Type keyword(s) to search

Married By Mom And Dad - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh, pleasepleaseplease let someone else be watching this show!! I like Mitchell, the sommelier, quite a bit. In looks he reminds me of Richard Engel, the foreign correspondent for NBC, who I think is a BABE. His mother is really nice and warm, his father? is a douchebag of epic proportions. Those poor girls. He was downright rude to Rebecca. I would have run. Can't remember the name of the nurse who lives with her parents--can't say much about her, but her parents are a scream! I would love to hang out with them. Her dad is adorable. I also liked the ballroom dancer/real estate entrepreneur's parents, especially her mother. she seems level headed and fun.

• Love 4

I was surprised that the mother of blonde woman (sorry don't remember anyone's name) was actually her stepmother.  I thought she looked exactly like her.  I wonder if the mother looks the same and that was the dad's "type."  I read somewhere that her actual mom did not want to be involved in the show.  Wonder why, ha ha. I also thought the stepmother to be of the guy also looked more like him than his actual mother did.  In fact, while watching the endless commercials that have been playing for weeks promoting this show, I thought that both of these people looked so much like their mothers!  They are both very attractive and I don't understand why they would need to sign up for something like this.  The third family (I think they are Filipino) I was very amused when I saw the "Welcome to Valley Cottage" sign since this is (sort of) my home town (I live one town over but we share a school system).  It is a very small community and everyone seems to know each other, but I hadn't heard about this show filming nor do I know them.  In the end, I found the show a little boring.  Not sure if I will stick with it, but I may check it out again.

• Love 2

I watched! Why? I don't know, but I did!

I really liked the blonde (Christie? Christy? Kristy? I don't know...). She actually seems really nice and seems to have her life together. I think all three of them featured seem to work a lot so that's probably the reason they haven't met someone.

So...what's the deal with the 4th? Another guy, going by the previews. The previews made it seem like he nopes out of the process at some point. I wonder if not every person is going to be featured every week (like 90-Day Fiance). Anyone know how many episodes we are getting?

• Love 1

So...what's the deal with the 4th? Another guy, going by the previews. The previews made it seem like he nopes out of the process at some point. I wonder if not every person is going to be featured every week (like 90-Day Fiance). Anyone know how many episodes we are getting?

I get the feeling he backed out so he is not really featured.  He was not in any of the commercials either.

• Love 1

Oh, pleasepleaseplease let someone else be watching this show!! I like Mitchell, the sommelier, quite a bit. In looks he reminds me of Richard Engel, the foreign correspondent for NBC, who I think is a BABE. His mother is really nice and warm, his father? is a douchebag of epic proportions. Those poor girls. He was downright rude to Rebecca. I would have run. Can't remember the name of the nurse who lives with her parents--can't say much about her, but her parents are a scream! I would love to hang out with them. Her dad is adorable. I also liked the ballroom dancer/real estate entrepreneur's parents, especially her mother. she seems level headed and fun.

I'm here watching this, too. It's interesting that Mitch and his Mom, not sure (nor do I care) about his Dad and April, are from Peachtree City, GA. I lived one town over for over 15 years until recently. His Mom doesn't seem like the typical PTC mom, which is a huge compliment; his dad oozes the typical PTC parent that I knew from there. The way they set up their meetings with the ladies...they were doomed from the start for awkwardness and major nerves, plus it didn't look like they ever had any conversations, just Q & A.

The nurse's parents are cute, but their constant nervous laughter was picking a nerve before the episode was over. Hope they'll settle in a bit more.

Edited by Katmai
  • Love 3

I thought it was cool that the three families each had a different strategy for their interviews.  I assumed that production would have more say in that and force them to ask all the same questions.  I thought that Christina's parents had the best strategy.  It is a good idea to see the suitors' homes because that can say a lot about their personalities and where they are in their lives.  It also made the suitor more comfortable and their conversation seemed the most natural and productive.

If I was being interviewed by Mitch's dad I would be worried that his son was just like him.  Major turnoff and he isn't doing his son any favors.  It wasn't clear based on what was said, but was it implied that the dad met the potential stepmother during a high school reunion when he and his ex-wife were still married?  If so, asshole.

Marivic's parents are cute, but it was weird how hung up they were on whether or not the suitors were bald.  I agreed with her dad that the first suitor did not seem genuine.

