Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Everybody Loves Talking

On 11/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, ByTor said:

I hope everybody has a happy Thanksgiving!  May your turkey not be tofu and your cranberry sauce hantastic!  And if you like tofu turkey, have at it! :)

Why are you ignoring my bass? Bass is a great Thanksgiving food!

2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:
5 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

“You know what I like? Butter!”

We say this line in real life now,  A lot!

I said it as I put a big wad of butter on my leftover mashed potatoes :)

• Love 2
On 11/26/2018 at 8:05 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Caught The Big Sick on a flight the other day.  Excellent movie, and Ray Romano does a lovely job as Kumail Nanjiani's future father-in-law.

And he and Holly Hunter made a surprisingly believable and touching couple.

• Love 1

Ray Romano is a much better actor than I thought.  I had to quit watching Parenthood as it started giving me rage blackouts, but when I was watching he was pretty much the only character I liked, and I attribute a lot of that to the acting.

I understand about Parenthood -- yeesh, did that ever become awful real quick!  I remember reading or hearing Phil Rosenthal talk about Ray taking acting lessons during ELR and also soaking up as much as he could from Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts.  Ray works really hard, and it pays off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

I understand about Parenthood -- yeesh, did that ever become awful real quick!  I remember reading or hearing Phil Rosenthal talk about Ray taking acting lessons during ELR and also soaking up as much as he could from Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts.  Ray works really hard, and it pays off.

Over the course of ELR it was clear Ray was becoming a better actor and doing less stand-up in the cast setting.  I didn't realize he took acting lessons; just figured working with two such great actors as Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts was his classroom.

• Love 1

Even the first year of ELR I thought Ray more than held his own when compared to other stand up comedians who ventured into acting but there was a point, maybe 2nd or 3rd season where he got really good.  Emmy winning good.  By the last season, frankly, I thought he was better than Patty Heaton.  I don't know who she way playing that last year but it sure wasn't Debra Barone!

• Love 1

Acting lessons may be the wrong characterization.  I think Ray had an acting coach who worked with him outside of the ELR rehearsals.  That's what he says in this interview:

When I got “Everyone Loves Raymond,” they gave me an acting coach. They said “we want to try to hook you up with an acting coach to maybe meet once a week, and go over the script.  This is different than stand-up… people are going to talk back to you now!”

4 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Even the first year of ELR I thought Ray more than held his own when compared to other stand up comedians who ventured into acting

He was certainly better than Jerry Seinfeld :)

• Love 3