Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Santa Barbara

I have some eps from 1989 that I've never seen before. I know 1989 was a terrible yr, but I was going to check it out anyway.

The one story I was going to skip was one with Heather, Scott, and Celeste? It seems like these characters come and go, so I'm not sure it's worth my time...

Any thoughts, anyone think I'm missing something super exciting?

Edited by cleo

Number 1 is.... Of course! I'm always surprised at how many people loved this show. But I think that just shows how antiqued the Nielsen ratings system was even back then. It was not properly showing how many people in the states watched this show. I remember people complaining about why such a low rated show won so many Emmy's. LOL, I think that they were just jealous their show hadn't won 3 Best Drama Series 3 years in a row.😊

• Like 2

Interesting list, but I think AMC and DOOL are rated too high. I think GL is better than both. I guess my list is 1. SB and 2. GL/GH. GL and GH are very different, I don't think I could say which one I liked better. But SB definitely no. 1 for me.

Havent seen the others though Dark Shadows and the Edge of Night look interesting.

Too bad we don't have a general soap discussion thread.

Edited by cleo

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, cleo said:

Interesting list, but I think AMC and DOOL are rated too high. I think GL is better than both. I guess my list is 1. SB and 2. GL/GH. GL and GH are very different, I don't think I could say which one I liked better. But SB definitely no. 1 for me.

Havent seen the others though Dark Shadows and the Edge of Night look interesting.

Too bad we don't have a general soap discussion thread.

I watch Dark Shadows on Amazon Prime. Although, I was old enough to watch it in it's original run I didn't. I think it was on at 4 and I was probably watching Match Game. LOL!!!! Anyway, it's great to watch and old time soaps for the first time and not know what's going to happen.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/02/santa-barbara-a-martinez-interview-cruz-eden-storyline-hated/

Santa Barbara Vet A Martinez Reveals the Cruz/Eden Plot He 'Hated,' Was 'Ashamed' of: 'I'll Never Get Over It'

By Michael Ausiello / August 2 2019, 4:22 PM PDT

Santa Barbara is widely considered to be one of — if not the — best soap opera that ever graced the daytime landscape. But as one of the series’ stars recently pointed out, the late, beloved NBC sudser was not immune to the occasional narrative misstep.

In a refreshingly candid Facebook Q&A, A Martinez — who won an Emmy for his portrayal of Cruz Castillo, soul mate to Marcy Walker’s Eden  — revealed that there is one Santa Barbara plot he was embarrassed to take part in.

“Pretty much the only thing I hated about [SB] — in fact I was ashamed that I did it — is when Eden came back [from the “dead”] disguised as another person to try to lead Cruz into the next stage of his life,” the actor shared of the 1991 arc that found the mentally ill Eden taking on the personality of a painter named Suzanne Collier. “She wore glasses and a [red] wig and we were supposed to pretend that Cruz would not know she she is when he danced with her. I was ashamed that I played that. I’ll never get over it. That was one of the weakest things I ever did as an actor.”

That one creative slip-up notwithstanding, Martinez stressed that he “loved” his time on the soap, which ran from 1984-1993. “You can be picky about it and look a gift horse in the mouth and all of that, but the truth is so much of the reason the [Cruz/Eden] relationship worked as well as it did was that the writers wrote us gloriously rich, sensitive [material],” he enthused. “We were so lucky. I want to be very careful not to fall prey to thinking ‘woulda-shoulda-coulda.’ We had a full meal for years. We were lucky.”

Martinez also divulged during the Q&A — which served to promote the forthcoming Santa Barbara-themed cruise — that the storyline he remains most proud of was the one that dealt with the aftermath of Eden’s rape. The landmark 1989 plot earned Santa Barbara eight Daytime Emmys, including Outstanding Drama Series and Outstanding Lead Actress for Walker. “It was a hideous thing that happened to that character,” Martinez admits, “but the way [Marcy] played it was off the charts great .”

You can watch Martinez’s full Facebook Q&A below.

• Like 2

I liked the Lisa storyline but the poor resoolutionand Suzanne Collier thing broke my 14 year old heart. Once I gave up on Eden coming back I stopped watching.

The travesty with Cruz and Kelly after was worse though and I am very thankful I never saw it lol.

I have a vague memory of SB in the later years although it got me to discover Eric Close who went on to have a solid primetime career. I even didn't mind Bridgette Wilson(now Sampras) either.

I didn't watch those years at all...I've thought about checking some of it out but haven't.

A Martinez seems like a great person.

So I got my hands on some 1989 eps which I've never watched. This is the first time I've seen Bunny and OMG he is my favourite secondary character. Unfortunately I think 1989 is toward the end of his time on the show. 

