Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: KSR

Annoying judge finally made a good decision.  There was no reason for the jury to convict that guy.  Why didn't Luca follow up the witness' statement, which he made several times, "If he had written me," with the question, "but he didn't write you, correct?"

ALL of Lockhart/Aggos associates leave to go to the very same law firm, which is, of course, Cannings, and then ALL of them fall for Cary's trick, and decide to return to Lockhart/Aggos?  I'm amazed the writers didn't try to drag Alicia and Luca onto this case to.

Six years to late Eli confesses, and years to late Alicia might finally get around to divorcing Peter.  Alicia should have divorced Peter in Season One, Will or no Will.  She should divorce Peter now, Jason or no Jason, Finn or no Finn.  Alicia is wasting her life staying married to Peter.

• Love 9

Alan Cummings was amazing tonight. Such a great performance from him.

The COTW, not important. The judge moving from bond court to a bench, not important. Cary getting back at the newbies, fun, but not important.

Watching the final 5 minutes, now THAT was the show I used to love. The one that broke my heart, made me laugh, and cry and wait anxiously for the next episode. Eli and Alicia, his confession, her face, the realization that she could have had a life with Will, it was breathtaking.

We don't need silly plots, or stunt casting, or characters doing u-turns out of the blue. We need that kind of writing and acting.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 14

Watching the final 5 minutes, now THAT was the show I used to love. The one that broke my heart, made me laugh, and cry and wait anxiously for the next episode. Eli and Alicia, his confession, her face, the realization that she could have had a life with Will, it was breathtaking.

Not to be a downer and see conspiracies everywhere.  But they just severed Alicia's last tie with the rest of the main cast.  Eli was the only one that Alicia interacted with every episode.  That's over.

• Love 8

Can someone explain this timing to me?

1.  Jason is in Alicia's house.  He leaves the book, turning Alicia to his defendant's wife.  Exit Jason, who tells Eli he has left something for Alicia.

2.  Eli enters Alicia's house.  He snoops around.  Doesn't find the book.

3.  Enter Alicia.  Eli and Alicia bicker.  Alicia sees the book that Jason left for her.  Alicia tells Eli to leave her house because she has a "Client" - the defendant's wife, who is suddenly in Alicia's house, waiting to speak to her.  How the hell did Alicia know to get her there before the book?

note.jpgluca.jpg

The second pic is just the dress of Luca's that I really liked.  They always put Luca in either short or long sleeve dresses in simple silhouettes with crazy colours or prints.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

So does this mean that Alicia will never be allowed to share the screen with Eli again? Because that would really suck. That being said, what a great scene. I literally dropped my jaw hearing Eli confess. 

The rest was...alright. At least Carey got something decent to do. I thought for a second, when Carey saw all the phones lined up, that it was some weird dream sequence. 

• Love 2

Cripes, I had forgotten all about that erased email.  As they were zooming in on Eli's face and you could see he was about to say something, I was thinking,

"what? WHAT?"

Well thirty seconds before the scene started (while Eli was listening to his voice mail) I somehow became completely and absurdly convinced that Eli and Alicia were going to drown their miseries over their potential love interests and have sex by the end of the episode.  So I was thinking OMG! OMG!  

Funnily I have as little idea on how  this show can continue with the Eli/Alicia severed over the Will voicemail as I can with them being forced to explain boom chica bow wow to Peter.

• Love 4

The rest was...alright. At least Carey got something decent to do. I thought for a second, when Carey saw all the phones lined up, that it was some weird dream sequence. 

The way it was filmed (or that I was watching American Horror Story earlier) had me thinking Cary was going to find bodies.  I didn't get the air conditioning or whatever it was blowing out of the table.  I thought it would start spewing blood or something.  It took me a stupid long time to think that they were doing a retread of Alicia and Cary leaving.  I was expecting a serial killer from cases of yore killed the first years and lined their phones up in an OCD little row.

It was a very weird episode for me.  But it was probably more me than the episode.

I also expected Alicia to have sex with the investigator before he left town despite him never showing any awareness in Aliicia's interest in that direction.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

He told Alicia about how, in the season 1 finale, he deleted the voicemail Will left Alicia saying he loved her. Personally, I think it's strange for the writers to bring that up now. How are we supposed to get invested in Alicia and Jason if they keep reminding us of Will, an developed character rather than a nothing with a mysterious past they have to keep teasing to make the audience care. 

