Type keyword(s) to search

The Little Couple Season 8 Begins Tuesday January 5, 2016!

• Start Topic

Just read and saw a video on Bill Klein's Facebook page that Season 8 will begin on Tuesday, January 5th!  There is a lovely clip from TLC with some highlights including Zoey's 4th Birthday party!  I can't wait for the premiere!

• Love 6

There was also an article on People magazine's website. It also had the TLC season preview video--& you really should watch that; especially if you're fond of Will & Zoey. They've both changed over the break, in good ways. Zoey has changed the most, I think--mostly in verbal ability. She's more articulate this season than the last time we saw her last season (just as Will was at the beginning of last season), & (I think) she's more outgoing.

http://www.people.com/article/little-couple-season-8-exclusive-supertease-jen-arnold-bill-klein?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

As was said, the new season starts January 5th. The timeslot is 9PM Eastern/8PM Central (I don't think that was mentioned yet).

• Love 4

I just saw the promo during the Duggar special and wow, Will's speech has improved by leaps and bounds! I'm so happy for him!

I think Miss Zoey's doing pretty well herself this season. Maybe she's not quite as articulate as Will yet--she is a year younger, after all--but I think her speech has improved since the last season Finale.

• Love 6

Both Will and Zoey seem to be speaking quite well as evidenced by the promos! They have both come a long way!

I think my favorite Zoey part of the promo--at least the original 1 they released--was when she put her little hand on the side of Bill's face, as (I think) he was holding her, & she said something about "you look at me". I also noticed some of the clips in it had Zoey with her old, Dora the Explorer-like, hairstyle & others had her new cut. So it was changed during the season, & maybe they'll explain it in 1 of the episodes.

I still haven't figured out my favorite Will moment from the preview. There are just too many good ones.

• Love 2

Two years in a row, Zoey's birthday parties have been extravaganzas. Will's, not so much.

What about when Will had the birthday party at the zoo? And his last birthday was at the science demonstration/activity place (we have a similar facility here, called Science Central).

It's not like, compared to Zoey, his birthdays have been at Chuck E. Cheese's. I think they've had reasonably similar birthday experiences, tailored to what each individual child has been interested in at the time of the birthday/party planning, whether or not it looks like the same amount of money has been laid out by Bill & Jen to finance the festivities.

And Zoey's 3rd was at the house, in their yard, not at an "attraction" or a nice hotel--though, yeah, Bill & Jen had a petting zoo/animals at it since the theme was based around Old McDonald Had a Farm (her favorite song at least at the time of the party). And Will had a couple of animals at his zoo birthday party, too.

• Love 4

Have you actually looked into the pricing of such events? Because honestly, I have, and the less extravagant zoo parties (not as many guests, no private showing) are quite costly.  TLC paid quite a lot for that party.

eta - my niece loves the zoo and we considered it briefly but frankly it was pretty excessive for a ten year old's birthday

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 3

Zoey's farm birthday had over 75 guests, live animals, and required a 14 page instruction list to prepare for it. We see in the previews that this year's party is at a 5 star hotel. Zoey's picture is displayed, as big as life, outside on the marquis of the hotel. I don't think that either Will's zoo party or science party are in the same league with these two major events.

I don't know if there are multiple previews out for the new season or not, but I keep seeing the same 1. That gives *no* indication of which hotel Zoey's birthday party was held at *or* the level of "star" excellence it's classified as being at (though I really wouldn't expect Bill & Jen to hold their kids' parties, or their own, at a local Motel 6 or no-name fleabag). I also haven't seen any shots of Zoey's picture on the hotel marquee in any previews. And I've watched the only 1 that's posted on YouTube (the original & only 1 I saw, which makes no specific references to, or distinctions about, the birthday party hotel, nor does it show Zoey's pic on their marquee), very carefully, multiple times, including at least twice last night.

