Type keyword(s) to search

Willie Geist: Free Willie!

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

He has bored me to tears for years.  He used to be on Morning Joe and I think he still is at times.  I don't understand why he seems to luck out with his jobs, but apparently, he's one who is always available and dependability is a good asset.

I haven't heard anything bad about him, but I can't see him carrying a show.  He could prevail by default though. 

I will admit to liking Willie. He was basically the bright spot for me when watching Morning Joe. I like watching him over Matt Lauer and Al Roker any day. Plus he is nice to look at, because apparently I am shallow like that.

• Love 1

I may be wrong, but I get the impression by the reaction of his cohosts that Willie is cocky.

He has bored me to tears for years.  He used to be on Morning Joe and I think he still is at times.  I don't understand why he seems to luck out with his jobs, but apparently, he's one who is always available and dependability is a good asset.

I haven't heard anything bad about him, but I can't see him carrying a show.  He could prevail by default though. 

Willie seems like a fairly nice, normal guy but he bores me, too.  Agree, I can't see him being a lead on any program but he'll probably score something in a few years.  Can't figure out why he's still on MJ. 

He's had many good jobs over the years and I've always believed it's because of his father's connections.  (Bill Geist, CBS)  JMHO  Perhaps the cohosts are reacting to the nepotism but don't know.

Would much rather see qualified journalism types who've come up thru the local ranks instead of Meghann McCain, Chelsea, Jenna Bush, Willie, ... 

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Willie has paid his dues and come up through the ranks.  In college, he was an editor of the school newspaper - okay, it's not The New York Times, but it is background experience for someone going into journalism.  Before he started to get screen time, he was a sports producer at CNN and produced Tucker Carlson's show at MSNBC. (That alone is a lot of dues, if Carlson is as prickly as he is reputed to be.)   Was Willie in the right place at the right time, ie at MSNBC when they abruptly canned Imus?  Yes, but that seems to be a lot of how news broadcasting works. Bill Geist may be in the business (and I love him!), but Willie put in his own time at a number of places, none of which were CBS-related entities.

• Love 5

His father had connections.  I'm aware of Willie's work as a producer.  Sorry but I don't believe he would have rec'd those positions barely out of college without significant connections.  JMHO

Knew I was forgetting someone but then, I try to forget Luke-boy as much as possible.  His latest gig on MTP is gag-worthy.

• Love 1

Guess we'll have to agree that mileage varies (or I will, anyway).  I went to school for Radio/TV/Film; and while I ended up doing other stuff for work, a number of my friends went into producing and associate producing types of jobs right out of school.  It's not always glamorous; there can be a lot of grunt work involved; and it's a great way to learn your way around the business, meet people, and get noticed (hopefully in a good way).

For those grads lucky enough to even score a job in the field out of college, I wonder what % of them start as a producer at a national network, never paying a single due (let alone dues, plural!) at a local network?

Considering all the sports mad guys out there, I wonder how many grads in their wildest dreams think they could cover The Final Four, Super Bowl and Masters in basically their first job out of school?  And, cover those events as a reporter/producer, i.e. not an unpaid intern, production assistant or other form of grunt?

Yes, I'll continue to disagree.  I believe Willie had extraordinary advantages and benefitted from nepotism.

I personally don't care how Willie got ahead because I think he has more than proven himself. He can carry heavy news interviews (of course this show sucks for that, but I've seen him run Morning Joe as a smart professional), and I love his dry/wry sense of humor. What's boring to some is just right for others. I'm just sorry that they can't give him decent cohosts to play off of. He was best with Brooke Shields, and I think he thinks so too.

So amongst the group of second generation kids trying to do something? He is no Megan McCain or Chelsea Clinton (I can't even put Luke in there, I despise him too much), or even Ronan Farrow. I think Willie has his own personality that obviously grabs enough people that he's still moving up at this point.

• Love 6

I agree with you, EmeraldGirl, that the current nepotism group (Meghann, Jenna, Chelsea -gag me, etc.) can't come close to Willie WRT their basic skills - I'd just rather see an open playing field for starters, available to everyone. 

And Luke - uh, Luke Who?  Luke's in another stadium altogether, e.g. Pop Warner to their JV.  Don't even need to mention it, lol.  

Was only talking about how they start - not how they finish!  The latter's an entirely different issue/discussion, IMHO. 

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

He was best with Brooke Shields, and I think he thinks so too.

He was and she is very good on this show.  I would like to see her there more often.  

Matt could not stand Ann Curry and I didn't like her either.  They need to get rid of Tamron and get someone who clicks with Willie.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I'm really surprised that people like Willie.  I can't stand him.  I love his dad.  Maybe it's the comparison to his dad that's unfair but when your name is basically a nickname off from your famous dad and you're in the same industry, expect it.  I'm a GMA watcher, if I watch morning TV.  I can't believe Lauer is still on.  The whole show needs a re-boot.

I'm really surprised that people like Willie.  I can't stand him.  I love his dad.  Maybe it's the comparison to his dad that's unfair but when your name is basically a nickname off from your famous dad and you're in the same industry, expect it.  I'm a GMA watcher, if I watch morning TV.  I can't believe Lauer is still on.  The whole show needs a re-boot.

I don't mind him, just disagree with him in regards to his politics. Seems a wee bit more sane than Matt. As for his dad, loved him on Sunday Morning, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a different animal (to a point) than his son.

Seems they are fired. I love Willie!  I also like Natalie.  If this is turning into The Tamron Show, I'm out.  Can't stand her.

According to the article, that is not the case.

From the NY Daily Post article:

The embattled NBC morning show was rocked early Wednesday by a report that two of its biggest stars had been axed — even as the pair appeared on the live telecast — but a NBC News official told the Daily News "it's not true."

I watched this morning, and Natalie seemed to have a clenched-teeth forced smile while they were doing the mashed potato challenge.  Tamron was practically jumping out of her skin.  I think they were both ready for the axe to fall.  I will wait to see where this goes.  Maybe a lawsuit was threatened?

I love Willy.  I'm so glad he's hosting with JBH subbing for Hoda.  I'll take him over Chanielle or Natalie or whatever.  If I can't have KLG or Hoda, I'll take Willy.  I love him on Morning Joe but his Sunday morning show is yawnsville, and not just because of the hour.

I like Willie's Sunday show.  I can do without the kiss ass celebrity interviews, but I like his interactions with Morgan Radford and Kristen Welker and I love a Life Well Lived.

Willie is really likable, but he's slightly tainted to me due to his connection to Joe & Mika.  That show is so unwatchable to me now and I know Willie will never leave.

• Love 2