Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Alaskans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

How Ironic.  These 2 live in one of the coldest places on earth, yet they are utterly heart warming.   LOVE THEM.

I want to see their daughters visit them.   

I was heartbroken to learn about the oldest daughters passing.  So tragic.  Yet they continue to live and love.   Inspiring !

• Love 1

I so loved the Christmas special last week. Edna was sweet about hanging all her beautiful memories. The cabin looked so happy.

I loved it too.  I thought Edna was off the charts charming when she was decorating.  My Grinch heart grew in size, when she was describing how the angel ornaments represented the people she loved.  

• Love 1

Anyone catch the season premiere?

I immediately got very teary eyed when Heimo mentioned his granddaughters name was Colleen. I immediately knew their daughter Ronda must have named her after her sister that passed away. The love they all share is wonderful to watch. LOVED Heimo with the bouquet of wildflowers for Edna. Adorable! And Edna discussing "Auntie Colleen" with granddaughter Colleen had me in tears ( again ) how bittersweet

Emma Lewis falling in the river was scary - Thank god for the film crew.

Tyler & Ashley's dogs are awesome

Can't wait till next week to find out what's up with Bob. Looks like we get to meet his daughter. And the ex.

• Love 3

First let me say, that I love this show and I'm glad it's back on.

Your question regarding their eyes was asked last season and this is the what I found on the blog.  Apparently, it's pretty rare.

The girls and mom have a genetic condition called Blepharophimosis syndrome or Blepharophimosis ptosis epicanthus- inversus

Blepharophimosis, ptosis, and epicanthus inversus syndrome (BPES) is a condition that mainly affects development of the eyelids. People with this condition have a narrowing of the eye opening (blepharophimosis), droopy eyelids (ptosis), and an upward fold of the skin of the lower eyelid near the inner corner of the eye (epicanthus inversus). In addition, there is an increased distance between the inner corners of the eyes (telecanthus). Because of these eyelid abnormalities, the eyelids cannot open fully, and vision may be limited.

Other structures in the eyes and face may be mildly affected by BPES. Affected individuals are at an increased risk of developing vision problems such as nearsightedness (myopia) or farsightedness (hyperopia) beginning in childhood. They may also have eyes that do not point in the same direction (strabismus) or "lazy eye" (amblyopia) affecting one or both eyes. People with BPES may also have distinctive facial features including a broad nasal bridge, low-set ears, or a shortened distance between the nose and upper lip (a short philtrum).

There are two types of BPES, which are distinguished by their signs and symptoms. Both types I and II include the eyelid malformations and other facial features. Type I is also associated with an early loss of ovarian function (primary ovarian insufficiency) in women, which causes their menstrual periods to become less frequent and eventually stop before age 40. Primary ovarian insufficiency can lead to difficulty conceiving a child (subfertility) or a complete inability to conceive (infertility).

• Love 1

Thanks for this, MissT. It seemed so much worse since last season, or maybe there are more close-ups of the Lewis daughters. Looks like I missed the first episode; can l catch it On Demand?

The thing I really enjoy about this show is that there seems to be less fakery. I am also finding it very bittersweet, knowing that this is all going to come to an end upon the passing of the youngest child.

Bob broke my heart. I am a three time cancer survivor and I know just how difficult it can be to always have that threat lurking over you. And I live only an hour away from a couple of the best hospitals in the country! Treatment leaves you fatigued and the anxiety seeps your emotional energy. The fact that he has the strength to carry on is a real testament to his love of the wilderness. I'm glad that he'll have some time with his daughter and his dog. Grab the gusto, Bob.

• Love 5

Bob broke my heart. I am a three time cancer survivor and I know just how difficult it can be to always have that threat lurking over you. And I live only an hour away from a couple of the best hospitals in the country! Treatment leaves you fatigued and the anxiety seeps your emotional energy. The fact that he has the strength to carry on is a real testament to his love of the wilderness. I'm glad that he'll have some time with his daughter and his dog. Grab the gusto, Bob.