Actors play CC, Sophia, Julia still really bringing it. Mason as Sonny- Mason as Mason- LD seems off overall, and I'm distracted in his scenes by imagining that LD is probably thinking:

-WTF am I doing and

-how can I get out of here. 

And 1989 was indeed the year he left. 

The thing with Zack and the baby- that whole storyline from start to finish seems gross to me. 

• Like 1

This story with Adriana being dead or kidnapped is beyond stupid even for a soap. They make a big deal about her birthmark when she's born. Then she is kidnapped and they find another infant who died and assumed it is Adriana. Duh she she have a birthmark? Obviously not. They dont even check? It's such a glaring plothole. Not to mention some poor person has lost a child somewhere. Not sure they ever come back to that.

I dont expect a lot of realism in soaps, but this gap just seems too much.

Mason as Sonny is also a super dumb story but man any scene between NLG and LD is still great. Say what you will about NLG but she was/is a very good actress.

• Like 2

Checking into this thread after a long while . Kinda forgot it existed. 😉 

Does anyone remember when/how Julia found out that Chip was not Mason's biological son?

That really bothered me during that whole story line. Torri kept on throwing her son in Julia's face, saying he was the legitimate child and not a bastard/child out of wedlock. I wish Mason would have confided in Julia sooner.  I checked many YouTube vids but never saw a scene in which Julia finds out that Samantha is Mason's only biological child.  

Ah, good times. I love how in one episode, Tori and Mason ended up at the same Lamaze class as Julia, Eden, and Cruz...you can imagine all the awkward looks flying around...

Edited by Hiyo

7 hours ago, AllAboutEve said:

Does anyone remember when/how Julia found out that Chip was not Mason's biological son?

I assume she found out when everyone did, which I think was when Chip needed a bone marrow transplant or something? I'm not sure as I never watched those eps but I think that's how Eden found out. 

Tori was just exhausting and irritating. I blame the writers more than the actress, I mean they set her up to spoil C/E, spoil M/J and really no story or personality of her own. The lamaze class with all of them was indeed good though. 

Related to Tori it drove me nuts when Cruz (imo) raked Eden over the coals and was so unforgiving about Robert that she didn't throw Tori in his face. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cleo said:

Related to Tori it drove me nuts when Cruz (imo) raked Eden over the coals and was so unforgiving about Robert that she didn't throw Tori in his face

Yeah, but...Tori essentially raped Cruz to conceive Chip. If I recall, he suffered some sort of head injury, hallucinated that Tori was Eden, and things went from there. Sooo...I'm rather glad Eden didn't do that.

Of course, it was the '80s, and male rape probably wasn't considered valid, but that's essentially what it was.

• Useful 1

It wasn't the conception of Chip that bothered me, it was the months and months of Cruz prioritizing Tori before that. Like both C and E had histories with other people. But when Robert was around I thought some of Cruz's scenes where he was criticizing and castigating Eden were over the top.

I mean I assume I was in the minority, bc I understand the fanbase was upset about Robert as well? Regardless I thought there was a clear double standard in play with Cruz and Eden when it came to Tori and Robert. And not bc of chip but the respective relationships past and present.

Edited by cleo

10 hours ago, cleo said:

I assume she found out when everyone did, which I think was when Chip needed a bone marrow transplant or something? I'm not sure as I never watched those eps but I think that's how Eden found out. 

I think you're right. I vaguely remember a scene in a hospital waiting room with Julia and Mason.. don't think they made a big deal out of it.. it wasn't emphasized. 

17 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Ah, good times. I love how in one episode, Tori and Mason ended up at the same Lamaze class as Julia, Eden, and Cruz...you can imagine all the awkward looks flying around...

Still watch those scenes regularly on YouTube, some great stuff there.. and all the scenes of Julia denying that Mason was the father..  and then when she broke down and told him..

Paraphrasing..

J: What if had told you..

M: Well if you had...

J: If I had then what?? 

M: Silence..

The anguished look on Mason's face.. basically wanting to say that if Julia had told him from the beginning that she was pregnant he wouldn't have married Torri. But he can't say it cause;

A. He doesn't even know if that is true, would he have chosen Julia?
B. He can't tell Julia that the reason he married Torri was basically for money and to protect Eden.

I'm hoping only B but A is a strong possibility as well... Mason had a very selfish side.

Edited by AllAboutEve
  • Like 2

So I am continuing with 1989 and boy does it start getting bad.

Sandra the psychic- helping Cruz. At first it was fine but the actress has gotten increasingly over the top and bug eyed. I ff her a lot.

Of course ongoing Gina and CC fighting over Brandon. I was bored of this in 1985.

Megan meh. Although Sophia's expressions when she meets her are fun.

I ff through everything Scott and Pretty Woman related.