Also, I like how the writers got around bringing in Monica to the firm even though she wasn't the most qualified. Clever, writers. Much better than having the Biffs inexplicably being incompetent. (Well, they sort of were in that they fell for Cary's trick, but that was more greed than incompetence). But why did everyone keep talking about a generation gap? That had nothing to do with anything. Is the audience supposed to think the Biffs did what they did because they're young and young people are ungrateful? That makes no sense. In the past 6 years there have been how many partnership-related power plays? Why bring age into this?

• Love 2

I was sure Eli was going to say "I think you should divorce Peter." Or because it's Eli something more like "It would be okay if you divorced Peter." But instead he really reached deep in their history- was not expecting that.

Hope the blond mom has a restraining order against the creepy doctor. Hate to think he would decide it was a good idea to go to her house and apologize. Take up yoga or kickboxing or writing fiction but leave real people you know out of it.

• Love 1

Those last five minutes were so good. I've always maintained that Eli has been team Alicia over team Peter long before Peter hired Ruth. Eli likes her and wants her to be happy. Seeing him come clean was powerful and so full of tension. He's probably going to get Kalinda'd which sucks because as this episode showed, characters that have history with each other interact much more dynamically than new characters that have only been around a year or two.

I want to hope that Alicia would have learned that not forgiving your friends leaves you isolated and alone, but since Alicia is an actually Saint who has never made a mistake or done something cruel in her life, Eli will be dead to her and the last truly interesting relationship on this show will be gone.

As for the other part of the show, LAL must be incompetent to not have anyone notice that the associates had never done any work on the Dipple filing. Not a single partner checked over any drafts, asked to see any work product or sat in the room for the five seconds it would take to see that those boys were doing nothing? I'm sad Cary and Diane won. They fucked up and deserved to suffer the consequences.

Alicia's client was a disgusting human being but I kind of do think the judge was right to vacate the verdict. That judge plays slimy so well. I think the thing that really bugged me is that there is no way with Peter running for President, Alicia can defend that asshole and the biggest worry Ruth has is Jason.

I love Alan Cumming and that work at the end of the episode was top notch as was his work when Vanessa Williams rejected him in the hallway, but he and VW had negative chemistry when they were in bed together. I loved Eli with America Ferrera, loved him with the ex wife, but these two never really convinced me of an attraction.

And finally, in the most important storyline of the night, I think Jackie should have a prenup too. Peter's instinct to protect her assess is absolutely correct. She spent her life playing "good wife" and then "good mother" so she should protect what she's earned.

• Love 8

I want to hope that Alicia would have learned that not forgiving your friends leaves you isolated and alone, but since Alicia is an actually Saint who has never made a mistake or done something cruel in her life, Eli will be dead to her and the last truly interesting relationship on this show will be gone.

As for the other part of the show, LAL must be incompetent to not have anyone notice that the associates had never done any work on the Dipple filing. Not a single partner checked over any drafts, asked to see any work product or sat in the room for the five seconds it would take to see that those boys were doing nothing? I'm sad Cary and Diane won. They fucked up and deserved to suffer the consequences.

Alicia seems to like isolated and alone.  I wonder how they are going to continue to explain the continuation of the Florrick marriage now that even Eli is against it.

They are certainly playing up the idea that the LAL partners are relics.  There was a line from the new hire that basically implied that they were all out of touch and overthinking everything because they just needed one form or something.

• Love 2

Yes, Alicia basically left her husband to be with Will, and that did not work out, so it's not like that phone message was a fork in the road.  It was a betrayal, no mistake about it, but she got to explore her relationship with Will.

What on earth was that applause at the jury verdict?  And their boos when the judge vacated the order?  We had seen zero public interest in this case, so who is the phantom audience that we never saw, but which we heard cheering?  We heard it right before the break, and after the break, and I thought it was going to be some sort of dream sequence because the noise was so out of character.  Also agree that the opening with the empty office and weird angle on the aligned cell phones looked like it was going to be a horror scene. 

• Love 7
She had multiple opportunities to have a life with Will.

Thanks, for a moment I thought Alicia and I were thinking about different shows. The Will she/won't she thing used to annoy, so here's hoping she gets over the shock, I doubt that was the first or last lie he told her.