As for the 14-page "instruction manual" for Zoey's farm-themed birthday party, I just look at that as Jen being overly prepared/organized, 1 of those people who likes to make lists for everything, etc. (my Dad's also a doctor & he's also like this), & wanting everything to be as perfect as possible for her new daughter's first American birthday party (which I honestly don't fault her for). As I remember, she also had an "instruction manual" for at least Will's zoo party. I remember Nainai Judy commenting on Jen's party "instruction manual" at least once.

The way I look at it, Bill & Jen went through a lot--physically & emotionally--& waited a long time to become parents to these 2 beautiful kids, who seem to have been meant to be Bill & Jen's kids even with the original cultural & other differences between them. If they have the finances to be able to give them amazing birthday parties (& other life experiences/the best of everything, or close to it, presumably within what they think is reasonable), who am I to judge them for it? Will & Zoey are *Bill & Jen's* kids, *not mine*. How they choose to indulge (or not) their kids is up to them, the kids, & anyone else concerned who's actually in their family. It's not up to me.

• Love 12

I think having the parties filmed for the TV show makes an impact on what the parties turn out to be.  TLC makes at least part of the arrangements and works to get items comped so it's all likely a mix of TLC and Bill and Jen making an episode worth viewing and also giving the child a good birthday party. 

• Love 3

In the preview birthday party promotional tv spots, Zoey's hair is in a cute bob.  Now, on her facebook photos, her hair has been cut very short.  Has she been ill?  If not, I really do not care for her super short haircut.

• Love 2

In the preview birthday party promotional tv spots, Zoey's hair is in a cute bob. Now, on her facebook photos, her hair has been cut very short. Has she been ill? If not, I really do not care for her super short haircut.

Neither Bill nor Jen has made any kind of public statement on the reason for Zoey's haircut/new hairstyle. But in the original season preview video that was released, Zoey's hair was in her previous style (which reminds me of "Dora the Explorer"'s hairstyle) in some of the included scenes & in her new "pixie cut" style in others. Perhaps, in that case, the change in hairstyle will be shown & explained during the upcoming season. But I have no real idea on that.

At any rate, whatever way Zoey, or her parents, want to style her hair is fine with me. And I think it's strictly their decision.

• Love 3

It may be their decision but people do not have to like it.  I prefer it longer because I liked to see Zoey wearing the pretty headbands and bows.  And I think the child looked better with a little longer length! Just my personal opinion.

• Love 3

What a great birthday present this is for me (January 5th)!  Thanks TLC, you shouldn't have.  ;)

I've no doubt the kids get the exact birthday parties they want.  If Will wanted a party at the Taj Mahal, Bill and Jen would find a way to make it happen.  I see no disparity between the kids birthday parties.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 9

I think having the parties filmed for the TV show makes an impact on what the parties turn out to be.  TLC makes at least part of the arrangements and works to get items comped so it's all likely a mix of TLC and Bill and Jen making an episode worth viewing and also giving the child a good birthday party.

I am not so sure. I have seen other TLC shows with families taking trips or celebrating birthdays and they are more on the level of what they can afford. With or without TLC money Zoey and Will will have no expense spared parties. The Johnstons, the new little family show on TLC, would not. I honestly think families pay for things that they need to do or feel they want to do, such as parties or trips to see family, medical care, or for work. TLC would chip in for maybe a trip that isn't necessary but would be interesting to film, like Kate plus 8 going to different places, I'm sure she gets assistance. When I see that some of the other little families getting the same medical procedures done within the city they live and not going to Baltimore like Bill and Jen can, I don't believe TLC assists with that because every family would take advantage of going to the best of the best if it was an option.
  • Love 1

I have to say it seems to me, based on the preview I have seen, it's going to be activities only. I think it's more interesting to see day to day situations and how it is worked out and less picture perfect parties or perfectly planned trips. Something struck me with comparing Jen and Bill to,other little families. I remember when they went to NY and they were walking down the busy crowded street with 2 kids and no stroller and it was as if no nerves were involved at all. I watched the shows with the Hamils and they went to NY and the mom kept making reference to being nervous and thinking maybe this wasn't the best decision to be walking the streets. It is so real to me to have this reaction as a parent period. Jen and Bill never do, it is as if they want to seem as if they can handle any situation like anyone else. I guess seeing the new shows has shown me that I like seeing actual situations and seeing how it's dealt with and seeing them admit that things are difficult to do on a daily basis. It's honestly as if Jen and Bill have forgotten they are little. And one more thing, I want to know why Jen has cut off all of Zoey's hair to be as short as hers. It's an attractive cut on her as an adult but not a 3 or 4 year old. This is all my opinion.

