6 Jeffery

7 Madi

8 Emily

9 Amy

10 Zach

13 Barrett

...35 Shelby. Poor her.

Climb, Amy, climb!

Oh crap Shelby! Judging by this, it doesn't look good for her but I think she deserves to be in the finals

• Love 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.  I feel better now.  I am so ready for this season to be over.  So very, very ready.  From Barrett's smarminess to Braiden's pulling out the Jesus moment to the bizarre doors opening and closing behind Jeffrey to whateverthefuck that conglomeration of vocal ticks Madi put forth was to a whole lot of boring and then Jordan screeching like his nut sack was being mauled by a wild badger, let's just put a fork in it.  Shall we? 

• Love 13

I got far more enjoyment out of the cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie I simultaneously watched while watching The Voice tonight.  Now, I fully admit, I kinda like those cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies, but I used to love The Voice.  The past few seasons have been underwhelming but this season has sunk to a new low.  None of the singers are all that remarkable or memorable. 

Agree with Adam about Madi's set...  It was cool and I'd like to hang out there.  Her song?  Not so much.  I get so tired of these singers (girl or guy) who are just too twee for words and re-arrange every song they ever sing to suit their limited voices (I'm lookin' at you, Sawyer, amongst many others).  Zach was okay but when the original is by Miley Cyrus, the bar is set pretty low when it comes to improvement.  Shelby was fine but boring.  Same with Jeffrey.  I'm praying that Barrett goes home, but I've been praying for that for weeks.  Should finally happen this week, thank goodness. 

I'm with the rest who will get really stabby if Braiden advances to the final because he and Gwen pandered to the audience with a religious song.  The kid has been skating by for weeks and needs to go, so I'm likely to be annoyed tomorrow night. 

Jordan - again, reiterating what others have said, he's no Freddie Mercury, and I really didn't like it.  The gospel choir made it tolerable but he wasn't all that great on his own. 

Emily Ann was decent but, like Jordan is no Freddie Mercury, she's no Dolly Parton.  I find her voice to be really thin and while she did bring energy to her performance, she's just not quite ready.  I really wish that Blake had visited the Alison Krauss songbook for Emily Ann at least once this season.  Maybe next week if she gets to the final. 

Best for the night, for me, was Amy.  She sounded beautiful on a beautiful, haunting song.  She really should be in the final.  I hope those iTunes rankings change some overnight and she moves up.  I might even have to go on iTunes and buy her version because it really was just lovely.  And, just an FYI, I haven't bought anything for this show since Amber Carrington.

• Love 3

Full disclosure, this season of the Voice finally reached the selected videos on youtube stage of my reality tv weekly consumption.

The No Chance at the Finals/Thanks for Playing Along

Shelby...even a modern country spiritual (She'd already used up her Jesus take the Wheel card) wasn't going to save her from an 8th or 9th place finish. I really think her and Adam should've explored more of her rock side. Anything to draw some contrast with everyone else...

Zach...that's how you decide to go out Zach? On the epic empowerment ode by the immortal Miley Cyrus? Okay then.

Do I expect either to take Nashville and the Country Music scene by storm? Nope. Would I be shocked if one of them is heard from again, not totally.

The At least the Possibility of the Twitter Save if not Directly Qualifying for the Finale Logjam

Madi....I'd stick her in the previous group but for her solid performances on Itunes throughout the season. I think she's artificially artistic and unpleasant to listen to more often than not. This wasn't even one of her better songs either. Why not do Don Ho's Tiny Bubbles and be done with it?

Braiden....Didn't listen, won't comment on the performance. Cynical props for saving the religious carpet bomb of a song until the semi-final. Might be enough to knock a more deserving contestant into the vagaries of the three way twitter save battle.

Barrett....At first I thought maybe this was Blake's attempt to draw voters away from Barrett to Emily to guarantee one of his country mafia makes the finale. But then as I thought more about this song as a Modern pop spiritual (The going down to the river to pray line in the chorus could almost be Pavlovian lol)....I'd only be shocked if he's bottom three and out. Probably in the twitter save mix, but I wouldn't rule out top 3 either.

