Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Baby Shower & A New Home

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I'm glad it's not just me!  It took me four months of diverted hell to finally have a cry over my sister's death (I didn't cry when I got the news, and it was a SHOCK). However, I ascribe Mechelle's coolness under pressure to just being...cold. I don't see her as a loving person at any level; she even seems repulsed by Boob's kisses and manhandling. Then again, on that last point, who wouldn't be?

eta: triplets. Go back to my little story of no crying under pressure. :)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

I finally watched this dreary dull episode. The one thing that stood out was when Jessa & Bin are at the Southern Women's speaking event, during the "How well do you know your spouse" bit, after Bin got first answer wrong, Jessa's TH was about how well they knew eachother prior to marriage. Erm. Sweetheart, you practically married a stranger due to the rigid artificial supervised "courtship" crap. We never see them talk normally to eachother, so it's hard to imagine they even know how.

• Love 7

I guess they knew each other well enough.  There isn't much to know there, on either side.  Wouldn't be too difficult.  

Sew Sumi you gave them all Kardashian butts in the JibJab.  And they showed too much personality .  Need something dreadful and boring for the Duggars.  

I finally watched this dreary dull episode. The one thing that stood out was when Jessa & Bin are at the Southern Women's speaking event, during the "How well do you know your spouse" bit, after Bin got first answer wrong, Jessa's TH was about how well they knew eachother prior to marriage. Erm. Sweetheart, you practically married a stranger due to the rigid artificial supervised "courtship" crap. We never see them talk normally to eachother, so it's hard to imagine they even know how.

Her parents told her (and told her and told her and told her) that because she's a Duggar and they used Duggar methods, she and Ben knew each other better than any other young people on the verge of marriage ever ever ever know each other. They're just that speshul, thanks to JB and M!

And of course that feeds Jessa's ego, and she's in possession of no other facts to compare the interpretation to, and she's stupid. So she believes it and spouts it on television (even though they're not a television family) for leghumpers to believe in their turn.

Didn't watch, but I do kind of love it that the editing must have kind of called them out on this.

Okay, I am really disturbed after seeing this, but I'm going to put it here since it involves adult Duggars, etc. 

http://www.jibjab.com/view/AxxxWe5nQ2ODbQthnhnwnQ?after_login=1&utm_campaign=Sharer+PopUp&utm_content=santas_twerk_shop&utm_medium=Share&utm_source=Facebook

I think that was made by somebody who's still traumatized from the mini-golf episode.

• Love 12
The famewhore is strong in these two.

No one has commented on the greatness of this comment. I see this on a Tshirt, a 70's-type cartoon of Boob and Mechelle, with the Stinkbus behind them rising up to be taken back to its home planet...

I don't watch the show but read the threads daily, and watch the occasional clip posted here. Anna's contorted mouth is pretty bad, could it be she developed Bells Palsy from the extreme stress she's been under?

• Love 3

You'd have thought Ben won Time's man of the year with how proud he was winning the baby food contest.

That was probably the most exciting part of the shower. Maybe Ben could make money party planning. Beats scrubbing toilets.

That shower needed a keg in the worse way.  Don't know how that "party planner' got people to stick it out, other than the fame-whoring bribe of getting to be on TV.

• Love 8

I'm glad it's not just me! It took me four months of diverted hell to finally have a cry over my sister's death (I didn't cry when I got the news, and it was a SHOCK). However, I ascribe Mechelle's coolness under pressure to just being...cold. I don't see her as a loving person at any level; she even seems repulsed by Boob's kisses and manhandling. Then again, on that last point, who wouldn't be?

eta: triplets. Go back to my little story of no crying under pressure. :)

I get this. My mom died in July, after a sudden, brief, horrible illness and I still have not totally broken down. I feel like I am carrying around a boulder inside but it is kind of like I am afraid to start crying because I will never stop.

I am one who thought Michelle was being very calm both to communicate clearly, and because Jessa was in earshot; you could hear some interaction between them. If she did sound a bit detached, it might be that she went into that mode due to the shock of seeing her daughter in trouble.

