Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

Vote For The Best Law & Order Fantasy Draft Team!

The lack of UK love here is upsetting, and you have Steel ranked incorrectly. He was senior Crown Prosecutor, so he should be on the Executive ADA level. And Harriet Walter as D.I. Natalie Chandler was a far better captain than most of these picks -- I would rank her just below Van Buren and Cragen, in a grouping with Deakins and Ross.

Edited by abbottrabbit
  • Like 1

Yes, I tweeted a link, but I think I should have won the second I was able to draft Lennie Briscoe third overall, let alone when I managed to assemble a roster featuring him, McCoy as EADA, Goren, Kincaid, etc.

I'm very happy with my team, is what I'm saying. Perhaps insufferably so.

• Like 5

I did consider Tara's team, which has two characters I really adore, Abbie Carmichael and Danielle Melnick. And I did appreciate Sarah D. Bunting's comments about Alexandra Eames, who I also loved and felt was unfairly overshadowed by the Goren.

But I had to go Sepinwall. In addition to fan favorites Lennie and McCoy, Kincaid and Rubirosa together cancel out the lack of Carmichael for me and the McCoy/Kincaid and Cutter/Rubirosa pairings are both very strong. And having not just Goren but Nicole Wallace too was the cherry on the sundae, the Nicole Wallace episodes of L&O: CI are far and away my favorites.

Great work all, though, was so fun to listen to!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Like 1

Like TeeVee, I love Alex Eames, but the lure of Goren AND Briscoe on one team? Yeah. (Even if I wish Nicole had perished in a brigade of bullets!) Sorry, Eames. But you still rock, fo sho!

• Like 1

Had to go with Sarah for basically the douchiest defendant in the history of L&O, which is saying a lot, the Fatch himself. I have hated his smug face ever since.

Also the smoothest of smooth Junior ADAs, Paul Robinette.  That fade was on point.

and hey it's that guy whose name we never cared about who went on to die on the toilet on The Sopranos who has 2 lines to Chris Noth in every episode until he gets busted by Mr Big in the Chris Noth L&O TV movie.

Edited by ScortiusoftheBlues
  • Like 1

Why is ME Rodgers listed twice though?

Because her dry biting wit rocks twice as much (being on two L&O shows)? OK, maybe she was on SVU, too, but Warner phased her out there.

Can we all agree that I have the most uninformed line-up? 

The rest of the line-up was middling but the Lupo-Bernard combination is so great (and so underrated) it got you my vote anyway. 

• Like 2

By the way...

Ellen Pompeo as "Karla Homolka"

Which sociopathic "Law & Order" Ellen Pompeo character is this?  The one who hired her boyfriend to kill her family because her mom was mean?  Or the one who let her boyfriend rape her younger sister?

• Like 1

Because her dry biting wit rocks twice as much (being on two L&O shows)? OK, maybe she was on SVU, too, but Warner phased her out there.

I thought about that, but other multiple show characters (Logan & Cragen) were restricted to a single choice. The only characters (outside of her) that were available for multiple selections were ones that occupied multiple positions, like McCoy. Basically what I'm saying is that the whole draft is null & void and will have to be redone, since Rodgers is clearly a major swing pick.

Edited by alynch

I voted for Briscoe & Goren, obviously. It's a perfect Holmes/Watson pair. But Dave Cole's legal team of Ben Stone, Casey Novak & Adam Schiff is going to be hard to beat. Plus Cole gets Fin & Huang for back up. That's a tough match up.

I still miss Mike Logan, though. I hope he comes back as Commissioner someday, lol.

Edited by Merneith
  • Like 2

I voted for Tara just because she has Danielle Melnick. Tovah Feldshuh is my favorite character actress, and she really made Melnick great competition for our ADAs.

• Like 1

Lennie Briscoe, Fin Tutuola, John Munch, Abbie Carmichael, Alex Cabot & Melinda Warner. That's my dream team, and in my mind they can face off against any dickbag criminal/defence attorney.

• Like 1

This was tough. Real tough. But, the presence of Briscoe, McCoy, and Goren (look, I have complex feeling about D'Onofrio, both bloated and non-bloated) pushed me to Alan.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised no one went with the Barnes family for defendants (the crazy psychiatrist family led by Brent Spiner, from Criminal Intent), but man all of the defendant picks here are good.

I had to go Team Tara ... not because of Dat Azz ... well, not JUST because of Dat Azz. I also love Munch, Jamie Bamber from the UK -- and I have a special liking for Dianne Wiest, who I never felt got a fair shake from people. Add Bebe Neuwirth and Tovah Feldshuh and you've got a great lineup.

I have been watching a fair amount of L&O: UK recently -- they are really quite a good team. Bradley Walsh as Ronnie Brooks captures (what I guess is) the British version of a Lennie Briscoe type. Great actors all round -- Harriet Walter, Freema Agyeman, Ben Daniels. And it's especially interesting if you know the adapted script to see how it gets changed for British law / cultural differences. Big takeaway: CCTV footage is EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised no one went with the Barnes family for defendants (the crazy psychiatrist family led by Brent Spiner, from Criminal Intent), but man all of the defendant picks here are good.

