Type keyword(s) to search

Married By Mom And Dad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Mitch's father has been wildly inappropriate with the sex talk from jump. He kind of freaks me out a little bit.

I felt bad for Marivic. I hope she finds herself a good man, the old fashioned way. Who wouldn't freak out in the midst of this clusterfuck? Ye gods. What a horror show.

• Love 2

Yes! Mitch's Dad and April need to back off the sex talk. It's just so not right that April thinks she has a say so in the matter. Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked to learn she was a graduate of Hogwarts school of witchcraft. I can see her being into some freaky shit!

Christina's step Mom butts in all the time and sounds like Thelma Harper on "Mama's Family" (without a bra of course!)

Earth to April:  Stop bringing up how important good sex is.  WE GET IT, OKAY- It's obvious Charlie (dad) did not get his groove on the way he wanted with Eileen (mom).  Then he found you & your Magical Vag and now you two spend all your time in the various Kamasutra positions.  Bringing it up all the time is your way of rubbing it in Eileen's face and it's not nice.  Plus it's grossing us out....  Just. Stop.

• Love 10

Agreed! It was so cringe-tastic and awkward I could barely watch. And dear god, if I heard Christina say "fairy tale" one more time, I would have stabbed someone. Honey, a plastic chandelier hanging from a tree is last year's pinterest trend, not a goddamn fairy tale.

I don't get it, though--in their shoes I'd be chattering up a storm, trying to learn about my new mate and share what I was all about. None of these twits can even muster up some cocktail party icebreakers? "um, I like wine" "i like wine too" "I like to drink wine" "yes, wine is nice". Gah!

Still, how could they do that on camera? It's not normal. So no wonder they are awkward. Terrible premise for a show in retrospect.

Marivic and family - they are a solid, loving family, but Marivic has a real attitude problem. However, when she met that one plumber dude or whatever he was, I think she was feeling the pressure from dad and so she went into this meeting with the dude already hating him and I think the guy sensed that so he went down in flames. I don't think doing this show did her any favours at all.

• Love 2

Marivic is 34 and living at home with her parents.  We see her sitting in her bedroom in last night's episode and it's messy.  Dirty towel, clothes and crap just strewn about.  Yet, she says she's ready for marriage.  Spoiled princess warning! 

• Love 2

Marivic is 34 and living at home with her parents.  We see her sitting in her bedroom in last night's episode and it's messy.  Dirty towel, clothes and crap just strewn about.  Yet, she says she's ready for marriage.  Spoiled princess warning! 

Honestly, I thought her room looked more childish than my 14 yr old's room.

• Love 1

I was thinking abut that. If Marivic lives at home she's never had a utility bill in her name. Never had to pay rent. Never signed a lease. Never gone through a move. Never dealt with repair people. On and on. There is something to be said for having a life of your own and learning to be an adult before you join that life with someone else. 

• Love 3

I agree entirely.  She had stated she lives at home, not because she needs to but because she has no reason not to... and all I could think was there are sooo many reasons to live independently that have nothing to do with financially being able to afford it.  Living on your own makes you look at everything differently- you don't ever really feel like an adult until you have lived on your own and deal with all the stuff that comes with it.  And that changes what you expect from others and how they see you, too. 

If she doesn't clean up her room knowing it will be filmed for national television, then what does that say about her and how she projects her outward appearance?  To me it says, "gross, I wouldn't want to be around this person."  Sorry, I don't mean to be a snob, but geez...

• Love 2

There's also the fact that someone looking for a life partner is going to discount anyone still living at home at the age of 34.  First, by this age, most people (unless they have religious objections), will eventually want the 'dates' to last overnight , or talk about moving in together.   If you haven't matured enough to live on your own, I'm not going to consider you marriage material.   If all your money is for you to spend on whatever you want, how can you understand rent, utilities, home maintenance expense and time, budgeting, etc.  If you plan an evening in with your significant other, you don't want to be tripping over parents.  

