Type keyword(s) to search

Hoda Kotb: What? An Open-Mouth Pose is Cute!

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I used to love her.  I like her but with reservation.  Can it be I like KLG more?  Did I really say that?   

What bugs me the most is her "ready to burst into hysterics" affect. . It is a nervous habit that would be wise to break.  

• Love 2

Hoda has written her 2nd book with a "coauthor". Telling other people's stories. Anyone else suspect the coauthor did the brunt of the work & it's Hoda's job to promote it?

Just like Hoda takes credit for the "Brave" video when it was set up by NBC & she had nothing to do with the writing of the song or making of the video.

Or her daily quotes, which are other people's words.

• Love 1

Had to laugh when Hoda said that she would be introducing a new story on the show soon about couples that have been together a long time. Savannah asked her what her role was - director? No, Hoda says, "moral support". Aka- it was someone else's idea & I had nothing to do with it but have to promote & narrate it.

• Love 2

Hoda:  Please PLEASE stop saying What? in stereo with KLG or Jenna or anyone.   It is annoying and I may have to stop watching if this continues.  And I started watching this show because of you, read your book, etc.  It's just too much

• Love 4

I like the idea of 2 strong women Hosting, and NBC moving away from the Man/Woman Hosts.  Hoda is so full of enthusiasm and is well-liked, and can transition between serious news stories & light-hearted and feel-good stories. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have no issue with Hoda.  Good choice, imo. What I have never understood is Savannah Guthrie.  I have no idea why she is in that position.  She's very fortunate. 

Yeah, she's always been too Mary Richards for me. No spunk!

Edited by ByaNose

I don't believe either Hoda or Savannah are qualified to host TODAY.  Neither are able to carry a hard hitting or breaking news type of interview, on their own, without preplanned and follow up questions....and I don't think they will be able to rely on one another in the moment (as Savannah regularly did with Matt).  TODAY focused on Matt for the most serious of news events.  This duo will be quite interesting to watch when something significant here or in the world needs to be covered, in real time. 

That said, TODAY has turned into a fluff type morning show anyway so I guess they'll do a good job discussing fashion, food, diets, children, tv/movies, etc.  The old Dave Garroway type TODAY Show is in the past.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

You mean the one that had a monkey as a co-host?

Hahaha... Good point! I was just trying to compare past Today Show hosts who were journalists first and not necessarily "TV personalities" ever. Times have changed. I get it. But, I do think the first big breaking LIVE news event, where these two hosts have to "perform", unscripted, will be interesting to watch. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Hahaha... Good point! I was just trying to compare past Today Show hosts who were journalists first and not necessarily "TV personalities" ever. Times have changed. I get it. But, I do think the first big breaking LIVE news event, where these two hosts have to "perform", unscripted, will be interesting to watch. 

HOda used to be a "real" newsperson in New Orleans.  Maybe she still has those skills. I think the combo is fine.  Time will tell if it turns out not to be.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

HOda used to be a "real" newsperson in New Orleans.  Maybe she still has those skills. I think the combo is fine.  Time will tell if it turns out not to be.

Savannah majored in journalism and was a White House correspondent and legal analyst before becoming a cohost.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Katy-lied said:

Savannah majored in journalism and was a White House correspondent and legal analyst before becoming a cohost.

I read that about her but you'd never know it by her performance on the Today show.

• Love 5

The same way that they always do.  A cast of dozens, a homey set, lots of pre-taped mind-numbing stories about the tragic personal lives of *amateur* athletes, and enough commercials to cover their costs and boost NBC's 2018 profits.  Lauer's premier Olympic gig was hosting the Opening/Closing.  I can't imagine that NBC will put Savannah on that gig.  And I haven't heard whether they are crating up Meredith and importing her for the open/close.  Costas and Al Michaels are too old.  Plus, Ryan Seacrest is now an ABC employee.  Maybe Lester and Hoda?

It's likely to help that NBC plans to broadcast *live* for the entire Nuclear War Winter Olympics.  I think the The Today Show will be airing from 4AM-8AM on the West Coast.

• Love 3
On 1/3/2018 at 7:20 PM, tinderbox said:

I agree. Lately the show seems about 5-10 min of “serious news” & the rest seems like an Access Hollywood, E news or Extra.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I never watch The Olympics on the American networks, anyway.  Who started "up close & personal" - don't really care about the athletes' personal lives.  Just show me the events.  

