Type keyword(s) to search

Ric Orlando Tells All

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Well, as much as he can, anyway. Ric is a friend of mine and he has answered some of the questions we had about the show.

Q: I'd like to know if it's really 20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.

A: The time is exact, 20 or 30 minutes depending upon the course. You have no clue as to whats in the basket and no time to think, It's live. Also, you have about 4-5 minutes before shooting to explore the pantry, but that's it. The best outtakes would be a show of chefs running around looking for shit they know they saw but can't remember where!

Q: How long do they sit in the little room?

A: It depends, About and hour or so, as they reposition cameras, do the judging shots, reposition again and then call you out to see who is chopped. One of my appearances (been on three times) ran behind and the decision for main course had to wait for the one hour lunch break.

Q: How long between when they stop cooking do the judges taste the food?

A: Well, they get it about 20-30 minutes after it seems but I can't be sure because the chefs get stuck back in the room...

Q: Do they ever stop the clock in case of an accident, restart, and edit that out?

A: NO STOPPING---it just goes on.

• Love 5

I think my default assumption behind reality TV is that there is always some kind of trickeration going on. So the fact that the show actually uses a true running clock gives me a greater appreciation of the contestants' skills.

• Love 5

Cooksdelight, thank you for posting this. I'm dating myself because I remember meeting Ric back in the early/mid 90s when he was overseeing the Regional Food Bank annual fundraising dinners. Also, I went to his place in Saugerties a bunch of times. Love the green beans. The green beans as an app with a Ketel One martini... mmm mmm. 

I was ( am) a fussy eater. And truly I credit Ric, for introducing me to all kinds of new foods for me back then at the dinners. He made it interesting, fun and a lot less scary for someone with deep seeded food issues.

I moved away from the Capital District a long time ago, but I always keep an eye on "My Guy" when he is on these shows and root for him as if we were Besties!

(He would have no clue who I am.)

• Love 1