• Love 1

Hairgate begins! ;-)

yes it is, I think it's horrible and I know as a mom she can do whatever she wants, but I guess I want to see her in long ponytails because she would be so cute, obviously her decision has nothing to so with me. I had heard and seen a picture of her wearing a CPAP and her hair hair may have been getting tangled and if she is the type that is extremely tender headed short may have been better for now. I hope they give an explanation but they really have no responsibility to tell us anything.

I wonder if TLC paid for the party.  If it was filmed for the show, I would imagine that the network picked up the bill.

I don't think so because other families on TLC shows with less income don't have extravagant parties, they fall within what they can afford. They are probably investing TLC money in other areas that are more important.

I have to say it seems to me, based on the preview I have seen, it's going to be activities only. I think it's more interesting to see day to day situations and how it is worked out and less picture perfect parties or perfectly planned trips. Something struck me with comparing Jen and Bill to,other little families. I remember when they went to NY and they were walking down the busy crowded street with 2 kids and no stroller and it was as if no nerves were involved at all. I watched the shows with the Hamils and they went to NY and the mom kept making reference to being nervous and thinking maybe this wasn't the best decision to be walking the streets. It is so real to me to have this reaction as a parent period. Jen and Bill never do, it is as if they want to seem as if they can handle any situation like anyone else. I guess seeing the new shows has shown me that I like seeing actual situations and seeing how it's dealt with and seeing them admit that things are difficult to do on a daily basis. It's honestly as if Jen and Bill have forgotten they are little. And one more thing, I want to know why Jen has cut off all of Zoey's hair to be as short as hers. It's an attractive cut on her as an adult but not a 3 or 4 year old. This is all my opinion.

Maybe they are more comfortable being in New York than the other family because they lived and worked there. Bill even went to school in New York city. Houston isn't a small slow suburban city either.

• Love 4

I believe TLC factors in because with Kate Gosselin, the play houses were comped, the trip to Hershey was comped, American Girl was comped, even the reptile house was comped.  I know someone who works at one place Kate/production wanted to take the kids and when the owner refused to offer it free, Kate and the kids never went.  Perhaps Jen and Bill just dream larger than some of the other families and it doesn't seem quite as "out there" for them to do these things.  Perhaps they would do them even without show, but there is show impact and production assistants are working to get things free for advertising.

• Love 4

I don't think so because other families on TLC shows with less income don't have extravagant parties, they fall within what they can afford.

I disagree. It's pretty accepted that families on TLC shows get what are called "tradeouts" - they get vacations and special events for free and the venue in return gets free advertising in the form of an episode displaying their wares. The reveal on Kate and Jon Gosselin's contracts reveal this as well, as do interviews Matt Roloff has done where he pretty bluntly states if the family is on camera doing x, y, and z, then TLC is paying for x, y, and z - which frankly explains the rather extravagant weddings of one barely employed son and one not employed son.

One of the major perks of doing these shows is the trade outs.

• Love 4

I have a feeling that "The Little Couple" is TLC's highest rated show, and that basically Jen and Bill can call the shots.  I often wonder why on my Cablevlsion "On Demand" I can watch almost all of TLC's shows except "The Little Couple" - not even reruns.  I think they want to keep a mystique about the show and won't reveal that much to keep viewers intrigued. 

• Love 1

I'm watching re-runs and finally Jen's laugh and "awe riiight" are getting to me so can we add laughgate and awerightgate to the list? ;^) I like the show and the Arnold Kleins but only catch it during TLC am programing so sometimes seeing a couple of episodes together makes these things stand out.

