Type keyword(s) to search

Kathie Lee Gifford

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

What I find both amusing and somewhat baffling is when her career started, way back in the day, her image was the clean-cut, Christian girl-next-door.  Not saying that was necessarily the way she was in life, but she did come from that background and that's what was played up in her public persona.  And now she's getting drunk on national TV and promoting her own blend of the Devil's Brew.  

Not saying it's bad or wrong, just a very interesting trajectory to me.  But then . . . . Jessica Simpson, so.

• Love 1

Or "Embarrassing Her Kids Daily For Decades!"

BTW:  I have no clue how being mentioned daily for years might have actually scarred her kids, and Frank never looked like the most promising sperm donor, but I have to admit the grown up versions of her kids somehow turned out to be real lookers.

Cassidy Gifford:

MV5BMTA4OTA2MzYxNjheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDE4

Cody Gifford:

tdy_klg_cody_100702.300w.jpg

I don't get why Willie or Hoda can promote their books on the show & KLG certainly talked about her Broadway show enough- why can't she mention the wine she's selling?

I imagine the network doesn't want to be even peripherally involved in case someone drinks her wine, then plows a car into another car full of kids or something like that.  Admittedly they run paid ads for wine and beer, but giving it away is another thing entirely.

No, but why can't she just mention that she is selling it? I don't see how NBC would be liable for anything. It's legal to show beer & wine & other alcohol commercials on tv.

And I noticed they hawked Joy Bauer's new line of expensive healthy snacks. ($12.50/mo for 5 small bags- you could pick up 5 bags of nuts at Walgreens for 1/2 that price).

I really don't get why she can't talk about it- I'm sure the winemaker she is using wouldn't mind the free publicity.

No, but why can't she just mention that she is selling it? I don't see how NBC would be liable for anything. It's legal to show beer & wine & other alcohol commercials on tv.

And I noticed they hawked Joy Bauer's new line of expensive healthy snacks. ($12.50/mo for 5 small bags- you could pick up 5 bags of nuts at Walgreens for 1/2 that price).

I really don't get why she can't talk about it- I'm sure the winemaker she is using wouldn't mind the free publicity.

I wasn't suggesting it was a matter of legal liability, but rather a P.R. issue.

• Love 2
and Frank never looked like the most promising sperm donor

Actually, Frank Gifford wasn't bad-looking back in the day; in fact, I thought he was a nice-looking guy.  What burns me about Kathie Lee is that she likes to make fun of how old he is, but if she had met him when he was, say, in 30s or 40s, she might not have stood a chance.  ( I know he had the affair but I'm not talking about his personal life, just his looks.)

• Love 1

Here's Kathie Lee's no-makeup selfie in the new Colbie Caillat video (that also has Hoda, Natalie Morales, Savannah Guthrie and Tamron Hall).  The one thing you have to admit is that despite ACTING like a loon/clown/totally ugh-worthy person, she's not a bad looking woman.  She pulls off the no makeup pretty well (although she appears to be partially channeling her pal Hoda by doing an open-mouthed pose).

57cTvft.jpg

She still looks kinda orange though. That may still be fake tan on her face.

The title of this thread is too short, so gimme good epithets to add, everyone!  Best one wins. (Judged by me.  Decision of me is final.)

C'mon, it's Kathie Lee.  Unleash your best snark!

A simple one might be a tribute to her iconic Carnival Cruises song...

Kathie Lee Gifford:  Ain't We Got Fun?

Some other ideas...

Kathy Lee Gifford: Frank, Cody & Cassidy Drove Her To Drink. A Lot.

Kathy Lee Gifford: Giff-ted?

Kathy Lee Gifford: Here Today, Hung-over Tomorrow.

• Love 3

From TV Newser:

Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford will be back on morning TV together as Reeeg! fills in on the fourth hour of “Today” this Friday. With Hoda Kotb out of town, Regis and Kathie Lee will pick up right where they left off 14 years ago, when they co-hosted “LIVE!”

I flipped in for a minute and caught Reege.  He seemed genuinely happy to be working with KLG again, which somehow made me like her a little bit.  (I've never been able to stand her.)  Perhaps he's got a rug, but he still looks darn good for 80-something, and he looked very happy to be back on the tube. 

I had no idea of this (since I loathe the woman and her show) but apparently Reege has been occasionally guest-co-hosting Rachael Ray's show.  He's been either a guest or a co-host there 26 times according to IMDB--6 times in 2014 and 8 times in 2013.

'TODAY The Musical' Is A Real Thing Coming To Your TV Soon

The television program you never thought you needed is here. Get ready for "TODAY The Musical."

Yes. Kathie Lee Gifford announced Friday that she has written an 18-minute long musical including every "Today" show co-host and staffer. Gifford was sitting alongside her former long-time TV partner, Regis Philbin, who filled in for Hoda Kotb Friday.

The musical will be called "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either" and will air sometime this year, NBC News said.

But that's not all. Regis Philbin wasn't just a guest co-host Friday. Yep, you guessed it-- he will also be appearing in the musical!

And you thought you were excited for NBC's "Peter Pan Live"....

(Video clip at the link)

Regis looks great. I just checked Wikipedia and he'll be 83 in a few weeks.

ETA: LOL, I just realized that clip is from June 2012.