Oooh, that's a great episode with a great denouncement.  "I'm your daughter, I'M YOURS!!!"

I was never a Criminal Intent watcher, so I went and looked up the Olivia D'Abo character mentioned in the discussion. Holy shit. I don't think any of the other franchises had a returning criminal like this, did they? Wow.

Also, the Stabler picture Tara posted of him on all fours on a dock... that is a) criminal in the best way and b) in danger of making me some kind of perp on a new L&O: Cyber edition...

I was never a Criminal Intent watcher, so I went and looked up the Olivia D'Abo character mentioned in the discussion. Holy shit. I don't think any of the other franchises had a returning criminal like this, did they? Wow.

Yeah, Nicole Wallace did not fuck around.

And your post reminded me about the character Larry Miller played on L&O: Mothership. who appeared in two episodes.  He was involved in the murder of his first wife, got away with it, and then returned a year or so later having murdered his second wife.

• Like 1

First time, long time, great episode. Had to go with Sepinwall for the Kincaid/Briscoe block and the crafty move of grabbing Post for the bench. I would have gone with Arthur Gold for the defense and Phillip Swann for the defendant - just for the amount of consternation (and satisfaction) they caused Ben Stone.

I had to physically FORCE myself to vote against Dat Azz. And with him out of the way it was split so evenly between Sarah and Dave I considered abstaining, because HOW can I choose between Stone/Schiff and Logan/Cerreta?! That was evil. I made a choice, but I'm not at peace with it. In the end, Huang tipped the scales.

• Like 2

I love this comment section so much. Where else would I be with people who understand that Shambala Green and Lainie Steiglitz picks almost make up for the lack of Jerry Orbach? Where people understand the value of ME Elizabeth Rodgers, or ask for a clarification on Ellen Pompeo's psychopath?

How are you all "listening" to this? Is there a podcast link I"m missing?

Never mind. Just call me Serena and ignore me.

• Like 3

Oh my yes there is a podcast. Extra Hot Great up under podcasts.

I am looking forward to the Star Trek one as my Law and Order knowledge lasted only a little longer than Dave. For this I am voting for the one where I can recognize the most cast members and that's Alan's with Lenny Brisco and Jack McCoy.

Can I just say I would have picked Randy Dworkin as a defense attorney? As played by Peter Jacobson? One of my absolute favourite lawyers to ever appear on any L&O show? Based on everything that makes this country not Iraq?

FYI, we're already working on the Star Trek one!

I haven't watched much L&O recently so I was out of my element on this one. But, the Star Trek one has got me crazy excited already.

• Like 2

No DA Arthur Branch? I had to go with Lennie Briscoe, but if Branch had been in another list, I would have had to think a lot more about it.

Any lineup that doesn't include Briscoe is automatically disqualified. As Auntlada said, I would've preferred Branch, but I'm pretty happy with the selection overall.

• Like 1

I feel like Mr. Sepinwall having Lennie Briscoe, Jack McCoy, Claire Kincaid, Connie Rubirosa and Elizabeth Rodgers on his team is the equivalent of having Adrian Peterson, Cam Newton, Todd Gurley II, Tom Brady, and the Carolina defense on your fantasy football team.  Like, you can sleep for the rest of the season and you'll still win.

My only quibble is I would take as a defendant Rev. Billy Skags (Law & Order:  SVU 11-14:  "Savior") just because Lee Tergesen and Christopher Meloni had the most homoerotic interrogation scene ever.

Yes, I tweeted a link, but I think I should have won the second I was able to draft Lennie Briscoe third overall, let alone when I managed to assemble a roster featuring him, McCoy as EADA, Goren, Kincaid, etc.

I'm very happy with my team, is what I'm saying. Perhaps insufferably so.

As someone who couldn't BELIEVE it got to third pick before someone chose the late, GREAT Lennie Briscoe, it's why you got my vote.  (Also, Goren and Eames do not hurt.)

I was thinking about this on my commute (...as you do) and I pose this question:

Leaving obvious answer Lennie Briscoe aside, who would you all have taken as your first pick?

I think I might have gone Schiff.

Edited by TeeVee329

I just can't vote for Al because of Nicole Wallace and Olivia Benson.  The former I find a very overrated nemesis, and they didn't know when to let it be - they kept bringing her back.  Ugh.  If it had just been the one episode I would have liked her better.  I used to like Olivia, but when she was chasing after her maybe half brother and running illegal dna tests and covering for him and all sorts of other stuff I just couldn't take it anymore.  And yes, I know all people on all the shows break the law and this isn't mimicking real life, but I found that arc so over the top I just couldn't suspend disbelief anymore.   Those 2 picks override all the others, even my favorite ADAs (Executive and Jr).

So I picked Dave's lineup.  It's a losing battle, I know, but these are the picks that made me vote for Dave.

DETECTIVES Kevin Bernard, Fin Tutuola, Cyrus Lupo, Carolyn Barek, Ronnie Brooks, Rex Winters
DISTRICT ATTORNEY Adam Schiff
EXECUTIVE ADAS Ben Stone

JUDGES Jamie Ross
SHRINK George Huang

I love me some Huang!  and Lupo and Bernard! and Ben Stone!

• Like 1