Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Alaskans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The Bob Harte Fan Club FB page has info for the memorial service and if you want to help the family.

There is a pix of Bob, Talicia and the grandbaby

I read that Bob had a net worth of $600,000 so I think they are all ok!  Honestly I think Bob would be embrassed.  He was such a good man.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MissT said:

Does anyone know if this show will be renewed for another season?

Hmmm, not sure one way or the other. I suppose there is the chance we could get a new season, what with the next generation of a couple families expressing interest (and the 1 kid who has already pretty much single handedly built a cabin).

I did do a quicky google search and didn't find an answer.... what I did find is that Animal Planet will be airing first season episodes 1-4 on Monday, December 4th. Great for me, since I didn't discover the show until mid-season 2.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1

11/25/2018  Episode description:

"Hit the Ground Running"

Heimo traverses his best hunting grounds; Tyler tracks caribou with the hopes of killing one for food prior to the cold Alaskan winter taking hold; Charlie inspects his traplines and discovers damage due to summer wildfires.

• Love 1

S04 E01

Good news, the show is just as quiet and filmed as beautifully as previous seasons.

Catching up with the cast:

Heimo and Edna Korth anticipate the arrival of youngest daughter, Korin with her husband, Scott and son, Colby moving to the Refuge to live the lifestyle in the Upper cabin.

Charlie Jagow explores the burned areas of his father’s trapline cut over 30 years ago and how the loss of established trails will affect his upcoming trapping season.

Tyler and Ashley plus 4 month baby, Sydney are thriving out in the Refuge. Tyler’s brother, Dustin is living with the Seldens helping.

The brothers shoot 3 caribou.

• Love 3

I caught a repeat of an earlier scene with Krin and the baby, who yanked hard on Heimo's beard. He screeched and we got a belly laugh from the normally taciturn Edna. I laughed hard.

My whole extended family loves this show. I look forward to watching the little ones grow up in the wilderness. Papa Selden reminds me so much of the Scandinavian men in my family - same temperament.

There's a definite theme across the Alaska shows about weather changes and, in some places, scarcity of animals for hunting and trapping.

• Love 2

Update on Bob Hart has him living with Talisha and grandaughter, Carmella in Fairbanks.

Edna and Heimo welcome Kirin, Scott and Colby to the Refuge.

The Nelsons find the cabin has mold so Scott has to make it safe before the family moves in.

Charlie hunts.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1

Heimo and Edna (especially) are so happy to see Krin and her family up at the cabin.  Edna is just crazy about Colby!  I do hope the Nelsons find a way to make a life in the Refuge, and continue Edna & Heimo's legacy.

It was bittersweet seeing Bob again - he was very sweet with his granddaughter.

Spoiler

May Bob Harte rest in eternal peace in his beloved back country (01/23/51 - 07/22/17).   A great loss that I am feeling all over again with these new episodes.

• Love 4

I love this show.  I love the people because the love the life they're living.  They don't look down on those who live in civilization.  One thing about their lifestyle, you have to be healthy in order to be bale to live it, that's what is sad about seeing Bob because the truth is that sometimes people can't live alone, they need help and that's not necessarily a bad thing, one of the good things about civilization.

• Love 3

I didn't realize that Bob was so young. What a terrible shame.

This show makes instantly riveting drama out of nothing. The worry about getting a moose or not is the same every year. Yet as soon as I see the families back in the woods, I'm wringing my hands over what they'll catch. Oh no! Wolves are scaring the caribou away!

I wonder if some Alaskan backwoods wife candidates are beating Charlie's door down. That is one handsome kid.

I wish they had explained how the mold treatment happened. You clearly don't fly in for the season with a hazmat suit ready to go, so there was some kind of communication with town, resupply, etc. How does that affect their budget for the year? Has Scott done this kind of treatment before or did he need to learn how to do it? We don't need to see all the details, but a caption card would have been nice.