Oh no.  I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet, but it sounds like Bob was diagnosed with cancer.  I'm saddened to hear that, I like Bob a lot.  He's such an interesting person with a unique perspective.   I have a feeling I'll need the tissues to watch this one.     This show always makes me all teary and emotional.

Kudos to you AuntieAnxiety for being a 3 time survivor !!! You go, girl !!!!

• Love 3

I really like Rhonda.... What a class act. I enjoyed listening to her express her hopes for her daughter. And the respect for her parents was palpable.

I hope Bob enjoys the time at the cabin with his daughter ( Taliesha?) - she seems like a tough resilient soul just like her Dad, recovering from that horrific accident. Bob's ex explaining their family dynamic was interesting. She really loves him. Sounds like the Alaskan refuge came between them :(though. I wonder if that was her partner with her seeing them off?

Ruger has gotten so big ! Taleisha seemed enamoured with Ruger- cute. Hope Bobs health holds out.

First Emma falls in the river - then Sarah falls thru the roof!!! Eek!!! Thank goodness they're young &resilient

• Love 3

Just got a chance to watch the episode.  Bob didn't say he had cancer, just tumors that needed shots from time to time.  They could be benign tumors that continue to grow if not treated.  His wife seems like a very intelligent woman, but couldn't live in such isolation. I doubt if many women could.  That woolly hair woman may have been a family friend or relative.

I thought the Lewis daughters weren't coming back because they had things to do (school, careers), but maybe the TV producers enticed them back for the new season.  I love all these families, and I hope the show continues for a long time.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch this last night?  It was really good.  Heimo and Edna have a wonderful family.  I was getting teary when Edna started crying.    Bob is great, but it looks like there is some sort of crisis next week. 

• Love 3

I adore this show.

The thing I really enjoy about this show is that there seems to be less fakery.

Agreed. Very rare in reality TV these days - these folks try to just go about their business even though they are surrounded by production crews. No pandering.

I want to spend a week with Edna, drinking cocoa and learning how to survive in the wilderness.

• Love 4

Hemo and Edna are the dearest people.  Do they live in their cabins year-round?  The other families spend the summer in Fairbanks (not sure about Bob) because they need to work a few months so they can afford to live off the grid in the winter months.   I think the bugs are a big problem in the wilderness in the summer too.

• Love 3

Last night's episode made me tear up again and again.  I'm at the same stage of life as Heimo and Edna and Bob, thinking about my grown children, what my legacy to them will be, how decisions I made in the past have changed the trajectory of my life....all those existential thoughts that can sometimes haunt you if you let them linger too long.  

This season seems to be all about family.  And dogs :-)

• Love 3

Oh geez.  This latest ep made me all teary eyed again.  Especially when Edna started to cry :(

I was so excited when the plane landed with the other 2 daughters ! Was so nice to see such a happy warm family :) 

Bob & his daughter having their riverside lunch was beautiful.  Bob was in heaven .... He had His daughter, dog & his beloved cabin.  

That moose Tyler shot was huge!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

He killed that poor majestic moose.  :- (

Yep, he did indeed.   I felt bad too.   At least the Selden's seemed respectful & grateful in regards to the whole chain of life thing.    Ashley did say she felt sensitive towards the moose, and I appreciated that.   If you live like that off the grid, the whole having meat thing is absolutely critical..... like Edna was explaining in her very touching talking head.  I don't think any of the inhabitants take hunting lightly.  

The lifestyles shown strike me as much healthier than the "normal" way of American life.  Physically and mentally.   I was thinking to myself as I was watching this episode, that all the Arctic Refuge inhabitants seem very together, introspective with healthy outlooks towards what matters most.    I just wonder if modern society's way of life has deteriorated human's mental health in general.  

That's why I love this show.  It makes me think deep.  LOL

• Love 2
On 4/28/2016 at 8:25 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Last night's episode made me tear up again and again.  I'm at the same stage of life as Heimo and Edna and Bob, thinking about my grown children, what my legacy to them will be, how decisions I made in the past have changed the trajectory of my life....all those existential thoughts that can sometimes haunt you if you let them linger too long.  

