Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: 212

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I can't figure out a reason why Scotty was out there anyway. It all seemed random as hell.

Scotty said he was on his way to The End to get his job back, but realized he was "inebriated" so decided to sleep it off in the row boat.  Sounds like drunken logic to me.  Alison was on her way to The End as well because that's where she and Noah were supposed to spend the night before they had their falling out - she was probably going there to try to get him to forgive her when she ran into Scotty.  I still think the timeline was very wonky - and the Noah/Alison POVs were really hard to follow and reconcile.  In other episodes, you can see where the two perspectives came from, but in this one there were way too many contradictions.

• Love 4

Another amazing coincidence! Just as Scotty gets pushed into the road, the car of the husband of the person who pushed him drives by and kills him. Too much of a reach for me. The odds of them driving by at that exact moment...and while Helen was looking at Noah no less...are just too big to be believed. It'd be fine if the entire main plot of the show didn't depend on this event...but it does.

And why would Noah ever marry Alison after all of this? She lied about the paternity of their child, she slept with her ex-husband and became business partners with him behind Noah's back, and that same ex-husband pulled a gun on Noah. ZERO chance of him marrying her. Again, this is kind of a big plot point, so it's tough to just ignore it as some sort of TV-ism.

• Love 2

Still, that was a nasty move by Helen.

So Alison knows Helen drove the car, but Helen doesn't know that Alison knows she was driving the car, correct?

I wonder if Helen resents Noah for marrying Alison, maybe she thinks that if she hadn't hit Scotty she and Noah would have gotten back together?  If Helen wants to get back with Noah, she's dumber than a pile of rocks because that dude would seriously cheat on her again and again and again.

I think that's right.  Alison knows Helen was driving but Helen doesn't know Alison was there

Since the last thing we saw [drunken] Helen say was "I love you" to Noah,  the idea that Noah would come back probably crossed her mind.  Honestly, before the accident I thought maybe they were both headed to The End together.   Maybe Helen did too?   But I would like to imagine that in the sober light of morning she would come to her senses and chalk it up to drunk wedding sex.  

OK, since I lost count how times Ruth was standing there with her mouth hanging open & drool coming out, particularly in this ep, (but she's always been doing this, right?), I was wondering -- does this shtick have some significance?  Is this mouthing-hanging-open bit supposed to say "oh-poor-me, I'm a victim, I'm a victim, I'm a helpless victim, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

Scotty can saaaaang. It was haunting to watch him sing that song. gave me goosebumps. I enjoyed the finale alot. Until the confession. So cheesy.

The best thing about Scotty's song was that he sang well enough so that one wasn't uncomfortable, but not so well that it seemed slick and professional. It was perfect...emotionally raw, ragged,and utterly riveting.

• Love 9

Man can the actor playing Scotty sing or what. He looks like Don Draper Lite.

I seem to recall he's come in for some criticism around these parts for his acting. But I think he's a great actor. Because I loathe(d) Scotty more than I've ever loathed anybody before.

• Love 8

I seem to recall he's come in for some criticism around these parts for his acting. But I think he's a great actor. Because I loathe(d) Scotty more than I've ever loathed anybody before. 

I don't understand the criticism either, I thought he was amazing! But to each his own, I guess.

• Love 5

The moment in the last ep when Scotty tried one last time to hand Cole his $37,000 was like a punch in the stomach for me. I thought he killed it.

I know! Forgive me, I've had a little too much Christmas cheer, so I can't remember his real name, but the actor who plays Scotty is exactly like many of the addicts that I've known.  I swear, I know this guy. 

The only real disappointment for me in season 2 is that I feel like they kind of destroyed Helen for no good reason.  Others would probably argue that she's always been awful, and maybe she has, but I've always liked her. I felt like her whole drunk driving hit and run thing came out of left field. Sure, she fucked up the other time, but Helen strikes me as a person who learns from their mistakes, I honestly don't think she would have done this.

• Love 10

She hit Scotty and wanted to frame Alison?  WTF?  Okay, I know she doesn't like Alison but to frame her for murder?

I'm not sure it would be framing Alison....more like providing reasonable doubt for Noah's defense.....that Alison had motive to perhaps want Scotty killed. Does Helen even know that Alison pushed Scotty or was involved?  It would seem that they have nothing on Alison anyway (unless she confessed) even if motive was revealed. Even if the truth came out she pushed him for a reason (if her point of view is even the truth).  Do we know that Alison just pushed him to get him away or did she push him in front of the car intentionally?  I have to see this again. She could definitely be guilty of obstruction of justice but anything else would be difficult to prove. 

As others have said....calling afterwards and saying they thought they hit a deer would have been the best decision (well, besides the truth of course). 

I do find it interesting that protecting Alison has made Noah rediscover his love for her.  He still wants to help the wounded bird. Definitely a twisted relationship.

• Love 1

I'm not sure it would be framing Alison....more like providing reasonable doubt for Noah's defense.....that Alison had motive to perhaps want Scotty killed. Does Helen even know that Alison pushed Scotty or was involved?  It would seem that they have nothing on Alison anyway (unless she confessed) even if motive was revealed. Even if the truth came out she pushed him for a reason (if her point of view is even the truth).  Do we know that Alison just pushed him to get him away or did she push him in front of the car intentionally?  I have to see this again. She could definitely be guilty of obstruction of justice but anything else would be difficult to prove. 