When Krin was talking about how her baby wants to explore everything, and how scary that is near the cliff, I kept thinking about her aunt (the third sister?) who drowned as a toddler. I don't think Krin was even born then, but it has to be a shadow on everything they do. These Alaskans don't live in a seat belt/life vest world. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, IvySpice said:

When Krin was talking about how her baby wants to explore everything, and how scary that is near the cliff, I kept thinking about her aunt (the third sister?) who drowned as a toddler. I don't think Krin was even born then, but it has to be a shadow on everything they do. These Alaskans don't live in a seat belt/life vest world. 

That's very true, but most people over a certain age didn't live in a seat belt/life vest world and not only in Alaska.  But you're right, that death probably is in their minds.

• Love 2

Heimo's daughter, Krin, and her husband, Scott, attempt to prove that they can make it in the refuge as they track a wild caribou herd; Ashley and Tyler seek to make a major improvement at their cabin by installing running water.

Being able to pump water in their cabin is such a big game changer for Ashley and Tyler, especially now that they have a baby.  No more long treks with heavy buckets for Ashley.

Edna's in seventh heaven staying with Colby while the rest of the family is hunting; she's crazy about that little one!  Krin & Scott seem to be quite suited to the lifestyle ("date night"), and I hope they can find a way to live in the refuge and help out the folks in their old age.  Scott was so proud to be able to prove himself to Heimo.  I really appreciated Heimo's little talk about finding the arrowhead, and how people would shape them while hunting for game on a vantage point.

Seeing Bob in decline is absolutely heartbreaking.  Fucking cancer.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, IvySpice said:

I wonder if some Alaskan backwoods wife candidates are beating Charlie's door down. That is one handsome kid.

I thought the same thing! Haha!  He’d be a catch for sure.

• Love 2

For those faithful viewers of this gem of a show the season's episodes has been rightfully honoring Bob Harte .

In one episode at the request of Bob's ex, Heimo going to check on Bob's cabin gathering a few things she wants.

Last week Nancy, Talisha and grandbaby  Carmella came to the cabin and scattered his ashes around his "throne" the mountain ledge he loved that overlooked the river and the land he called his heart...pun intended...

This week Bob was honored by Charlie.

Bob, in his last days called Charlie and told him to trap for fur on the trap lines Bob had made his living  for decades.

Charlie's trap line had been destroyed in the fire.

Charlie flew to where Bob had established his trails and set up a canvas tent as his winter home base to explore if he can get fur on Bob's legacy.

Charlie spoke about the connection his father had with Bob and Heimo and now him.

Charlie shows respect from learning from the last generation of trappers but he has new ideas built on knowledge they passed down to him.

Heimo moose hunts and Edna ice fishes and catch grayling.

Tyler surveys the damage the fire did to his trails with much relief the damage wasn't as bad as he saw from the air.

Ashley and baby Sydney catch a rabbit in a snare.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

S04 E08 Never Gets Easier

Last night's episode was shot in the extraordinary beauty of the Arctic Refuge after a big snow dump.

For long time viewers, you will see so much of Edna in Kirin and through Kirin we can imagine what Edna must have looked and sounded like when she was a young bride coming to start her life with Heimo.

Pretty much confirms what we already knew...that Edna is a badass who breaks the conventions of her gender...she is a huntress and trapper but also sews traditional clothing because it make her happy.

Fun at the Seldens: Sausage Party. Sydney is absolutely thriving.

Fun at the Nelsons: Colby gets a bath.

The outside segments are shot so beautifully that other than the crunch of footsteps in the snow or whine of the snow machine...you can feel the quiet.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2

S04 E09 Biting Back

The end of the trapping season approaching.

Heimo gets a beaver...the tail and feet are delicacies. Edna prepares a seal skin.

Scott traps 16 marten surpassing his goal of 10.

Tyler cuts logs to prepare for building a cache.

The Seldens have come far from the first time we met them opening up a cabin full of mold from flooding when they were living in town.

The new cabin is palatial.