Edit again:  I actually think Regis looks better now than he did two years ago. In the clip included in that HuppPo article that I posted above, his hair was all gray when he was on the show yesterday. In the 2012 clip, it's an auburn color. I think he looks better with the gray hair.

There are a few photos from yesterday's show here.

Edited by LuckyBitch

Regis looks great. I just checked Wikipedia and he'll be 83 in a few weeks.

ETA: LOL, I just realized that clip is from June 2012.

Edit again:  I actually think Regis looks better now than he did two years ago. In the clip included in that HuppPo article that I posted above, his hair was all gray when he was on the show yesterday. In the 2012 clip, it's an auburn color. I think he looks better with the gray hair.

There are a few photos from yesterday's show here.

Yea XD. I noticed it as well. The more recent clip is on there too. Only issue is with the loading. It's downright slow and the buffering takes forever O_O.

• Love 1

Regis may have looked decent as co-host, but it was super-clear that he was out of practice for most of the show.  KLG really carried the hour, even moreso than the last time he was co-host in 2012. Regis had a hard time keeping up the the rat-tat-tat ADHD squeeze-seven-segments-in-45 minutes approach that is Today. The highlight of the hour was the bird who perched atop KLG for most of the wildlife segment. 

• Love 3

Regis may have looked decent as co-host, but it was super-clear that he was out of practice for most of the show.  KLG really carried the hour, even moreso than the last time he was co-host in 2012. Regis had a hard time keeping up the the rat-tat-tat ADHD squeeze-seven-segments-in-45 minutes approach that is Today. The highlight of the hour was the bird who perched atop KLG for most of the wildlife segment. 

Oh, I didn't watch anything beyond that 2 minute clip in the HuffPo link above. It was mostly just KLG announcing the musical. 

Still, I'm not surprised he's out of practice. It's been a while.

Nice to see you here @SanDiegoInExile !

KLG got on my last nerve today. She is so out of touch with music and technology it's almost painful. She was so out of her depth in the segment about apps that help control your house and TV and other streaming stuff.  She had nothing to say, just stood there looking awkward. Poor Hoda was trying to cover, by being extra interested and loud, but it was not helping.  I wish she could pretend to care when new artists come on or during IHoda.

KLG got on my last nerve today. She is so out of touch with music and technology it's almost painful. She was so out of her depth in the segment about apps that help control your house and TV and other streaming stuff.  She had nothing to say, just stood there looking awkward. Poor Hoda was trying to cover, by being extra interested and loud, but it was not helping.  I wish she could pretend to care when new artists come on or during IHoda.

I think when you have a 60 year old woman (even if she doesn't always want to act like it on-screen), you need to bring in some much younger person for segments like that and if you MUST have KLG around, milk her ignorance purely for comedy.  If all she does is stand there looking disengaged, it ain't working (and decade younger Hoda standing next to her isn't really the total fix--if you have to park Kathie's ass offscreen for a few minutes during those segments then do so).

• Love 2

KLG is palatable next to Hoda, I could never watch her with Regis.  Well, I didn't try either! 

Their hour should be tailored to their skills and personalities.  Leave technology to the first 2 hours. 

What the heck is KLG doing, inserting herself into the Cosby mess???!  I swear that woman searches every corner of every room, looking for opportunities to get her name in the news.  Now, because Bill Cosby once tried to kiss her, she's back in the headlines!  I am all for getting at the truth where Cosby is concerned, but Kathie Lee would be better off not trying to reach so far as to imply that she, too, could have been a victim!  To me, she epitomizes the word "cheap."  THEN, she records and goes on television singing Christian music!  Do I smell a hypocrite?

For the most part, and in theory I enjoy those "Everyone Has A Story" segments...but it's the fact it turns into a Kathie Lee reminding us she's a singer/musician/songwriter...I watch the segments but skip the song.  I mean, give the people you cover money or a vacation or something...given the circumstances that lead to them being covered by KLG and Hoda, not some badly written song.  SIDENOTE: Also feel bad for KLG's "broadway friends" who have to perform those numbers...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

Today Kathie Lee showed a picture of her niece who just had a baby two weeks ago. This girl was back in her pre-pregnancy clothes. Her legs looked like toothpicks. Kathie Lee says this niece is 5'0 or 5'1 and normally weighs 82 pounds!!! She gained 22 pounds for the pregnancy and now, apparently, is back to 82 pounds. Who weighs 82 pounds????

• Love 1

Today Kathie Lee showed a picture of her niece who just had a baby two weeks ago. This girl was back in her pre-pregnancy clothes. Her legs looked like toothpicks. Kathie Lee says this niece is 5'0 or 5'1 and normally weighs 82 pounds!!! She gained 22 pounds for the pregnancy and now, apparently, is back to 82 pounds. Who weighs 82 pounds????

Kelly Ripa?

• Love 3

Why does KLG get top billing over Hoda, the real journalist?

I think Kathie Lee was much more of a household name with all of her years with Regis. I only knew Hoda from the occasional Dateline.

Hoda went after KLG to do this gig so I'm sure KLG put it in her contract that she gets top billing.

I loved Billy Bush as a replacement for her.  I have a hunch she is on her way out.  This is a very long vacation.  Granted, it could just be in her contract but I smell another Today show shift afoot.