Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Alaskans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I could seriously watch the "Edna and Heimo" channel 6hrs a day, if only there was one!  This couple is so genuine and sincere, I feel their warmth through the tv. They make me happy. Colby is adorable and seeing Edna love on him is joyful. 

This show's cinematography is gorgeous.  I enjoy this hour of tv so much. Safe travels to Bob!

• Love 1

TLA have a behind the scenes glimpse in one of the OnDemand episodes where you see the dedicated camera crew utilize drones, GoPros, and regular camera hoisting to film the families and capture the beauty of the Refuge.

• Love 1

Fun to show to watch sometimes, but good lord it must be boring out there. I keep feeling like these people are running away from something and headed to Alaska to escape. 

No malls, gyms, resteraunts, bars, clubs, cafes, salons, tv, Internet, movie theatres...ouch 

31 minutes ago, LocimusPrime said:

No malls, gyms, resteraunts, bars, clubs, cafes, salons, tv, Internet, movie theatres...ouch 

A kindle full of books and a big pile of crochet yarn.  HEAVEN!!!

(Actually, I'm a city slicker who loves being close to all the things you mention . . . except on the days when I just want my kindle and my yarn.)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Too much of a wuss.

I would be eaten or get myself maimed or killed very early in my time at the Refuge.

Not to mention, living that lifestyle is WORK. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Too lazy and slothful.

Enjoy watching heartier, passionate people work for their happiness.

Are we talking about the same program?  The Last Alaskans are anything but lazy and slothful.  They have to work for every bite of food.  It's the Alaskan Bush People who are lazy, slothful, and F-A-K-E.

• Love 1

I, me...am too lazy and slothful to even think about even trying to live a single day in their shoes.

Much admiration for the occupants of the Arctic Refuge.

It was a feeble attempt of humor referring to a self evaluation of my comfy, cozy, soft lifestyle.

Agree about the ABP.

Why do they still have a show?

Ratings..bleech...

• Love 3

All that work for little gain. I mean you gotta spend all that time searching for food and cutting fire wood ect, that you never have time to makes monetary gains in life.  Provide a better life for your family instead of sitting in a 300sf cabin contemplating your next meal and how to catch it. 

How about savings for you children's college funds? How about setting aside money for medical issues, retirement funds  

How do they get the proper high school education and socialization. I'm assuming these children are not exposed to advanced AP or honors courses, have access to team sports like football, lacrosse, or polo. Probably no kumon learning centers in the arctic refuge. They have to overcome the disadvantages of living in the woods vs typical children  

This episode the Korths say goodbye to Kirin and Colby.

Heimo gets a report from a bush pilot that his snow machine at the new cabin is on its side so Heimo goes and checks it out.

Bear.

Charlie nets chum salmon for bait for the upcoming trapping season.

His cabin is almost complete.

Incredible he built it himself.

The Seldens, Dustin, Dad and Uncle Bob are working on Tyler's and Ashley's forever cabin.

Progress is slow because Tyler wants it as perfect as possible so it is solid.

For a bigger structure, the Seldens needed the help of his family plus they can tell their children that their Grandfather, Great Uncle, Uncle came to Alaska and helped build their home.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, LocimusPrime said:

Fun to show to watch sometimes, but good lord it must be boring out there. I keep feeling like these people are running away from something and headed to Alaska to escape. 

Boring?  Hardly.  Perhaps people who seek the constant barrage of malls, gyms, restaurants, bars, clubs, cafes, salons, tv, internet, movie theatres, etc. are the ones running away from something ...

On 4/12/2017 at 0:32 PM, LocimusPrime said:

All that work for little gain. I mean you gotta spend all that time searching for food and cutting fire wood ect, that you never have time to makes monetary gains in life.  Provide a better life for your family instead of sitting in a 300sf cabin contemplating your next meal and how to catch it. 

How about savings for you children's college funds? How about setting aside money for medical issues, retirement funds  

Many people slave away their health and happiness working too much for money that doesn't always provide them this "security" (life is uncertain for us all).  A "better life" is in the eye of the beholder.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, LocimusPrime said:

How do they get the proper high school education and socialization. I'm assuming these children are not exposed to advanced AP or honors courses, have access to team sports like football, lacrosse, or polo. Probably no kumon learning centers in the arctic refuge. They have to overcome the disadvantages of living in the woods vs typical children  

Lots of kids grow up with the disadvantages of their life circumstances, and they overcome them.  These kids aren't isolated from "the real world"; they just live in a remote area, mostly for only a part of the year.  I'd imagine kids growing up in some fundamentalist sect have it a LOT tougher, as do kids living in extreme poverty in the urban jungle, or in a gang culture, etc. etc.  Besides, if there's an apocalypse of sorts, these kids would be able to survive, if they could make it to the wilderness, whereas many of us fools who rely on civilization would quickly perish.  :-)

These people have a different set of values, and a different lifestyle.  Doesn't make their way wrong and another way right.  