• Love 2

What's the time frame for applying for a license to getting married?  In one episode, we see John's parents tell the 'lucky' girl that she's getting married that weekend.  Now, maybe that was on a Monday... but I'd think there'd be paperwork, do they do blood tests still, and maybe even a waiting period.

Married in Washington state almost 22 years ago. We had a 3 day waiting period from license issue to license validity. We got our license on Valentine's Day because we thought it would be dated that way, but it was dated for Feb. 17th.  :-P No blood tests.

• Love 1

I have watched too many reality shows and it has made me suspicious. After learning that some of the brides have already bought "the dress" and that some house hunters have already bought and live in one of the houses they supposedly have to choose from, and let's not even go to the Amish folks.  I am assuming that one of our couples is already married with kids, one is "acting" to plump up a resume. ("Well I did Streetcar and I played a bride to be on a reality show. My groom was already married to someone else, but it's just a show after all"). After having rambled all that, I want to say that Christina's new husband seems charming to me. He looks like her Dad which is a subconscious plus for her. Mostly I like his easy sense of humor. Make me laugh and you have me forever. At least for a week. I talked to Emily on facebook and am looking forward to getting the "real-ish" story after the show ends. I enjoy all of the parents and feel bad that Mitch's are actually getting death threats. Seriously? Who would do that?

• Love 2

I record the show so I can fast forward through the commercials & recaps because boy, do they drag it out!

I'm in agreement with a lot of the comments here about the cast. Mitch's dad and future step-mom are creepy & arrogant. I like his real mom and think she's showing class & restraint around her ex. I got the impression that the dad & April met at their high school reunion while he was still married to the real mom. Real jerk. My gaydar didn't ping with Mitch, except now that you bring it up, I can see it. I just thought he seemed gentle and mellow. I liked the blond who was allergic to wine for him. Emily seemed ok too, but I didn't expect all the secretiveness. No one, not even a good friend, was there for her? She doesn't seem trans to me, because I know women who have been raised on farms who have the same tom-boyishness. The wedding night was embarrassingly awkward. We really didn't need to go into the apartment with them, and they couldn't have gotten a hotel room?

Christina's parents seemed desperate to find anyone. Granted, we didn't see all the tapes they had to pick from, but given they chose gay Kevin as their first pick, I wouldn't trust them to do it again! Tom isn't whom I would have chosen for her, but he seems to have a great sense of humor, which is a must for me. I hope Christina & he are happy, because she seems kind of sweet and dumb.

John. Uhg. His parents are cute, but I wonder how well they know him. Remember when they first arrived at his house, his mom said something like, are you sure we're at the right house? Seems to me they aren't very close. He isn't a nice guy. He seems moody and a downer. What's her name, Chandler? She's too fun & humorous to be with John.

Marivic's parents seem caring. Marivic is an immature drama queen. Yes, the plumber was an ass with a chip on his shoulder, but Marivic IS quick to anger and needs an attitude adjustment. Steve is too cheerful for her. He will find it exhausting to try to make her happy.

• Love 2

Mitch said there was no infidelity with his parents.  I like his mom - she seems nice and normal.   Cannot image that they'd get death threats.  Too many trolls online think it's funny I suppose.

I like the newest guy for Christina. 

• Love 1

Does anybody else think that Christina sounds like Farrah from Teen Mom? Drives me batty!

YES!  YES YES YES.  I told my husband that I was biased against her from the start because she reminds me of Farrah, but he didn't see it.  It's her voice or the inflections of her voice or something.  Not that she's not annoying in her own right (what the hell was that walk down the wedding aisle??) but having her sound like Farrah just seals the hate deal for me.

When the hell is this show on?? I can never find it and it must be getting terrible ratings because TLC never reruns it. I don't see it on the schedule this week. Looking at TLC's website, it seems there have been 8 episodes so far and the next episode is next Sunday the 14th. What a Valentine's Day treat for us all. God I hope there are only 10 episodes total. 