• Love 2

Oh, that first guy was totally there to be on on TV. I didn't get any kind of idea that he was interested in meeting their daughter or getting into a relationship. The minute he said he was an artist and rapper I thought "self promoter", which is fine, but I'm glad Marivic's parents didn't fall for it.

Good point about Mitch's dad--if I was being grilled by him without being offered so much as a glass of water, I'd be rethinking my options.

• Love 1

It wasn't clear based on what was said, but was it implied that the dad met the potential stepmother during a high school reunion when he and his ex-wife were still married?  If so, asshole.

That's the way I understood what was said about them meeting, too. Asshole indeed.

• Love 2

First of all, any guy who says he's an "entrepreneur and a rapper" is unemployed. Period. It's a deadly combo.

Second of all, did the potential mates get to ask anything about the parents' offspring? I mean, if someone I don't even know is going to ask me about my sex life, I'm coming back with "so, did you have him snipped at birth? so how many thots you think he's been with? when did you have the sex talk with him? at what age did he lose his virginity?"  HELL NO, you're not asking me that stuff on the first interview.

Third of all.... bald men are sexy.

• Love 7

I decided to watch this show but I disliked most of the parents. The guys dad asking all of those sex questions? And I hated him asking her if she is a shopper? Since she is still a single woman, it is none of his business if she likes shopping or not. And I felt sorry for his ex having to be there with the new flame. I also thought the son while very cute, seemed gay. 

The women looking to be fixed up seem normal, but unless they are doing this only to be on TV, they are bound to be disappointed. You can't expect your parents of all people to find a spouse for you. Parents know you, but on a totally different level than your friends do. I'm interested in seeing what comes next though.

• Love 2

It wasn't clear based on what was said, but was it implied that the dad met the potential stepmother during a high school reunion when he and his ex-wife were still married? If so, asshole.

I didn't get that impression the son said they haven't spoken in years and his relationship with the fiancee was relatively knew. I think the only reason the mother knew how they met was because they all went to high school together.

I didn't get that impression the son said they haven't spoken in years and his relationship with the fiancee was relatively knew. I think the only reason the mother knew how they met was because they all went to high school together.

No she definitely said they had reconnected at a High School reunion they all were at.  What wasn't clear was if the parents were still married at the time.

• Love 2

No she definitely said they had reconnected at a High School reunion they all were at. What wasn't clear was if the parents were still married at the time.

She said that they all went to high school together but she thought the fiancee wasn't in their class; she never once said she was at the reunion that they reconnected at or that they were still married. It could have happened but she just seems all over her exand doesn't have a wronged spouse vibe when dealing with the new fiancee.

Edited by biakbiak

I am sure I heard her say that.  I would have to watch the whole show over again to be absolutely positive though, and not going to do that.  I did find some comments on the TLC Facebook page and somebody mentioned it there too. She most definitely said something about them meeting at the reunion.

Edited by Momof2boyz
  • Love 1

Some posters are making statements that are too general to be informed. First of all, we are watching a producer-driven tv show about people we do not know.  Secondly,  given the number of cultures where arranged marriages are still practiced we cannot say they are unsuccessful. There are still people who value their parents' advice and are not opposed to them being in their lives. 

Edited by ethalfrida

I am sure I heard her say that.  I would have to watch the whole show over again to be absolutely positive though, and not going to do that.  I did find some comments on the TLC Facebook page and somebody mentioned it there too. She most definitely said something about them meeting at the reunion.

The mom definitely stated two things 1. The three of them went to high school together but she was unsure of the fianncees year and 2. The dad and fiancee reconnected at a high school reunion. She never implied that they were still married at the time or that she was at the reunion.

• Love 2

Step Mom is there to mark territory mostly. It created a lot of tension, possibly jeopardizing the whole experience for the son (somalier). Dad's direct questions that created fear and awkwardness on these girls, didn't help. The conversation would have flown much smoother if it was just Mom talking to them.

Edited by Passthepopcorn
  • Love 5

Agreed. i am also willing to bet that Dad wouldn't participate unless new wife was there. It was pretty apparent to me that he likes to be in charge, and brooks little disagreement. the look of contempt he flashed to his former wife when she kindly told one of the girls she didn't have to answer any question she felt uncomfortable with said it all.

• Love 3

I'm confused.  At one point I thought the children were going to meet the person their parents picked

before agreeing to marry them.  Then it sounded like it would be married at first sight. Which is it?

