Type keyword(s) to search

Married By Mom And Dad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree that there's something odd about Emily, but I cheered when she shut the producer down. After years of watching reality shows, and a season of UnREAL, I was glad to see someone stick to her guns.

April was hammered at the wedding, LOL.

Too cheap to get the couple a hotel? That was bad form, TLC. Mitch's apartment was a mess! I'm sure that's not what either of them envisioned.

Emily--evasive and terrified. Chandler, excited and open. Discuss.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 2

I wish this show would move faster.  The constant replaying of scenes before and after gets annoying.

They are advertising for familes for next season.

I also want to know what happens when Emily tells her family.  There is something very strange about that.

TLC always does that. I can only watch DVR versions so I can skip.

• Love 2

The guy reading his wedding speech from his phone... no... no. 

I'm still in awe that Mitch's dad found one woman AND one robot to marry him.  The man lives in a parallel universe.

• Love 2

Christina must have been dumped alot in the past.  She has very little confidence when it comes to men.  That little blond pipsqueak dumping her at the pre-wedding just scared her more.  Now she seems worried if the man meets her before the wedding he will reject her.  In the previews she did not look that happy looking at the man her parents picked for her.

• Love 2

Poor Christina! She might have had bad luck with men in the past but leaving it up to those two was not the sharpest move. I am sure the editing had a lot to do with it, but it looked like they hardly drilled down into what type of personalities these guys had beyond asking them about their "values". I do believe they picked the first clown based on the fact that he ordered the same drink they did in the restaurant, or that is the way it appeared. Wasn't there a really handsome guy that they looked at in the beginning, and then chose the blond Runaway Groom over him?

And now this "Tom" guy. About as exciting as a bowl of Cream of Wheat without the sugar and milk.

• Love 1

I can't believe there was no hotel room for Mitch and Emily after their wedding.  And he didn't even clean the place up knowing they were coming back there. 

I guess Mitch's roommate was nice enough to crash somewhere else for the night. 

Tom was the best they could find?  Or the only one left to pick from? 

• Love 1

Christina's stepmom? What is going on with that chest of hers? She is a mess. At one point, she was standing there with part of her shirt stuck partially under her arm and strangling her breast. Later on, she's wearing bright pink that looks like it has a case of the measles. Or was she wearing some kind of spotted undergarment? That top was also very small on her. What's the deal?

And when they talk about values, it creeps me out. I guess that family creeps me out in general, from the stepmom's rogue boobs to the dad's bad hairdo.

Also, I think it's really creepy when one part of a couple stares at her partner while he's talking. That's what Mitch's stepmom does with her fiance talks. She just kind of drinks him in with her eyes. Fine to be interested, but to fully turn one's head in that direction, and to barely blink while they talk. Weird.

Oh, also, Marivic might have more luck with the menfolk if she ditches those alien contact lenses. It's disturbing that the pupils are always dilated. They don't ever shrink. And why so desperate for a mate? I don't get it. 

• Love 3

I have to say that I'm very surprised that Emily went through with it.  My husband thinks she is, or was, a male.  I don't think she's a male, but there is definitely something different about her. 

Add me to the list of those who couldn't believe that TLC didn't get them a honeymoon suite for their first night.  And was there any mention of a honeymoon or anything???

• Love 1
ShowsILoveToHate, on 25 Jan 2016 - 6:59 PM, said:

I have to say that I'm very surprised that Emily went through with it.  My husband thinks she is, or was, a male.  I don't think she's a male, but there is definitely something different about her.

It's so weird you said that, because when Emily first began hemming and hawing about not telling her parents, and then all the secrecy with the rest of her friends and relatives, the first thing I thought of "I wonder if she's a trans woman?"

Since then, I've been watching her much more closely. I'm not trying to spread rumors, just that it occurred to me and some of what I've seen of her and heard her say makes me wonder.

I really hope I'm wrong, because if I'm not she's put herself into a potentially dangerous situation. I remember the Scott Amadure case years ago. Scott was a gay man who had a crush on another male acquaintance who was straight. Scott revealed his feelings for his friend on the Jenny Jones Show, and subsequently his friend was so angry and embarrassed about the situation occurring on national television he ultimately shot and killed Scott.

I support trans people 100%. However, I also feel they have an obligation to reveal they are trans before becoming involved in a romantic relationship. Not only is it the right thing to do morally, it's important to protecting themselves from someone who might do them harm.

• Love 2

Emily Rhoads says she is a cancer field scientist who grew up on a farm in the Midwest.  Has married siblings.  Has friends in the LA area.  Parents are believed to be living and Emily says she always pictured her father walking her down the aisle.  Yet, she didn't tell any of her friends and family about the MBMAD wedding and has Mitch's girl friends as her bridesmaids.

Looks like Emily was a contestant on an episode of the game show "Chain Reaction" in 2015.  See upper left photo:

CI3n5hkWcAA04Zx.jpg

Edited by Lola16
  • Love 1

“The behemoth part of finding suitors began,” Fishman tells The Knot. “We sat down with each set of parents and main singles separately and asked them to create, on paper, their desired spouse. In many ways it turned into a list of positive and negative attributes, and of course, absolute deal breakers” he says. “We (the parents and us) used this list as our guide to help find the right partner. Working hand-in-hand, we weeded out the absolute no’s and the parents did the rest.”

