Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E12: We Got A Chance, Baby!

• Start Topic

This wasn't nearly as fun an ending as TAR25 last year . . . but it  might have to hold us if the upcoming season tanks.

I don't see much to get upset about a Kelsey/Joey win, aside from their overall blandness and hateable caps. I don't think any other winning team had to eat so many second-place finishes before prevailing in the end. Good for them.

Justin and Diana will be back. There will be an "All-Star" or "Unfinished Business" season down the road, and they'll be in it. I don't find Justin to be that odious. That said, he should have paid the cabbie to stay. Seriously, I wouldn't mind them being back. Think about the hostages Justin would take if he and Diana got snubbed.

Shut up, Logan & Chris. Just shut up. I'd like the stars to turn the tables on those two, throwing their bad/embarrassing behavior in their faces. I would've bet that Phil would move the party to where they were working on the chairs. Ugh to both of 'em.

WTF with the lack of updated credits? We could have been spared at least one Justin crying jag. At least the final leg design was sound, and the finale was thrilling. Here's hoping TAR28 can live up to this season.

• Love 6

As soon as I realized that Kelsee and Joey had the only 'talking head' segments that were being shown, it was quite obvious they would be the winners. I call shame on the editors for that. Surely they could have danced around that to make it more suspenseful (I realize they couldn't use Justin's because of tears, but...).

That said, I liked the final leg design. Multiple memory challenges, physical tasks, and opportunities to catch up and fall behind. I admittedly was rooting for the green team, but am happy that Kelsee and Joey were able to win as well.

This season was overall good. The South America legs were kind of weak, but the challenge level picked up significantly once teams hit Europe. We really needed a driving let or three though. Guess Ford wasn't happy with any returns the sponsorship was generating.

In the talking head, to me she seemed pretty upset, so I took it that they had lost.  In retrospect, I think she was just exhausted and emotional, but I didn't assume they had won.

I'd disagree that the individual challenges got better -- they generally seemed pretty straightforward without a lot of chance of shuffling.  But I like the way they mixed things up a bit, with the extra U Turn and the change in the Express Passes.  I got tired of seeing the team that won the Express Pass in the first round hang on to it over and over again, and forcing teams to use it fairly early and then pass it on seems like a good change.

I agree that I'd like to see more driving, and if they can't get a car company to go along, then at least force teams to navigate by foot and bike and boat.

• Love 4

The fact that Justin being a dick to a cabbie screwed his chances, is glorious. If he just gave a bit, talked a bit nicer, he would have won.

And not just that, he screwed Chris and Logan too by chasing off their taxi by being a dick. They're the ones who should be pissed. 

And really, rhyming off all the things you won, the money, the trips, and still being a bitter bitch by stating 'but it's not a million' when other teams won absolutely nothing? Get over yourself.

I think his behavior with the cabdriver had a lot to do with his "I lived in New York for 20 years" bull, like he was trying to show off that he knew how to handle the service people.  I am sooooo glad that his loss ultimately was due to his own shenanigans. 

As far as his rundown of prizes, that didn't surprise me.  There was that one leg when they came in and Phil said something like, "You know what that means?", to which Justin blurted out something like "You're going to give us something!".  That was when I started to seriously dislike him and hope that a jerk like that didn't win the whole thing. 

• Love 16

Why didn't Justin keep his cab? It was crazy! And then even though Chris and Logan's cab probably left because he didn't want to take them to Belmont, I liked the way the editing made it seem like it was Justin's jerkiness.

But how many finales have come down to taxi luck? I'm just glad for that crooked chair back.

• Love 4

I thought this was a nice callback to the first season, when frank was so sure they would win because they were from new York. And hey, Mr. Amazing Race expert, you obviously missed the very important lesson on cabbie karma. For reference, see pretty much every season.

• Love 13

I did enjoy Logan and Chris being very self-aware at the end. I think they would be a blast to have a few drinks with (RIP TARCon...).

I knew Justin and Diana were hated around the internet (well Justin at least), but guess hadn't realized the extent of it. I guess I just don't mind the loud personalities. Kind of reminds me of the Twinnies in a way (minus the money theft). I appreciate that they are huge fans of the show and not afraid to mention it.