• Love 1

It sure makes me wonder about Emily having trust issues with Mitch.  Isn't she the one with all the secrets?  He should be the one with the suspicions.

But isn't that common?... it's usually the people who are deceiving others are the ones suspicious people are doing the same to them.

• Love 2

Dear god, Emily is a bitch and her friends are all horrible and rude. They completely lost me when they pushed Mitch into the pool. We had a pool and my father had a strict "no pushing people in" policy. Its not funny, its aggressive and mean. 

Christina, honey, I just can't with you. You wanted this stupid "fairy tale", but now you don't want to play. Make up your mind. 

• Love 3

The more they show of Mitch, the more he is growing on me. When he was making that breakfast, I was really thinking, "this guy is hot".

Then when Emily's friend got drunk and started pushing the gay issue, I got really mad at both her and Emily for not sticking up for him. How rude! Who attends a party and begins insulting one of the guests of honor?

And why didn't Steven defend Mitch either? He was just saying how Mitch always was having girls over, so I imagine Mitch's preferences were clearly defined.

Christina has some issues. I knew when she kept focusing on her "fairy tale wedding" without any concern about who the groom would be, that she did not have both feet in reality, and here we see it playing out. She got her chance to be a living Barbie doll wedding cake topper during her "fairy tale wedding", but I get the feeling that she wants the rest of her life to go on as before without having to make room for a man in it. She didn't really want to be married and share her life with another human being. She wanted to be the star of a wedding ceremony.

• Love 5

Agreed! Remember the promos? "I'm gonna have a husband!" She couldn't care less about being married, but she sure wanted a wedding, and some sort of living Ken doll for a "husband". 

Mitch has been a gentleman throughout. He will be well rid of Emily and her trashy friends. As for Steven, I think he was just so gobsmacked he didn't know how to react. What a thing to say!! 

• Love 4

Miss "I want to meet him at the altar" doesn't actually want to share her apartment and her life with her husband?? She "needs time and space"? I mean, why can't she just admit she wanted a wedding instead of a marriage? Throw a big party, FFS, and show off your bad-ass dance moves ("just hold your arm out, and I'll spin, with a flourish! You're my accessory!!") Perhaps she and Ashley from MAFS can rent a cabin in the woods and both have "their space." Because marriage can be hard work, y'all.  [Witness her hubster, who "needs a copy of her vows because it's like a checklist of things to do."  Wha???]

Then we have "Who am I going to get? Car John or Date John?" Chandler and her man. Who also thought his 15-minutes of fame would be a lot cooler than it's turning out to be.  "Relocate? You mean, interrupt my life for a marriage? But my friends are all nearby, and I can see the stadium! Oh, no no no no no, I thought marriage was where I kept my life the same, but I had someone to cook for me and put out on the regular. I shouldn't actually have to DO anything different."

Emily and Mitch -- the low-hanging fruit (see what I did there?) --- I'm going to leave that one for y'all to play with (yeah, I did it again).  One of Emily's friends. Mitch's long-term roommate. Discuss.

[edited because 'paste' did some weird things]

Edited by TeapotWakeen
  • Love 3

This show is so cringeworthy. It's so obvious none of these couples are going to work out. John and Chandler will never make it down the aisle. Mitch and Emily are not compatible. And Christina doesn't seem interested in Tom now that the wedding's over. What could Tom's "emergency" be? I'm guessing it's a surprise "proposal" type thing since he didn't get to do that.

Head's up, next week's finale is 90 minutes.

• Love 2

Christina spent the wedding posing.  She wanted all the attention on her.  She was almost irritated she had to share the spotlight with Tom.  She wanted a marriage.  That means living with the man and sharing a bed.  She doesn't have to have sex with him right away.  But why is she making him sleep on the couch?  Tom should walk away from this one.

John does not want to get married.  He was acting all creepy.  If I was Chandler I would be a bit afraid of him.