As others have said....calling afterwards and saying they thought they hit a deer would have been the best decision (well, besides the truth of course). 

I do find it interesting that protecting Alison has made Noah rediscover his love for her.  He still wants to help the wounded bird. Definitely a twisted relationship.

He's protecting Helen as much as Alison. In fact, I would argue Alison didn't need protecting, whereas Helen obviously did. And Helen was the wounded bird in the end. I actually liked the change in the Noah/Alison relationship at the end of the episode. Alison was the strong one - comforting Noah as he sobbed in her arms.
  • Love 1

I actually like this show, despite the timeline stuff, and partly because the characters are unlikeable, yet knowable people.  

I see you just joined (welcome!).  If you get a chance sometime, go back and scan through the threads from Season 1, and from the first half of this season.  You'll see I was this show's biggest defender.  It was a strong contender for my favorite currently televised drama on all of television (and that is a hugely tough competition right now, in the "Platinum Age" of TV).

But I feel it took a nosedive in the second half of this season and became really soapy, melodramatic, and implausible, so now I feel kind of betrayed and bitter.

• Love 2

The best thing about Scotty's song was that he sang well enough so that one wasn't uncomfortable, but not so well that it seemed slick and professional. It was perfect...emotionally raw, ragged,and utterly riveting.

I was really impressed by Colin with the performance of this song.  Before that, I was the one who said repeatedly I thought his performance -- especially this season, was annoyingly hammy & over-played.  But that's just my opinion. Hey, disagree with me & beat the heck outta me for having it, but I still think this.

Now, it's interesting to note Colin's experience.  He has won awards for musical theater.  And given his riveting performance of House of the Rising Sun, it's easy to see why.  We can thank Treem for using him & his talents here quite effectively.  As to why I've thought he was pretty hammy up to this point?  I was thinking it could just be him transitioning from theater acting to TV acting.  Theater acting tends to be more effusive & usually needs to be toned down for TV/film, or it looks too over-the-top or "unreal".  Well, that's my theory anyway.  But I didn't see how talented he is until this ep.

• Love 5

He's protecting Helen as much as Alison. In fact, I would argue Alison didn't need protecting, whereas Helen obviously did. And Helen was the wounded bird in the end. I actually liked the change in the Noah/Alison relationship at the end of the episode. Alison was the strong one - comforting Noah as he sobbed in her arms.

Yeah Noah is this time protecting Helen.  He is the one who begged her to drive because he couldn't and he feels guilty.  That and the "mother of his children" thing. But that isn't shown as a pattern in their relationship where it seems like protecting Alison is one of the attractions he has for her.  It will be interesting to see what leads to marriage after this incident and the betrayal of Alison allowing Noah to believe he was Joanie's father all this time. 

One thing, I didn't see Helen's "I Love You" as her hoping to get back together but more of a thanks for protecting her.  I think she will ultimately say she was driving if it comes down to Noah getting convicted.  What does Helen's boyfriend know/suspect?  Another interesting thing to find out next season.

• Love 2

Scotty knew Alison and Cole slept together because he came to see Cole to confront him and actually thought it was Luisa who was inside, when Alison came out instead. Sure it wasn't definite proof but he obviously just assumed they slept together. But I think the main reason Scotty put it together was because he saw Joanie and saw the resemblance.

The writers got around this with regards to Cole by saying Alison dumped Joanie onto Noah for the whole summer, thus suggesting Cole never met or saw her until that day in the court house. Contrived, sure but I'm pretty sure that's the reasoning for why Scotty knew but Cole didn't.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

One thing is really bothering me -- did Scotty have any definitive info that Joanie is Cole's?  I mean, seriously, why couldn't dumb dumb Cole figure this out, if drug addict boozehound loser Scotty easily could?

The most plausible reason is that Cole never saw Joanie until they met at the courthouse, and that's when it clicked for him.

• Love 1

Also, Joanie was supposed to be "5 weeks early", but since she didn't actually seem to suffer any consequences by being "premature"  it's possible that Cole only heard the news that Allison had her baby, did the math, and realized the timeline didn't fit for him to be s possible father.  I figured that's why the writers made the baby five weeks early, because 2-3 could have been enough for Cole to ask questions, but 5 weeks is long enough for there to be no doubt who the father is .  

• Love 4

OK, since I lost count how times Ruth was standing there with her mouth hanging open & drool coming out, particularly in this ep, (but she's always been doing this, right?), I was wondering -- does this shtick have some significance?  Is this mouthing-hanging-open bit supposed to say "oh-poor-me, I'm a victim, I'm a victim, I'm a helpless victim, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't think it's a character choice...I think Ruth's veneers are too thick and she can't comfortably close her mouth.

• Love 1

Won't the judge have to declare a mistrial? At least in the real world? If a defendant disrupts the courtroom?