That said, I thought Justin spent way too much time at the final task watching every single thing Joey was doing. I realize his dream was potentially crumbling right before his eyes, but you've gotta focus on your own race to have a chance at victory. That in my opinion was his biggest mistake.

• Love 4

I thought this was a nice callback to the first season, when frank was so sure they would win because they were from new York. And hey, Mr. Amazing Race expert, you obviously missed the very important lesson on cabbie karma. For reference, see pretty much every season.

I know!  I immediately thought about Frank.  As soon as Justin started bragging about how they had it over the other teams because of his familiarity with NY I figured there was a good chance they were losing.

• Love 4

Justin's hometown is the Bronx.   And they're racing on Long Island to the finish line.

Uh-huh.

Frank from season 1, Will in Season 2, Justin now...I think there has been maybe 1 instance of a racer from the final city where they won.  Besides a "superfan" knows that you want to keep your cab as long as you can especially on the final leg.  

• Love 5

It really really bothered me that there was not a single driving leg!  I hope that is corrected in the future.

Logan specifically said that the rules allowed you to steal another team's cab.  But Joey said something like we still owe him (meaning the driver).  So they could steal the cab or not?  I laughed when Joey opened the door and barked at Chris to get the hell out. 

And there was still too much Justin at the end!  He was the loser and we had what seemed endless clips of him crying and running his mouth.  I cannot stand him.

• Love 6

So long, Justin! So long, Justin's breasts!

Never liked you, couldn't stand you. Hope Diana dumps your phony, narcisisstic ass and you live a life of lonliness and desolation.

You wrecked this season of TAR and the only bright spot was seeing you lose, loser.

Hope to never see you again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

It really really bothered me that there was not a single driving leg!  I hope that is corrected in the future.

Logan specifically said that the rules allowed you to steal another team's cab.  But Joey said something like we still owe him (meaning the driver).  So they could steal the cab or not?  I laughed when Joey opened the door and barked at Chris to get the hell out. 

And there was still too much Justin at the end!  He was the loser and we had what seemed endless clips of him crying and running his mouth.  I cannot stand him.

Have no proof one way or the other whether you can steal a cab or not "legally" on TAR....however, there have been many drivers who refused to be coerced/hijacked by another team when they were waiting for a specific team.  But I love that Joey and Kelsey just went right after Chris/Logan with no hesitation and grabbed the cab back!

• Love 7

For my money, there will never be a more odious contestant than the doctor from a few seasons back who berated his doctor wife constantly. Justin was annoying, but not nearly as terrible as so many other contestants. The intense hatred is baffling to me, but YMMV.

Edited because I thought of my real most odious person.

Edited by Bluegirl547
  • Love 5

In a rare moment, Karma makes an appearance on the Amazing Race...and bitch-slaps the undeserving. 

So Justin, en route to a big win, stiffs the cabbie a few bucks, and loses a million. Oh, how sweet it is. 

Go ahead, baby, keep crying. And cry some more.

I bet Diana's ride home with Justin was less than cheery. Wonder if they tried to catch a cab.

The green team has finally provided me with some entertainment. 

Happy enough for Joey and Kelsey...I still have no idea who they really are, but they were competent racers, and were civll and polite to one another and to others.

Good for you. Enjoy the cash.

And the paps continue to live in Bickertown. So be it.

• Love 8

I didn't like any of the last three teams, but it surprised me how much I disliked Kelsey and Joey. Although I hate when cabs are stolen, I believe it's legal in the race. I've never seen a punishment handed out for it. But Joey's whole macho act of telling them to get the hell out, then spending the rest of the ride bragging about how he would have left them in a pile on the ground. Barf. Bet he wouldn't have acted like that with team Texas.

Then Kelsey constantly yanking at the bootie shorts that she somehow thought would be appropriate, and bragging about their superior intelligence - well I just hate that. When you're intelligent, there's no need to constantly remind people of how smart you are and how dumb others are. And then his bragging as he screws up the chairs. And why was Kelsey doing all the yanking on the lobster traps while he seemed to think he was the anchor in a tug of war contest?