Michael and Laura- so so. As a child/teen watching I didn't like Michael. I have more appreciation for his character now and I would be into the story more if the actress playing Laura was better. I just don't buy she lost a son, it seems more like she lost her favourite pen or something.  But this is the only story so far where I'm not skipping parts.

Ted with some weird blonde woman. FF.

SB writers had a lot of glaring weaknesses, one of them was never really developing Ted much. 

I'm hoping it gets better when Ric and CG joins.

https://www.soapcentral.com/gh/news/2019/1025-nancy_lee_grahn_memoir.php

General Hospital's Nancy Lee Grahn writing memoir, promises juicy tales from the soap world

Soap opera fans can look forward to a shocking, tell-all book by Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis, General Hospital; ex-Julia Wainwright, Santa Barbara; ex-Beverly Wilkes, One Life to Live), who is in the middle of writing a memoir about her love life and experiences as a soap opera actress.
General Hospital actress Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis) has never been one to hold her tongue if she can help it, and it won't be any different when it comes to the juicy reveals set for her upcoming memoir.

Grahn took to social media to share that she is in the midst of writing a book about her life. And given the amount of honesty she dishes out each day on her Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages, the book will be a can't miss project that gives the real story of what it's like to be a part of the soap opera community.

"Much to tell and most of it I can't. But I am writing about it for hours at a time in my book. The good and the not so good," Grahn teases about the writing she's already started. "There are many times that I've had to hold my tongue, which as you can imagine is not an easy thing for me. Well, I won't be doing that in my book. I will tell tales about the loves of my life, and the not so much ones. I will spell out the names of the many that unconditionally helped build [my daughter] Kate and me, and misspell with enough room for you to make good educated guesses the names of the very few who pissed me off."

Interesting the Russians were so into SB. I actually bought the eps I have from someone there, a big fan.

I enjoyed Marj's many roles before Santa Barbara and after. A wonderful actress. RIP Marj Dusay.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, cleo said:

I would agree about GL.  Although with SB, its short run helps it out. 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:59 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I have a vague memory of SB in the later years although it got me to discover Eric Close who went on to have a solid primetime career. I even didn't mind Bridgette Wilson(now Sampras) either.

I had very little use for Eric Close on SB.  It's one of those scenarios, though, where I really enjoyed him once he hit prime time.

In more sad death news, Roscoe Borne has passed away. I loved Robert and Kelly.  Even Robert and Eden worked as an obstacle to Eden/Cruz.  Of course I rooted for Eden and Cruz but there was something compelling about Eden and Robert.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I would agree about GL.  Although with SB, its short run helps it out. 

I had very little use for Eric Close on SB.  It's one of those scenarios, though, where I really enjoyed him once he hit prime time.

In more sad death news, Roscoe Borne has passed away. I loved Robert and Kelly.  Even Robert and Eden worked as an obstacle to Eden/Cruz.  Of course I rooted for Eden and Cruz but there was something compelling about Eden and Robert.

SB was on its last legs at that point and he played much better characters later on in PT so I get that but for me back then he was one of the few things I liked at the end.

It's really sad seeing a lot if the SB actors pass away. I liked Robert and Eden, I wish they would have taken it further even if E and C were endgame.

• Like 1

I just read about Roscoe's passing. I loved him as Robert Barr. Both he and Kelly were one of my all time favorite soap couples. RIP Roscoe Born.

• Like 1

I've been watching the eps where they write Santana off, basically the story where she hit Eden with the car. I was never a Santana fan, but man the writers really did a number on her character and tbh I found it hard to watch between her being drugged by Gina, and then manipulated by Keith to confess. And then Gina and Keith just get off scott free. It's all kind of gross, and so I'm half watching it and half fast forwarding it. 

Also, apparently A Martinez in an interview said that Cruz was a terrible cop and I really do agree. Cruz doesn't notice his wife is on speed all the time? Not to mention the numerous times she's at the police station with other cops around on speed and they apparently don't notice? 

Not to mention Gina has a history of drugging people?

Not to mention Santana HERSELF not noticing something wasn't right? 

When I was a teenager someone slipped me acid at a party. It was not a pleasant experience, primarily bc I did not understand what was wrong with me. It was 24 hours later (because it takes a long time to come down) - I finally realized what had happened, although I never figured out the exact person. But trust me- I knew something was wrong. 

I love SB but there are lots of moments where I'm like- and this is why this show was cancelled and never had high ratings 

• Useful 1

And then Gina and Keith just get off scott free.

Isn't that how many a Gina and Keith storyline ended?

• Like 1

Yes lol! Some of it made me more squeamish than others.

• Like 1

God, I can't believe both actors playing men in the triangle for Kelly's affections, Robert and Craig, are now both gone.  😞 May John Callahan RIP.

• Sad 1