• Love 3

I get Alicia's anger at Eli over what he did, but I agree w/ everyone else, if she wanted to be w/ Will she would have.  She was the one who chose to end things w/ him, even after her kids, well Grace anyways, gave their blessing for just wanting their mom to be happy.  I will be curious as to where Alicia will direct her wrath about this revelation...I can see Peter getting the brunt of it, but then that would mean that JM would have to share the screen w/ cast members from the previous season of this show.

• Love 9

Alicia heard Will's vm, had an affair with him, and broke up with him. Alicia knew how Will felt about her because he told her and still chose Peter at every juncture.

Finding out he deleted the e-mail was upsetting, but he only told her a subset of things she should know. Eli didn't tell her about Peter being involved in the voting machine scandal.

• Love 10

Yes, I thought she had eventually heard the voicemail from Will -- did Eli save it rather than delete it?  And she found it much later?  Am I dreaming this memory?!

Also, Vanessa Williams went away "for a year"??? Where is she, the International Space Station?  No one goes away for a year who has access to commercial and private jets.  And I thought she had invested in Peter's campaign. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 10

I had to watch it on the DVR but my husband watched it live. I just finished watching it. That's some fucked up shit Eli! I was shocked. I was wondering why my husband was rewatching it with me, he wanted to see my reaction. - off to read this thread now....

She never heard the voicemail. A few episodes into season 2, Alicia asked Will what was in the voicemail and he told her it was nothing. (Although she heard Will talking about it in a wiretap). So they could drag out the will-they-won't-they until we were all sick of it. Still better than whatever they're trying to do with Jason. It's like they're scared to write him as anything because actually getting to know him might break the fantasy. So all we get are looks and what I assume is supposed to be flirty banter. 

They are certainly playing up the idea that the LAL partners are relics.  There was a line from the new hire that basically implied that they were all out of touch and overthinking everything because they just needed one form or something.

I don't know what they're doing. I get they wanted to bring in Monica, but why has there been so many plots about age cohorts this season. Cary is having a quaterlife crisis (because being a name partner is just sooooo burdensome), Howard is out of touch, no, Diane is out of touch, no, Carey wants to bond with the new associates, no, Diane wants to mentor them, no, Diane hates them. Ugh. Them trying to cut a better deal with Canning was interesting (since this show has a history of showing successful lawyers trying to cut each other out from businesses). We keep seeing firms merging and splintering and people making carious deals with each other, so it was great that the Biffs were doing it too. It fit in with the character of the show. But if it's supposed to show something generational, I'm confused as hell. Because all those plots have been shit in the first place (like the snotty millennial associate Diane wanted to mentor, or Howard's ageism suit) and then petered out to nothing in the second place. 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 1

The main problem with the show is that Alicia and Lucca's little firm is just not dynamic or interesting enough to sustain interest. They need a bigger cast around them. And we are just seeing two totally split plot lines every week - Lockhart/Agos, and Alicia. They have zero connection to one another, they don't work together in any way, it's like watching two separate mini episodes of two different law firms jammed into one hour, and as a result everything on both sides feels less developed, important, or engaging. All of Eli's subplots work because they all tie into his relationship with Alicia - his girlfriend screws with her investigator, he is hatching a plot to make her a candidate, he ends up at her house for a drink with a big confession, etc. etc. I just can't figure out why I am supposed to care about Lockhart Agos if they have no connection to the main people on the show at all. We just have a story or case of the week at each firm, with no connection to one another. It wasn't conceived well. And the tension and energy surrounding the struggles at Florrick/Agos was a million times more interesting than Alicia's gig with Lucca. A duo with a humble practice fighting a new case each week does not an interesting hour of television make. It just feels.... small.

Edited by TVSallyS
  • Love 6

The COTW has a parallel IRL. It's the Cannibal Cop in NY--his name is Gilbert Valle. Only he knew his co-conspirator. Valle was a cop who accessed police records to get information on potential victims and built up profiles on them, to determine their patterns of daily living. He and his co-conspirator developed a list, focused on one person in particular and planned to kidnap, rape, murder and then eat her.

Same as in tonight's case, the jury voted to convict, the judge overturned the verdict. Fantasy isn't really donig the deed, apparently. These two lovelies weren't really in a conspiracy to kill and eat an unsuspecting woman.

