homer: Now who might you be? A tabloid...is that one of those really strong mints?

Cleetus: Your carpeted floor feels good on my toes.

Even though it's rarely shown anymore (for good reason), I will always adore "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson". "Homer at the Bat" and "Bart Star" are other favorites.

• Love 3

Here's a challenging one for you guys: What are some of your favorite post-S9 episodes? I guess this is where I confess that I own and absolutely love S16...well, most of it :)   

Hmm.  Fifteen favorites?

Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily
A Streetcar Named Marge
Lisa the Iconoclast
Kamp Krusty
Bart of Darkness
Homer at the Bat
A Fish Called Selma
Brother From Another Series
Treehouse of Horror (the first one)
Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
Burns' Heir

The Crepes of Wrath
The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Realty Bites
The Secret War of Lisa Simpson

Not in perfect order, but the first several in the list are definitely my all-time favorites.

Cape Feare (Your name is Homer Thompson)
Marge vs. Monorail (Simpson, Homer Simpson, He's the greatest guy in history. From the, town of Springfield, He's about to hit a chestnut tree. AAAAGH!)

I want these on my list also, but I ran out of slots, so I'm stealing them via quote. :)

As a rule, I love most of the first 10 seasons, and would have to agree that seasons five through about seven or eight would be the best string of seasons.  I'm also partial to most of the first dozen Treehouses, all of the Sideshow Bob episodes, and most of the musical episodes.  

What are some of your favorite post-S9 episodes?

Offhand, I'll say The Great Louse Detective and Hardly Kirk-ing.  But even the best of the later seasons wouldn't rank anywhere as high as most of the earlier seasons.

• Love 1

Caught the rerun a few days ago.  I think this episode pretty much sums up all my reason for my animosity towards Marge.  Lisa is EIGHT YEARS OLD.  EIGHT.  Just because she's seen hanging out with a boy doesn't mean she's going to be married to him.  Why Marge uses her resentment about her own marriage to obsess about her daughter's love life is infuriates me.

I thought Homer's indignation was pretty justified

I agree.  Remember how upset Marge was in the episode where Lisa said that although she loved her, she didn't want to turn out like her?  And now she tells Homer that he's fine, just not good enough for their daughter.  What a hypocrite.

They aren't the best episodes ever, but I do have a fondness for a few in Season 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, Eight Misbehavin (if only for "Oh hallelujah, our problems are solved. We have banana bread.), The Mansion Family (which isn't that great of an episode, but Homer saying "Why Marge, I believe you are to scratch your ass with it" became a running joke between me and my brother), and Last Tap Dance in Springfield.

• Love 3
(edited)

Season 13's Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge. Combine a Sopranos parody with a High Noon parody, throw in a great meta moment when Homer lists all the jobs he's had (to that point) and voilà: A semi-classic.

Season 18's 24 Minutes. Simply one of the best parodies the show has ever done. All you need to know is contained in the intel on Lisa Simpson: Loves Ponies, Hates Phonies.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 3

The one where Homer is Mr. Burns "Prank Monkey" is my least favorite by far.  It's all just...mean spirited, and not in a funny way.

Not into panda rape, eh?

I would nominate Rome-old and Juli-eh, but it was partially redeemed by the cardboard fort battle.

(edited)

My favorites tend to have relatively little in common, but I've noticed that I tend to be irrationally obsessed with Ned Flanders-centric episodes and how he and Homer care for each other deep down despite...well, everything. And, as noted, I also love all things Sideshow Bob :) Equally hard to explain is that I tend not to love most of the Marge-centric episodes. While I generally like Marge and appreciate her role in the family and all that, somehow the episodes in which she takes center stage tend not to do it for me. I also tend to be oddly meh on the Krusty-centric episodes. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Mansion Family (which isn't that great of an episode, but Homer saying "Why Marge, I believe you are to scratch your ass with it" became a running joke between me and my brother), and Last Tap Dance in Springfield.

Ha! I also like Homer's "LOOK HOW LOUD I HAVE TO YELL!"

Some of my post season 9 favorites are:

Boy Meets Curl- "Ice skating! A sport that encourages hand holding."

Gone Maggie Gone- "Why would you leave such a beautiful baby on my doorstep?" "Because she was fighting my dog and stealing my poison."

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?- "Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins." And Homer's song about how much he loves food that ends with "I could even eat a baby deer, la la la la la la la la, who's that baby deer on the lawn out there..."  

The Great Wife Hope- "Where's your brother?" "I don't know. Chasing ducks, buries alive. He'll be missed. Let's go, I gotta go collect pine cones."

Dial 'N' For Nerder- "Oh my god- we're murders." "Hey- I was trying to help him. At worst I'm an accomplice." and "Learned that beneath my goody-two shoes lie some very dark socks."

We're On The Road To D'Oh Where- But only the very end where Lisa gets the calls from Marge and Homer both needing bail money and she tells Maggie she always knew it would boil down to just the two of them and she'd look for a job in the morning.

HOMR- Because I love the ones with heart most of all and watching Homer and Lisa bond- even for a short time was really sweet. Also "I was working on a flat tax proposal and accidentally proved there's no God." "We'll just see about that....maybe you made a mistake....nope. It's air tight."