Emily Ann...Didn't love this song choice, and thought she took a half a step back compared to her last couple performances. Still, at the very least she has to make the twitter battle and I'd favor her over every contestant other than Amy.

Jeffery...Cher's amazing electro disco anthem dullified. Great. On overall merit I suppose he deserves to be in the finale....but I could do w/out him because I can already hear the song in my head that he'd do next week. And I'm bored.

Amy....Yes. You did the genre flip twice in a row, I'm glad Adam let her go back to something more in her wheelhouse. I will be sad if she's not in the finale (and other than Emily Ann she's the only person I will remotely care about post-Voice).

The Crown Him Already Division

Jordan.....Didn't listen; Won't listen or care. Enjoy your win. Hopefully the Contemporary Christian market is welcoming...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

I am so tired of Jeffrey making every song he sings sound depressing. I thought he totally sucked with that butchering of Cher's song, no matter that he has a good voice or not. The bottom line is always: would I buy his CD or pay to see him in concert? And the answer is no.

I thought that Jordan's version of Somebody To Love would take third place, after Freddie Mercury and George Michaels. And you need a choir backing that song up to get the wall of sound; there was nothing religious about that.

Madi was interesting and she sang well, but I really disliked her twee-ing of a Four Seasons' song. I can't stand the black hat affectation either.

I just rolled my eyes at Braiden pulling out the God card, though I thought he sang well. But that pandering was just too obvious - and I'm someone who actually likes Amazing Grace.

Emily Ann could have been a bit spunkier singing 9 to 5; she was competing with Dolly's dimples, after all.

I like Amy, but I don't think that song choice helped her. Dylan is always sort of a "meh" for me anyway. I don't think Zach sang badly, but I would have been happier with an uptempo song choice. Barrett's song didn't impress me. I liked Shelby's performance, but I think she is a longshot .

Edited by DownTheShore

I do think this was easily my favorite of Jordan’s performances. For once he seemed to be completely 100% into it. Too often in the past he has seemed to be relying almost entirely on his vocals.

I also really enjoyed Jeffery’s take on that old Cher classic.  I can see why some complain about his string of somber performances, but I for one don’t want only upbeat songs.

Having said that, for me the most entertaining performance of the night was Madi’s. I was seriously questioning the song choice before-hand, but loved what she did with it. I’m glad she’s on Pharrell’s team because of the freedom he gives his contestants to do their own thing.

I was also impressed by how well Emily Ann handled 9 to 5.  It’s not an easy one to sing.  She’s come a long way.

I would be quite happy with those four making it through.  Good thing then that they also happen to be the four songs currently charting the highest on iTunes.  If any of those four don’t make it through, then I hope Amy is the one who takes their place.

Of the rest, I do think Zach and Braiden gave their best performances in some time, Shelby was okay, while Barrett came down quite sharply from where he was last week.  Ghost was a horrible song choice and he did not do a good job with it.

• Love 8

Itunes ranking is very interesting. 8 are in the top 10

1 - Jordan

3 - Jeffrey

4 - Madi

5 - Amy

6 - Emily

7 - Braiden

9 - Zach

10 - Barrett

18 - Shelby

As per digital sales, Jordan has 78K sales, Jeffrey / Madi / Amy / Emily / Braiden have 18K-22K sales

Close call for the next 4 after Jordan. 

Here's what I don't get about Sunshine Day all of a sudden beaming into the top 10 on iTunes.  Even if Amazing Grace is one's favorite song ever of all time, how many arrangements of it can you have?  I have favorite songs, but I don't want 20 copies of them. And if it's not a good version, sung flat by a 15-year-old, is that worth buying just because of the love of the song?  It must be, but I definitely can't see it.

• Love 4

And no one outside of Freddie Mercury and George Michael have ever begun to do that song justice, so I wish everyone else would just step off.