I am no Michelle fan, but it sounded to me like she handled things very effectively.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3

Others speculate that JD lives in the home he bought in Rogers (as a foreclosure) at a further discount in return for clearing brush from city-owned properties. AFAIK, he still owns that property, which was on the same street as Muffy's former McMansion, but a far more humble abode. 

Kokapetl is the one to look to for the fine print.

Several months ago, there was an Instagram picture of JD holding Izzy in front of a rustic fireplace. There were letters (Duggar-like) over the fireplace saying something like MANCAVE.

• Love 2

I get this. My mom died in July, after a sudden, brief, horrible illness and I still have not totally broken down. I feel like I am carrying around a boulder inside but it is kind of like I am afraid to start crying because I will never stop.

I am one who thought Michelle was being very calm both to communicate clearly, and because Jessa was in earshot; you could hear some interaction between them. If she did sound a bit detached, it might be that she went into that mode due to the shock of seeing her daughter in trouble.

I am no Michelle fan, but it sounded to me like she handled things very effectively.

I liked the way Michelle seemed to have handled the call. We often joke here and call her Mechelle but in this case she didn't get hysterical and make it about her. I hate when people get crazy and complicate an emergency.

• Love 7

Also, this is just a personal pet peeve, mostly because I work in healthcare, but I feel like she is trying too hard to sound professional. It's hard to say if that's really the case, because I've only heard a very small clip. But it's something about the way she's ennunciating what she says... I guess I should be glad she was staying calm. I've never had to call 911, and even though I'm a nurse, if it were my loved one I'm not sure if I could stay calm, even though I am trained to.

Some people, in times of turmoil like that, can naturally stay calm even if they aren't otherwise like that.  When my Mom was alive, she was very, very sick and even though normally I'm really emotional, when emergencies arose, I always remained calm when no one else could.  Hopefully that is all it is for Michelle (and I don't want to hear her voice at all)

• Love 2

Okay, I am really disturbed after seeing this, but I'm going to put it here since it involves adult Duggars, etc. 

http://www.jibjab.com/view/AxxxWe5nQ2ODbQthnhnwnQ?after_login=1&utm_campaign=Sharer+PopUp&utm_content=santas_twerk_shop&utm_medium=Share&utm_source=Facebook

I had to close that down about 5 seconds in. It's very disturbing. (But I kind of think it would be disturbing no matter whose faces were used.)

• Love 1

Michelle and her "the mother is bleeding"... Who says that in reference to their own daughter!?

I would, actually. I'd be afraid that if I put it any other way they might misunderstand what had happened.

Michelle is still an annoying lunatic, however!

• Love 3

They moved Ben to the TTH after he'd finished up his semester at his B&M community college in Hot Springs. It was around Mother's Day 2014, so they had about 6 months of daily contact before they got married. Jessa talked about how they are still learning shit about each other. I guess those chaperones really do limit conversations that we heathens have during regular dates/interactions. 

TBH, there seems to be an element of fear built into the courtship/engagement process with these people. They seem to be afraid to say the wrong thing, lest they get dumped ala Zach Bates. Just because God puts someone in one's life for a relationship doesn't necessarily mean they are "the one." Jill and Derick are stuck in that covenant marriage bullshit, but unlike the Bates' matches, I have doubts that the other two will survive in the long run. Poor Anna has to believe in the fairy tale; what else is there for her in Gothardland? Jessa and Ben just project as narcissistic, famewhoring assholes. They will split not long after the cameras stop rolling, and they're forced to get real jobs. 

• Love 11

I posted yesterday, but I think my computer ate it when I tried to send it.  So, if this is near duplicate, I am sorry.

I finally watched the Anna monologue.  IMO, Anna wants to divorce Josh, but can't figure out how to do it without breaking her vows before God.  I don't see the conflict, because infidelity has always been considered a valid reason to divorce, even in religious circles. Because the cheater broke the vow by not 'clinging only to each other'.  However Gothard cult religion has their own rules.  There's also the fact that she knows she can't be a stay at home homeschooling Mom if she gets divorced, and that she really has no realistic chance of  making enough money to even pay child care for 4 kids for the next few years.  Even WITH any help her brother could actually afford to give her. She's going to have to go back to school and get a real college degree in something besides Christian education.   Thirdly, anyone wonder if Jim Bob and Michelle have threatened her with trying to get custody of the kids?  In a normal household, the offended spouse would move to her parents home instead of his parents' home. 