Finally, the moms and dads would make their final picks. “They sifted through countless candidates until they had their top choices,” Fishman explains. “Once we reached this point, we put the parents’ top suitor picks through a final round of interviews and vetting to determine who would move forward with filming. After that, we simply followed the parents’ lead.”

www.theknot.com/news/married-by-mom-and-dad-executive-producer-exlusive-3241

I think production had a heavy hand when it came to selecting  suitors for Maravic.

It's so weird you said that, because when Emily first began hemming and hawing about not telling her parents, and then all the secrecy with the rest of her friends and relatives, the first thing I thought of "I wonder if she's a trans woman?"

I support trans people 100%. However, I also feel they have an obligation to reveal they are trans before becoming involved in a romantic relationship. Not only is it the right thing to do morally, it's important to protecting themselves from someone who might do them harm.

If that situation turns out to be accurate speculation, then maybe the parents did an exceptionally good job of choosing a partner for Mitch, better than even they knew ::wink::

• Love 4

Took a while but I found the episode from 8-6-15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNChotrloJU

And here is her IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5061500/

And, her Facebook page where she discusses being an actress and being on this show:

https://www.facebook.com/EmmyKatActress/?fref=ts&hc_location=ufi

Emily Rhoads Yep! Everyone knew! The producers decide what they want to air tho! Don't be so naive about what you see on tv and reality shows  everything is real...but edits are done for entertainment. Get it?? Not my fault....

Edited by Lola16

Emily is not trans.  She's an

actress

Do you know this for certain, or are you just speculating? 

If she is an actress, she seemed to be doing a really good job of acting nervous

and uncomfortable as hell at the wedding and afterwards.

Edited by CottlestonPie
  • Love 1

Do you know this for certain, or are you just speculating? 

If she is an actress, she seemed to be doing a really good job of acting nervous

and uncomfortable as hell at the wedding and afterwards.

Go to the Wacky Kids thread.

• Love 2

So ...I am speculating that she didn't want any of her friends & family to know she was getting married to Mitch because they would recognize it was a publicity stunt to boost her acting career and they would disapprove.

I find it impossible to believe anyone goes on a reality show for sincere reasons.  It always seems to pan out that they were just trying to get into show business.  This is just more of that.

• Love 3

So ...I am speculating that she didn't want any of her friends & family to know she was getting married to Mitch because they would recognize it was a publicity stunt to boost her acting career and they would disapprove.

I find it impossible to believe anyone goes on a reality show for sincere reasons.  It always seems to pan out that they were just trying to get into show business.  This is just more of that.

Or maybe they did know and didn't go on the show because they didn't want to be part of the farce.  Her mother is posting about it on her personal facebook as if it is an acting gig.

• Love 1

John is also listed as an actor and model. 

I get reality TV isn't real, and I am not a naive person, but :

Are people so desperate to fame-whore that they would actually get married just to pad their acting resume? (I know--yes, yes they are. Geez! )

Even if I were an actress, I couldn't go that far. If the marriages aren't at all legit and it's strictly acting being presented as "reality", well, OK. I can understand that  to a degree. But if that is the case, then eff you, TLC! I want these people to at least have real consequences for said fame-whoring, lol.

• Love 3

What's the time frame for applying for a license to getting married?  In one episode, we see John's parents tell the 'lucky' girl that she's getting married that weekend.  Now, maybe that was on a Monday... but I'd think there'd be paperwork, do they do blood tests still, and maybe even a waiting period.

• Love 1

What's the time frame for applying for a license to getting married?  In one episode, we see John's parents tell the 'lucky' girl that she's getting married that weekend.  Now, maybe that was on a Monday... but I'd think there'd be paperwork, do they do blood tests still, and maybe even a waiting period.

Here is a quick link to the questions you ask...  but basically most states no longer require blood tests, most states have no waiting period between applying for a marriage license & receiving it, and most states allow marriages to happen immediately upon receiving a marriage license.  http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/chart-state-marriage-license-blood-29019.html

• Love 1

John is a "model"? Hahahahhaaaahaaaaahaha! From Denver? Hahahahahahahaaaaa!

ummm.  Yea, here's his modeling agency page:

http://coloradomodels.net/talent/viewProfile.html?l=1192

And his resume:

http://coloradomodels.net/talent/45/1192/Coultrip.John.Resume.pdf

Where he lists his college (!) acting roles.  Reminds me of the scene in the park where he goes on about his soccer playing and then admits it was in 8th grade. #smh

• Love 3

Mitch, it seems, is a photographer on the side (of his real job as a sommelier)

http://desmondsphotos.format.com/#1

Didn't see any modeling or acting aspirations.  He did take to his personal Facebook page to defend his parents - mostly his dad from cheating rumors:

Mitch Sargent added 2 new photos.
January 7 at 6:17pm · Los Angeles, CA ·

Here are two adorable pictures I took. One of my dad and his fiance, and one of my mom and her fiance. I love them. All of them. Everyone is happy, and that makes me happy. Happiness is living. Here's a little statement to those that don't understand what happiness is:

I'd like to dispel the myth that there was any infidelity on anyone's part, because there was none. Seriously, what the hell?! Ridiculous that I even have to post something like this! That rumor was created by those that do not personally know my family, and believe only what was manufactured on television. Please find something better to do, rather than cause my family distress! Just because you saw a television program, does not suddenly give you a right to make any judgement. HATE MAIL?! REALLY?! JUST STOP IT! I couldn't be happier for each side of my family and love that everyone is amicable toward one another. Hope everyone had a great holiday with immediate and extended family, as I did.

FIND A WAY TO BE HAPPY

Thanks!
  • Love 1

Christina is not going to like the groom her parents chose for her. He may be nice, but he looks like a turtle.

ha!  I find him better though than the short bleached blond frat boy who ditched her day of.  But, yea, her face is transmitting dislike.

• Love 3

Took a while but I found the episode from 8-6-15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNChotrloJU

And here is her IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5061500/

And, her Facebook page where she discusses being an actress and being on this show:

https://www.facebook.com/EmmyKatActress/?fref=ts&hc_location=ufi

Sorry but this just pisses me off.  How blatant can this be.  I mean I know these shows are fake and all but please.

• Love 4

Agreed. At least Jessica on MAFS was an actress who wanted to get married! This chica is making up a backstory and playing a part. That's just stupid and a waste of time. Say you're an actress, why say you're a scientist or a schoolteacher or a dominatrix or whatever? Model/actors are a part of the territory on these shows but this really seems like crossing a line. I realize I'm an idiot for being so annoyed by this!

• Love 2

Agreed. At least Jessica on MAFS was an actress who wanted to get married! This chica is making up a backstory and playing a part. That's just stupid and a waste of time. Say you're an actress, why say you're a scientist or a schoolteacher or a dominatrix or whatever? Model/actors are a part of the territory on these shows but this really seems like crossing a line. I realize I'm an idiot for being so annoyed by this!

Emily really did work as a field person (I don't know what her exact job was) for a pharma company, has a degree in science so I don't think that's a lie.  It seems she transferred out to CA with her job (or took a new one out there) while looking for acting gigs.  Her lie is a lie of omission.   I do wonder if these people are legally married or just had a ceremony with no state paperwork.

• Love 2

It appeared that Mitchell's mom (the blonde lady who's name escapes me) had a significant other at the wedding and reception.  I wonder why he wasn't involved in selecting the bride as well.  I guess it was more conflict to have the mom and the stepmom, but all four parents could have been a different dynamic altogether.

It appeared that Mitchell's mom (the blonde lady who's name escapes me) had a significant other at the wedding and reception.  I wonder why he wasn't involved in selecting the bride as well.  I guess it was more conflict to have the mom and the stepmom, but all four parents could have been a different dynamic altogether.

Mitch's mom has a fiance. I'm guessing he didn't see the need to be involved.

I would be mad too if they were all actors and none of this was real. But if emily(?) Was really a full on actress, when the producers asked her about her lack of friend and family attendance I am sure she could have created an elaborate excuse.

Instead she said she didn't want to talk about it. This gives me hope that there is a small shred of reality to this show.

• Love 2

This show has officially gone from being a train wreck that I couldn't turn away from to being so awkward that I couldn't watch without cringing. That was the most awkward hour of television.

"Why am I second guessing this? Why don't I have anything to say? Why is this so awkward?"

....because you just married a stranger. On television.

• Love 5

Agreed! It was so cringe-tastic and awkward I could barely watch. And dear god, if I heard Christina say "fairy tale" one more time, I would have stabbed someone. Honey, a plastic chandelier hanging from a tree is last year's pinterest trend, not a goddamn fairy tale.

I don't get it, though--in their shoes I'd be chattering up a storm, trying to learn about my new mate and share what I was all about. None of these twits can even muster up some cocktail party icebreakers? "um, I like wine" "i like wine too" "I like to drink wine" "yes, wine is nice". Gah!

• Love 4

Why was Christina walking that way? She looked like Cinderella's stepsisters or something . And John, did you ever think maybe you're not the marrying type? You might be happier working out with your Bro's, no?

One more thing...Mitch, honey...no straight dudes drive Volkswagen cars. Sorry

This show is just a horrible train wreck.  I skipped a few episodes but watched last night.  Just awful, awful, awful.  I just can't even begin to comment.  There is so much wrong with this show and everybody on it.  And I see they are casting for next season ("casting" being the operative word).

• Love 1

In the end, Marivic's family has turned out to be the sanest. Yikes. 

John may be getting cold feet, but if he ever wants to get married he needs to lock down a good woman before his hair leaves him. (Note: I have nothing against bald men. Bald can be very sexy, just not on John.)

I did not need to hear Mitch's parents speculating on his sex life. 

• Love 2