That performance was everything I hate about singing competitions: oversung, overwrought, overdone.  Just awful.  Freddie Mercury had to have been spinning in his grave after that abomination.

I only saw a few performances all season, but I truly enjoyed Amy's.  It was lovely, understated and emotional without being overwrought.

So, of course, Jordan will make the finals (and probably win) and Amy most likely won't.  Because people who vote for shows like this tend to prefer overdone.

• Love 2

Itunes ranking is very interesting. 8 are in the top 10

1 - Jordan

3 - Jeffrey

4 - Madi

5 - Amy

6 - Emily

7 - Braiden

9 - Zach

10 - Barrett

18 - Shelby

As per digital sales, Jordan has 78K sales, Jeffrey / Madi / Amy / Emily / Braiden have 18K-22K sales

Close call for the next 4 after Jordan. 

Rankings as of 10:00 EST:

1 - Jordan

3 - Jeffrey

4 - Emily Ann

5 - Amy

6 - Madi

7 - Braiden 

9 - Zach

10 - Barrett (Who is voting for him?)

Shelby not in the top 10.  

If iTunes is any type of barometer at this junction (since it hasn't been as much this season), then I'm happy with any of this top five being the top four.  I think Emily Ann has really grown on the show, so I hope she makes the top 3.  I'll be happy with either Madi or Amy as 4th, but I give the slight edge to Madi because I enjoy her more.  I hope Jeffrey also makes the top 3 since I know Jordan is the preordained winner.  

• Love 5

Well. I'm not actually voting for anyone, but for some reason I find myself entertained by Barrett. So, maybe the voters are other sad, middle-aged ladies like me who think he's kind of cute and appreciate he's not doing a dirge? Ha. And just can't find Zach cute because he's SOOOO young.

Also, as someone who is not a faithful watcher, I just can't really understand the Jordan appeal. His voice is lovely, but I have no concept of what he's really into, and can't see what kind of music he'd turn out. That's why I consistently like Amy, I think, because I can see the kind of music she'd create and it's probably music I'd like.

Edited by KateeBar
  • Love 3

Rankings as of 10:00 EST:

1 - Jordan

3 - Jeffrey

4 - Emily Ann

5 - Amy

6 - Madi

7 - Braiden 

9 - Zach

10 - Barrett (Who is voting for him?)

Shelby not in the top 10.  

If iTunes is any type of barometer at this junction (since it hasn't been as much this season), then I'm happy with any of this top five being the top four.  I think Emily Ann has really grown on the show, so I hope she makes the top 3.  I'll be happy with either Madi or Amy as 4th, but I give the slight edge to Madi because I enjoy her more.  I hope Jeffrey also makes the top 3 since I know Jordan is the preordained winner.  

This makes me want to go buy Shelby's song. It won't matter because if everyone is in the top 10- doubling the votes won't make a difference.  But the more I think about it.  Shelby just doesn't have a fan base.  She's mostly country but not on Blake's team.  She's in a season where everyone is young, so being Only17! isn't a big deal.  I really like her voice and I like that she's grown a lot on this show.  I don't think she'll make the finals, but I'd be really happy if she did.  I hope the voice was a good experience for her and that she continues growing and improving.  She may be one of the "Voice kids" who doesn't become a superstar by winning (ha! like anyone has) but someday will be a star and it will be a trivia question: What reality TV show did Shelby Brown appear on in her teens?

ETA: Oh and- I'm fine with the top 4 being the finalists.  I'd also be fine with Madi instead of Amy.  I don't really love either of them. I have a slight personal preference for Amy but I generally like the idea of each coach having 1 contestant in the finals.  I don't want that to be the rule because sometimes one coach really does have multiples that should be in the finals- but this season its evenly matched so I'd be happy to see each of them with a "horse in the race."