• Love 3

This week's episode was centered around moose hunting. Not all of the Last Alaskans were successful. Tyler's brother is staying on for a while, which is going to prove very helpful since a Selden baby is on the way. Although it is early in the pregnancy and Ashley is sturdy, I get a little nervous when she's carrying heavy stuff and overexerting herself. Have heard of too many miscarriages lately (friends and family) so it's my knee jerk reaction even though it is an old wives' tale.

Heimo and Edna are a beautiful love story. They value and respect each other so much. It warms my heart. How the two of them hike for miles in rough terrain is remarkable. And Edna's knee problem (she didn't give it a name but it sounded like a torn ACL or MCL) which she said happened three years ago, is not something that will ever go away.....she should wear her uncomfortable knee brace if she wants to keep hunting.

As a parent, it was interesting to hear all the life lessons that Charlie learned in his childhood from his parents. Nice to know that maybe my own sons picked up a thing or two listening to me (I am sure they did but it's always nice to get some validation). What strikes me most about all the Last Alaskans is they are humble. They realize that they are not in control---Mother Nature is---and they embrace that instead of fighting it.

• Love 1

I was watching last night and was hoping they would all get a moose.  But the question that kept burning in my head, is they kept saying that moose hunting season was almost over.   How in the world would anyone know how many moose they kill or when they kill it?   It's not like there are park rangers up there checking things out.  They live literally in the middle of no where.  If I were hungry and needed meat, I would kill whatever I could to survive. 

Otherwise, I love the show and was sorry that Charlie did not get one.  But was happy when Edna got a caribou. 

As good stewards of their environment, killing only 1 moose in the 10 day hunting season is conserving resources for next year.

Hanging their moose meat in the open air to freeze and out of the reach of predators means bush pilots and anyone else flying over their cabin can see  what was recently shot.

Why risk your reputation for another moose when that is against the law, makes you look greedy, subject to fines, taking away your license to hunt next year?

They can supplement their meat with caribou, bunnies, grouse, ptarmagin, squirrels...or as Charlie remembers, canned chicken when his family didn't get a moose one winter.

Hope Edna shooting the caribou so close to the cabin doesn't bring unwanted bears sniffing around the Korths and the crew living in that yellow tent.

Reading the 2 books about the Korths, it is not surprising that Heimo works out to keep fit.

He  does strength training, runs to keep himself in shape, conditions himself to do the heavy lifting and manual labor needed to live their lifestyle.

That was one impressive moose, all three of the Seldens looked dwarfed next to that bull moose.

Sorry to see Dad Selden and Uncle Bob go back home but glad Dustin is sticking around to help secure food for the winter and have a glimpse of the life Tyler and Ashley have created in the Refuge.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MissT said:

I was watching last night and was hoping they would all get a moose.  But the question that kept burning in my head, is they kept saying that moose hunting season was almost over.   How in the world would anyone know how many moose they kill or when they kill it?   It's not like there are park rangers up there checking things out.  They live literally in the middle of no where.  If I were hungry and needed meat, I would kill whatever I could to survive. 

Otherwise, I love the show and was sorry that Charlie did not get one.  But was happy when Edna got a caribou. 

These are people of integrity.  Nothing like the losers on Alaskan Bush People who barely know which end of a rifle to point while they're pretending to hunt.

• Love 1

Where are all Tyler and Ashley's dogs??? I miss them!!!

22 hours ago, MissT said:

And you would most likely not make it living the life they lead. They have respect for nature and take only what they need. Most city people couldn't understand that... so I can certainly understand your question.

1 hour ago, b1sojf91 said:

And you would most likely not make it living the life they lead. They have respect for nature and take only what they need. Most city people couldn't understand that... so I can certainly understand your question.

Absolutely. Like I said upthread, the life they've chosen is filled with WORK. Not only that, but their life style is dependant on harvesting animals, both for food and fur. And yes, "harvesting animals" means killing, skinning and butchering the animals - which causes the animals to suffer. Not for me - I'll keep buying my food at stores. That doesn't mean I look down on these folks for their chosen life style - in fact I agree with the post that the domestic meat animals may well suffer more than the animals they kill. Heck, unless we're talking livestock as pets, they lead pretty miserable lives by human standards.

Another thought about the difference in life style - when we saw Heimo going after fire wood Jack London's short story, "To Build A Fire" came to mind. Yes, as a kid I read his books. https://americanliterature.com/author/jack-london/short-story/to-build-a-fire not quite as dangerous with film crews following them around, but another real cost they have to face is the dangers of being isolated and often out allow where even a slip and sprained ankle can turn life threatening.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 3

Waning days of the moose season with Tyler the only one to kill a moose and Charlie and Heimo worried they will not have moose for the winter.

Charlie hunts and worries and hikes up until he finally sees a bull far away.

He hurries, taking the boat down river and cuts the bull off at a pass with a successful shot.

Heimo has only not gotten a moose only once in the 42 years, but this is another successful year, he shoots a bull late in the afternoon.

He lits a bonfire  hoping the smoke keep the grizzly bears away from the cut and quartered  moose because he has to leave it overnight.

3 families, 3 moose.

How in the world would anyone know how many moose they kill or when they kill it?   It's not like there are park rangers up there checking things out.  They live literally in the middle of no where.  If I were hungry and needed meat, I would kill whatever I could to survive.