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 1
Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?- "Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins." And Homer's song about how much he loves food that ends with "I could even eat a baby deer, la la la la la la la la, who's that baby deer on the lawn out there..."

How could I forget about that one?  I love it when Lisa and Homer team up.  

Lisa :Dad!  It's low fat!

Homer: NOOOOOOOOO

• Love 1

"Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins."

Second best quote: "Nobody talks to me that way! I'm Homer Simpson, the most powerful food critic in town, who will never get his comeuppance! You hear me, No comeuppance!"

• Love 1

I just finished rewatching S16 and am embarrassed by how much I loved it. I'm not quite far gone enough to argue that it's on par with S4-S9, but it has some episodes that I absolutely adore beyond what is reasonable and even a bunch of rewatch-worthy moments in the subpar ones. Midnight Rx, There's Something About Marrying, Goo Goo Gai Pan, Don't Fear the Roofer, The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star, and especially Home Away From Homer (have I mentioned my obsession with Flanders-centric episodes?!) are my favorites. They may not measure up to the halcyon earlier seasons, but I'd still rather rewatch them than the vast majority of non-Simpsons TV :) 

Now I'm up to S17. I'm somewhere between excited and fearful! 

Homer: In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

Marge: [to Lurleen] If you ever come near Homer again, I'll strangle you with your own hair extensions. That's right, I know.

Homer: You tried and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try.

The title of this thread immediately made me think "Don't ya hate pants?!

• Love 2

Season 13's Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge. Combine a Sopranos parody with a High Noon parody, throw in a great meta moment when Homer lists all the jobs he's had (to that point) and voilà: A semi-classic.

That is a really strong episode. I need to watch it again, I can't believe it is 12 years old. There was also some really strong episodes in season 19 including Homer of Seville, Midnight Toyboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind, E Plurbus Wiggum, The Debarted (the rat symbolizes obviousness),  and Dial N for Nerder.

A lot of the Halloween episodes, especially the older ones. One of my favorites, The Shinning :D.

Last year's episode left a lot to be desired, but some of the regular episodes were ok enough. Don't remember any of the names of them though :(.

• Love 1
(edited)

Some of my favorites:

Ralph: Are you still my friend, Bart?

Wiggum: Put out an APB on a Uosdwis R. Dewoh. Uh, better start with Greektown.

Friday: That's "Homer J. Simpson", Chief. You're reading it upside down.

Wiggum: Uh, cancel that APB. But, uh, bring back some of them, uh, gyros.

Friday: Uh, Chief? You're talking into your wallet.

Homer: Lisa, would you like a donut?

Lisa: No, thanks. Do you have any fruit?

Homer: This has purple in it. Purple is a fruit. (since when has it been one?? )

Homer: "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Lennie: So then I said to the cop, "No, you're driving under the influence of... being a jerk."

Homer's Brain: Use reverse psychology.

Homer: Oh, that sounds too complicated.

Homer's Brain: Okay, I don't use reverse psychology.

Homer: Okay I will! (nice )

Scully: Homer, we're going to ask you a few simple yes or no questions. Do you understand?

Homer: Yes. (lie detector blows up)

Ralph: Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Homer (sung to the Flintstones song): Simpson! Homer Simpson! He's the greatest guy in history. From the, town of Springfield! He's about to hit a chestnut tree! (hits tree) D-oh!

Billy Corgan: "Billy Corgan, 'Smashing Pumpkins'."

Homer Simpson: "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Trent: [walking up] The man knows what he likes.

Homer: Just taking care of business.

Trent: If you don't, who will, huh? Trent Steele.

Homer: Homer Si... uh, Max Power.

Trent: Oh, hey! Great name!

Homer: Yeah, isn't it? I got it off of a hair dryer.

Trent: [laughs] I like a man who can poke fun at himself. [looks at his watch] Ooh, hey, my one o' clock cancelled. Eh, you had any lunch?

Homer: Yeah, but I usually have three or four.

Trent: So where to eat? You like Thai?

Homer: Tie good. You like shirt?

Homer: Well, what do you think, Marge? All I need is a title. I was thinking along the lines of... No Tv and no beer make Homer go something something.

Marge: Go crazy?

Homer: Don't mind if I do!

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
Homer (sung to the Flintstones song): Simpson! Homer Simpson! He's the greatest guy in history. From the, town of Springfield! He's about to hit a chestnut tree! (hits tree) D-oh!

I sing this in my head far more than is healthy. :)

• Love 1

I work in Washington DC so I've used this one quite a few times - "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

Oh, and since the anniversary of the Moon landing was a few days ago, every single time someone mentions Buzz Aldrin, I immediately think to myself - "Buzz. If that is your real name". 

• Love 5

Scully: Homer, we're going to ask you a few simple yes or no questions. Do you understand?

Homer: Yes. (lie detector blows up)

Oh man, I love the X-Files episode of The Simpsons. Especially this part:

[Homer is sweating and running on a treadmill.]

Mulder: Scully, what's the point of this test?