This season seems to be all about family.  And dogs :-)

I'm in that same stage of life, but without the children or family to appreciate my "legacy" of conservation and providing for the critters that inhabit my hovel and my backyard haven.  Age, disability and failing health have become a great concern to me, and has made me ponder my reclusive life choices during the dark hours ...

I'm reminded of my youth, when my parents pissed away a wonderful farm and the chance to homestead a virgin section of land in B.C. with a community of competent friends who could have provided stability and purpose in my life when it was most needed, and when I was still young and strong enough to contribute.

This show makes me long for those earlier simpler times.  And makes me sad for what will be lost once their children are gone.

• Love 3

Great couple of episodes to start the season. Love seeing all the family togetherness.

I agree that I'd love to visit for a week or two, but I certainly couldn't do the whole winter. It's the outdoor toilet aspect that kills me when it's 60 below/pouring rain/whatever.

The girls and mom have a genetic condition called Blepharophimosis syndrome or Blepharophimosis ptosis epicanthus- inversus

Thank you for explaining this! Honestly, wondering what the heck was up with their eyes was so distracting last season, I couldn't pay much attention to their story line. All of them seem to have normal vision; you wouldn't get far trapping/hunting without it.

I think the Seldens (and all these folks) respect the hell out of the animals they kill. I have serious moral questions about trapping the fur animals (which suffer pain and fear from the trap and then are basically just decoration or fashion). But killing an animal instantly and painlessly to feed your family troubles me very little. Beats the heck out of factory farming meat. Heimo had a great speech about his disgust with trophy hunters coming up to the reserve to collect antlers and leave behind beer cans. Disgusting.

• Love 3

My withered cold heart is aching and breaking in two for Lonely Bob, who loves his daughter so fucking much he gives her his only companion, Ruger.  I just want to hug him and hold his hand - and give him a puppy.  I am ever so glad Nancy visited him, even though I fear it bodes the worst for Bob.

10 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

Great couple of episodes to start the season. Love seeing all the family togetherness.

I agree that I'd love to visit for a week or two, but I certainly couldn't do the whole winter. It's the outdoor toilet aspect that kills me when it's 60 below/pouring rain/whatever.

Thank you for explaining this! Honestly, wondering what the heck was up with their eyes was so distracting last season, I couldn't pay much attention to their story line. All of them seem to have normal vision; you wouldn't get far trapping/hunting without it.

I think the Seldens (and all these folks) respect the hell out of the animals they kill. I have serious moral questions about trapping the fur animals (which suffer pain and fear from the trap and then are basically just decoration or fashion). But killing an animal instantly and painlessly to feed your family troubles me very little. Beats the heck out of factory farming meat. Heimo had a great speech about his disgust with trophy hunters coming up to the reserve to collect antlers and leave behind beer cans. Disgusting.

Excellent post, IvySpice - I totally agree.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

I agree that I'd love to visit for a week or two, but I certainly couldn't do the whole winter.

Heimo had a great speech about his disgust with trophy hunters coming up to the reserve to collect antlers and leave behind beer cans. Disgusting.

I would be lucky to last 1 night, I'm such a sissy.   Even then, Edna would probably have to hold my hand and talk to me in her soothing way. LOL

I almost forgot about Heimo's disgust with the trophy hunters, it was very well said and respectable on his part.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 3
(edited)

Gah!!!!!!! I just finished watching the latest episode "Alone."   I am a blubbering mess over Bob, Nancy, Taliesha  & Ruger !  I saw in a previous post that Walnutqueen had said Bob gave Ruger to Talisha but I didn't realize how that all went down.  I'm so heartbroken over the whole situation :(    I understand what Nancy said in her TH that the whole Alaskan bush lifestyle is "who Bob is" but daaaamn......... if he is dying (I *think* he is, isn't he ?  I mean it sure sounds/seems like it ) I don't understand why he wouldn't say good-bye to the cabin and live out his days with the ones he loves and his beloved dog ?   So he is saying the lifestyle he has led as he said for 40 years trumps the "love of his life," his daughter and dog ?   I REEEEALLY hope next episode Nancy talks him into leaving the cabin & being closer to them.    I dunno.   Gah.  I'm still grabbing tissues.    C'mon Bob, we're rooting for ya ! 

