Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Alaskans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well......I still like this show, but I really miss Bob & his family ALOT.  I just wasn't quite as intrigued.

i enjoyed learning about the Seldens dogs & the Korths are always interesting, but other than that?  I dunno. 

I missed the Korth daughters too.

So, so sad watching the old cabin burn. It was so difficult for Heimo and Edna. I cried. What a powerful scene.

I am loving Charlie. His cabin is going to be beautiful. It was good to see a little dab of everyone at the end.

• Love 5

I'm glad I watched this one. I didn't realize it was season finale:(

Beautiful bookends with the final fire burning the Korths cabin & Charlie declaring the " first light " in his new cabin.

Loved seeing Bob at the end !!!!!

i adore Edna. I started sobbing when she told Heimo, " Stop mentioning it!" So heartbreaking :(

• Love 3
11 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Yes, it was the final show of Season 2.

Animal Planet's decision to have a Season 3 is pending.

http://premieredate.tv/tv-series/2376-is-the-last-alaskans-coming-back-for-season-2-release-date.html

Fingers crossed.

My fingers crossed too!

i am becoming more attached to the Seldons.  They make a great team. Ashley seems to be the voice of sensitivity & emotion. Example - loving on the dogs. While Tyler is more practical & pragmatic.  He is the voice of it takes more than emotion to survive out there. Example - reminding us that they are working dogs, not simply pets.

• Love 1

MAN, Charlie Jagow is turning me into a dirty old woman. That is one handsome young man. I bet he's getting a lot of letters from Alaskan girls who want to share that cozy cabin.

Also, I'm a cynical, coal-hearted grinch, and even so, I can't wait for the Seldens to have kids. There is a shortage in this world of the kind of kids they're going to raise.

Burning the cabin was so sad, but I respect the Korths for choosing to restore the wilderness even if it's painful.

• Love 1

Just finished "The Final Frontiersman" by Heimo's cousin, James Campbell.

If you are curious about this family, it is a good read.

Covers Coleen's death and the poignant affect on the Korths.

Heimo is wearing the same jacket on the book cover as he wears on the show.

Charlie Jagow (the newest cast member of The Last Alaskans) is mentioned as a nine year old.

No mention of Bob Hart or the Ray Lewis.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Just finished "The Final Frontiersman" by Heimo's cousin, James Campbell.

If you are curious about this family, it is a good read.

Covers Coleen's death and the poignant affect on the Korths.

Heimo is wearing the same jacket on the book cover as he wears on the show.

Charlie Jagow (the newest cast member of The Last Alaskans) is mentioned as a nine year old.

No mention of Bob Hart or the Ray Lewis.

That's cool !  I definitely want to read that.  It's my understanding that Heimo is from Appleton, Wisconsin.  I was born and raised about 3 hrs from Appleton, in Upper Michigan.  My niece actually lives in Appleton.    In my hometown EVERYONE has an accent just like Heimo's.  : ) Maybe that's why I feel a connection to him.  LOL 

James Campbell has a new book out "Braving It" chronicling the Alaskan adventure he had with his daughter.

Probably has a chapter about their  visit to the Korths in the new book.

My local library is buying it so am waiting patiently.

You will enjoy all the references Heimo makes about growing up in your neck of the woods.

• Love 1

Just fiddling around looking at Last Alaskan google sites and found a couple sites that folks may find interesting. First off, some old family photo type pages at Animal Planet http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/the-last-alaskans/photos/scenes-from-the-alaskan-wilderness/ in addition to the gallery that bookmark brings up, there are separate galleries for the Korth, Lewis, and Harte families. Also, James Campbell's daughter, Aidan has a blog https://grittygal.com I've just started reading it, but she proves to be a good writer herself, and has some stories about trips to Alaska to visit the Korths with her Dad.

• Love 2

If you get the Viceland Channel there is a show called Balls Deep with an episode that their host Thomas spends a week with the Korths.

Pretty much what we see on TLA but see Coleen's cross, Heimo teaches Thomas to snare a bunny, they kill a bear who has been stalking the yard, they fish.

Good stuff.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

From the Bob Harte Fan club fb page...

Talicia had a baby so Bob is a grandfather!

Does that mean the grand baby is theoretically and possibly the Last Alaskan?

TLA returns in March 2017.

Was there anything about Bob's health? I've been worried about him since last season's final episode.

• Love 2

Awww man, thank you SO MUCH for posting this humbleopinion

I am very happy to hear he is doing well.  That makes my day.   AND he is a Grandfather?!?  Wow, he must be overjoyed. : ) 

I'm so happy for Bob and his family. 

I'm wondering if he will do at least a cameo for the upcoming season.  I hope so. 

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 3

Animal Planet is showing several episodes Season 2 of The Last Alaskans with Bonus footage of unseen events and Behind the Scenes with the camera crews on camera showing how they set up camp, live while shooting the different families.

Your mileage may vary.

