Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Everybody Loves Talking

On 9/1/2016 at 9:25 PM, ByTor said:

Everybody Loves Raymond was kicked off Netflix!  How am I supposed to fall asleep?????

I know me too! I watched some episodes on youtube, if that's any help. 

There are probably plenty of third party sites such as Watch Series and Gorilla Vid that have it. I used to borrow the DVDs from my library until I finally splurged the 80 bucks to buy the series DVD set from Amazon. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. It comes out to less than $10 a season that way, so it's not too bad. 

Oh I also think TVLand airs it at night. They show way too many commercials though. 

Edited by BogoGog24

I still can catch it on two of the channels I get but they cut out lines and in some cases whole scenes to add more commercials that it gets frustrating. I do have the whole series on DVD but sometimes you just want to flip the channels and watch random episodes.  Or I do anyway :).  One thing that's really annoying is that the main channel I watch it on has, for at least a year now, never aired the episode they are describing as being the episode that is on. Someone really screwed up somewhere and they've never corrected it!

I've been working my way through the complete series and am almost done with season 7. I just have the finale "Robert's Wedding" to watch before moving on to season 8. I have seen the majority of the episodes before but there's a few I have never seen so it's nice to be able to watch the series from start to finish.

• Love 4
On 9/9/2016 at 9:24 AM, CherryAmes said:

One thing that's really annoying is that the main channel I watch it on has, for at least a year now, never aired the episode they are describing as being the episode that is on. Someone really screwed up somewhere and they've never corrected it!

I am betting we're getting the same channel!  It's nice that they've circled around to the first season again and at least they don't seem to be cutting out as much as other channels do but it is annoying not knowing which episode it is as I PVR them and I like to know ahead of time if it's an episode I want to watch or not!

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 2
On September 9, 2016 at 9:24 AM, CherryAmes said:

I still can catch it on two of the channels I get but they cut out lines and in some cases whole scenes to add more commercials that it gets frustrating. I do have the whole series on DVD but sometimes you just want to flip the channels and watch random episodes.  Or I do anyway :).  One thing that's really annoying is that the main channel I watch it on has, for at least a year now, never aired the episode they are describing as being the episode that is on. Someone really screwed up somewhere and they've never corrected it!

I DVR The Closer, even though I have all the episodes on DVD.  That channel never gets an episode description correct.  How hard is it that no one has fixed this?

The localish channel that is running ELR aired the Christmas episodes each night in the run up to Christmas.  Oddly though they didn't show The Toaster.  I know I didn't miss it because I PVR it (because it's not like owning all the seasons on DVD is enough) and I think they got every Christmas episode except that one.  Which is arguably the fan favourite and probably the best known even among people who aren't rabid fans.  Weird.

• Love 1

My daughter is making the Thanksgiving Day dinner for the first time this year.  I am feeling very Marie Baronish because even though we are going over there later I have a turkey in the oven.  It's the turkey without stuffing for family members  who need gluten free.  Still I love that when I said I was making a 'just in case' turkey my kids knew what I was talking about :).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

I hope the whole dinner is hantastic! And maybe you should also bring a tofu turkey just in case anyone wants to go vegan for the day :)

.......and a fish to start a new Thanksgiving tradition.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2017 at 1:21 PM, CherryAmes said:

I am feeling very Marie Baronish because even though we are going over there later I have a turkey in the oven. 

Heh, I had a Debra Barone moment yesterday.  My cousin sent me some of our late Grandmother's recipes and I made her shortbread -melt in your mouth- shortbread cookies.  Well they were good.  They really were.  But they did not taste like my grandmother's!  I didn't add tarragon :) but I just don't know.  Did she leave out an ingredient when she wrote down the recipe or do I just not have the love?

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 3

I think most of us have had a Debra Barone moment or two!  For me it's my mother's fruit cake.  I follow the recipe faithfully but it never tastes like hers does.  I guess you're right and I don't have the love :).

• Love 1

For my mom and me, it's a holiday nut-roll recipe we received from an older Hungarian friend we called "grandma."  It tasted great, but ours always had a split top while hers remained intact.  I'm convinced her oven was calibrated differently.

• Love 2

I had a Ray Barone moment once.  It was the 1st time I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper; I had no idea it would be THAT slippery, and when I took my cookies out of the oven (gas oven), they slid right off onto the bottom of the oven and caught on fire!  Unlike Ray, though,I didn't use an abnormally short hose to put the fire out :)

• Love 2

I found out that ELR is airing on a channel I get.  CMT-43.  It's a little odd that a show about suburban New Yorkers is on the Country Music Television Channel but I'm not complaining!  It only seems to be on once a week but they are airing 3 episodes at a time so yay CMT.

