Type keyword(s) to search

How do you watch this show?

• Start Topic

I don't mean in the sense of "OMG how can you watch this!!". I mean - have you established your own pattern of what you do and don't watch in every episode?

I've fallen into the pattern of always skipping some parts; sometimes skipping others; and always watching others. Here's what that looks like:

I always skip everything before the titles - the "preview" segment. It's one long tease, and won't tell me anything I'm not about to see anyway.

I watch the first parts of the biographical story. I want to know who everyone is and how they relate to the addict. I want to know how the addiction came about.

I often skip the rest of the "before" part. Once I know who's who and what's what, I don't need to watch some contrived confrontation where everyone oh-so-spontaneously shows up at the same house - even if they haven't see each other in months. This feels more exploitative than any other part to me. In some cases it's got something to offer. Too often it's beating home points that have already been made.

I watch the pre-intervention without fail. Some truly honest stuff rises to the top here.

I always fast forward through the "so-and-so thinks she's going to her last interview" biz, with the ominous music. Eh.

I watch the beginning of the intervention, to see if the addict will settle in and listen. But I skip the letter reading. I watch as it fast-forwards to see if anything unexpected is happening, in which case I'll go back to watching. But I don't need to hear all the letters - unless one of the writers is due for a come-to-Jesus moment of their own.

En route to rehab: FF.

At rehab: watch.

Post-rehab: watch.

Final titles: slow FF so I can see the BSOD tell the last of the story, at a good clip and without listening to that treacly music.

There's no other show I've fallen into such a predictable pattern with! You?

• Love 1

I don't skip any part of the show.  Except for if there's any puking.  I can't handle puking, so when there's a bulimic episode that get a lot of fast-forwarding because I don't do puke.  

• Love 2

I am glued to every second of this show, mesmerized by the bat shit craziness of these people.  The only time I fast forward is in repeats, where I clearly remember what happened.  Episodes like Gina, or Cristy are ones I always watch in full.

• Love 1

It depends on the topic. I have a fondness for alcoholics (I don't know why) so with them I will watch the entire episode. I have gotten bored with herion addicts so unless there is something unusual I usually fast foward some. Meth is usually good for a fun time. Anything with food is a big 'No'. Anything else it's about the train wreck potential.

• Love 1

I often channel surf during the letter-reading, especially if it sounds like they've all used the boiler-plate  "Your addiction has affected me in the following ways…"

I hate that. I understand operating on that principle, but the confrontations swing so wildly from "please stay, we're here for you, we love you" to "now listen about ME". Not that the latter isn't critically important! But transition is horrific, and in the shoes of the addict I think I'd close right down at the contradiction.

It depends on the topic. I have a fondness for alcoholics (I don't know why) so with them I will watch the entire episode. I have gotten bored with herion addicts so unless there is something unusual I usually fast foward some. Meth is usually good for a fun time. Anything with food is a big 'No'. Anything else it's about the train wreck potential.

Alcoholics are easier for me to watch because hey, they're drinking liquid! I drink liquid every day! But the shooting up and throwing up? Nuh-uh. Those are great episodes to have on in the background while I clean, because I don't get a sudden eyeful of that. (I do miss the BSOD that way, but I can go backtrack if I feel I've missed something relevant. BSODs offer new information. Needles jammed into arms, legs, and necks I've seen enough of.

My main thing is I skip the past/background info about the addict and their family. I'm watching for trainwreck factor, I don't really care whose parents didn't love them enough or whatever. And reading about past traumas, like molestation and rape add a much more depressing overtone to the show. I just wanna see the nitty gritty and then the intervention....and then lastly the BSOJ.

I'm an addict/alcoholic in recovery (today anyway; I've relapsed many times). I usually have to stop watching when they start shooting up, because I was an IV drug user and I always start craving when I watch someone else doing it. I never watch the eating disorders episodes because of the puking. I also have a hard time watching the alcoholics who chug-a-lug straight out of the bottle. I used to do that when I was drinking and now just the thought of it (much less watching it) makes me gag, literally.

I like the background story, and some of the 'daily life of an addict' scenes where it's shown how much they've lost to their addiction.  I usually half watch during the obligatory 'family dinner with the addict' scenes, and the pre-intervention scenes.  I may watch the pre-intervention if I think the interventionist is going to read a relative or friend the riot act for their own behavior.  I don't like to watch the chase scenes where the addict runs from the intervention and people go drag them back in.  I don't like following the addict to the motel or house where they are going to turn tricks to earn drug money, or into the 'hood' where they are buying the addiction product.  I especially watch the intrervention if I think they will offer an addicts' significant other treatment also. 

I have a hard time watching the ones where the parent is the one that got the child addicted, or parties with them.

edited to remove gibberish,

Edited by mythoughtis

I find I'm more likely to ff based on the family.  When it's a spouse/parent, I'll probably watch all of it.  When it's a kid with free reign to come and go as they please, I'll watch the backstory, skip the contrived family dinner, skim through the pre-intervention to see if any of them have a shred of self-awareness, and then to the inevitable meltdown mid-intervention.  Those are the ones who are pretty much guaranteed that they'll skip out on treatment and be welcomed home with open arms. The middle ground is kids with clearly narcissistic/abusive/control freak parents, or the ones who chose to be homeless even if their parents probably would offer the revolving door policy if it meant they'd check in once in a while.

I record all of the episodes - new and reruns, but I only skip through the commercials.  I love the series but it can be a little too emotionally exhausting for me so I tend to watch a handful at a time.  I'll admit that when I had a lazy day this past weekend I may have watched 8 episodes in a row.  

PS - I'm new here :)

• Love 2