Season 3 starts March 22 on Discovery.

Heimo and Edna wish to pass the legacy on to Kirin.

Charlie will be settling in.

Tyler and Ashley will be expecting their first child.

Bob Harte's saga continues.

No word if the Lewises will be on this season with the girls all scattered doing their own thing.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Season 3 starts March 22 on Discovery.

Heimo and Edna wish to pass the legacy on to Kirin.

Charlie will be settling in.

Tyler and Ashley will be expecting their first child.

Bob Harte's saga continues.

No word if the Lewises will be on this season with the girls all scattered doing their own thing.

I'm so excited it's back!!!  I already marked my calendar.   Here is an update on season:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/03/last-alaskans-season-3-ray-lewis-cindy-lewis/

• Love 1

Welcome back, Last Alaskans. I've missed you. Best reality/documentary show in my viewing rotation because it's not contrived; events happen organically and all their activities and adventures are interesting. I often wonder how they manage (and know I never could). Have to say that I find each episode bittersweet and usually get a bit misty when Heimo takes a walk down memory lane. He and I are at the same point in our lives and I can identify so strongly with his sentimentality. 

Looks like Tyler's wife is pregnant, according to the coming attractions. Those beautiful dogs will be taking a back seat soon.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 1

Looks like the Lewis family won't be back for Season 3.

The season opens in August...

Edna and Heimo have spent the last 4 months in town but are back to the Refuge expecting Kirin, their youngest daughter to visit with their newest grandchild.

Heimo bags a caribou so Edna is happy about having meat and visitors coming.

Tyler invites his brother Dustin, who lives in Nebraska to accompany him on a 4 day maiden voyage boat trip to the trap line.

Ashley will fly in later.

Charlie puts up the last log to his entirely built on his own cabin... with the roof, floor, door, windows to come.

Tease has Bob coming back to his cabin and all his fans can all rejoice.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bob Harte fans need to tune in to the March 29th episode to see Bob entering his cabin since he left it last... someone's been in the cabin...again.

I'm so glad he'll be on an episode; but hope the bear didn't do too much damage to the cabin. 

• Love 1

Was so thrilled to see that Bob is coming back. As a cancer survivor, I was fighting with him so he could return to the place he loves. Hope he can keep going back until he is an elderly GREAT-grandfather. Congrats to him and his family.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Thinking the girls scattered and Ray wants his solitude.

I think you nailed it. I think all these folks really value being in the bush living their chosen life style. Unfortunately, they can't live that life style year round, so spend at least part of the year "in town". I imagine all of them enjoy the money made from the show, as it helps them spend more time living as they want. With the Lewis family, I wouldn't be surprised if some of that money ended up helping the girls go to college or otherwise set up their futures.

On a slightly different topic, one of the reasons I like this show is that none of these folks are dummies. Pilots, a welder, college graduates etc, not a dummy in the group - oh, and none of the kids they raised out in the sticks are dummies, either. I had read that Ashley and Tyler met in college, but it surprised me a bit to hear Tyler's brother say Tyler majored in philosophy. Not sure why it surprised me, as there's probably lots of time for deep philosophical thought on those long Alaskan nights or walking/mushing a trapline.

Final thought for this post... I was really impressed with Heimo's hunt this week. It's made clear to viewers that these are hunters and trappers who rely on killing game for their livelihood and food. In the past we've heard how not getting a kill has adversely affected their lifestyle. Still, when we see them hunt the game they need for food, there's always a feeling that they are not going to take an iffy shot that would cause needless suffering to prey. Unlike some of the fake reality shows where the "hunters" blast away at any game they see, or leave the impression that if not for the camera they'd shoot that cow with a calf, on this show hunters practice what would be called ethical hunting. (Although at times it's obvious they're about ready to shoot the cameraman making all that noise stumbling along behind them.) On this hunt, Heimo patiently looked for game through his binoculars - not his scope, stalked the caribou when he spotted it, worked for a good shot while making sure he was NOT shooting the cow with a calf, made a good shot and, immediately made a kill shot when he saw the downed cow trying to get up... and I've seen other shows violate everything I wrote in that sentence. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

On this hunt, Heimo patiently looked for game through his binoculars - not his scope, stalked the caribou when he spotted it, worked for a good shot while making sure he was NOT shooting the cow with a calf,

If you are truly devoted to this lifestyle, you quickly realize that shooting willy nilly at everything and anything only ruins your own hopes for the future. The calves will one day grow up and produce their own offspring, thus keeping the caribou population large enough for you to continue to hunt. And they never want to make an animal suffer needlessly. It's part of their pact with nature, I think.

• Love 2

I try to comfort myself that a seasoned hunter knows how to kill animals swiftly and with a minimum of suffering. But having many hunters in my family, and having hunted myself as a child, I know that there are often times when the animal doesn't die immediately and they do suffer (although adrenaline spurts may help some). And the trapping that these people choose to do is inhumane; those pelts are mostly to generate income.

