Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Borneo

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It would be really interesting to see more Borneo people play. Gretchen would be the most interesting because she was so "it's about survival" and that is like so not what this game is about now. I wonder if she'd be Kelly and just... be a ghost out there. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Daisy said:

It would be really interesting to see more Borneo people play. Gretchen would be the most interesting because she was so "it's about survival" and that is like so not what this game is about now. I wonder if she'd be Kelly and just... be a ghost out there. 

Besides Gretchen, the only other person I can see them inviting back from Borneo would be Greg.  We've already had a good chunk of the cast (Hatch, Sue, Rudy, Kelly, Gervase, Jenna).  I know they've asked Colleen, but she's always turned them down, and seems to have completely moved on from anything involving Survivor.  But I don't know if we'll see anyone else from this cast again, besides Hatch.  I would actually be curious to see him play again, with how much the game has evolved.  During the first season, he was the only one besides Joel that seemed to know that this wasn't going to be just survival based.  Yet, he used the survival based approach as another form of strategy, whereas everyone else just did it because they had to.  Somehow, I think Gretchen would probably be invisible.  It seems like old school players, especially those playing for the first time so many years later, are still stuck in what Survivor use to be.  When Gretchen first played, she thought it was going to be more based on the survival approach rather than backstabbing, lying, and manipulating.

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Besides Gretchen, the only other person I can see them inviting back from Borneo would be Greg.  We've already had a good chunk of the cast (Hatch, Sue, Rudy, Kelly, Gervase, Jenna).  I know they've asked Colleen, but she's always turned them down, and seems to have completely moved on from anything involving Survivor.  But I don't know if we'll see anyone else from this cast again, besides Hatch.  I would actually be curious to see him play again, with how much the game has evolved.  During the first season, he was the only one besides Joel that seemed to know that this wasn't going to be just survival based.  Yet, he used the survival based approach as another form of strategy, whereas everyone else just did it because they had to.  Somehow, I think Gretchen would probably be invisible.  It seems like old school players, especially those playing for the first time so many years later, are still stuck in what Survivor use to be.  When Gretchen first played, she thought it was going to be more based on the survival approach rather than backstabbing, lying, and manipulating.

True. but I have also read that Gretchen is a big big survivor fan. so she'd know the trajectory of the show at least. (this doesn't mean mentally she'd be there, just that it wouldn't be all ho-hum). Like Kelly Wigglesworth was a big waste o'time. Greg would be interesting too. like you always knew there was something else there but I think he was so ... over the game at a certain point. That's just the feeling i got. 

I know people can't even even with Hatch - but I would honestly like to see him play in New Survivor. where it's nothing but strategy. He's oddly old school that he goes out and provides (and withholds when he gets votes on him). But he's mid-school that he can sort of blend both together and be flexible, but he was really ALL ABOUT THE NEXT MOVE way before anyone else on the show ever imagined. like He's all "three eras" of Survivor wrapped up in 1 person on the 1st season.  I think the only thing he didn't experience (and why would he) would be HII's and Tribe swaps (I do think he got voted out before the "swap" happened on All Stars.) 

Gretchen was in the running for BvsW with her daughter, and said she was disappointed they weren't picked.  She thought her daughter would have done really well and wanted her to have that experience.  Would have rather seen them over Tina and Katie, but I've never been a Tina fan.  I do think it would have been hard for Gretchen to adapt to new school Survivor.  She, and the rest of Pagong (minus Joel) wanted to play the game survival based and fair.  Look at how their votes were all over the place in the first two merge boots.  In the post Gretchen vote ep, some of the Pagong members were even talking about the Tagi alliance and made comments like 'if you want to play that way.'  I don't know how Greg would do nowadays.  I'm intrigued, but I also think he was more about the survival based aspect, too, and playing the character.  I do think he could have been a challenge beast had he lasted, which is why they got rid of him.  He was supposed to go before Gretchen, except he won that immunity.  Which means Kelly probably would have ended up winning the season, because I don't believe Gretchen would have voted for Rich (especially after Sue's speech).  

Rich would probably study hard, as I doubt he'd want to crash and burn early.  I don't know if he'd come in over confident, or if he'd stand back and hope he's being underestimated.  It'd be interesting how he'd do, and what his tribe mates would think of playing with him.  As for Kelly, she hated playing with an alliance the first time.  It seemed like mentally she took a beating.  She's outdoorsy, so I can get why she was more focused on the camp life aspect.  I can also see her not giving into "my second chance!" story line that the castaways are forced to talk about in every TH and convo with Jeff.  Seeing Kelly again was strange.  Off the Survivor radar, then came back but barely campaigned to even her a second chance, invisible during the season, then gets into a thing with Joe and tried to pursue a new show and is embracing the limelight (sort of), and now she's back off the grid again.

I'm just watching this season now (I really don't recall if I've ever seen it before) and I am very amused at how low-key everything is. Even Jeff is kind of mellow.  The music is cracking me up, though. It sounds like it came from a hippie/stoner movie made in the late 60s, especially the music played during the challenges.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1