Scully: No point, I just thought he could stand to lose a little weight.

Mulder: His jiggling is almost hypnotic.

Scully: Yes. It's like a lava lamp.

• Love 3
(edited)

Stage Hand: Hello, bands! Who is playing with the London Symphony Orchestra? Come on people, somebody ordered the London Symphony Orchestra...possibly while high. Cypress Hill, I'm looking in your direction.

Cypress Hill: Yo, did we order the London Symphony Orchestra? Uh, yeah, we think we did. Do you know "Insane in the Brain"?

London Symphony Orchestra: We mostly know classical, but we could give it a shot.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2

Homer: If anyone asks we're plumbers then start plumbing until they go away.

Homer's Brain: Keep looking shocked and move slowly towards the cake.

Marge: I'm just happy you're excited about something besides saving the whales. Face it. They're doomed.

Homer: I-Hate-You-Walt-Freaking-Whitman! Leaves Of Grass my ass!

Lisa: I no longer fear hell because I've been to Kamp Krusty.

Lisa: I feel like I'm gonna die, Bart.

Bart: We're all gonna die, Lisa.

Lisa: I meant soon.

Bart: So did I.

I know!  I have a bunch of episodes that I know I will save for ever and ever - especially since only the first three seasons have shown up on iTunes (plus some other episodes).  Its crazy - most people think that season 4 is among the very best and its still not for sale. 

There is apparently a cool app coming with the move to FX. I think it was Al Jean who said, "I don’t want to over-promise, but I think this website will provide you with affordable healthcare!”

• Love 1

From the classic Marge vs. the Monorail episode:

Marge: Homer, I've found someone who can help.

Homer: Is it Batman?

Marge: No, he's a scientist.

Homer: Batman's a scientist.

Marge: It's not Batman!!

Well where to start! Honestly I've missed quite a few episodes of the past few seasons but for me the worst episode was the one in which they killed off Maude Flanders. So pointless and unnecessary and, as I later found out, so spiteful. And it wasn't even funny.

It made me so uncomfortable.

From the classic Marge vs. the Monorail episode:

Marge: Homer, I've found someone who can help.

Homer: Is it Batman?

Marge: No, he's a scientist.

Homer: Batman's a scientist.

Marge: It's not Batman!!

That reminds me of:

Marge: What do you want for dinner?

Homer: Steak?

Marge: We can't afford steak.

Homer: Steak?

Marge: All right, steak.

• Love 1

Mstaken

By the chili pepper episode, do you mean the one where they go to the Chili cook off and Johnny cash does the voice of the coyote?  I could watch that one just for Homer doing his little dance and say "We're missing the chili cook off!!!!"  after Marge was trying to hide it from him. 

• Love 3

My favorite episode not just of the Simpsons but of any sitcom period is A Fish Called Selma.  A whole episode of Troy McCLure and the late, great Phil Hartman.  A great parody of Hollywood has been B actors and their later lives.  One great line after another, scene after scene, inclduing "Gay!!!  I Wish!!"  and "Sure I love you, like I love Fresca, isnt that enough!"  And of course the great planet of the apes song.  What Simpsons fan can watch planet of the apes, or think of it, without thinking of that song?

• Love 5

My favorite episode not just of the Simpsons but of any sitcom period is A Fish Called Selma.

When I left the movie theatre after seeing the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes, I could hear someone in the crowd singing "I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpan-z".

Though, now that line of Selma's ""I'll always remember you, but not from your films." always gets to me. 

• Love 6

"Less artsy more fartsy!"

I know the one where they kill Maude is terrible but I have a soft spot for it. Not the story line of course but I watched The Simpsons with my parents every Sunday when I was growing up (I was 8 when that one originally aired) and I remember her dying and my mom going "I can't believe they did that." It was like this huge moment that I go back to every time I see it on repeat.

• Love 1

I used to think The Principle and the Pauper, where we find out Skinner is really Armin Tamzarian, was the worst episode of the first 10 years, even though it had its moments.  It seemed absurd to think this could all be revealed and everyone just ignored it

Then along came the show Mad Men.  They basically took the same concept of that episode and created one of the best TV dramas in history.  I have often wondered if their is any connection between the two.  I have never seen it mentioned anywhere in the media.  Despite the fact you can argue The Simpsons is the best (or second best behind Seinfeld) show of the 1990s and Mad Men is perhaps the best of the next decade, no on I have ever seen brings up the fact that Mad Men takes one of the least loved Simpsons episodes and makes a totally believable and viable story out of the idea.  ANd they also basically just ignore who the real Don Draper is.   

I realize that this story idea probably did not originate with the Simpsons, its probably an archetype of war stories that I just was not aware of and just saw for the first time as a variation on the Simpsons.  I still find it amusing about the connection between The Simpsons and Mad Men though

Homer: Marge, a bee almost stung me today I felt the wind go right by my ear...

Lenny: Man...I'm making record time. If only I had someplace to be.

Lisa: Okay, okay, not your fault. It's a bird thing. You don't control the birds. You will someday but not now.

Kodos: But tonight I say we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom.

• Love 2