Type keyword(s) to search

Work Out - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Synopsis:  In the mecca of the fitness world, seven NYC trainers chase their big city dreams. As Layla and Jay’s fiery romance loses some of its heat, Lena looks to ignite her career seeking guidance from master Flywheel trainer Holly. Meanwhile seasoned trainer Courtney shoulders the grueling demands of the fitness industry. An enigmatic new trainer joins the gym and rumors about his background reach a fever pitch.

I would never want to hire Layla or Courtney as trainers after watching this show. I get that they think the new guy is shady but spreading rumors and verbally attacking him in public is taking it a bit far. Who cares if Joe was a go-go dancer? Or however he made his money/gets his fancy clothes? Yes, he talks a bit too much about all his expensive stuff but Layla was way out of line. Courtney was still throwing shade on Instagram yesterday but it looks like he took the post down after he saw most people siding w Joe. Joe calls himself the villain of the show on his IG page so he may turn out to be a giant douchebag but for now, I'm Team Joe.

• Love 2

These people are all* drama-queening, ridiculous famewhores. But not even fun-to-watch, so-bad-they're-good famewhores.  Just sad and dull. 

*Holly is the exception to this.  She actually seems authentic and cool.  I would take her class!  Ok, the woman living with her parents isn't to terrible so far, nor is the redhead. 

Courtney and Layla (and her meathead boyfriend) can GTFO.  And ferchristssake, put some pants on, woman!

• Love 3

Yes, Layla is somewhat a butterface, not saying she is ugly but she thinks too highly of herself. Her body isn't even that great. Her and Courtney were cringeworthy with their gossip.

I don't like personal trainers that look like ordinary ass people that eat right and do some cardio occasionally...I need muscle definition (arms, thighs and calves etc.), especially in the women (men develop it very easily so it isn't as remarkable, I like them to be lean muscle, little to no fat). The only one of the woman I was looking at was Holly, love the definition in her arms and traps, would train with her no doubt. The hispanic girl living with her parents (Lena?) interested me a little as well with her fitness physique competitions, its hard work getting that lean for the stage.

The redhead looked like she had never seen a weight in her life and maybe hadn't even ever been in a gym. No bueno.

I think the word shade was spoken fifty thousand times this ep...It's played out.

What's wrong with her lips?

There did seem to be something off with her lips, the bottom of her top lip (extra puffiness? extra skin?). Like maybe she had some filler or something, it looked weird at times. But it doesn't matter, something I might not have noticed if I hadn't glanced in here first before watching the ep.

• Love 1

Getting "lean" for the stage mostly consists of putting one's body into a state of extreme dehydration and subsisting on protein powder concoctions. I think their bodies are fine. They're women, they are going to have a higher body fat than the men, unless they use steroids (and that isn't unusual in the fitness community, although no one talks about openly). Their personalities suck, however.

Layla's look (and demeanor) is very harsh.

Oh of course, I know what she needs to do to get on the stage...she even says in the ep that she was eating about 1300 calories lol. And that 1300 calories are very carefully planned out with protein, carbs and fats (macro and micro nutrients) etc weighed and measured (mostly chicken and veggies if she doesn't want to think too hard about it). That 1300 will get smaller as well if she isn't where she needs to be at certain dates. I know the whole routine, the dehydration doesn't start till she gets closer to her competition date (two to three days out she will start bringing her water intake down) and even that is carefully regulated ( at least for the men, you don't want to look "flat" on stage because you over did it). When I said I was interested in her it was because I'm talking about the dedication, you can tell someone that you need to essentially starve yourself over so many weeks but not many people can actually do it (and workout and look good while doing it). It's hard work. :)

And fuck that to women naturally being fatter...sure...women naturally hold more fat...but I want my personal trainer to look like she works out and isn't just naturally thin. Sue me. I don't see anything in the redhead that screams I workout for a living (she is coming back from injury so I'll cut her some slack). It's a personal preference. I want toned, cut, sculptured people to motivate me and women can look like that without steroids (if they lift weights in a dedicated program and maintain low(er) body fat). 

Edited by jvr
  • Love 1

Episode synopsis:

Questions about Joe’s background continue to swirl as tensions between Layla and Jay build. When Noah scores a personal coup by hosting a 'GQ' event, the other trainers confront him about whether his "brand-building" will help them or leave them all behind. Holly dives back into the dating scene, but worries her career has sunk her social skills.

