Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Nicaragua

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I just finished watching this season for the first time.  Random thoughts:

Wow, Sash got 0 votes; I wasn't expecting that.  I thought he played the best strategic game, but I guess he back-stabbed too many people.

Wow, Marty, Jane, and Dan were BRUTAL during the FTC.

Judson/Fabio is sooooo hot. He's really goofy and likable, and he won the immunity challenges when it really counted, so good on him for getting to the end. Idk if he necessarily deserved to win (in my opinion) but I'm not upset that he won. It sits fine with me. 

I really liked Brenda this season. I heard somewhere that her dad was upset with how she played this time around, so she decided to play differently on her second appearance. I don't get what she did this season that was so awful? 

Jane is my idol, but I did think she was overly harsh to Sash at FTC.

Shannon is a disgusting human being. I was glad that Jeff cut him off at the reunion. 

Lol @ Nay trying to say that what they do on a T.V. show shouldn't affect their jobs.  She certainly is delusional. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 3

I don't know if this was ever proven, but there could be a reason Jane was so harsh to Sash, and it's known as mortgage gate.  Allegedly, earlier in the game, Sash offered to help Jane pay off her mortgage if she helped him win.  That goes against the Survivor rules, as you can't make financial deals like that in order to get ahead in the game or get a promised jury vote.

Jeff barely ever talks to the back row at reunions, and I wish he had kept tradition when it came to Shannon.  Didn't need to see or hear from him again, and glad he's faded into Survivor oblivion.  Jimmy T was a good sport about his terrible game play, especially since he had been boasting about how everyone would want to play the game like him when it was all said and done.  Perfect example of someone trying to take control too fast, too soon.  

I have to say, I don't think Nicaragua would have been as bad a season if not for the tribe divisions and that stupid medallion of power.  In hindsight, I don't think the cast was particularly bad, although I can't say it was a final 3 that overly excited me.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know if this was ever proven, but there could be a reason Jane was so harsh to Sash, and it's known as mortgage gate.  Allegedly, earlier in the game, Sash offered to help Jane pay off her mortgage if she helped him win.  That goes against the Survivor rules, as you can't make financial deals like that in order to get ahead in the game or get a promised jury vote.

Jeff barely ever talks to the back row at reunions, and I wish he had kept tradition when it came to Shannon.  Didn't need to see or hear from him again, and glad he's faded into Survivor oblivion.  Jimmy T was a good sport about his terrible game play, especially since he had been boasting about how everyone would want to play the game like him when it was all said and done.  Perfect example of someone trying to take control too fast, too soon.  

I have to say, I don't think Nicaragua would have been as bad a season if not for the tribe divisions and that stupid medallion of power.  In hindsight, I don't think the cast was particularly bad, although I can't say it was a final 3 that overly excited me.  

I found it was plodding along toward being a completely servicable season, until the merge hit and 3 of the only people who were playing hard were axed immediately, followed by 2 players quitting. After that carnage, somebody winning was bound to feel like an afterthought. So I suppose Fabio's victory was the perfect cap to the season. 

I would be interested in seeing Holly return. I'm also one of the few NaOnka apologists, and thought she was playing well pre:quitting. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Ohhhhh, that's interesting RE: Jane and Sash. That would certainly explain her attitude towards him at the end.

I liked Jimmy T, but I felt that they spent way too much time on him during the reunion.  Probably because he's a famous sportsball coach. Idk.

I liked the season fine. I was a bit sad that there weren't any contestants in their 30's (my age group), and the "Old vs Young" concept was stooooopid (duh, who's going to dominate in challenges?) The medallion of power was also meh. I did enjoy the cast for the most part, and Fabio was nice to look at, so I was glad he stayed until the end :p 

I would be very happy to see Holly play again. I'm surprised she didn't get invited to Game Changers. (with how fast and loose they played with that terminology - she should have been a shoo in). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

I would be very happy to see Holly play again. I'm surprised she didn't get invited to Game Changers. (with how fast and loose they played with that terminology - she should have been a shoo in). 

Well, you know how it is. She didn't almost die for Survivor. *eyeroll*

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, simplyme said:

Well, you know how it is. She didn't almost die for Survivor. *eyeroll*

bwahahahahahahahaha. no. she only threw shoes into the river. pft. get a clue Holly. Almost die, and then we'll talk. 

• Love 2

Well, SimplyMom and I have reached Nicaraugua in our Survivor season watching (rewatching for me). We just slogged through the first five episodes. And I do mean slogged. I'd forgotten almost all of the season until I saw the cast again. I think it was a protective mental barrier that's now gone. I miss it.