I always thought Kelsey ran like a seventy year old osteoporotic woman because of the heavy backpacks. But she runs like that all the time. I'm going to stop right here in case she has some sort of disability I'm unaware of.

It was nice to hear Justin giving Diana props at the end, and I'm happy that he realizes their loss is completely due to his mistake in treating the cabbie poorly. Hopefully this will save her a lifetime of taking the blame.

Joey - maybe you can use your million dollars to free your mother from laundering your underwear, even if she really, really likes doing it.

• Love 5

So are you saying that the producers designed the finale for New York before the season even began to give the win to Justin?

I doubt it happens that way.   I have seen that there's been instances of F3 where the final destination was one of the teams' home town-  Amani and Marcus in Atlanta (season 19)... and they came in 3rd

• Love 1

As soon as I realized that Kelsee and Joey had the only 'talking head' segments that were being shown, it was quite obvious they would be the winners. I call shame on the editors for that. Surely they could have danced around that to make it more suspenseful (I realize they couldn't use Justin's because of tears, but...).

It looked to me like when Kelsey was talking she was trying to hold back a huge smile, so that to me was a pretty big indicator that they had won.

I too liked that there were multiple different memory challenges (with a few twists like the capitals of every country, even if you didn't visit the capital of that country) and some of the memory tasks were right after some pretty rough physical tasks (like the helmets and the flag thing).

• Love 2

One thing that I fail to understand is that after knowing that his taxi driver did not know / did not want to go to Belmont, why did Justin not take the cab anyway and go to a city center where he could have changed the taxi? Why let the taxi go?

And yeah, nickel and diming the taxi driver while the hoping of winning big money is never good...

• Love 11

I got so excited when I realized that Keley and Joey were going to win that my cat jumped off my lap.

Justin was so annoying during the last challenge. He spent more time checking in on the it other

team than focusing on the task at hand.

And his crying when he lost was just too dramatic for me.

Edited by Pepper the Cat
  • Love 5

Forgot to add, Kelsey and Joey did the thing I hate when waiting for a judge to make a decision - it's beautiful (yelled loudly), look how perfect it is. I've always hated that. Just one step up from the pathetic hands fisted in prayers while begging. Both are attempts to coerce the judge and I wish they would just shut up and wait for the judge to speak. They're all lucky that the judge actually pointed out their mistakes.

• Love 1

One thing that I fail to understand is that after knowing that his taxi driver did not know / did not want to go to Belmont, why did Justin not take the cab anyway and go to a city center where he could have changed the taxi? Why let the taxi go?

That wasn't Justin's cab though.  That one was waiting for Logan & Chris.    So it appears that Justin was ready to steal another team's cab at that point but failed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know that in my town cabbies will tell each other about people who stiff them. I have to wonder whether Justin's justifiably angry cab driver didn't get on the radio and tell everyone else not to pick up the green idiot with the camera crew, because the other cab seemed happy enough to go to Belmont as soon as it was someone else asking. Also, the cabbies never told Justin they were waiting for someone else - they just tried to avoid eye contact as much as possible.

I just love that Justin went out on his own mistake, and that the paparazzi stayed true to their bickering selves right to the end. Otherwise, what a sad season - watching the previouslies, it was almost as though the teams went out in order of likability (TMZ excluded).

Edited by Thog
  • Love 10

Logan specifically said that the rules allowed you to steal another team's cab.  But Joey said something like we still owe him (meaning the driver).  So they could steal the cab or not?  I laughed when Joey opened the door and barked at Chris to get the hell out.

I do wonder if a team has their stuff in a cab that was waiting for them and another team steals it, does it result in a penalty?  We have seen a few instances of racers taking other people's cars that resulted in late check ins.  I missed a few minutes of the show so I don't remember if Joey/Kelsey had their gear with them for the final leg. 

• Love 1

I know that in my town cabbies will tell each other about people who stiff them. I have to wonder whether Justin's justifiably angry cab driver didn't get on the radio and tell everyone else not to pick up the green idiot with the camera crew, because the other cab seemed happy enough to go to Belmont as soon as it was someone else asking. Also, nobody ever told him they were waiting for someone else - they just tried to avoid eye contact as much as possible.

