Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Everybody Loves Talking

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hello everyone.  I love ELR, it's one of the shows I'll put on as background noise when at home (this and Law & Order) - it's the TV equivalent of comfort food for me. I didn't watch it much when it originally aired - maybe here and there, but grew to love it in syndication.  

(edited)

There was one chilly Saturday that I was under a blanket watching "Be Nice" & I took a nap during the episode (funny since one of the moms at the park said to Raymond "Your wife naps??").  It just felt so good since I rarely get a chance to nap & ever since then I've been referring to ELR as "comfort food" also :)

Edited by ByTor

I'd taken a bit of a break from Everybody Loves Raymond, well I still saw an occasional episode on TV but the DVDs were getting dusty :).  Anyway I recently got the impulse to start watching it again and I'm happy to say I still find it to be one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever watched.  I find it doesn't seem dated at all to me unlike a few other old favourites like Cheer for example.  The only thing that I notice that reminds me it's not being filmed right now is the lack of cell phones and no one is schlepping around a tablet or laptop.

Marie's Meatballs! Love it!

I watched Hackidu earlier this evening. It has one of my all-time favorite Marie moments:

"Scramisaur's the fastest creature on hackidu mountain.

He starts off as a slugawog, very slow, and he can only evolve into a scramisaur if he gets the sonic crystal.

That's why scramisaurs are rare and valuable.

I'm grandma.

I have this and candy."

• Love 3

I've been watching season 8 on DVD and I have to admit I'm beginning to really despise Robert.  In almost every episode he comes off as a blustering bullying blowhard so eaten up with jealousy that he can't control himself and lashes out, mainly at Amy or Ray over some pretty trivial things.  I guess this was always part of his character but in earlier seasons they put more effort into giving him a "good" reason for his behavior.  This season, not so much.  He just comes across as mean.

• Love 2

Lots of love for Ray Romano's acting in the Parenthood thread.  I remember reading that duirng the first season of ELR, Ray worked diligently with an acting coach.  He got steadily better in the role of Ray Barone, but his work in MoaCA and then Parenthood have been a revelation.  Well done, Ray!

• Love 1

There was one chilly Saturday that I was under a blanket watching "Be Nice" & I took a nap during the episode (funny since one of the moms at the park said to Raymond "Your wife naps??").  It just felt so good since I rarely get a chance to nap & ever since then I've been referring to ELR as "comfort food" also :)

This made me smile.  I never watched this show when it was on the air.  I was sick one time and woke up, too lazy to look for clicker and laughed away the flu while watching the episode about the suitcase.  I was hooked.  Unfortuantely, one day, I found ELR on Netflix.  Did not get one thing done for two days.  

• Love 4

I discovered ELR when my family was going through some hard times due initially to a job loss and then a relocation for a new job which meant leaving extended family behind.  ELR was definitely comfort food for my husband and myself then - I credit it with keeping us smiling!

• Love 3

Is anybody watching Exporting Raymond? Its about the Phil Rosenthal going to Russia to make the Russian version of Raymond.

It was very interesting. I don't know if this is a new special or a repeat. I stumbled across it tomight. I enjoyed it.

Phil's parents are the best.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

Oh how sad.  It's going to be a little harder to watch this show now.  When Peter Boyle died, it was sad, but he was an elderly man who had been ill.  Just not the same when it's a young person, especially when they take their own life.

• Love 2

Ray Romano and Patricia Heaton have issued statements, quoted here:

Romano, 57, said in a statement: "I'm shocked, and terribly saddened, by the news about Sawyer.

"He was a wonderful and sweet kid to be around. Just a great energy whenever he was there.

"My heart breaks for him, his family, and his friends during this very difficult time."

Patricia Heaton, who played Sweeten's mother, paid tribute on Twitter, saying: "Sawyer Sweeten was a funny and exceptionally bright young man. He is gone from us far too soon.

"The entire cast of Everybody Loves Raymond is in shock."

ELR co-creator Phil Rosenthal remembered Sawyer today as well:

We knew and loved Sawyer as a little boy. He and his real life siblings Sullivan and Madylin were such a charming, integral part of our TV family. They never failed to make us laugh, or remind of us how we feel about our own children.
We are terribly sad to hear this news and our hearts go out to Sawyer’s family.

His manager is saying there were no signs of depression or other problems:

Sweeten's manager, Dino May, tells Us Weekly there were "no signs" of trouble prior to the Everybody Loves Raymond actor taking his own life. "Everybody was shocked," he says. "[There was] no depression, no nothing. He was a good kid. Teenage stuff, but no depression, no signs or anything."

He adds that there was nothing "Hollywood" about Sweeten, and that he wasn't "doing drugs or...anything like that." He was "just a great, very quiet, very shy kid,"

Is anybody watching Exporting Raymond? Its about the Phil Rosenthal going to Russia to make the Russian version of Raymond.

It was very interesting. I don't know if this is a new special or a repeat. I stumbled across it tomight. I enjoyed it.

Phil's parents are the best.

I know this post is several months old, but as a heads up to those who have not seen the movie, it was so good! My husband and I watched when it first came out. If you can find an actual physical DVD copy, the extras on the disk have the pilot that was made. It's funny to watch and see the scenes that were discussed, and how it ended up. It's also really interesting how much was taken from the American pilot.