• Love 1

Loved this week's epidodes - focusing on just a couple families, so hoping next week we'll see the others.

Krin's insights as she was remembering growing up - watching her track the wolf kill - taking the time to explain that she was trying to only take branches from the older trees because she didn't want to take away from the beauty of the woods. Scott sure sounds like they plan to be back next year

The Sheldon's new cabin continues to have little things added which should make great improvements to their comfort - the indoor water hand pump - the meat grinder. Never really thought about it, but a hand pump inside the cabin sounds like a no-brainer - so much better than hauling 5 gallon buckets from a hole you have to cut and maintain in the river.... have to wait and see if it freezes in extra cold weather. Glad to hear this season went much better than expected. Anybody notice the little hand cranked washing machine in one scene? Only reason I even know what it is that I used to have one just like it - sort of like this https://laundry-alternative.com/products/open-box-wonderwash?variant=12582102040688 probably makes things much easier washing get stuff for the little one

Heimo - no moose this year, comes up over the rise, sees no game, shrugs, says better luck next time... loved the scene where he talked about how he'd be sitting on a bluff and wish he could be a bird for awhile and fly

Edna - perfect match for Heimo - strong woman who ignored traditional woman role - if she wants to hunt and trap, get out of the way, she's going to hunt and trap... I agree with those that say Krin is a reflection of both Heimo and Edna

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1

Loved the recent episodes.  I could handle the weather and the solitude, but not sure I could handle the diet,  Animal brain, tongue, beaver tail?  Ick!  And not sure if Krin and Scott will be back next season (assuming there is a next season).  She said on Facebook that they live and work in Fairbanks now and only visit their cabin.  Missed Charlie but looks like he's back in the next episode.  I think he splits his time between Fairbanks and his cabin so I guess it makes sense why he's not filmed as much. 

• Love 1
On 1/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, Beeyago said:

Loved the recent episodes.  I could handle the weather and the solitude, but not sure I could handle the diet,  Animal brain, tongue, beaver tail?  Ick!  And not sure if Krin and Scott will be back next season (assuming there is a next season).  She said on Facebook that they live and work in Fairbanks now and only visit their cabin.  Missed Charlie but looks like he's back in the next episode.  I think he splits his time between Fairbanks and his cabin so I guess it makes sense why he's not filmed as much. 

I too wonder how many seasons this show has in it.  I think only Heimo and Edna live there year round?

I wonder how much money is actually made from trapping, since today fur isn't needed to keep warm.

The reason I wonder how many seasons the show actually has is because the lifestyle is only for a very few, one has to be both mentally and physically healthy.  Bob had to leave when he became ill.  If someone gets sick and needs medical care, they probably won't be able to be out there as long.

I liked when Heimo mentioned how much their lifestyle is romanticized, when in reality it's hard work. 

But I love this show, to me it's the best reality show on TV, because it doesn't feel staged. 

• Love 5

Season Finale

Intertwining footage of Bob with his narrative as Charlie looks for Bob’s cabin and finding his legacy trap lines highlights the last episode.

Scott traps a wolf just as he and Kirin pack up for town.

Tyler has a good trapping season.

Heimo and Edna celebrate the end of the season with fireworks and their family.

• Love 2

I wonder if they filmed anything this winter?  The Lewises have been gone for awhile, they don't have Bob anymore and Krin & Scott didn't live there this winter, they lived in Fairbanks.  And Charlie runs a business out of Fairbanks so I'm not sure how much time he spends on his traplines.  Maybe the producers will come up with a different angle?  Hope so:)

Charlie is one heck of a good kid. And what a hard worker. He's a son anyone would be proud of. But, I hate to say it about such a genuine young person but that whiny or nasally or whatever the problem is voice of his would drive me batty in no time.

Watched a TLA Marathon of the entire last season and show’s finale today.

Maybe after a few years hiatus the show will go back into production...would like to visit Heimo, Edna, Ashley, Tyler, Sydney, Charlie, Kirin, Scott and Colby once again....

• Love 2