He's now suing to get his job back with the NYPD.

Gee, I feel safe.

Edited by Rosebud1970
  • Love 6

Annoying judge finally made a good decision.  There was no reason for the jury to convict that guy.  

I was a wee bit confused on all this.  He seemed to do an about face after Alicia's first visit to chambers when she brought up the bribery sting and Eli saving his ass...did he take that as a request for a quid pro quo and do in kind, or to answer Alicia's question, did he rule that way based on the job they did? Prior to the meeting in chambers the Judge clearly has no use for the good doctor.  But afterwards, and I realize this comes with insight, he seemed biased towards him.

I thought the judge was perhaps influenced when he realized the guy was going to be convicted even though there was no evidence that he wanted to carry out the crime.  In a way, I thought he identified with him at that moment.  Remember, the Feds set up a sting to catch the judge taking bribes.  He claims he wouldn't have taken any regardless of whether Eli had warned him (I don't think we really know whether he would have or not). Now he's looking at this case and the prosecutors arrested this guy before he took any overt acts in furtherance of his crime and flashes back to them trying to set him up.  I know this is likely an apples to oranges comparison, but that's the thought that struck me watching him arrive at his decision to allow language for the jury instructions as to what 'intent' means and led him to make his decision to override the jury verdict.

• Love 7

I also think we're not supposed to know for sure, just like Alicia doesn't know for sure. How much of that was the judge upholding the law vs the judge identifying with the defendant vs the judge paying Alicia back for saving him from a bribery charge? We don't know but I do think it was a bit of everything. The jury instructions laid out precedent and the jury didn't make their decision based on the law. It was nice for the judge that the law lined up with how he wanted to rule anyhow for several personal reasons.

Also, who were Alicia and Luca trying to kid with that move at the beginning. The bad doctor had a 10:00 am court time. His surgery was on hour five at that point, so the doctor scheduled a 5:00am surgery on the day he had to appear in court? Obviously he was in surgery since he was arrested leaving the OR, but there's no way he wasn't at work either as a stalling tactic or to garner sympathy. That was all about reminding the court that their client "does important work" and "saves lives."

Also, Vanessa Williams went away "for a year"??? Where is she, the International Space Station?  No one goes away for a year who has access to commercial and private jets.  And I thought she had invested in Peter's campaign. 

Of course she could to be back in Chicago at some point over the next year if she wanted to, it's just that she doesn't really want to. That's the sort of thing you say to someone when you want to blow them off and end something casual. Courtney saw Eli as some fun while it lasted while he got very emotionally invested. Even if he moved to California, I don't see them lasting because Courtney isn't into him as anything more than some short-term fun.

I get Alicia's anger at Eli over what he did, but I agree w/ everyone else, if she wanted to be w/ Will she would have.  She was the one who chose to end things w/ him, even after her kids, well Grace anyways, gave their blessing for just wanting their mom to be happy.  I will be curious as to where Alicia will direct her wrath about this revelation...I can see Peter getting the brunt of it, but then that would mean that JM would have to share the screen w/ cast members from the previous season of this show.

Her wrath is being directed at Eli. That's why she snatched the drink out of his hand and kicked him out of her house and life. We've seen over and over with Alicia that while she's totally willing to keep circling around with Peter who cheated on her (with more people than he originally admitted to) and lied to her about it, embarrassed her publically, put himself in a position where he was vulnerable to being sent to jail, cost her their family home and her security she will not tolerate anything that even resembles betrayal from anyone else in her life.

When Alicia found out about Peter and Kalinda, she punished both at first, but eventually it was Kalinda who was shut out of her life while Peter is still her sex buddy. She went off and started her own firm and somehow she felt she was the wronged party when Will and Diane felt betrayed. Now, despite her running for office without talking to Cary and Diane, she harbours a grudge against them because her own choices created a situation where she could not land softly back at the firm she all but abandoned only a few years after starting it. Zack's girlfriend and her family chose to terminate an unexpected teen pregnancy and because she wasn't told, she cut Zack out of her life. If Alicia and Eli ever talk again it will only be in front of Peter and the campaign staff to keep up her own image, but their strange friendship is over. That's how Alicia rolls.