Mitch finally got to meet some of Emily's friends.  This is something that should have happened before the wedding.  They wanted to look him over and decide if they approve.  A lot of us suspected Mitch might be gay.  But the way Emily's one friend brought it up was rude.  Although it was strange that his roommate didn't seem comfortable with the question.  Normally I would have expected him to just laugh and say he was straight.  But he talked in circles.   

• Love 3

I wonder if John preferred the other lady, because he didn't seem excited at the reveal when he saw it was Chandler.

Christina doesn't seem to be into Tom.  I agree with the posters that said she wanted a wedding and not a marriage. 

I found it interesting that Mitch's friend wouldn't admit outright that he is straight.  If anything, the way he "hemmed and hawed" answered that question. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 1

This is really a low rent "Married at First Sight." I have thought Mitch was gay, and he also seems kind of tense and generally high maintenance. The fact that his friend could not answer the question outright was strange. I didn't like Emily's friends throwing Mitch in the pool-that is asshole behavior.

I think Chandler should run far away from John. His parents seem ok but he seems angry and kind of strange. As for the newly married couple-is her name Christina? I forgot her name, but I don't think anyone would want to sleep with a complete stranger. Of course I wouldn't marry a stranger or trust my family to pick out a spouse for me either. I agree she was more interested in the wedding itself, but I kind of like her personality so I don't think too badly of her yet.

Mitch and Emily on the other hand seem really mismatched. He is way too effeminate for my taste, and Emily seems very dull.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Emily's friends are trashy and gross. Fitting since she is turning out to be pretty trashy herself. What is up with Emily's makeup in her talking heads? Her foundation is thick and awful and the lack of any color on her cheeks and lips makes her look sickly.

Watching Mitch prepare breakfast won me over. Holy crap - he is such a catch. I do not care if he is gay or not. I would marry him in a heartbeat if he wanted to just to have such a charming, sophisticated person in my life. 

John is a moron. Chandler needs dump him and then go to his parents and find out if he has any brothers she can marry. 

You guys nailed it about Christina wanting a wedding, not a marriage. I know exactly why she didn't want to meet the groom until the wedding: she wanted the ego boost of seeing how happy/relieved a groom was that she was pretty. Tom isn't my physical type at all, but watching how mature he was hearing about Kevin and seeing his sense of humor has made him attractive to me. He seems like a great guy. I hope Christina doesn't end up hurting him - he certainly doesn't deserve that.

• Love 7

Does Emily have a twin sister?  Because Emily prior to the wedding and Emily after the wedding seem like two different people.  Exactly what has Mitch done to have her going on and on about trust issues, while she hasn't bothered to tell anyone she got married?  Who lets their friend verbally attack their husband, even after he asks her to go shut it down.  What type of friends act this way around people they have never met, people who are their friends' husband, and husbands' best friends?

Christina is exactly what everyone else here has said - she wanted a wedding not a marriage.  You got married, that means you sleep in the same bed and you move in together.  Is Tom going to have to sic her parents on her to explain what a spouse is? 

John never wanted to get married.  He truly hoped both girls turned his parents' down.  At least he's coming clean before the wedding.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

John's face in the car and at home was creepy scary.  He got dark and sinister looking very quickly.  Run Chandler run.  I wonder if he was hoping for the salon assistant manager instead.  Chandler is more of an equal.  I don't think he wants that.  Or a marriage really.  Just his 15 minutes.

Emily was horrible.  Her friends were worse.  Felt like they were doing her dirty work.  Run Mitch run.

Christina, yup, she wanted her princess wedding where she was the star.  Tom is too decent for her.  He does look like her dad so maybe she'll take it a little easier on him.  Still, run Tom run.

• Love 3

John's face in the car and at home was creepy scary.  He got dark and sinister looking very quickly.  Run Chandler run. 

YES! And it must be a pattern for him - even his mom commented to his dad, "Is he shutting down?" when John wanted to meet with him to talk.

• Love 3

Emily is claiming that it's all editing.  Sure.  