• Love 2

I think it's over indulgent no matter who is paying the bill. However, Zoey and Will are working during their childhood and sacrificing their privacy, so I guess they are entitled to being overly indulged.

Whatever the reason, being overindulged almost never works out to be in any child's best interest. If this is where the Kleins are heading they'll probably be losing THIS viewer. I personally thought they were smarter, more savvy and frankly, less mercenary. If TLC is insisting on splashy overindulgent, whopper vacations, beach houses etc for ratings, the Kleins should be resisting, IMO - or failing that, ending the show. PS - Even without having a TV show, to me it's ridiculous to throw these blow-out parties for children who are far too young to ever remember them. Big Giant Parties are for when a child turns 10 or 13 maybe - that would be a wonderful and memorable event for most kids. Two, three and four year olds aren't going to remember jack from an elaborate party. 

Maybe they are more comfortable being in New York than the other family because they lived and worked there. Bill even went to school in New York city. Houston isn't a small slow suburban city either.

I believe Bill is a New York native - born and raised. He even lived there after they were married and Jen had taken the Houston position. There was defnitely a long-distance marriage going on for a period of time. IIRC, he was reluctant to leave NY and make a permanent move to Texas.

• Love 3

I know plenty of regular everyday people with a fraction of the money Jen and Bill make, who spend on lavish things repeatedly thru the year. One old friend and her family are vacationing in Disney/Six Flags in Florida right now for Christmas after spending the majority of the summer at Cedar Point with all encompassing season passes (like $800 right there just for tickets and some food for their family of 4). What's that? $5000 in amusement parks this year alone? Plus they already bought the Cedar Point passes for next year and her kids are like 8 and 10 and have been doing this since they were kiddie rides only riders. Another is planning for the yearly week at a Disney resort for her family of four. Her daughter is like 7 and has been there at least 5 times. Given I've known her since kindergarten, 30 some years ago, and know what and where she and her husband do and live, I know they basically go into debt every vacation to afford it. Another has her kids in karate, dance, swimming, and seems to go to Cavs and Indians games multiple times a season and to every "special" show that comes to town. Add trips to American Girl, whatever her sons are into, and multiple vacations since last Christmas when they went abroad, and I'd say these are expectations at this point for her 3 kids, none of whom are even teens yet.

Will and Zoey are living the basic American childhood by these standards and well within their parents means. I'd bet my life savings Will and Zoey have full college funds all but set aside by their 10th birthdays while I suspect at least 1 if not 2 of the families I know have little to nothing saved in that regard. They get a nice birthday party and some small trips, but if there's a beach house, you know that's for Jen. She's worked her ass off for it and obviously that's her dream. 

• Love 7

I wouldn't say they are living the basic American childhood being on TV like they are, but if Jen and Bill want to do these things, well ok. I will reserve comments til I see the episode if I feel like watching. Im happy to see the kids seem to be able to communicate better.

• Love 4

I had short hair during most of my childhood in the 70's .I thought it was because I hated having my hair brushed. I guess my mother just hated me.

I did too mostly because my hair was really curly and tangled easily. I thought it was because my mother wanted to spare me the pain. 

• Love 2

I know plenty of regular everyday people with a fraction of the money Jen and Bill make, who spend on lavish things repeatedly thru the year. One old friend and her family are vacationing in Disney/Six Flags in Florida right now for Christmas after spending the majority of the summer at Cedar Point with all encompassing season passes (like $800 right there just for tickets and some food for their family of 4). What's that? $5000 in amusement parks this year alone? Plus they already bought the Cedar Point passes for next year and her kids are like 8 and 10 and have been doing this since they were kiddie rides only riders. Another is planning for the yearly week at a Disney resort for her family of four. Her daughter is like 7 and has been there at least 5 times. Given I've known her since kindergarten, 30 some years ago, and know what and where she and her husband do and live, I know they basically go into debt every vacation to afford it. Another has her kids in karate, dance, swimming, and seems to go to Cavs and Indians games multiple times a season and to every "special" show that comes to town. Add trips to American Girl, whatever her sons are into, and multiple vacations since

Cedar Point! I miss Cedar Point!

