Type keyword(s) to search

S08: All Stars

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think a lot of it may have just been the times.  When you look at older seasons of Survivor (or really any reality show) there's a lot of things I tend to do a double take on because I know they wouldn't fly today.  I remember a few contestants who spoke out after they were voted off about the Sue/Rich incident and they said they didn't think much about it, and thought Sue was being overdramatic when she blew up at Jeff (it might have been Jenna Lewis who said she didn't realize she was really that upset at first and thought she was being a drama queen).  

If they do an all winners season, I'd be shocked if they didn't ask him.  Of course TPTB may not think much of him trying to say there was cheating going on and that they promised to pay the taxes on his winnings, so who knows.  They'd probably be likely to not ask him back for that reason over anything else.  

I can give them a little bit of a pass on not realizing it since Sue's blowup occurred quite a bit after the incident itself. As it was happening, she didn't appear to have that much of a response and Richard's nudity was such a common occurrence, so I can see someone not realizing how much it bothered her. To be clear, I'm not saying it WASN'T a big deal that he did what he did, just that given the sequence of events, I can understand why other people didn't know how Sue personally felt. If she'd exploded in the moment, I do wonder how it might have affected the handling of the whole thing. As it happened, she basically removed herself from the game, rather than demand that Richard be removed, so the show was able to skate around dealing with it.

I don't think Richard would be invited back after all that went on with the tax evasion and stuff. Plus, I don't see him doing well if he did come back.

After Sue left, Kathy was mad because Sue brought everyone else into her "circle of hate" (or something like that) and made everyone else uncomfortable. I didn't see her first season, but she is really unlikeable here.

Kathy drove me bananas with her pronouncements. She was totally tone-deaf about herself and the way she came across, but she sure was quick to criticize everyone else. And if Sue had a "circle of hate," what would she call the full-scale meltdown that she and Lex had? 

In her first season, she clearly benefited from the editing needing to portray her somewhat positively because she made it so far. She apparently didn't click with her tribe given that her name was always thrown out as an early boot, she just happened to be on a winning tribe that didn't visit tribal that often and once she did start having to go, the Roku 4 had drawn giant targets on themselves and were the big fish that needed to be fried first. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I've been watching Lex explain to Ethan and others how he had to vote them out to further himself in the game and how it had nothing to do with their friendship but was "just business" and how friendship had no place in Survivor. I didn't appreciate the editing when I first watched it because I didn't know what was coming.

I don't understand why Lex felt he needed to tell people they were being voted out, though. That's really never a good plan. Whenever someone says, "I don't care if you tell her. What can she do about it?" you know the person talking is in trouble.

Basically, I kind of think Lex is an idiot.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think a lot of it may have just been the times.  When you look at older seasons of Survivor (or really any reality show) there's a lot of things I tend to do a double take on because I know they wouldn't fly today.  I remember a few contestants who spoke out after they were voted off about the Sue/Rich incident and they said they didn't think much about it, and thought Sue was being overdramatic when she blew up at Jeff (it might have been Jenna Lewis who said she didn't realize she was really that upset at first and thought she was being a drama queen).  

If they do an all winners season, I'd be shocked if they didn't ask him.  Of course TPTB may not think much of him trying to say there was cheating going on and that they promised to pay the taxes on his winnings, so who knows.  They'd probably be likely to not ask him back for that reason over anything else.  

Very true.  This season did air fifteen years ago, if someone like this had happened last season I have no doubt the harasser would be immediately ejected.

I know they tried to get Richard for HvV but I think he was still on probation so I wouldn't past Probst and the casting gurus to get him for an all winners, especially if they went really old school and filmed on Palau Tiga.  And I'm not saying because of age but he likely wouldn't do well, he'd be cannon fodder so all the others would be like "woo woo we got Hatch out."

Edited by kittykat

The show should take a HARD pass at Richard. We live in an era where no baggage stays in the past and CBS is currently going through massive upheaval over sexual harassment charges. The Sue situation would definitely pop up again, probably along with Ghandia/Ted and Crystal/Bob.  That's just the stuff I remember off the top of my head. Who knows what else there is that didn't slip out into the fandom? That stuff can snowball very fast. 

I don't think Richard's worth the hassle to the show. 

• Love 3

All Stars made me change my mind about so many contestants. I hated Rob and Jerri on their first seasons and I ended up liking them here especially Rob. I loved Kathy on Marquesas and found her whiny here. I didn't have a strong opinion of Lex in Africa but I thought he was a huge hypocrite in All Stars. I thought Rupert was ok during Pearl Islands but I think he is the dumbest person to ever play Survivor. That shelter was a disgrace and he allowed Rob to manipulate he and Big Tom.

• Like 1