I just love that Justin went out on his own mistake, and that the paparazzi stayed true to their bickering selves right to the end. Otherwise, what a sad season - watching the previouslies, it was almost as though the teams went out in order of likability (TMZ excluded).

Now that you mention it, I bet that did happen. Great point. 

• Love 1

Seeing Justin weep made the season almost worthwhile. Almost because he has that laundry list of prizes to fall back on. And yet . . . that's not good enough for him. I understand being in it to win it, but boy, talk about being an ingrate. He had a once in a lifetime experience (though because of the strong feelings he generates, they may get a second shot in an All Stars bid) and tens of thousands in prizes and he's still unhappy. I can't decide if it's his injured ego or if he was the kid who got the trophy just for showing up.

I had the sense that K&J and C&L's cabbies denied Belmont for Justin because they knew they were supposed to be waiting for their real fares. They may have found it easier to say "I don't know where that is/I can't use GPS" than be berated by someone for not taking them. (Because, really, I have a hard time believing neither cab driver knew where Belmont was and wouldn't/couldn't use the GPS).  At any rate, it's squarely on Justin's shoulders because he was too cheap to pay his own cab to wait. Not only does that seem like a rookie mistake to me, it also kind of flies in the face of his "we're golden because I'm a New Yorker" overconfident talk. It seems to me the drive to the training center, as well as the space itself, would kind of alert you to the potential problem of hailing a cab out there. What did he expect???

I got a little tired of hearing Joey and Kelsey get all pumped up about how they would have tossed Chris and Logan's asses out of the cab, but I also figured they were pretty amped on adrenaline at that point.

The mat kind of became an uncomfortable zone for me tonight. It was bad enough to see that Justin doesn't have it in him to be a gracious loser but Chris and Logan's mat chat with Phil was a little weird. I don't know how that would have been handled better, but that relationship seems toxic to me and really, how are they supposed to respond to those questions? I felt like it was their first therapy session or something.

It seems to me that Chris and Logan bumbled their way into the final three and I wonder if they were truly surprised by their showing. I can't even fathom running that race and 1) not getting acclimated to water, 2) not expecting to do something that tests your comfort with heights, 3) not knowing how to drive a stick shift and 4) not paying attention to where you raced and know the basics, including the flags. Chris admitted they hadn't paid attention to the memory task details which boggles my mind and makes me question whether they were ever really serious about the race until close to the end.

The other interesting thing about them was when he did the fireman training challenge, I had the sense he was having a difficult time following his lead's instructions but then he snapped out of it soon enough because this was some potentially dangerous stuff. It made me wonder if he ignores/tunes Logan out because she's Logan (God knows I would) or if it's part of how he's wired.

• Love 2

Did Logan tell Chris, "You're not a man"? God, they're both horrible people.

It was interesting that the flag task specifically said they could not use notes.

I'm surprised that Kelsey and Joey, as on-air television reporters, have tattoos all over their arms.

Chris and Logan, Africa is not a country.  Grrr.

• Love 4

This is a really dangerous challenge I cant believe they have them going in a burning building.

Not so dangerous.  Each racer was assigned a firefighter/trainer who stuck to him like glue, giving advice all the way "hold on to both ladder railings" etc.  Also that building was not really burning.  Those fires are lighted (and extinguished) over and over and over again as training devices.  They are just a little more dangerous than building a fire in your living room fireplace.  And the trainers were always close by with extinguishers and needed assistance. 

It was hot, and exhausting, and it was likely unpleasant...but no one was in more danger than on the average TAR challenge.

Justin could have been such a fan favorite.  Viewers really, really like racers who are also "fans".  Makes us feel like one of us might be racing and not just some pretty face that was "discovered" in some Hollywood bar.  If he had just had fun without all the bragging and "hoo-hooing" and crying and whining...

I have watched TAR every season, and sadly, I have forgotten most of the winners, but I can guarantee that I will long remember (with a gleeful smile) when the "superfan" lost because of stiffing the cabbie.   If he had just paid that guy an extra hundred to wait...but he lost $1,000,000 to save $100.  HAH!