Meanwhile, 50 miles north of Bob (if I'm remembering correctly) the Korths are an incredible family.. .    Heimo is so cute how he's always super affectionate with Edna.   I adore those 2.   : )   

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

I'm in that same stage of life, but without the children or family to appreciate my "legacy" of conservation and providing for the critters that inhabit my hovel and my backyard haven.  Age, disability and failing health have become a great concern to me, and has made me ponder my reclusive life choices during the dark hours ...

I'm reminded of my youth, when my parents pissed away a wonderful farm and the chance to homestead a virgin section of land in B.C. with a community of competent friends who could have provided stability and purpose in my life when it was most needed, and when I was still young and strong enough to contribute.

This show makes me long for those earlier simpler times.  And makes me sad for what will be lost once their children are gone.

Aww hugs to you, WQ !   See?   This show makes you think deep too.  Your backyard and appreciative (surely they are!)  critters sound amazing : )

Edited by jnymph
Your, not you're
  • Love 1
(edited)

This was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a very long time. It was elegiac. Plus, I learned stuff.

It's funny how those of us who are, ahem, older project our own situations onto these families. I think a lot about life choices these days - where I live, how I make a living, working hard to be near family, wishing I had a little plot of land with a view, instead of being surrounded on all sides by people and traffic. Where I come from in the rural deep South, there have never been jobs. Plenty of land, but no jobs.

Given their ages, I've wondered about these families' plans for the future, and we listened to them ponder the same thing. Do they stubbornly remain in the bush until the end, or do they give up their beloved homes and move to be near family and support in the hated cities? I'm glad they all have someone. I do feel that Bob was beginning to say goodbye. Maybe Nancy is there to convince him to move back where she and Talisha (and Ruger!) can care for him. Perhaps there were some very bitter times, but I like that they are loving and civil despite not being a "traditional" family.

The Korth daughters are the Kardashian antivenom. Smart, beautiful, accomplished, grounded in reality and appreciative of what they've got. I love seeing how they all go about their daily lives in the bush.

I'm a decades-long vegetarian. I became one after visiting a slaughterhouse and then a small-town meat processing plant in my youth (part of a work project). I've worked my way around to accepting the idea of very skilled hunters ending an animal's life, instantly and humanely. The other Alaska series show us scenes of animals caught in snares and steel traps, or struggling to run after being shot, and it makes me furious, especially when it's for fur. I've no doubt these things also happen on this series -- I think they all fur trap -- but I appreciate the fact that these hunters are aware of the ethics of trying to minimize an animal's suffering.

The photography is so stunning. I used to shoot video and I know how hard the crews are working. I'm sure this is an experience of a lifetime. I keep hoping they are sneaking some food to Bob, who clearly doesn't get enough to eat because he's unable to hunt the way he needs to.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Diane M said:

Sad episode last night for Bob Harte.  He seemed upbeat at the end, hoping to travel and see America.  But will his healthy allow that?

Glad first the daughter and dog, and then ex-wife Nancy made the trip. We didn't see Nancy trying to convince him to come to town - which is good because that may have just caused him to dig in his heels and stay. Just the family presence showing love, and Nancy bringing a veritable feast to show him what he could get in town, tipped the balance and brought him to Fairbanks. It would be great if he is shown gaining weight, wearing sandals and shorts in Key West, but I fear he's right when he says he's fading.

• Love 2

If you go back and watch last season's episodes you can see how Bob has just wasted away in body and vitality.

Flying in his plane to his multiple trapping sites.

Hunting caribou.

I held my breath the last seconds of the episode when they showed the plane carrying him and Nancy flying away...thinking the producers would flash a screen shot of his birth date and date of his demise.