• Love 18

I was a wee bit confused on all this.  He seemed to do an about face after Alicia's first visit to chambers when she brought up the bribery sting and Eli saving his ass...did he take that as a request for a quid pro quo and do in kind, or to answer Alicia's question, did he rule that way based on the job they did? Prior to the meeting in chambers the Judge clearly has no use for the good doctor.  But afterwards, and I realize this comes with insight, he seemed biased towards him.

This is exactly my take on it.  Without a doubt in my mind, the judge saw Alicia as maybe a threat to him, so he vacated the verdict in her favor.  Even when she went back into his chambers after the verdict, he said something like "just say thank you".  PS.  You just can't knock on a judge's door and he's right there.  Cook County Administrative Assistants are guard dogs to their bosses.  I know this, because it too am a guard dog.

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 2

Usually I can ignore it but the WIGS! The wigs last night were terrible! And they only highlighted how gaunt Alicia is looking these days.

What happened to this show? The last five minutes were awesome thanks to AC but great, I guess we'll get more Wronged Alicia  when she conveniently forgets that she had already turned down Will's plea -- minutes before -- that voicemail was left. Remember "I need a plan"?, Alicia? And how you shrugged off Will even meeting your kids? But no, it's Evil Eli's fault that she's as isolated as ever and "graduated" to tequila from wine. Ugh please no.

I wish there were more heat between AC and VW because I was here for it but there just wasn't. AC sold it like hell and I wanted her for Eli's sake but with Courtney and Jason both leaving town this ep they feel like yet another experiment that fizzled.

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 5

The thing with Will's message was that Alicia had given him an ultimatum essentially, "I need to know you have a plan (about us)." He initially wasn't sure, but the call was telling her "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Because he didn't call her with that (so far as she knew) she "chose" Peter.

Now, I wasn't vested in them getting together, and until Eli opened his mouth I had forgotten about that.

And I was screaming at my TV, "Don't tell her, Eli, stop! Don't tell her!" almost in tears of frustration that he wouldn't listen.

My dog thinks I'm nuts - but darn if I wasn't right that Eli should have kept his mouth shut,.

The thing with Will's message was that Alicia had given him an ultimatum essentially, "I need to know you have a plan (about us)." He initially wasn't sure, but the call was telling her "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Because he didn't call her with that (so far as she knew) she "chose" Peter.

Now, I wasn't vested in them getting together, and until Eli opened his mouth I had forgotten about that.

And I was screaming at my TV, "Don't tell her, Eli, stop! Don't tell her!" almost in tears of frustration that he wouldn't listen.

My dog thinks I'm nuts - but darn if I wasn't right that Eli should have kept his mouth shut,.

• Love 3

But ... a conspiracy charge is for conspiring -- the deed itself doesn't actually need to have taken place, right? ("Conspiracy charges are charges that a person has entered into an agreement with another person to commit a crime or an illegal act. A successful conviction for a conspiracy charge requires that an act was taken to begin carrying out the agreement.") I would think writing the other guy to make plans constitutes an "act," at least according to all the true crime, murder for hire shows I've watched.

Also, kill, sedate, rape was bothering me because it's out of sequence. No need to sedate a dead person.

I never liked Will and hated Will and Alicia together, so a big fat whatever to Alicia deciding in retrospect that her decision not to be with Will was Eli's fault. Take some damned responsibility for your actions, Alicia!

$50K isn't much for two months of dedicated consulting work. Diane was paying Jason $250/hour, as I recall.

• Love 6

Not to be a downer and see conspiracies everywhere.  But they just severed Alicia's last tie with the rest of the main cast.  Eli was the only one that Alicia interacted with every episode.  That's over.

It's been painfully obvious that they are running out of ways to keep Eli involved. It really is starting to feel like Eli is going to leave at the end of the season. He's lost interest in politics and Peter has relegated him to the sidelines.

The self-righteousness of Alicia is so off-putting.

My husband says she always has a look on her face like she's smelling a fart.

I was going to say.... See below...lol

So she went to the Joey Tribbiani school of acting?

Oh, you beat me to this.... Lol

I did a literal jaw drop for the last minute or so. I mean, it wasn't Will being shot in a courtroom, but the emotional impact of Eli's admission of what he'd done to Will and Alicia all those years ago was almost as unexpected.

Also, someone give Alan Cumming his dang Emmy already!

• Love 2