• Love 2

I watch it on TV Land every night. I never watched when it was new because I hate Marie with a passion but I started catching a repeat here and there and liked it despite Marie.  I mainly watched because I kept waiting for the episode where Debra finally kicked Marie out of the house and told her to not come back unless she could be less of a manipulative, condescending, insulting, belittling witch but it never happened. 

Can you tell that I hate Marie's guys? Frank was an ass but he was way too good for that shrew. 

• Love 1

I had a my own ELR moment a while ago at work.  I was talking to a parent (I am a sped teacher) and the mom was curious if her daughter liked me (I don't care if a student likes me but hey) and I was like, "Look!!  Here is a picture your daughter drew of me!"  It was barely recognizable (girl is in 5th grade and has Down's) so I channeled the twin's preschool teacher and said, "Oh I can see it....it just lacks a little detail."

On 10/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, Maharincess said:

Can't forget squash, it's the only yellow! 

I have used this line in real life as well.

Another line I use:  "Okay...I am REALLY TISSED!"  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2

A line I use a lot is "And now we sit. Because now we know." It doesn't even need to make sense in context, I often just use it when I sit down!

The one where the electricity goes out is one of my favorites. For that line and also for Robert's Good 'n Plenty breakdown - "The pinks are good. And the whites are plenty. Because there's more of them. And they're not as good." Of course there's the third category of irregulars, called cuties.

The dancing!

"Me thinks thou doth..." "Don't say I think thou doth protest too much!" "Okay. But me thinks it!"

And I also love the little Taa Daa! move Marie does after Ray calls her a childish, meddling, buttinski. I get why people hate Marie so much, I hate her too a lot of the time. But doggone it Doris Roberts was a delight!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if this was a Debra or Ray moment - definitely an AIS moment.  My husband and son and grandson are going to see Jumanji today.  My husband was supposed to pick up the boys at 12.  I started prompting him to get ready around 11.15 and it was going so well.  He needed to leave our house at 11:50 to be on time.  Almost made it.  Then at 11.48 he went downstairs to get something...He did leave, didn't get a curling iron stuck in his hair!  I guess it was a Ray moment for me and a Debra one for him. The big difference being,  unlike Debra, he really doesn't care if he's late and doesn't understand why anyone would make a fuss over "a few minutes".  What he doesn't get is it's never just a few  minutes!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ByTor said:

I had no idea Ray Romano was going to be in that Scorsese Netflix movie The Irishman! 

Romano has really turned into quite a good actor.  I remember reading or seeing something in a behind-the-scenes piece on ERL's early days about him working with an acting coach and being very diligent about it.  The man could have rested on his laurels after ELR (I'm sure money was no concern at that point) but he went on to co-create a very interesting series in Men of a Certain Age and has continued to stretch his acting roles.  I'm impressed!

Edited by Inquisitionist
Fixed typo.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Romano has really turned into quite a good actor.

He also was good in Parenthood (but truth be told I hated that show with the heat of 10 billion suns).

• Love 2

A local station is airing The Mary Tyler Moore Show and today it was the "Phyliss Whips Inflation" episode with Doris Roberts.  She looked so young!!!!  And was so funny and different from Marie.  What a wonderful actress she was.

Edited by CherryAmes
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

A local station is airing The Mary Tyler Moore Show and today it was the "Phyliss Whips Inflation" episode with Doris Roberts.  She looked so young!!!!  And was so funny and different from Marie.  What a wonderful actress she was.

I am afraid to look up Doris Robert's IMDB page - I bet it is epic.  She was quite the character actress, and good for her! 

3 hours ago, deaja said:

I always loved her on Remington Steele. She was one of the greats.

Much as I loved the first year of Remington Steele I think the show got better when Mildred Krebs showed up!  I loved the way she doted on "the boss" :).

Among the last roles she played she was Mrs Miracle - in two movies based on books by Debbie Macomber.  Now you want to talk about a character about as far removed from Marie Barone as you can get - then let's talk about Mrs Miracle!  They are light Christmas fare and lots of fun to watch and made into better than average TV movies thanks to Doris Roberts.

Edited by BlossomCulp

So, my 5 year old walked in the room while I was watching “Talk to Your Daughter” and spent 5 following minutes questioning what a “smelly tramp” is and if he can call people a “tramp.” He would not let it go. No more Raymond for him!

4 hours ago, deaja said:

So, my 5 year old walked in the room while I was watching “Talk to Your Daughter” and spent 5 following minutes questioning what a “smelly tramp” is and if he can call people a “tramp.” He would not let it go. No more Raymond for him!

LOL!  Did he also ask if he can call a girl "fat legs?" :)

• Love 1