A big whew when they didn't.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

If you go back and watch last season's episodes you can see how Bob has just wasted away in body and vitality.

Flying in his plane to his multiple trapping sites.

Hunting caribou.

I held my breath the last seconds of the episode when they showed the plane carrying him and Nancy flying away...thinking the producers would flash a screen shot of his birth date and date of his demise.

A big whew when they didn't.

This is my first season watching. I heard him say he had gone from 170 to 120 when he said he couldn't get warm, and noticed he was wrapped in a sleeping bag (?) while waiting for the bank for the plane.

• Love 1

Aw Bob makes me cry every damn time!!!  Loved his attitude when leaving the cabin, he knew he had his wonderful life there, but understood it was time to transition.  ( methinks Nancy worked her magic in the convincing department) I sure as hell hope he can get healthy enough to do some traveling as said he'd like to do but as others have said... He sure has deteriorated :(   I Loved the shot of him & Nancy walking away from the cabin, & Nancy turned to take one last look. it was such a poetic moment.  I think Bobs talking of traveling was a "brave face" of sorts to find strength to leave the cabin. AND THAT IS OK, I'm glad he did it.

Loved Heimo's speech about how much he loved life ...... Very, very uplifting !  Seeing the Korths love as a family unit made me all mushy too. hee.  The Korth girls are so bad ass - love them

and I love this:

On May 5, 2016 at 5:50 AM, pasdetrois said:

The Korth daughters are the Kardashian antivenom

No check in with the Lewis family. Hmm.  

• Love 4

Prayers to Bob.  This last epi had me crying so much. My dad went thru the same as Bob.  My dad didn't talk much about what he was feeling and Bob's words resonated so deeply. Really hurt my heart. Hope he is better. So glad his ex knows him that well to get him back home like she did. I just enjoy this show so much these people seem like the real deals. I love hearing their stories, seeing their passion and skills. Great show. 

• Love 3

I just can't even with Bob. Every time they show one of his scenes I start crying. He is so sincere and appreciative of everything. The steak & Foster's can. His eyes are so sad. And he is so skinny. Gah! I will be a blubbering mess if he dies on a season. 

This is by far my favorite Alaska show. I hate the Browns (Mr. Keekski watches all the Alaskan shows). 

• Love 3

I thought the Hartes deserved their own thread.  We are doing a lot of speculation on Bob's health in the episode thread.

I took the thread title from Talicia's proclamation when her, Bob & Ruger were having their lovely meal by the river. :)  And then she called Bob " Chef- Bob-Ar-Dee" LOL So cute.

• Love 3

Makes me sad that Bob may never come back to his beloved cabin and way of life in the reserve.

Talicia's inheritance will be the family's cabin but she won't be able to live there alone without help.

Poignant story.

• Love 3

Yep, Bob really had me tearing up (okay, sobbing) and I hope he can regain some weight and get his health under control. Sounds like he might be able to manage his cancer with the proper medical attention and rest. As a cancer survivor, I've got to say that the fatigue caused by the chemotherapy is unlike any tiredness you've ever experienced.  I remember changing the sheets on my bed and having to rest on the bed after I stripped it, then after I put the fitted sheet on, etc.. Took forever to do what used to be a simple task. I hope Bob can have a few more adventures; he is such a sweet, kind soul.

Heimo's and Edna's daughters are warriors. What a beautiful family.

I love this show and watch in wonderment how they all can deal with the elements and adversities. I would last about five minutes.

• Love 5

In this episode, Heimo and Edna are settling into their new cabin.

Heimo is moose hunting, Edna sets snare traps to catch bunnies for meat.

The Seldons are making the 80 mile loop of their trap line.

They get a lynx. Dogs especially like lynx meat.

The Lewis family are in the cabin they had to travel to by boat, rebuild and have added a  new "wing" for the girls.

Guess the Lewis girls are going to be with the family this season instead of leaving the nest as was implicated last season.