I admit I really do like the “up close and personal” segments. It helps me get to know the athletes and more about many sports I may not be that familiar with. I like cheering for our country, but I really also enjoy cheering for the contestents and all they have been through to get there.

• Love 4

If anything, I see Hoda walking away from Hour Four, perhaps in conjunction with a KLG *retirement* to work on her movies/music/books/travel.  Stability is key for now, but I would be surprised to see this 4 woman lineup still configured in its current format when the next Olympics arrive.

53 minutes ago, Mrsjumbo said:

Hoda’s office on the Jeff Rossen segment- what a mess!

I think Hoda is really slobby. I remember her saying that at home she never closes any cabinet doors or hangs anything up! Stuff just gets shoved into the closet--on the floor or tossed on a shelf. I could not live like that! And she has shown her purse before and it is a disaster too.

Hoda: “one of the best parts of our job is they all stop here. It’s like the coolest thing in the world. You look over there, you see a medalist, you know that the gymnasts are...” ((trailed off))

These are the WINTER games, no gymnasts here!

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

Okay Hoda, 

We know you Looove your baby and you have written a book about her. Please back off. This has been every single day!! Nauseating Stuff! Am I alone in this?

No, you are NOT alone !  I used to look forward  to my recorded Hoda and Kathie Lee hour every night . They were silly, but still a good diversion .

Now, between certifiable Kathie Lee singing about her faith , or having a daily revival, and Hoda with her constant deep quotes and making everything her baby does some deep experience , I pass on this sappy crap fest !

I saw Hoda’s giant, open mouth smile on some other show, ready to talk about her kid and that book yesterday, and immediately changed the channel!

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 4

Hoda says “I used to think my job was the most important thing, but not anymore”. So why is she working MORE now that she has the baby? Kudos to her for getting Matt’s job. She should have bowed out of the KLG hour.

• Love 5

I want to like Hoda. I really do. She seems nice enough and people seem to love her.  However...

Pretty please stop with the “WHAT?!”  It never was and will never be cute or endearing or whatever you think it is supposed to be. 

She always looks like she is on the verge of laughing about something happening off camera. The audience can’t see what you see Hoda! I don’t know why tptb allow for both Hoda and klg to have conversations with people off camera while we are all sitting there wondering what the heck is going on with what seems like their weird inside jokes. That doesn’t make for good tv!

Enough with the baby! It’s like she has a baby unicorn. Everything is suddenly so profound! We know Hoda. Many of us have had babies at one point. You don’t need to explain to us why it’s so special. We are in on it.  I hope I was never that annoying about it!

It’s just all too much of everything. Is it possible to have too much of a personality? Maybe if she dialed it back a few hundred notches I’d be able to tolerate her better. 

• Love 12

I found something that is annoying me more than the open mouth. Lately Hoda rests her elbow on the desk & talks with her chin in her hand. I don’t know if it’s a new habit or it’s supposed to make her more “down to earth”, but it’s unprofessional.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

I found something that is annoying me more than the open mouth. Lately Hoda rests her elbow on the desk & talks with her chin in her hand. I don’t know if it’s a new habit or it’s supposed to make her more “down to earth”, but it’s unprofessional.

It is unprofessional, and Stephanie Ruhle does it all the time on her show too.  

• Love 2

The Oceans 8 interview with Cate Blanchette and Sarah Paulson was a hot mess.  Honestly can't remember when I have seen something like that on live TV.  Sarah and Cate did not help, they seemed to be doing "schtick" and  talked to each other non-stop to the point of actually being rude, but Hoda had absolutely NO control of the interview.  She just sat there and laughed hysterically while they babbled to each other.  I was embarrassed for her.  At one point they told her that her mascara was running.  At that point Savannah actually came on the set to take over, I think someone on production crew told her to do that to get some control.  All the while Hoda was laughing.  I used to like Hoda but I think she is in over her head.

• Love 10

Hoda says “I used to think my job was the most important thing, but not anymore”. So why is she working MORE now that she has the baby? Kudos to her for getting Matt’s job. She should have bowed out of the KLG hour.

Hoda has realized that having a baby isn't all fun and anecdotes, but it IS great publicity.  She does work more than ever.  Howard Stern says she shows up at Sirius all the time ... guaranteed that she isn't raising that baby.  

• Love 5
On 2018-06-05 at 1:04 PM, OpalNightstream said:

She had a hard time controlling that oceans 8 interview today. 

According to Entertainment Weekly, it was a “hilarious off-the-rails interview” - so if you find Honda amusing ....

• Love 1