I think it's a mix. The guy seems to meet the final candidates while his parents observe them, and ultimately pick. The blonde said since she was doing the whole parents-pick-for-me shebang that she wanted to do it all the way and meet her husband-to-be right at the altar.

• Love 1

I decided to watch this show but I disliked most of the parents. The guys dad asking all of those sex questions? And I hated him asking her if she is a shopper? Since she is still a single woman, it is none of his business if she likes shopping or not. And I felt sorry for his ex having to be there with the new flame. I also thought the son while very cute, seemed gay.

The women looking to be fixed up seem normal, but unless they are doing this only to be on TV, they are bound to be disappointed. You can't expect your parents of all people to find a spouse for you. Parents know you, but on a totally different level than your friends do. I'm interested in seeing what comes next though.

I thought so too. I'm not sure why, but that's the vibe I get from him, too. 

I found it interesting that his parents all seemed to like Martha (the first girl interviewed). She was 21 when she first got married, divorced at 25, and only a year later, at 26, she's ready to get married to someone whose parents are matching them up? That's about as weird as it can get. It's plain bizarre that the parents were hung up on sex questions and spending habits, while brushing aside the huge emotional red flags the blonde was exhibiting.

Edited by lavenderpenguin
  • Love 4

What is going on with that chiropractor??

He is ripped and is successful, seems well-mannered.... Why in the world would he not have been snapped up already? Or agree to marry sonebody sight unseen?

I just am really having trouble suspending my disbelief at this show

What is going on with that chiropractor??

He is ripped and is successful, seems well-mannered.... Why in the world would he not have been snapped up already? Or agree to marry sonebody sight unseen?

I just am really having trouble suspending my disbelief at this show

Using The Bachelor's current promo monkey copy. if women looked at him and saw a god he would partake of their attempts to worship him. And by agreeing to marry sight unseen gets him on TV for his minutes of reality fame. And if he is very very successful here then he can fill the realty TV star seat in a future season of Dancing With The Stars

• Love 1

OK.  I am not sure if I was really tired last night or the show was really boring (probably both) but I fell asleep and missed most of it.  It seems that Christina had her heart set on meeting her husband to be at the altar but her parents want her to meet him first?  Why on earth would she want to meet him at the altar?  Is she crazy?  How is that a romantic fantasy?  We have all seen from Married at First Sight that this can be a very stressful scenario.  

• Love 1

Agree. Was just about to say that this show needs to pick up the pace - downright boring last night. I wonder how many episodes there are...I can't take 10 more episodes of this. Hoping there are just 6 episodes.

I don't know if Christina's parents picked right. I'm not completely sold on Kevin. I feel bad for Mitch's mom - she seems so uncomfortable being around her ex and his new wife.

• Love 3

There were a couple of funny/WTF moments with the Controlling "Mr. Sex Questions" Dad --- at one point he opened the door for his old wife first and then Bonus Mom April had to stutter step to be second. And then he introduced old wife first and didn't introduce new wife (or some similar gaffe)... and then a third one that I can't remember, but it was funny as hell at the time.

The other WTF moment for me was Christina's repeated "it's my fairy tale moment" (meeting her husband at the altar). If you're over the age of 17 and sticking to "fairy tale moments" as a life plan, you need to back the F off of Tumblr, put away the NetChixFlix  account, and go out and actually interact with real people for awhile.

• Love 4

I don't know if Christina's parents picked right. I'm not completely sold on Kevin. I feel bad for Mitch's mom - she seems so uncomfortable being around her ex and his new wife.

Agree.  He seemed a little creepy to me.  And maybe a little fake.  He seemed a little fixated on having "little blonde babies" and liked that she was "a smoking hot blonde."  I mean, he is blonde, so I get maybe he likes his own kind but still, kinda creepy.  I liked the other guy last week better. 

• Love 3

I wonder if any of the kids are going to be upset when they see who their parents passed on in favor of their ultimate choices.  If I was Christina I would already be upset that my parents picked somebody shorter than me, now she knows that the other option had a lot going for him, too.

• Love 2

Mitchell's douche-canoe dad should learn how to pronounce his son's profession (sommelier, which he pronounces so-MALL-ee-yay) before he goes around bragging about it to wife candidates. Can't stand the guy. And his fiancee needs to lay off the Botox. Her upper lip area doesn't move.