(edited)

Since only six specific families may occupy these cabins/homesites, and only down one generation, I wonder if the Seldens and the young pilot are the last generation of some families we haven't seen. Are the Seldens the last allowed generation, or will their future children be the last?

I think there's a similar arrangement on federal land in the Shenandoah Mountains in VA, and perhaps in NM near White Sands.

For all of the families, I guess the TV paycheck is a tremendous boost. Maybe the Lewis girls agreed to spend the winter in the second cabin in exchange for a family paycheck, because I'm pretty sure at least two of them were college students. The Lewises are such a quiet family. It was good to see Daddy Lewis crack a big smile in this latest episode.

I ponder the practical things. Since electricity is nonexistent, how is Edna powering her cheery Christmas lights? Batteries, I guess. Do they all keep protein powder around in case they run out of meat? What about antibiotics?

The Washington Post travel section had a story about riding the Dalton Highway, which ends at Deadhorse. The article mentioned some of the settlements we see on these Alaska shows.

The Seldens' big ol' fluffy "puppies" are adorable, and all their dogs are magnificent.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Oh my. Crying over Bob giving his dog to his daughter. That was the most amazing act of love. He'll take the loneliness so that neither of the kids he loves will be lonely. I couldn't believe it when he said he was only 64. He looks at least 10 years older this season.

Heimo is the uber-hunter, letting the cow moose go. That's how it's done.

Heimo & Edna's daughter Krin is SO pretty. Wow. She and her sister were major badasses on the trail, too.

I'm all about the Seldens' dogsledding. Way to keep the old school ways alive. It makes so much more sense than shlepping gasoline and snowmachine parts into the ANWR.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

Oh my. Crying over Bob giving his dog to his daughter. That was the most amazing act of love. He'll take the loneliness so that neither of the kids he loves will be lonely. I couldn't believe it when he said he was only 64. He looks at least 10 years older this season.

Heimo is the uber-hunter, letting the cow moose go. That's how it's done.

Heimo & Edna's daughter Krin is SO pretty. Wow. She and her sister were major badasses on the trail, too.

I'm all about the Seldens' dogsledding. Way to keep the old school ways alive. It makes so much more sense than shlepping gasoline and snowmachine parts into the ANWR.

Gah.  Bob giving Ruger to Talecia was so beautiful, yet haunting at the same time.  I'm still sort of transfixed by that whole ordeal.  Bittersweet would be the appropriate word !    

I agree, Krin is gorgeous.   Her and both her sisters are indeed kick ass/bad ass Alaskan warriors to the nth degree.  

I haven't watched the latest episode yet.  So we have a new young pilot huh?     

• Love 3

The whole family misses the lost child so much. You know nobody is wearing infant life vests out in the wilderness, especially 25 years ago. I'm sure that adds another layer to Heimo and Edna's pain. When Granddaughter Colleen was asking about Auntie Colleen, you could just see Edna struggling to hold it together.

• Love 3

Met Charlie Jagow, a 20 year old who grew up in the refuge and is going to stake his claim carrying on for the next generation.

Charlie's dad was taught how to make sets by Bob Harte and Charlie's dad taught him, full circle.

Charlie is a pilot flying his yellow plane nicknamed "Tweety" by his family.

Bob was a pilot, full circle.

Charlie will be a great addition to this fine show.

At the top of the episode, each of the families say something nice about Charlie-his abilities to succeed and his character.

Spoiler alert!

Heimo got a moose for he and Edna.

• Love 4

I love how production used the other families' comments to introduce us to Charlie. He seems like such a grounded young man, and the visuals of him flying over those vast spaces were stunning. Hope to see more of him.

Still miss Bob and Ruger.

Heimo and Edna were like kids in a candy store with the fresh moose meat.

I also loved the extended footage of the Seldens' dogs. Instead of the usual tropes that leave the impression that sled dogs just magically work the sleds from day one, the Seldens explained how they accustom a young dog to it and patiently train the dog. Tyler said something like "you have to help the dog like it." I loved seeing Gwensie allowed into the cabin.

• Love 2