Edited by sugarbaker design

Despite their abrasiveness , I'm definitely with Courtney and Layla regarding Joe. You're a relatively new trainer with a shoe habit, your favorite watches are Rolexes, you love your Fendi shoes, etc , and all this money is from your businesses? How simple is it to say, I was in real estate or I'm a trust fund baby or I have some stocks I'm invested in, something. Instead you have a sit down with Lindsey humble-bragging about "how no one knows about you, how now one knows that you bought a property in Miami for $300k during the recession and it's now worth $900k." It's a skill being able to completely avoid talking about what you do, but making a point of mentioning how wealthy you are.

Regarding Lena's photoshoot. I was on Joe and Noah's side until Holly said something. I definitely understood not wanting to be seen in Adidas products if you're a representative for Under Armour or whatever, and that they needed a bit more information. Still when Holly, Master Trainer for Nike, said it was a little shitty and that she had done things for Noah in the past, I had to tilt my head a bit. There's a lesson in here about the types of people willing to reach back and pull someone else up the ladder and the type who are only concerned about their own ascent. I'll leave it at that.

I was doing laundry while watching this so I may have missed some stuff.. regarding Holly and her crush, the girl mentioned a boyfriend while at lunch and nothing else was said right (like I'm straight)? Holly still has a shot there, gaydar probably isn't completely broken, just needs to be recalibrated (girl might be bi). She should take a step back though and stop reaching out to her. If the girl likes her she will keep coming to the fitness classes and finding reasons to hangout outside of class. Boyfriend might be on his way out or not a serious relationship. Or the girl is just a tease. Either way this made me smile and cringe at the same time. No mas!

Less said about idiot obnoxious Layla and her stupid boyfriend the better. No mas!

Noah was being a douche not helping someone who is new to the business though I did think his argument about sponsors did had some validity. But it was obvious he is just a leech and will help only those that can advance his career.

Joe calling Linden NJ white trash was very funny to me, I was just imaging the people he grew up around watching this and getting so mad lol. Yes I think he brags too much and likes being a mysterious fool but I don't think he needs to explain himself to any of these trolls.

Lindsay (redhead girl) said she tore her acl or whatever and has been recovering for like 7 months? Do these trainers have insurance for injuries that keep them from being able to do their jobs for this long? I'm guessing she could still train people, just not participate...

And Courtney... I just wonder how these people even have clients with their horrible personalities.. I can just see him wanting to gossip and be girlfriends rather than actually working me out.

Edited by jvr

Joe calling Linden NJ white trash was very funny to me, I was just imaging the people he grew up around watching this and getting so mad lol. Yes I think he brags too much and likes being a mysterious fool but I don't think he needs to explain himself to any of these trolls.

It was funny to me to because a good friend of mine grew up in Linden and moved back there when she got married/had kids - she's nowhere near white trash.

Agree re: Joe as well.  I get that some may find him a bit shady but Layla and Courtney get SO bent out of shape thinking he owes them something.  Sure he's too preoccupied with name brand dropping and fashion/money in general but why does he have to divulge his finances to anyone?  It's no ones business how he can afford what he gets no matter how much he brags/talks about it.  Even if it turns out he's a go-go dancer, why is it their right to know?  They keep bringing up the point that he hasn't been in the business that long so how could he afford all that stuff but he must have had another job before getting into training.  Maybe he's invests his money well?  Either way, MYOB.

• Love 1
It was funny to me to because a good friend of mine grew up in Linden

A friend of mine grew up in Elizabeth which borders Linden.  When he visits his parents he tells his husband "I have to go to Betty this weekend".  On the border of Elizabeth and Linden is the Betty-Lin Diner.  Maybe Joe ate there!

• Love 1

I just caught this on repeats-don't know if I'm all in yet because they all seem to be trying too hard.

But Noah is a hottie. Me likey.

OK, jvr, since you went there on the redhead, ima come sit by you. I was trying not to be judgmental because Lord knows I can afford to lose my share of extra lbs. But why would Red be cast in this show as a trainer??? Yes, I understand that she had an injury but who's going to hire a trainer with a double chin?

The bodybuilder reminds me of Leah Remini.

• Love 1

I'm wondering why Bravo is once again, making a reality series about fitness trainers.

Last time they did it ("Workout" with fitness expert Jackie Warner) only lasted a couple seasons. The show was based in L.A. and I liked it enough to watch.

This new series..can't get myself to like anybody on the show. I find it boring.

• Love 1

Layla's look (and demeanor) is very harsh.

Watch her body language vs what comes out of her mouth. She's easy to read.

She is the most insecure person inside which is probably why she comes off so loud and aggressive on the outside to hide it.

• Love 2

I guess this show has been abandoned, I totally get why. This is the first episode I have watched and these people disgust me. So Laya is upset because she made it her mission to take down the new guy and he doesn't like her? LOL! Don't treat people like shit you would be amazed at what happens!