His manager is saying there were no signs of depression or other problems:

Just shows how deep depression can run and how hard people work to hide it. I hope his family has found some peace.

Don't do the math!  I figured out the other day just how long it's been since ELR was on in prime time.  The show still seems so fresh to me and doesn't seem dated - well except for the episode with the cheque books!  My 15 yr old niece watched that one with me one night and I had to explain to her that "in the olden days" people paid their bills by mailing cheques.  She thought that was odd :).

• Love 1

Checks are definitely alive and well in the US.   I somehow always manage to get stuck behind someone paying by check in the grocery store (it takes FOREVER!).  I also needed to pay by check when I closed on my house (and this was just a few months ago).  I'm outside of Philadelphia, so it's not like an urban vs rural thing going on. I guess some countries use checks more than others.

Here it's not like you can't use cheques but it's becoming more and more something you do in very specialized situations.  Mostly bills seem to get paid on-line nowadays.  Personally I am enough of a luddite (or traditionalist) that I'd keep paying by cheque if it were up to me.  Also I admit it I do worry about having all our financial information on-line!  But with regard to the even younger generation they're used to paying for things with their phones now (first time I saw someone do that I was gobsmacked!) - somehow I suspect even paying bills on-line will be something they see as old fashioned before too much more time goes by!

If there's an option to pay online that's exactly what I do, but like you I do worry about getting hacked.  My concern about paying by check is worry over my payment getting lost in the mail, or misplaced in the billing department (I suppose I have some real trust issues haha).  I did have an incident where someone was trying to drain my checking account.  Fortunately the bank picked up that activity before anything could happen & I was able to close my account.  It turned out that I used my debit card to make an online purchase & it was that site that was hacked.  That was the last time I used my debit card to buy anything, online or brick & mortar.

The LA episode of "I'll have what Phil is having" is perfect for any ELR fan since it has a scene with Ray and his real wife eating breakfast with Phil Rosenthal (and his wife Monica/Amy). Very funny and Phil does a pretty good Ray.

Pretty interesting concept and I give Phil a lot of credit for getting PBS (or someone) to pay for him to fly all over the world and eat at his favorite restaurants....and in LA with a bunch of his friends!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/what-phils-having/

• Love 2

So sad to hear about this.

She had one of the funniest lines ever uttered on a sitcom on the Mary Tyler Moore show. I may have gotten some of the details wrong (we're going back to the 70s here:), but Doris is working at an employment agency, and she's interviewing pampered Phyllis, whose husband told her she had to find a job or cut back on her spending. Phyllis is going on and on about her qualifications -- an uncanny ability to match wine with food -- and the kind of job she requires -- something prestigious, that pays extremely well and provides a lot of free time. Doris Roberts' character looks her in the eye and says, "Have you considered running for vice-president?"

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 3

Doris Roberts gone? "I don't like that, Raymond."

She was a national treasure and the heart of this show I love so much. Farewell, Marie Barone.

ETA: Someone on Facebook wrote "She left everything to Ray." Poor Robert, lol.

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 3

I usually put on the Raymond reruns on for my dad to watch before he goes to bed

I'm at the point where I cannot fall asleep unless I have a Raymond on. Last night I had the Boob Job one on...Marie got hers the natural way, pound cake :)

Nice words from Patricia Heaton...

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialPatriciaHeatonFanPage/photos/a.145731842156813.31496.109047902491874/1078997785496876/?type=3&theater

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

Oh no!  I loved her  in everything she was in :(. 

I can remember seeing her in St Elsewhere, a role she got her first Emmy for.  And I adored her as Mildred Krebs in Remington Steele - she was so absolutely wonderful in that role - and lucky her getting to share screen time with Pierce Brosnan!  Also loved her in the two Mrs Miracle movies.  Her character in those movies could not be less like Marie Barone! 

I had half hoped they might do an ELR reunion show, I was visualizing Marie and Lois joining forces and travelling the world as Merry Widows.  I hope they do a tribute show of some kind for her but I guess since the show has been off the air awhile now likely that won't happen.

I wondered if there would be a tribute from Pierce Brosnan - and there was a lovely one!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/pierce-brosnan-pays-tribute-to-late-co-star-doris-roberts-730356.html

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

The NY Times obituary for Roberts is disappointingly skimpy.  Here's a much more satisfying account of her life in the Washington Post.

“Everybody Loves Raymond” came calling about a decade later. Roberts beat out more than 100 actresses for the part of Marie, and everything about “Everybody” seemed to slide into place.

“No one on this show is trying to grab the spotlight,” she said in 1999. “No one’s trying to score an individual touchdown. It’s the best ensemble I’ve ever worked with.”

Roberts’s rapport with her cranky onscreen husband and foil, played by Peter Boyle, reinvented Edith and Archie Bunker for the 21st century.

“When Peter Boyle and I met for the first time on the show it was as if we had known each other for 45 years,” she said. “We got more laughs just giving each other dirty looks than anything else. I loved him.”

I wonder who the finalists were for the part of Marie. It would be interesting to imagine any of those women as Marie, especially after seeing how great Doris Roberts was.