Alaska State Troopers and Wildlife Management are all over the place - they can show up at any time.  Those who live on the refuge would not want to jeopardize their cabin permit by breaking the law.  Resources are limited due to where they are - game is harder to get so they are wise to be very careful to maintain the population. 

Most of those who live in the Refuge have multiple cabins - justified by the traplines they hold.  I know the Korths move from cabin to cabin so they don't deplete the supply of animals they trap.  They move so they can give the area a chance to rebound.  I believe the Korths have at least three cabins in the Refuge (this is from the book The Final Frontiersman - highly recommend)

I greatly admire those who can live this lifestyle.  I agree that they do not partake in the sneering we see in some of the other Alaska shows about people who live the city life.  They may not want to live that sort of life, but those on this show know darned tootin' well that not everybody can live like this and not everybody should.  (I know I couldn't - I'd never survive being so nearsighted and profoundly hard of hearing!)  I am grateful that the families on the Last Alaskans have allowed us a glimpse into their lives and when the show does end, I will miss them.

Edited by Bajovane
edited to correct the name of the book
  • Love 1

I am very curious about Ashley's birth plans. Will she try to deliver with no professional help in their cabin, or will she fly to Fairbanks to deliver in a hospital?  The Seldens strike me as very independent people, so I won't be surprised if they decide to do the birth by themselves.

Thinking it is safer to bring the nurse or doctor to their cabin to aid in the birth than to transport her earlier and wait out the birth in town.

Tyler still has to care for the dogs and traplines so thinking they will stay out in the Refuge.

Guess it depends how her pregnancy progresses and if it looks like a normal, uncomplicated birth she will stay put.

Not enough snow is a big problem when you need the snow to cushion the trails to use snow machines and dog sleds to work your trap line.

TLA are forecasting poor trapping seasons because waiting for the deep snows is costing them precious time.

Charlie with his plane is the only one who can work his trap lines, flying to his sets.

Ashley is half way through her pregnancy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Mazel Tov to baby Sydney and her parents.

The newest legacy for the Arctic Refuge.

Holy moose hunt...60 hour labor...Poor Tyler, all that talking is so out of his character...

Edited by humbleopinion
more stuff

Introduction to a brother and sister...Daniel and Susan Hayden who grew up on the Refuge and returned to the family cabin to bring their deceased father's ashes home to the homestead.

Their father's story is not unlike Heimo and Bob Harte's... young men who wanted adventure and freedom of the wilds of Alaska.

Charlie's sister, Joanna came to visit so he could show her his cabin.

They trapped together and their close sibling relationship came through the screen.

Charlie credits Bob Harte with teaching his dad how to do sets and then his dad teaching him, shows respect of lineage.

Edna shoots 2 wolves in the Korth's yard.

Edna's a badass...keeping her cool when her rifle jams and pulling out her handgun to kill the growling animal in the dark.

She didn't know she had shot 2 wolves until she got closer.

Heimo opines that one wolf had gotten caught in her trap and the other came along to cannibalize the trapped one.

Nature is brutal.

• Love 1

It is heartwarming to see brothers and sisters having such a close relationship and understanding of each other.

Heimo and Edna are my "Love Story".  Watching them together makes my heart swell, and leaves me feeling a wee bit wistful - and maybe even sometimes wishing I'd found my Heimo many years ago.  :~)

Wow, Heimo is in great shape - I loved the opening, with his morning workout : running for half an hour, then walking for 5 minutes - with a bear gun, of course!

No Bob Harte.  :-(  But at least he got a nice shout-out.

This is my favorite Alaskan show, hands down.

The gentle finale was satisfying with all indications that there will be a next season...yay

Edna celebrates her 63rd birthday with a Yukon birthday cake and the best gift ever.

Ashley and Tyler fly in a midwife from Fairbanks and hear the baby's heartbeat.

Daniel and Susan say the final goodbye to their dad.

Charlie's sister, Joanna ends her week visit at the cabin.

Until next time...

• Love 1

I really like this show and the families.  I look forward to each season.  I do wonder about Heimo and Edna's daughter who is planning on moving there with her husband and baby.  Seems like a huge change for the husband but I guess he will have wonderful teachers if he is truly interested in this lifestyle.

• Love 1

Kirin's sister, Rhonda has told the family that she will not be living in the Refuge so Kirin is the last chance for continuing the legacy.

Thinking she wants her husband to come and live for a period of time to see what life cold be like if they decide to homestead there with Colby.

Next season will be awesome with all the new people including Tyler and Ashley's baby, Sydney.

• Love 2

Just reading on FB that Bob has died.  Sorry to bring that heartbreaking news.  "We have some sad news to report as Bob Harte, beloved stars of The Last Alaskans on Discovery, has died." 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

So here I sit with tears in my eyes because someone I never met has passed away

Same here! What heartbreaking news :(  Bob was so heartfelt & soulful ... I really enjoyed listening to him speak of how much he loved his home on the refuge, Talicia, Ruger & Nancy.  Seems to me he passed feeling fulfilled with no regrets. 

Godspeed Bob; I Bet your spirit is still on the refuge, since that is your heaven 

• Love 5