When people say he stole clients what does that mean? Don't the clients have a choice as to who they pay to train them? If a client is happy with their trainer they probably would stay with them. I think trainers have to stay current and know what their clients want/need. I had a trainer who seemed to ignore or disregard anything I said. I noticed the same with another female client. It wasn't like I was complaining, or not willing to work hard and push myself. I have worked with two other trainers in the past and it was a great experience.

• Love 2

What Layla, what? Play the victim because he called you on your shit? The tears...oh, poor you. Joe, you are my hero.

And the preview, tears from the other mess Courtney.

Why are you two the only two that have drama? Perhaps you are creating it yourself?

Holly is an amazing person.

• Love 1

I like this show, if not for anything but to make sure I'm doing my exercises right. I'm watching all the work outs closely. Ha.

I dunno, I hope this show catches on.

I can do without "mamalove." Puhleeze and eyerolls. Grow up chick!

• Love 1

They remind me of Lisa Rinna's lips after whatever the hell she did to them years ago.

She is very unattractive on the outside and her inside makes her even uglier.

Overwll ehat a horrible group of wanna-be actors, I mean people, Bravo found for this show.

• Love 1

I'm still watching but I keep forgetting when it comes on and have to watch it on the Bravo website days later.

The only one I can truly stand and want to see more of (working out) is Holly. She seems like a nice person with a damn nice body (and smile), if this show focused more on her body I'd probably remember when it was on...seriously...

Hmmmm..

Gosh...

Please may I have some more..

They keep talking about her being this big shot trainer, I want to see more of that. Her working out her clients and her classes please. In general I'd like to see what she does in her own personal training as well. I could do without her love life (mostly because I'm easily embarrassed for others) but I do hope she finds the girl she is looking for (I just don't want to see the process but I wouldn't mind seeing the end result...). I think she might just be a picky person because so far I don't see much of anything wrong with her.

I love Noah's body, it's really fantastic (more please but he might actually be getting a little too big) and Joe is pretty and has a nice body, need more shirtless from them and would like to see some thighs/legs. Guys be hitting that upper body hard but be skipping out on leg day, seriously lacking in proportions. I like their little bromance and love guys not lacking in confidence or showing affection toward the same non-related sex. Like the poster above I wouldn't mind seeing some more cheek to cheek hugs as well.

I looked up Joe's modeling pictures, he was very much a baby face then...he looks like a man now and definitely has filled in his body. I liked how he treated Layla the whole ep, I laughed when that fool started crying. Bitch please! Her and her mother can go play in traffic, so nasty both of them. None of the way they act is cute.

Edited by jvr

Loved Joe's reaction to Layla.

Layla and her mom are both "this is how I am" to defend/explain in your face rudeness. It was really great to see someone say "yes, I see how you are and I don't actually like being around s person like that. Bye!"

So many people feel they can be rude and confrontational as an aspect to their "real" personality and don't get that people then have the right not to enjoy that.

Although there is a ton of fake set ups, I believe Layla's stunned reaction to Joe's outright rejection of her was very genuine.

• Love 2

Courtney and Layla act like they're drunk.

I really like Holly. She's cute and has a warm and likable personality. Her date Tia was pretty. She looked like Hilary from Y&R . Inkinda felt bad for her that she was more into Holly and Holly was not interested. That waiter was weird!

I feel like Noah and Joes jokes about each other have a lot of truth behind them.

I stopped watching this show because I literally could not stand Courtney and Lala or whatever her name is. I stopped in here to see if the same stuff was going on and it is. However, because you guys said that Joe handled Layla made me just watch this episode. Courtney was his usually douche self who obviously doesn't have enough interesting things in his life that his storyline is discrediting Joe. Layla to me is just as bad. But boy, kudos to Joe! Wish I could start watching this show again but honestly my blood pressure would explode watching Layla and Courtney's overgrown opinion of themselves. But thanks to u guys, I did enjoy Joe's reaction.

• Love 1

The 5th episode has Courtney, the older trainer with the injured shoulder dealing with issues about his shoulder some more. Layla, the loud girl with the big hair, pisses off the red haired DUFF when they was supposed to both organize and lead a class, then she blows it off. Holly, the cute lesbian with a amazing body, endorsed some of the others names for an audition for a tv service fitness series. This caused some to be miffed their names weren't passed on by her and she herself felt snubbed when Noah, the curious, thirsty ass hell brunette guy said that doesn't suit HIS brand. Joe, the metro-sexual overly tattooed Viking and Lena the young Jersey girl also were on doing things.

Good summary lol, that was everything.

Layla: "Even though Holly didn't put in a good word for me about Radius, that's ok, I'm here for the kids [camera]."

Holly is still wonderful and too good for most of these people and still has an amazing body.