Midway through episode 2, SimplyMom asked me, "Why are there so many crazy people this season?" And later, "There are very few of these people I like." Preaching to the choir, Mom.

• Love 4

I don't think there's any shame in moving on to another season for a while and maybe retrying from where you left off some other time. And to me, there's no shame in admitting you just can't get through a season if you've given it an honest try a few times. (I can't do S1. I know it's iconic. It just isn't for me. Six tries told me that. :P)

That said, my advice for watching/rewatching is that I thought focusing my attention on Holly and Fabio made it more tolerable. I noticed that Fabio acts like an idiot, but he knows immediately when someone misuses a big word. Watching Holly go from crazed and falling apart to a strategic, dominant player was interesting. Also, the less energy and attention I gave the really hateful characters, the better, I say.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, simplyme said:

I don't think there's any shame in moving on to another season for a while and maybe retrying from where you left off some other time. And to me, there's no shame in admitting you just can't get through a season if you've given it an honest try a few times.

Agreed.  I know that in my recent rewatches, there are a few seasons that I've been avoiding going back to because I don't want to watch the unpleasant behavior of certain cast members. (Like Rocky in Fiji, or Colton in One World, or the bandy-legged troll in any of his 3 appearances.)

That's why I'm glad for the recaps here and the ones still archived on TWoP.  They're usually enough for me to refer back to.

That said, I don't think this season is on my short list of "avoid rewatching".  So I'll probably come back to it at some point in the future.

• Love 3

Finally finished this one. I think one reason why it was so tough to slog through: everyone's game plan was to hope for the best rather than actively try to save themselves (aside from Sash, who burned everybody). And it made for a thrilling <eyeroll> ride.

Why the hell were the quitters on the jury, anyway? That's some horseshit right there. Of course, it means that Chase wins if there are only seven votes.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

Why the hell were the quitters on the jury, anyway? That's some horseshit right there. Of course, it means that Chase wins if there are only seven votes.

I think what happened is that this was the first time they had anyone get that far into the game and then quit so there was nothing in their rules that addressed the situation. Previously all other quits had been pre-jury. I think from a legal standpoint they were afraid to say Naonka and Purple Kelly couldn't be on the jury. I seem to recall Jeff making some comment (maybe during the reunion show?) about it not being a situation they'd thought to cover, but boy, was that gonna change.

I can't definitively say this is why, but it's what I ended up with as my impression.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2017 at 0:38 PM, simplyme said:

I think what happened is that this was the first time they had anyone get that far into the game and then quit so there was nothing in their rules that addressed the situation. Previously all other quits had been pre-jury.

janu.jpg.c2a95fbd8355a168dbd71e1feef07c7e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@SVNBob, you are brilliant! 

I had absolutely no memory of Janu (who apparently quit during Palau and made jury). What is interesting is that in looking her up, I found the real answer to why they let Naonka and Purple Kelly retain their jury standings:

https://www.today.com/popculture/probst-why-quitters-are-allowed-survivor-jury-1C9381468

The relevant bit:

"The reason they will both be members of the jury is because a precedent had already been set back when Janu quit in 'Survivor: Palau.' Janu quit the game but was allowed to be on the jury, so we used the same reasoning with Naonka and Purple Kelly. It wasn’t an emotional decision, just an issue of fairness."

He goes on to explain that yes, there is a major impact to the game when a player quits, but to ban the quitter(s) from the jury has a negative impact on those who are soldiering on. Consider Sash in this season. He was aligned with Purple Kelly, and denying her a spot on the jury could have punished him for playing a good game.

"We always strive to be fair," Probst wrote. "When you remove the emotion of the situation it’s easy that this was the 'fair' thing to do.  It wasn’t a popular decision on location and we understand that as fans you really don’t like it at all, but it was the fair decision."

Regardless of whether you agree that the decision was fair, Probst does hint that this latest mess may lead to tweaks in the rules: "Will we look to make changes in the rules from this point forward…? Consider that a big YES."

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Zima said:

I liked Jimmy T, but I felt that they spent way too much time on him during the reunion.  Probably because he's a famous sportsball coach. Idk.

Jimmy J (Johnson) was the famous football coach. I'm watching this season now and he was just eliminated. He was nicer than I thought he would be, kind of sweet, actually. He was so disappointed, he really wanted to play the game. This season is kind of a letdown after Heroes vs. Villains, which was a great season! Hard to follow that one. I don't know if I'll be able to handle Na'onka. She bugs me more than Russell. I can see why some people like her and think she's funny because she does make funny comments, but I've been on the receiving end of the kind of crap she was spewing at Fabio and I don't find it entertaining to watch.