I think this series has slowly exposed the viewers to this topic. Andy from Life Below Zero said last season that a lynx he trapped was still alive after being in the trap for awhile - possibly a day or two - and I briefly saw it struggling as it hung. Heimo stated in this recent episode that their primary wintertime activity is to trap to generate income.

So as much as I love watching these folks, and admire their personalities, tenacity and values, I can't ignore the fact that they choose to make a living off of animals' suffering. It's ironic to me that these are all white people who moved to the arctic refuge, with the exception of Edna, taking Alaska's natural resources to eat and generate income. Plus, the US Postal Service pays for many supplies to be flown to remote parts of Alaska - taxpayer-subsidized food and other supplies.

I never thought about this stuff until some of the participants on Life Below Zero bragged about taking resources while simultaneously disparaging all the people who live in developed areas and go to work every day. One thing I love about The Last Alaskans is that they don't indulge in that kind of bragging and sneering.

Rant over. Still love the show.

Loved seeing the two brothers figure out how to navigate the river, with a boat stuffed full of beautiful dogs. (How do they pee or drink water while they are in the boat for long hours?)

Also love Heimo's bittersweet ponderings - he lives in the moment and appreciates what he has.

Can't wait to see Bob and hopefully Ruger.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Loved seeing the two brothers figure out how to navigate the river, with a boat stuffed full of beautiful dogs. (How do they pee or drink water while they are in the boat for long hours?)

If those dogs are anything like my dog, they can go for hours and hours without peeing (my female dog can go about 12-14 hours if need be even though she is elderly). I wish I had her bladder! 

I believe I saw Ruger in an coming attraction. Once again, I am ecstatic that Bob was able to return to his beloved wilderness.

• Love 1

Bob gave Ruger to Talicia when she return home from her visit to his cabin  but with the baby Talicia's main concern it probably is better for Ruger to keep Bob company out in the Refuge.

Every person on TLA,  have expressed their gratitude to be able to use the resources of the wilderness.

Every bit of the animal is used... for food...Tyler boiling up the spine for a meaty stew for the dogs or the hide... to sell or make into wearable items.

This episode was about Bob, the Seldens and the Korths.

Flashing back a year with Bob, it showed how grey, tired, thin and ill he was before he left the cabin.

Current time had him rolling in on a motorcycle looking healthy and happy.

He does go back to the woods with Ruger to pick up some traps and to bear proof his cabin better to find some intruder named Scott made himself at home in the cabin while Bob was away.

The trespasser broke a Bowie knife, used all the firewood without replacing and messed with the stove and chimney.

Bob is distressed and but hopes to be back in winter but it depends on his health.

Tyler and his brother, Dustin plus the dogs made it up river safely to the trap line and find the cabin was flooded with a few inches of water and silt as in years past.

Ashley flew in with a couple more dogs to meet the guys and announced she was preggers to the audience.

The Seldens are going to build a new cabin, you see the logs ready for the assembly.

Heimo and Edna greet their youngest daughter Kirin with their latest grand baby Colby for a visit.

The pressure is on Kirin to continue the legacy since middle daughter, Rhonda has already stated she doesn't want to live on the Refuge.

Watching Heimo babysitting was fun, he looks more comfortable eviscerating a moose than trying to get Colby down for a nap.

No Charlie on this episode.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, jnymph said:

I actually clapped with glee upon watching Bob & Ruger make their triumphant return home.  

Ruger just might be the most beautiful dog I've ever seen.

Ruger was as happy as Bob, to be home and free again.  Tears of joy.

And OMG, the eyes on that dog!  That eyeliner!  I am infatuated with the beautiful Ruger, and I'm normally attracted to ugly mutts.  But then again, I am halfways in love with poor old Bob, so I must be getting soft in my old age.  ;-)

It's all platonic, and not at all creepy, I swear!  They just make me feel like there's something good and pure left in this big old bad world.  A man and his dog, living a simple life with some regrets, but acceptance and satisfaction that comes from peace with his environment. I get it.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Bob spends a few days in his cabin with the task of collecting lynx traps and other items he will sell to finance his snow bird plans to explore the lower 48 in his tricked out pickup.

Recuperating from the blow to his strength and stamina has taken fighting the tumors in his intestine, he wants to eat, travel and hopefully can be back in the woods in the future.

He locks up his cabin more securely to keep trespassers out.

Tyler's uncle and father have joined him and his brother to build a new cabin because mold from repeated flooding has weakened the logs.

Heimo and Kirin go caribou hunting with no luck but that's how hunting is sometimes.

No Charlie in this episode but expecting his story to be picked up now that Bob has flown out.

• Love 1

I hope Bob has lovely adventures and regains some of his health and strength.

It was nice too see the strong bond Heimo and Kirin have.  I do hope she is able to carry on the legacy - she really does seem to enjoy the lifestyle.