• Love 18

Forgot to add, Kelsey and Joey did the thing I hate when waiting for a judge to make a decision - it's beautiful (yelled loudly), look how perfect it is. I've always hated that. Just one step up from the pathetic hands fisted in prayers while begging. Both are attempts to coerce the judge and I wish they would just shut up and wait for the judge to speak. They're all lucky that the judge actually pointed out their mistakes.

true but I've seen that in just about every Season I've seen of TAR up to this point (I'm still plodding through Season 3 right now), so Joey isn't alone.  Annoying yes but I can understand why they get so amped up and jump up and down, yell Amiiiiiigooooo or It's beautiful/perfect or pleasepleasepleasepleaaaaaaase! lol

• Love 3

Someone here said, a few episodes ago, that Justin was a great Racer only when they had a comfortable lead and he had time to think. But if they're under the gun, he loses all of his strategic ability and starts making dumb mistakes in his panic. I think that's what happened last leg (they were behind so all he heard was "Kowloon is closer" and didn't think about what the clue actually said) and that's what happened this leg (when he let their cabbie go even though they were in a fairly remote location). It's very satisfying to see him not win because of a mistake that a "superfan" shouldn't have made.

ETA: Just saw on Twitter: Logan said you can "steal" another team's taxi as long as their stuff isn't in it.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 7

Guys, why am I feeling some affection for Chris and Logan? They kind of remind me of real people instead of media personalities or wanna-be actors.

I'm glad Justin lost, but I kind of wish Chris and Logan won. Because they were the underdogs maybe?

• Love 7

So relieved.  If J&D had won this would have been a total, predictable waste.  Except it was fun, as always, to see the different locales.  

As soon as they reiterated very clearly at the beginning that J&D would be first, followed by Kelsey and Joey, and the paparazzi, I knew it *wouldn't* turn out that way and Kelsey and Joey would win.

Logan and Chris are clearly a made up couple just to get on the show; that was obvious the entire season, and Phil hinted at it at the finish line mentioned them seeming "incompatible".  I don't believe they have any prior romantic relationship at all.

I will promptly forget this season.  The winners were very un-memorable, and even up till a few weeks ago I was still wondering who they were when I saw them or heard them mentioned on these boards.  Not a good sign!  

Edited by awaken

Thank goodness for Diana's sake that it was Justin who screwed up and not she. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped Diana, however, in hopes of finding a "better" partner. Now that she's done the race with him, he doesn't need her any more. She was a great partner, actually, but I bet he ends up blaming her anyway.

Chris & Logan both agreed that they weren't breaking up ... but maybe they should. Yeah.

I think Justin is the first person I've ever seen who couldn't appreciate all the things he got to do and see. He just wanted money, and even the trips and stuff didn't make him happy. What a miserable human being.

I would have preferred that he won though, rather than risk seeing him again on all-stars.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 1

There was no way in hell that the cheerleaders could have completed the firefighter segment. The equipment, the would have worn out weighs either one of them. Full uniform plus tanks are over 100 lbs. Even though it would have been hot, it was no where as hot as the actual training. The firefighters equipment is rated for 1,000 degrees. The equipment was real but the dummies were not the actual dummies used. The real dummies weigh 165 lbs. The FDNY academy is affectionately known as The Rock and because my son-in-law took his FDNY training during July and August, his classmates were known as the Dogs of Summer. Could you imagine, after a day of traning in high heat, he still had to do a 6 mile run. In addition, the cheerleaders couldn't have done the lobster cage segment either. Not enough upper body or arm strength. I've done it and believe me I had forearms like Popeye after the summer. I give it the girls Kudos for completing the segment but they had the strength and weight of a man to anchor their efforts.

NYC cab drivers are very difficult to deal with. Most of them will not take you anywhere where they don't believe they could get a return fare. Also, Belmont is not in NYC, it's in Nassau County. They wouldn't be able to even pick up another fare until they reach the city line a few miles away. But with that said, I wonder how much that cab ride cost Kelsey and Joey because NYC cabs are metered and there is a charge for waiting. Maybe Justin should have used Uber. I'm also curious how the teams got on the bus because you need a metro pass or exact change of $2.75 (no bills accepted).

Nice to see Long Island as the final destination and three memory challenges to make things interesting.