Has anyone from this season shown up on another? The only person I recognize is Jimmy Johnson (from watching Dallas Cowboys).  I'm also getting excited to watch season 25 again as I get closer. That is the first full season I watched and am wondering what it will be like to watch it again. I saw bits and pieces of 24 - that's the Phillip, Cochrane and Boston Rob one?? There was a guy from a town close to me that was on so I watched it for awhile.

Note: there was a Jimmy T., but he was a fisherman and was instrumental in getting Jimmy J. voted out.

Another note: Redemption Island must be the one I'm thinking of, not season 24.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Brenda came back for Caramoan but the editors made her completely invisible until a certain unpleasant drama situation forced them to put her in the show. Even when she won immunities she didn't get talking heads.  It's totally bizarre!

And yet Brenda ended up SimplyMom's favorite from that season. Possibly mine too.

• Love 3
On 2017-10-25 at 4:37 AM, simplyme said:

And yet Brenda ended up SimplyMom's favorite from that season. Possibly mine too.

Mine, too. 

I fully own that this makes me a terrible person, but I loved everything about Teethgate. I relive it often when I tell somebody to do something and use Brenda's ice cold staccato delivery: "I want you. To take out. Your teeth, Dawn." 

It was delicious television, and it was a satisfying end to a season of Dawn's constant blubbering. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I am watching right now and what's fascinated me most this season is Marty's hair. When he puts the buff on his head and his gray hair sticks straight up. Today it is flopping a little. Also amazing how Dan is still in the game.

Did Teethgate happen before the merge? Or did it take place on Brenda's next season?

Regarding Fabio, I've been seeing this Paco Rabanne commercial playing while I watch previous Survivor seasons on CBS All Access and the model on there looks a lot like Fabio! I don't think it is because the model looks too young, but, it looks like him.

Just finished this season for the first time, I’m not sure why so many people consider this season the worst, I found it quite entertaining. Out of the 33 seasons I’ve seen, I’ve got it ranked 23. The MoP wasn’t much of factor and old vs young doesn’t bother me. I was surprised Chase got so many votes and Sash got zero. I wouldn’t mind seeing Fabio again as well as Marty, Holly, or Sash. A case could be made for NaOnka on a villains tribe, I mean they brought Colton back. 

(edited)

I'm rewatching this for the first time. Allow me to recap episode 1:

Jimmy Johnson: I'm Jimmy Johnson.

Player 1: That's Jimmy Johnson!

Player 2:  Jimmy Johnson!

Player 3:  Jimmy Johnson!

Player 4: How can that be Jimmy Johnson? Jimmy Johnson coached the Cowboys and the Dolphins.

Player 5: That's him! He's the guy! He's Jimmy Johnson!

Player 6:  Jimmy Johnson!

Player 7:  Jimmy Johnson!

Player 8: Did you know he was Jimmy Johnson?

Player 9: I used to cheer for the Dolphins so I knew that was Jimmy Johnson.

Player 10: JIMMY JOHHHHNNSON GAVE ME A PEP TALK!

Jimmy T: Must kill Jimmy Johnson. Kill. Kill.

I have long said this was a terrible season, and two episodes in, it's still not looking great, but subsequently there have been worse seasons, so this one is maybe just medium-bad now. Also, how could I have forgotten Tyrone and his glorious side-eye? A deadpan, "Oh, but Wendy, you look so young" followed by both eyes trying to exit the right side of his head.

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Naonka was just as awful to Fabio and Marty, so I don't think it had much to do with Kelly B's leg; she just decides to hate someone and then picks something about them to justify it, not realizing that her reasons for hating someone only reflect badly on her. The way Fabio talks, Marty's hair and walk, Kelly's leg -- she actually thinks people will agree that those are good reasons to yell, "I DON'T LIKE YOU" in someone's face.

• Love 2

I didn’t think this season was as terrible as I’ve seen it ranked. I’ve been going through all the seasons (and since season 9 they’ve all been new to me) and maybe I was just so relieved at not having Russell on my screen FINALLY that it did not seem so bad. 

No problem with Fabio as a winner. Jane is tough and I liked her. I liked Dan, too, despite myself.