My understanding of the real world is that the judge has discretion in this. If he believes the disruption won't materially affect the jury's ability to render an impartial verdict, he doesn't have to declare a mistrial. Of course that can be appealed, but an appeal wouldn't necessarily win unless the appellate judge feels the first judge erred in a serious enough way to have affected the outcome. (I.e. he could say, "I would have declared a mistrial if it were me, but I think the jury reached the same decision they would have reached either way, so I'm not going to overturn it.")

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

My understanding of the real world is that the judge has discretion in this. If he believes the disruption won't materially affect the jury's ability to render an impartial verdict, he doesn't have to declare a mistrial. Of course that can be appealed, but an appeal wouldn't necessarily win unless the appellate judge feels the first judge erred in a serious enough way to have affected the outcome. (I.e. he could say, "I would have declared a mistrial if it were me, but I think the jury reached the same decision they would have reached either way, so I'm not going to overturn it.")

I appreciate your comments, though I hope this show doesn't take the analysis further and delve deeper into the complicated world of courtroom proceedings. Almost everything involving the lawyer and the trial has been substandard television. I would love to see this show return to a more subtle story of couples and family dynamics where it can play to its strength (the acting).

This episode/season reminds me so much of a horrible plot in Season 2 of Friday Night Lights, which dragged the show down the drain. Fortunately, that show recovered to excellence in future seasons, so I am holding out hope that this writing team can get The Affair back into the good TV pile.

• Love 4

That's true--you have given me hope! I actually skipped season two of FNL because I had been warned about that in advance. But Alan Sepinwall always jokes about Landry as a you-know-what, so I know what the ridiculous plot turn was (you would never guess it from watching season three as they seem to just pretend it never happened). I hope this series turns around in a similar way, and I will keep my ear to the ground and listen for signs that it has in fact done so.

• Love 1

I was really impressed by Colin with the performance of this song.  Before that, I was the one who said repeatedly I thought his performance -- especially this season, was annoyingly hammy & over-played.  But that's just my opinion. Hey, disagree with me & beat the heck outta me for having it, but I still think this.

[snaggletooth voice]Put'em up! Put 'em up! ;)

I hear you on the hammyness, but like someone up there said-- a lot of addicts behave this way not just melodramatic, not just "soapy," but like the world is their personal goddamn Theatre Grand Guignol. (Hey, spellcheck says I got that in one!)

It's tiresome to watch on TV, but indescribably more tiresome to watch in real life. So, yeah Scotty is dramatic beyond belief, and yeah, that's part of what makes me think the actor got it right.

• Love 2

Wow, I wondered if it was Helen, but wasn't sure that he would cover for her. I've only just watched past the accident, so I need to keep watching. It was nice seeing them together at the beach. The casting director did a good job of casting the long-term couples, because I buy that they loved each other for years, and still do.

Well... I may not be smart enough for this show, because I can't reconcile  Noah's version of the so-called accident vs. Allison's. Not at all. In his version we see him speeding past the abandoned row boat (with no Scotty lying in it) and driving quite a way before Helen hits Scotty. Noah actually sees the boat on the side of the road as the car flies by and reacts, I guess because it was in his previous visions of hitting Allison. In Allison's version the "accident" happens right at the boat. If it happened at the boat, a short walk from the lobster joint, when did Noah and Helen have time to switch drivers? Or are the roads of Montauk chockablock with abandoned, weedy rowboats every ten feet? 

I had a lot of sympathy for Helen at first but it gradually eroded over this season. Now there's no one to like.

Alison's crying, heavy breathing, scrunched-up face and whispering, "I love you. I love you" at the end when they were dancing looked just like one of their many unfortunate sex scenes!

When I fronted my first band in the 60s, House of the Rising Sun was my signature song.  That song is full of pain and that actor nailed it. I don’t particularly like the actor that plays Scotty. But, I like him a lot better as Scotty then I do as the role he plays in Chicago med. That particular song paints a perfect picture of the Lockharts.

I don’t know why they just don’t tell the truth. Scotty was not killed intentionally by anybody. Allison pushed him because he was trying to physically attack her. And he was pushed in front of the oncoming car. So Helen did not run him down intentionally.  If they had called the police when all of this happened, they would not be where they are right now.

All of that being said, both Helen and Noah were drunk and neither one of them should’ve been driving.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, Kid said:

I don’t know why they just don’t tell the truth. Scotty was not killed intentionally by anybody. Allison pushed him because he was trying to physically attack her. And he was pushed in front of the oncoming car. So Helen did not run him down intentionally.  If they had called the police when all of this happened, they would not be where they are right now.

All of that being said, both Helen and Noah were drunk and neither one of them should’ve been driving.

I just got around to watching this show, and couldn't agree more about everyone involved in the accident just telling the truth. It's not like privileged Helen wouldn't have gotten some kind of deal, her money and Mommy & Daddy's influence would've made that possible.

I find it difficult to believe that Allison was the first time Noah cheated on Helen, given the way we've seen him behave. And I really don't get all the love for Helen; I'm not going to root for a parent who just stands by and lets grandma bribe an already anorexic-looking teenager into losing more weight, who just basically allows her parents to run her life.

• Love 1