Why is Courtney crying so damn much about this shoulder? Just get it fucking fixed. I don't understand how this would affect him working, most of what they do is stand there and tell their client what to do. He can still do that with a sling on, he can barely workout with that fucked up shoulder as it is so what will be different post surgery? The only concern I can see is he will lose some muscle mass with no lifting for 2 months but he won't lose everything.

• Love 2

Why is Courtney crying so damn much about this shoulder? Just get it fucking fixed. I don't understand how this would affect him working, most of what they do is stand there and tell their client what to do.

I hope he doesn't drag it out all season. He has to know this show won't be renewed.

Lena, Courtney, and Joe compete for center stage at an audition and Lena fully intends to outshine the boys. Feeling left out, Layla and Jay prepare to mix business with pleasure in a new entrepreneurial venture.

Even though I like Joe it was nice seeing him bomb that audition. His act of being above it all is a little much so to see him act so confident and cocky pre-meeting and then see him fumble, stutter and look unprepared was a little funny.

I could tell Lena had it but wasn't sure if editing was making her audition look better than it was.

Too bad this show wont last long enough to see Layla and Jay's business collapse and their 'investors' lose their money. What am I saying, that 'business' will never see the light of day.

And uh oh..previews showed more Holly romance stuff. Just no please. I don't want to have to skip her scenes. That's like 99% of my enjoyment. 

• Love 2

This is just the poor little show that couldn't. 4 comments? Poor ole show can't even be litsted by it's proper name. Workout NEW YORK. I wonder how many people look for it and don't click on just Workout?

It's good trashy reality. Hot guys and girls with killer bodies. Lot's of back stabbing and DRAMA...

• Love 1

Holly runs into a blast from her past and contemplates her vision of the future. It’s a family affair as Jay-La celebrates Thanksgiving under the wary eye of Mama Love and Courtney turns to his sister for advice on the next chapter of his life. Meanwhile, a pole-dancing class turns into a faceoff between Courtney and the other trainers when he bares a shocking revelation about Joe.

More actual training/workout scenes this ep. Yay.

Lena looked and sounded good during her Radius shoot. 

Don't patronize me show, am I really supposed to think Holly's ex just happened to be around when she got out of her spinning class. I skipped all of these scripted (most of its scripted I know), relationship romance scenes. Sorry Holly.

I believe Holly is sleeveless 95% of her life. I don't blame her, gotta show the goods.

That text didn't sound like Joe was after Courtney's client, it said nothing about working out with him or hiring him as his trainer. It sounded like he was trying to create a storyline for the show where Courtney's client Felix dumped him and of his own volition contacted Joe. Courtney needed to take it down a little, he was getting out of control.

No one else willing to talk and admit they have't quit this shit yet? lol I'm in it till the end.

Edited by jvr

Fine. I admit I watch. The thing that got me this episode is that Mama Love served Thanksgiving dinner on paper plates (which is fine on its own). But I would expect for a potential business investor to use at least faux china for such an emotional holiday dinner.

• Love 2

Oh yea, that was another part I skipped since I can't stand Mama Love, so embarrassing. And there is nothing about Layla and her bf I care about. I will soon run out of show to skip. I did hear Jay talk a little about his dog being the only person/being that he trust before I skipped forward? Maybe I'll go back and watch that part.

• Love 1

Just the worst.  Mama Love looks like a Drag Queen.  Courtney, Layla, Noah and Joe are ALL delusional since they think that personal trainers are the Shit.  Why do I watch?  I try to pick up tips, but if I've seen one squat I've seen 'em all.  Can we see something different, please? 

• Love 3

Layla and her mom are both "this is how I am" to defend/explain in your face rudeness. It was really great to see someone say "yes, I see how you are and I don't actually like being around s person like that. Bye!"

So many people feel they can be rude and confrontational as an aspect to their "real" personality and don't get that people then have the right not to enjoy that.

Although there is a ton of fake set ups, I believe Layla's stunned reaction to Joe's outright rejection of her was very genuine.

I've noticed that the people who call their rudeness "real" rarely can take that "realness" when it is aimed towards them.  

And I hate Layla and her tacky AF mom.  

I've noticed that the people who call their rudeness "real" rarely can take that "realness" when it is aimed towards them.  

And I hate Layla and her tacky AF mom.  

Courtney and Layla act like they're drunk.

I really like Holly. She's cute and has a warm and likable personality. Her date Tia was pretty. She looked like Hilary from Y&R . Inkinda felt bad for her that she was more into Holly and Holly was not interested. That waiter was weird!

I feel like Noah and Joes jokes about each other have a lot of truth behind them.

I like Holly too.  But I think she needs to find a new hairstylist.  That $300 cut she is trading workouts for isn't worth it.