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, Jean-Beth said:

I just quit my third attempt at re-watching this season.  I CANNOT deal with Na’Onka’s shitty treatment of, and attitude towards, Kelly Bruno.  How hard would it have been for Na’Onka to just tell Kelly that she didn’t want her in the game because she might get sympathy votes if she makes it to FTC?  Still unpleasant for Kelly to hear; many others felt the same way but did not want to admit it to her.  No need to be as hateful as Na’Onka was; I suppose getting that extra camera time may have been a factor too.

Na'Onka may be the worst human being, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, to ever play the game.  She was nasty, stupid, ugly a thief, a bully and a total coward.   She did all her bullying and tough girl confessionals one minute, then the next minute she is weeping because it is raining or quitting the game.  It is frightening that she is (was?) a school teacher. 

• Love 3

Just wathced episode 6.  When Brenda came up with the plan to split the votes on Marty and Kelly B, I thought she was a strategic mastermind.  Then, when they voted Kelly B out on the revote and left Marty in the game, with his idol, she looked like a total moron.  

What was their obsession with Kelly B and her "fake leg"?  Has anyone ever won on a "sympathy vote" without playing a good game?  Even if they did fear the fake leg vote, they had plenty of time to get rid of her.

Marty was also an idiot for not playing his idol.

Also, why did Espada kill and eat one of the egg laying hens, before the rooster?  Did they need an alarm clock, that badly?

I guess Fabio really was the smartest moron on the island.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3

I can't believe Marty gave Sash the idol.  There was nothing to gain.  He would have been better off using it, and having nobody have it than to give it to your adversary.  Plus, if he used it, it would have been rehidden and maybe he could have found it again.

Then Sash and Brenda decide to vote out Jane, instead of the bigger threat in Marty.

It's like these people are playing a game where  they compete to be the biggest moron. and everybody is winning.

Say what you want about modern Survivor, but I don't see many totally and obviously idiotic moves, like I have been seeing in these older seasons.

• Love 2

As far as the obsession with Kelly's leg, some of that was editing.  This season had one of the more infamous examples of edit manipulation in the history of the show.  It was a "confessional" from Brenda where she talked about how they needed to vote Kelly out because of her leg.  I put confessional in quotes because it was really a splice of two separate confessionals where they edited into one  confessionals. It was pretty obvious.  One it was a voice over so you never actually saw Brenda talking and two the tone of her voice changed in the middle. Andy Dehnert over at Reality Blurred picked this up right away and slammed the producers in his column the next day.  Na'Onka was really the only one who had an obsession with Kelly's leg though I have longed believed they kept on using the same confessional from her over and over again. But that is just a theory.

• Love 2

Nicaragua was like if everyone on the island was following Dr. Sean's Alphabet Strategy, or literally pulling names out of a hat, or rolling dice, or receiving oracles from the Survivor gods in the whispering rustle of wind through the palm fronds.  No vote made any sense.  Almost every season has a sort of line you can follow, whether a perfectly straight shot like Redemption Island or a wild up and down roller coaster like David VS Goliath: but Nicaragua is just a scribble.  It's tribal tonight, someone has to get voted out, might as well be Alina, I guess.  Someone has to win, let's say Fabio, why not.  A season typed by monkeys, that looks kind of like a game of Survivor if you squint, except that nobody was actually playing.  They were pulling colored cards like Candyland.

Nevertheless I do believe Fabio is a decent winner who doesn't deserve his "worst winner ever" reputation.  It's not like anybody else knew what they were doing, and Fabio was more athletic and charming (and hotttttt) than most of 'em, and actually showed some awareness, late in the game, that there is a jury and they make a certain decision at the end so it's in his interest to get them to like him better than the other people there.

• Love 3

I am trying to make a list of all the dumb things people did in Nicaragua.

Shannon self destructs at his first TC, asking Sash if he is gay.

Sash does his best to look as bad as Shannon by boasting about all the girls he gets in NYC, but Shannon had set the douchebag bar  a bit too high.

Dan brings a $1400 pair of alligator shoes.

Holly fills his shoes with sand and puts them in the ocean.

Dan constantly brags about how rich he is.

Na'Onaka steals Fabio's socks and goes off on him when he asks her about it.

Jill helps Marty find the idol instead of finding it herself.

Brenda helps Na'Onaka find the idol instead of finding it herself.

Espada votes off Jimmy Johnson, who is a great leader, provides fish,  doesn't even care about the money and is no threat to win.

Na'Onaka and perhaps others obsess about getting Kelly B and her fake leg out of the game ASAP, as if they are not playing Survivor, but some game called Sob Story, where sympathy vote is what wins.