Indians birthday parties at JACOB'S FIELD, were,always reasonable.

And you can't tell me that TLC did not comp Jon & Kate's Hawaii trip. There's no way they could afford that on their own.

• Love 3

Bill and Jen definitely have the money to over indulge their children. Will and Zoey are earning their own money by working on the show. Even though these two facts are true, I think that the Klein's spending has a gluttonous feel to it. In my opinion, it's very unattractive.

Personally I never felt like the Kleins were being indulgent with their $$ at all - UNTIL they became parents. Now there are all kinds of activities, clothes, scale-model cars, trips, elaborate parties etc. I hope that they haven't succumbed to the common adoptive parent issue of trying to buy the kids' love and affection, because it does seem like that at times. And it's not necessary. Just because a parent CAN indulge a child doesn't mean they should - and it certainly doesn't make it a wise choice either. I say this mainly because I've attended many wakes and funerals in the last 20 years or so when friends of mine have lost parents - and not one of them has ever commented to me on all the dazzling presents and toys they received as children, or the exciting trips they went on etc. What they remember with the most love and affection have always been the smallest and most ordinary moments of life - Mom sitting by a bedside reading or Dad playing catch with an enthusiastic five-year old in the backyard. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

Personally I never felt like the Kleins were being indulgent with their $$ at all - UNTIL they became parents. Now there are all kinds of activities, clothes, scale-model cars, trips, elaborate parties etc. I hope that they haven't succumbed to the common adoptive parent issue of trying to buy the kids' love and affection, because it does seem like that at times. And it's not necessary. Just because a parent CAN indulge a child doesn't mean they should - and it certainly doesn't make it a wise choice either. I say this mainly because I've attended many wakes and funerals in the last 20 years or so when friends of mine have lost parents - and not one of them has ever commented to me on all the dazzling presents and toys they received as children, or the exciting trips they went on etc. What they remember with the most love and affection have always been the smallest and most ordinary moments of life - Mom sitting by a bedside reading or Dad playing catch with an enthusiastic five-year old in the backyard. 

IMO it's hard to make an assessment of how much Will and Zoey are indulged because we see such a compressed version of their lives.  The trips we have seen have been for medical purposes or business.  Most kids I know have those scale model cars, and what kid doesn't have activities like karate or dance.  They do have lots of toys but i don't this that's out of the norm for upper middle class kids. IMO I don't think the birthday parties have been over the top.   We know that Bill and Jen read to them and spend time with them, but it would be a boring show if we just saw the everyday routine. .  They may well be overindulged, but I don't think we have enough info to make that judgement. 

• Love 5

I read the description of the new Season Episode airing Tuesday, the 5th at 9:00 PM Eastern time on my cable guide.  It is about Zoey's 4th birthday party which Jen has organized and Bill feels is  "over the top."  So, we have to see what happens!

• Love 2

The way I feel is, if you've got the money, go ahead and spend it.  I can't think of a better way to spend money than on your children.  I'm way past the point of being jealous because someone has something I don't.  I think I got over that in 2nd grade.  This is just my opinion, of course.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 9

Has anyone noticed the change in furniture and decor in the living space? I noticed maybe last season or the one before, all of the pillows were changed from what the interior designer originally put in and replaced with Jens favorite blues and the coffee table had been changed to a round one. Now I see in the clips they have gotten a different couch. I wonder what is done with the previous furniture? Have anyone of you done this? I am a new homeowner but I surely don't have an urge to change my furniture once or twice a year. Also, Jen had stated that she always wanted a 4 poster bed and she didn't get it with the designer but when she and Bill were preparing to get Will I noticed a new bed in their master.

• Love 2

Wasn't their couch white? They could've changed because white isn't a good idea with kids, or they could've changed because the kids messed it up.

So she got a new bed? If they can afford it, it's not our business.

• Love 3