Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Alaskans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

If you are missing seeing Alaska check out Win The Wilderness on Netflix.

Duane and Rena have the Heimo and Edna vibe.

You can admire what Duane and Rena accomplished with trapping lynx as their main source of income.

It is a BBC production but easier to see on Netflix.

Edited by humbleopinion
On 6/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, humbleopinion said:

If you are missing seeing Alaska check out Win The Wilderness on Netflix.

I have a question about that show.  The house is in Alaska, why are all the couples vying for it British?  Why are they all white and straight?

I've only watched one episode, the show is interesting but has me wondering.

Duane and Rena tried to sell it but no takers.

The concept of the show was shopped to the American networks but no takers.

BBC stepped up so the couples are from the UK.

Selection of the 6 couples was not discussed in depth.

Update: The winning couple is not living at the property full time because they can't get US Visas to do so.

They have Alaskan friends care taking the property in the meantime.

(edited)
On 6/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, humbleopinion said:

Update: The winning couple is not living at the property full time because they can't get US Visas to do so.

They have Alaskan friends care taking the property in the meantime.

That makes the show very pointless.  Why give it to a couple who can't even get Visas to come there? 

ETA:  I am on the last episode.  I don't think I'll continue as I don't like either of the last two couples.  Sorry.

Edited by Neurochick
On 6/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, humbleopinion said:

It was like a game of Hot Potato....the couple holding the potato when the music stopped is stuck with the responsibility of care taking this "prize."

I just found out who "won." 

Spoiler

I don't know how I feel about the winners.  The man looked like he was ready to retire and the woman has MS.  They also run a farm.  I think the younger couple should have won because they at least had ideas as to what to do with the place, turn it into some kind of wilderness retreat. 

The idea of a free homestead in remote Alaska sound great, the work to care and improve the place is daunting.

Someone like Charlie would be better...he has a plane to use the runway, he is young,he knows the lifestyle, he is accustomed to the solitude.

He can trap lynx to provide the cash flow needed to upgrade and maintain the property.

Wonder if Ashley and Tyler would jump at the chance to have that grand house to raise their growing family?

They would probably just stay in the Arctic Refuge...

• Love 1