Chase trusts Brenda, because she is hot and hot girls are always trustworthy.  Brenda laughs about him in confessionals.

Brenda trusts Sash who is obviously, as Jane put it, a NYC river rat.

Sash thinks he can win by stabbing all his allies in the back.  

Marty doesn't play his idol, despite being on the chopping block.

Brenda has a brilliant vote split plan to flush Marty's idol, and vote out Kelly B, or Marty.  When Marty foolishly doesn't play his idol, they vote out Kelly on the revote, leaving Marty in the game with his idol.  I guess a fake leg is more powerful than a hidden immunity idol?

Sash blackmails Marty, and Marty gives him his idol?  Huh, he totally puts himself at Sash's mercy, and makes his enemy more powerful.  Plus if he played it, the merge might have come, or he might have found it again when it was re-hidden.

Sash doesn't immediately vote out the guy whose idol he just extorted.  Instead, he keeps him around to make the merge and the jury.  Was Sash's plan to fill the jury with as many people possible who hated him?  He keeps a pre-merge promise to an arch enemy, but stabs his allies in the back, post merge?

Espada wins 2 egg laying hens and a rooster, who is only noisy and tasty and nutritious.  They kill one of the hens first.  Were they afraid that without the rooster they might oversleep and forfeit a challenge?

Na'Onaka gets mad that after she cooked tortillas they left her with a small one.  So, instead of using the flour and frying pan to make herself a larger one, she steals the flour, pan and a bunch of other stuff and hides it and steals and eats a bunch of fruit.

Alina, who is on the  chopping  block, and who Na'Onaka hates, catches her and instead of reporting her, joins in eating the forbidden fruit.

Libertad is afraid the rain and wind will put out their fire, so they surround it with wooden chests containing all their supplies and equipment before going off to a challenge.  They apparently did not know why fireplaces, ovens and barbeques are generally not made out of wood.

Na'Onaka and Purple Kelly want to quit because, unlike on all other seasons of Survivor, it sometimes gets a little wet and cold.  Na'Onaka's team wins the reward.  Jeff offers rice and a new tarp if just one person will give up reward.  Na'Onaka, instead of going out a hero refuses, forcing Holly to make the sacrifice. 

Forget about how horrifically selfish this was, it was just as idiotic.  Ponderosa has way better food than the movie theater crap, plus a hot shower, warm comfortable bed, etc.  By being "unselfish" she would have gotten a much better "reward", but she chose the selfish path.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Jill helps Marty find the idol instead of finding it herself.

Jill didn't just help him; she found the idol and then instead of picking it up for herself, she pointed to it so Marty could pick it up. I can put up with a lot of things from players, but being that dumb is not one of them.

• Love 6
On 1/5/2019 at 2:23 AM, KimberStormer said:

Nicaragua was like if everyone on the island was following Dr. Sean's Alphabet Strategy, or literally pulling names out of a hat, or rolling dice, or receiving oracles from the Survivor gods in the whispering rustle of wind through the palm fronds.  No vote made any sense.  Almost every season has a sort of line you can follow, whether a perfectly straight shot like Redemption Island or a wild up and down roller coaster like David VS Goliath: but Nicaragua is just a scribble.  It's tribal tonight, someone has to get voted out, might as well be Alina, I guess.  Someone has to win, let's say Fabio, why not.  A season typed by monkeys, that looks kind of like a game of Survivor if you squint, except that nobody was actually playing.  They were pulling colored cards like Candyland.

Nevertheless I do believe Fabio is a decent winner who doesn't deserve his "worst winner ever" reputation.  It's not like anybody else knew what they were doing, and Fabio was more athletic and charming (and hotttttt) than most of 'em, and actually showed some awareness, late in the game, that there is a jury and they make a certain decision at the end so it's in his interest to get them to like him better than the other people there.

I'm legit curious, KIMBERSTORMER, who would you list as your worst winner from a gameplay perspective? 

• Love 1

(Caveat that I still have seasons to catch up on)  I think I gotta say Ben these days.  Although I enjoyed his double agent strategy in the mid-merge, needing all those idols means you are bad at Survivor, and needing them to literally change the rules and ruin the game to save you because you can't even win one immunity means you are a catastrophically bad winner.  Before Ben I would say Bob, who just happened to appeal to Sugar not even really through any efforts of his own to do so.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2019 at 9:04 AM, ByaNose said:

I saw Ben Henry this weekend on House Hunters: Renovation. He's a contractor in Denver. I knew him right away. He looks exactly the same.

Benry? Seem to remember him as an ok player but kinda bland.