It's also possible that she is in the dorm room because she literally can't function these days.  She said herself all she does is cry, even when she is cried out.  Add postpartum blues to the marital woes, and she may be almost catatonic at times.  

I do not think she really understood the early Josh abuse story when her parents or Josh explained it to her before the wedding because she was so sheltered and they talk in riddles.  Being a wife and a mother by the time she read the police report would have made the facts clearer to her than any veiled explanation she got earlier.  In other words, the light came on in her brain.

If Josh really loves Anna, then he should man up and divorce HER. He doesn't want to live this life, and he should just let go.  Get some kind of a job - write a tell all book, and send the proceeds to Anna as alimony and child support. 

• Love 15

JBoob and Michelle are tickled to death Anna's there to pick up Jill and Jessa's slack!

That and I really think they are trying to keep her sheltered from outside infulences. They are desparately trying to keep the brand afloat and any break in rank would cause what's left of the house of cards to crumble. If Anna ever decided to say enough is enough, the illusion would be shattered and completely beyond repair. As long as she's still willing to forgive and stay put, they can fake the funk, so to speak.

And isn't she basically shunned? I can see why Anna would be scared to try and make it on her own. 

I think that's part of the reason why she's not going anywhere. These types of sects thrive on shaming and shunning. It's how folks are kept in line. The only reasources Anna has are accessed through others (her parents, her husband, her in-laws), so I can see why she might be fearful of going against the grain. 

Why do I picture Josh and Anna as a new version of Tim and Tammy Faye Baker once Josh gets out of rehab. I can picture him crying and saying he has been reformed and asking for the heathen masses and his fellow Christians to forgive him while Anna sits next to him crying and being sweet. JB is standing near by with dollar signs in his eyes, and Michelle's eyes throwing daggers at Anna because she probably will be pregnant within a year after Josh is cured of his evilness.

Yup. I can see them being trotted out during mid-campaign elections and making a few appearances on outlets like TBN. 

• Love 4

The Comcast description of tonight's episode of "Counting On" -

"New, S1/Ep03 (2015), (TV-14,D), Jessa and Ben have dinner with friends who have been through the adoption process. (Reality, 60 min.), (D=Intensely Suggestive Dialogue)." 

Whoa -- Intensely suggestive dialogue?!  WTF! 

• Love 4

The Comcast description of tonight's episode of "Counting On" -

"New, S1/Ep03 (2015), (TV-14,D), Jessa and Ben have dinner with friends who have been through the adoption process. (Reality, 60 min.), (D=Intensely Suggestive Dialogue)." 

Whoa -- Intensely suggestive dialogue?!  WTF!

I hope they put that disclaimer on the Boob dry humping MEchelle mini golf episode.

• Love 9

I saw the dry-humping episode, but what about Michelle's waterskiing knees?  Didn't see that one. 

I didn't see it either, actually, but I gather there's an episode where she waterskied -- in some sort of near-1890s bathing costume, perhaps? -- but whatever she wore didn't cover her knees (because imagine water skiing in some sort of skirt that hung below your knees!), so they put a (I think) black bar over them on the video...... I'm sure somebody who watches can point you toward the episode. it's pretty internet-famous. For obvious reasons!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

They black barred her KNEES??? That's hilarious! But what about the filming crew, who actually witnessed Mullet's sacred knees - weren't they DEFRAUDED???? Mullet and her faked obsession about 'modesty' - what a joke.

But Dim Jim's 'heh heh heh, you can't do this yet!' whist playing miniature golf is 'wholesome family viewing'???? Such incredible Duggar bullshite (and they WONDER why their first born I grew up to be a total train wreck?!).

Yehp they are a bunch of contradicting cherry pickers.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 2

That scene at the store was when he was still just friends with Ben. Jeremy was just starting to notice Jinger then, but they weren't allowed to "talk" yet. That came after the missioncation in December (shower was in October).