Just remember that tv is tv and it is filmed and then EDITED for your entertainment

be entertained and enjoy it!! Please don't be naive in thinking that all you see on reality tv is ALL that happened in real life (or even HOW it really happened in real life) be smart about it! (and entertained)

Wonder how she would have liked it if Mitch's roommate asked her close friend Suzanne (Suziey) Block if she and Emily were gay.  Bet she wouldn't find that funny.  Emily got all bent out of shape during one of the talking heads (interviews) when a producer asked why none of her friends attended.  She threatened to walk off the set.  Yet, it's OK to dig for personal stuff about Mitch on camera?  Not cool.  At least Emily has finally learned how to set her personal Facebook page to private (mostly). 

Emily & Suziey have filmed yet another game show together -- The Celebrity Name Game with Bill Engvall. 

• Love 2

I wish they had shown Emily's friends saying something about how they felt not being invited to the wedding. Were they hurt? Did they care? Did they think it was weird? Were they invited and didn't come? If so, why not?

I figured Mitch would never meet her friends if they weren't even invited to the wedding.

I think Mitch may have had to put up with bullying or teasing growing up and he is NOT going to put up with it from his wife and her friends.

ETA: I have a feeling that John was blinded by Chandler's personality and fit body. She is a bit of a butterface, IMHO. Maybe he didn't look that closely at her until after she was picked for him and he is regretting that.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Emily had said that she didn't tell her friends & family.  IMO, she was looking at this as another acting job.  I doubt though that she didn't tell her bestie Suziey (the one that brought up the gay question).  I think they might even be roomies, they are that close.

I also get the feeling that John would have preferred the skinny girly girl and not Chandler, former professional soccer player, who is just as fit and even sportier than him.  Looks wise, I think they are on par.  chandler has angles she looks good, and John looks horrible when his face gets all dark.

Guess we won't be seeing anymore of Maravic until the reunion?

Emily's friends are trashy and gross. Fitting since she is turning out to be pretty trashy herself. What is up with Emily's makeup in her talking heads? Her foundation is thick and awful and the lack of any color on her cheeks and lips makes her look sickly.

Watching Mitch prepare breakfast won me over. Holy crap - he is such a catch. I do not care if he is gay or not. I would marry him in a heartbeat if he wanted to just to have such a charming, sophisticated person in my life. 

John is a moron. Chandler needs dump him and then go to his parents and find out if he has any brothers she can marry. 

You guys nailed it about Christina wanting a wedding, not a marriage. I know exactly why she didn't want to meet the groom until the wedding: she wanted the ego boost of seeing how happy/relieved a groom was that she was pretty. Tom isn't my physical type at all, but watching how mature he was hearing about Kevin and seeing his sense of humor has made him attractive to me. He seems like a great guy. I hope Christina doesn't end up hurting him - he certainly doesn't deserve that.

Tom seems really nice--good humored and easygoing, if somewhat bemused at this point! Poor guy.

Emily is terrible. Awful. She refused to shut down her trashy loudmouth friend, but then is the picture of concern to her ("are you ok?" with hugs and hairpats) when Mitch finally gets mad. I agree that Mitch seems like a nice guy and comfortable in his skin. His parents did not do well for him.

• Love 2

How can we be entertained by this dreck? Emily, honey, if you are trying to make yourself an Omarosa or Jerri from Survivor you have to, you know, actually do something. Sitting around with a stick up your ass, demonstrating the conversational ability of a potted plant, and having your trashy ratty haired friend do your dirty work is so far from entertaining that a root canal would be more fun. Petty, spiteful and dull as dirt is no way to go through life.

• Love 4

And why didn't Steven defend Mitch either? He was just saying how Mitch always was having girls over, so I imagine Mitch's preferences were clearly defined.

Because to "defend" Mitch implies there is something wrong with being gay.  And there isn't.  I think Mitch and his friends are very open and accepting of all types of people and good for them.  That loudmouth chick doesn't seem to get that.

• Love 3