Type keyword(s) to search

Best Bios

Blergh
  • Start Topic

Ralegh0.jpg.b3ffc38810f3219ba343a6ab1486c28b.jpg

Sir Walter Ralegh, by John Winton

This one surprised me by how good it is. The name John Winton was unknown to me, but it seems he mainly wrote about the British Navy in WWII.  I would put this in my Top Ten Bios alongside authors like Chernow, McCullough and Stacy Schiff. The amount of research alone is impressive, yet it remains extremely readable without any drag. What an interesting life! I really didn't want it to end, especially so tragically.

• Like 2

I mentioned this in the Prince Harry thread, but Act One by Moss Hart is one of my favorite memoirs. It's not an autobiography, as it's not chronological, nor does it cover much of his life. But he does describe his lonely childhood, his slow climb to literary fame, so well and so vividly. The book is full of humor and life.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I mentioned this in the Prince Harry thread, but Act One by Moss Hart is one of my favorite memoirs.

Thank you for bringing this up in that thread.  I read that book years ago and went to Amazon to see whether it was available.  It definitely is and an added bonus was that the kindle edition was on sale (at least in Canada) for only .99!  Huzzah.

• Like 2