• Love 5

This show is dragging.

I thought the chiro guy from last week was hot good job/biz...I flashed back to Dr Travis on the Bach

maybe the chiro has ambitions? I would have picked him - the blondie is a bit fake JMO

Nurse's parents chose these guys online - why pick bald ones? Why act surprised the plumber did not

to to college?

Sex question Dad is reality gold LOL

Gal #3 , scientist was best IMHO...but will she want Mitch? He alerts my gaydar

The new guy also sends up an alert - I think he will be picky

it is a weird premise and not that promising unless they get chiro guy back in the mix 

(pref running shirtless LOL)

• Love 3

Sex question Dad is reality gold LOL

Gal #3 , scientist was best IMHO...but will she want Mitch? He alerts my gaydar

I agree that she was the best, but I think she may be too good for Mitch.  Hopefully he isn't the type to feel emasculated when his wife is smarter than him.  He pings for me too.

• Love 2

I agree that she was the best, but I think she may be too good for Mitch.  Hopefully he isn't the type to feel emasculated when his wife is smarter than him.  He pings for me too.

He pings for me, too. In fact, when he was shown at the pool party, sitting with the guys, he looked so comfortable, I thought his story was going to be his parents picking a guy for him.

• Love 3

April, Mitch's stepmom, is either Botox'd to within an inch of her life or stoned out of her gourd.

ETA: Mitch not may not be willing to admit it, but he's looking for a husband, not a wife.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 6

I agree 100% about Mitch. It's the carefully coiffed hair and snug v-neck tshirt, plus the general vibe. The Asian woman is too young and vapid. Trying to figure out why the dad seems so keen on her. But I think she's out of the running anyway. #2 is boring. I think #3 is best but too much for Mitch.

The blonde whose parents picked the blonde guy, I sensed ZERO chemistry between those two. None.

• Love 2

Yeah, there is ZERO chemistry between Christina and Kevin. Not surprised to see their wedding probably doesn't go off. He is way too mild for her, she needs someone a bit more challenging.

Mitch comes across boring too. I think the girl he meets next week is the best match. I'm interested to see what happens with them.

Three episodes in and all I can say is having the parents pick is not a good idea. 

• Love 1

To save my life I can't figure out WHY Christina's parents chose Kevin! He's smarmy, too young for Christina, and boring. He seems to have no ambition, so a bad match for go-getter Christina there. Their "date" was so painfully awkward I had to watch through my fingers. 

Mitch's dad and stepmother creep me out. His mother seems very uncomfortable in these interactions and looks like she is wishing she was anywhere else. Maravic's parents crack me up, and I like her, too. I like how down to earth she seems. John's parents are a bit self consciously kooky, but seem really cute and I just loved how all in they were. They didn't grill the girl, just hung out with her. I liked her, too. What a difference from Mitch's parents! 

• Love 3

Marivic is so hash - both in personality and looks. Even her voice is harsh. She has so much beauty potential and I'd love to give her a makeover with softer makeup, less liquid eyeliner, and some sleep (she has some serious eye bags going on). 

ETA: Does anyone remember what the guy from Denver (John?) does for a living? 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Agreed, it's moving super slow. Are we going to see the couples after the weddings? To me, that's the interesting part.

One more set of gaydar antennae pinging over here re: the sommelier. The L.A. pool party scene was like an episode of "Queer as Folk."

• Love 5

I love this show! It's like watching a horrible train wreck. I've been watching with my over protective dad and it has been a hoot. He went from "He needs to be this and this and this" to "Marry who you want. Leave me out of it," all within the course of the first episode.

I find myself caring a great deal about some of the people (I hate that Christina is probably going to be left at the altar) and loathing others.

I'm not a big fan of Mitch or his parents. He seems a little arrogant and everything has been said about his dad. His mom seems to HATE the girl who travels. From the screening process to meeting her, she visibly flinches when someone mentions her. It's weird.

Maivric's parenrs crack me up. Her potential suitors are all questionable in my opinion but I like that her parents are having fun with it.

I love John and his parents! I also like Chandler. He doesn't seem to be as into the process and its suspicious that he came on late.

I'm creepy and looked all of these people up on Facebook to investigate/spoil myself. I'm tickled pink that

John's parents and Chandler are friends on Facebook.

* I hope this means she "won." They really seemed to like her from the start though.

*spoiler tags to be safe.

• Love 2