• Love 9

I think Justin is the first person I've ever seen who couldn't appreciate all the things he got to do and see. He just wanted money, and even the trips and stuff didn't make him happy. What a miserable human being.

I would have preferred that he won though, rather than risk seeing him again on all-stars.

While the money is nice, it seems to me that he was more interested in being the bestest racer evah. He wanted to break Dave and Rachel's record, and get bragging rights that he was the best racer in the history of the race and go down in history. Well, he did kind of get his wish. He has put his name up there as Worst Contestant Ever and belongs in the Reality Hall of Shame as far as I'm concerned.

Loved seeing Justin go from this cocky overconfident dickweed into a crying mess. He started out being a jackwipe to his cabbie and it basically cost him the race. He was so smug with his whooping at finishing the fire station first and smugly declaring it was the Belmont Stakes. Then after they couldn't get a cab, he's still going on about how some horses start slow and finish first. Well, some horses start slow and finish second!

I really wish we got updated credits with scenes of the teams doing stuff in the race. I would have put crying Justin from the first episode as his clip.

As for Logan saying that cab was fair game since nobody's stuff was in it. That may be. But Chris was right. The cabbie wasn't going to take them, because he was waiting for Kelsey and Joey. Also, Kelsey said they hadn't paid him yet, so I doubt Logan and Chris would have paid on their behalf.

I liked the memory challenges, although they were way too easy for my liking. Capitals and flags and easy pictures of items? I liked the other seasons when it was hats and foreign phrases. On a future season I'd like to see plates of food. I did notice that the pictures for the beach chairs were different colours amongst the three teams, so they couldn't copy. That was a nice touch.

How on earth would a team like the cheerleaders be able to do that lobster cage task? Justin is fat and out of shape. But Joey is young and appeared to have significant biceps, and he was struggling. I can't imagine how the girl who was crying at how heavy the Jewish food was would be able to pull up those cages.

Congrats Joey and Kelsey. They ran a solid race and never fought and enjoyed themselves.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5

Happy enough for Joey and Kelsey...I still have no idea who they really are

This x1000. It makes me wish I hadn't deleted all the prior episodes off my DVR as soon as I watched, thanks to Justin.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened between Justin and the cab-driver.  I heard him say he'd give the cabbie $100 if he would wait, and didn't catch what the cabbie said or if he just hesitated, and the next thing was Justin saying, "OK, here's the $50 then."  Did anyone catch what went down more clearly?

• Love 2

That was a seriously hard finale.  I am impressed by the combination of physical and memory tasks.  So happy to see Joey and Kelsey win. 

Justin made two big mistakes.  The first was getting pissy with the cab driver.  Offer him the money if that’s what it takes.  It’s the last leg.  The driver was trying to screw them but acting like a toddler, stamping his feet and storming off didn’t help.  Why would the guy stay after that little performance from Justin?  The second was focusing more on seeing how K&J were doing rather than on building the chairs.  Buckle down buckaroo.  Also known as shut up and work.

• Love 2

The only positive that might come from Justin and Diana being on an All-Star season is watching them lose again. He is quite a douchebag. I can't stand people whose default key is "yelling and blaming" when things go awry. Sort of wonderful that they know the exact minute they lost the race because it will be like a recurring nightmare. Also hope their friends give them tons of shit about it.

• Love 3

I think Justin was going to give him $100 total for the legs the guy drove. The cabbie wanted $200, $100 then and $100 at the next destination. Justin gave him $50 and counted the toll money as part of the payment.

Joey and Kelsey got lucky that their driver stayed and refused to take Chris and Logan. He could have taken Chris and Logan because Joey and Kelsey did not leave anything in the cab. They got the one cabbie that was not a dick.

That said, Justin and Diana made up some serious time.

Thrilled that Joey and Kelsey won. I have to imagine that Justin was pretty awful because everyone seemed thrilled that Joey and Kelsey won.

• Love 4

OK, so I guess it's safe for me to watch now.

I'm on the West Coast and I checked here before I watched. If Justin had won, I wouldn't have watched.

The best part is that he didn't break any records. His cocky ass was so sure that they would break the record for leg wins and then win the whole thing, and neither one happened.

Neener neener you big cry baby.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16