Edited by Kcat1971
  • Love 1

I'm confused.  Didn't Blake say that Dolly Parton would be there as a "mentor" for all of the contestants this week?  It doesn't seem like she worked with any of them, though.  I suppose it's possible that she did and they're saving the footage for tonight.  But, if so, why?

Barrett continues to grate on me.  His version of "dancing" is doing quick, shallow squats like he's trying to pinch a load.  And his repeated use of that plane crash reminds me of the "Andrea Doria Survivor" bit on Seinfeld.

This season seems to very heavy on cliche'd reality-show-singing-competition-"power"-songs like Hallelujah and Somebody to Love.  

Braiden just seems so out of his depth with his song choices (and looks too much like Jack Osborne for my taste).  

• Love 1

I know that Show manipulated me with the Jordan Big Finish Finale.  I know that's what the choir was there for, and the bombastic witnessing.  I know all that but I don't hold it against Jordan.  I fell for the cheese because I LOVE CHEESE !!!  It was entertaining as hell and, even though he doesn't need it, I threw Jordan some votes.  Because, in the end, this is an entertainment show and not a cure for cancer.  And I was thoroughly entertained.

• Love 9

Blake did say that and last night they said she would be on tonight-i'm assuming it's filmed not on the live show..  Not sure why they'd show the mentor the day after they sang--but Dolly is everywhere promoting her NBC movie so maybe it is tied to that.

Based on iTunes from each round:
Top Auditions - Jordan, Amy, Shelby, Barrett (All made T100; next highest is below #300.)
Top Battles - Barrett, Mark, Korin, Jordan, Amy (The ones who made T200.)
Top Knockouts - Amy, Jordan, Madi, Braiden, Korin (The ones who made T100.)
Top Playoffs - Jordan, Emily, Barrett, Zach, Madi
T12 - Jordan, Amy, Jeffery, Barrett, Emily
T11 - Amy, Jordan, Emily, Madi, Jeffery
T10 - Jordan, Barrett, Emily, Madi, Jeffery

T9 - Jordan, Jeffery, Emily, Madi, Amy (though the 3 ladies are very close to each other)

Most consistent: #1 Jordan - 1st, 2nd, 4th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st
#2 Amy - 1st, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 5th

#3 Barrett - 3rd, 1st, 4th, 4th, 2nd (Avg 2.8), but he picked a bad week to be on the lower end, and he's more pre-lives-skewed than the 2 girls right below him.
#4 Emily - 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd (Avg 3.2)
#5 Madi - 5th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th (Avg 4.0)

#6 Jeffery - 5th, 3rd, 5th, 2nd
#7 Korin - 5th, 3rd (but neither of them live)
1 placement - Zach (lives); Braiden, Shelby, Mark
Nothing - Evan

Lives only, going to T6, Most consistent: #1 Jordan - 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st
#2 Emily - 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd (+2 positions)
#3 Jeffery - 5th, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 6th (+3 positions)
#4 Amy - 2nd, 1st, 5th, 6th (-2 positions)
#5 Madi - 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th (=)
#6 Barrett - 4th, 4th, 2nd, 6th (-3 positions)
#7 Zach - 4th, 6th
#8 Braiden - 6th
#9 Shelby

Edited by jjjmoss

This makes me want to go buy Shelby's song. It won't matter because if everyone is in the top 10- doubling the votes won't make a difference.  But the more I think about it.  Shelby just doesn't have a fan base.  She's mostly country but not on Blake's team.  She's in a season where everyone is young, so being Only17! isn't a big deal.  I really like her voice and I like that she's grown a lot on this show.  I don't think she'll make the finals, but I'd be really happy if she did.  I hope the voice was a good experience for her and that she continues growing and improving.  She may be one of the "Voice kids" who doesn't become a superstar by winning (ha! like anyone has) but someday will be a star and it will be a trivia question: What reality TV show did Shelby Brown appear on in her teens?

ETA: Oh and- I'm fine with the top 4 being the finalists.  I'd also be fine with Madi instead of Amy.  I don't really love either of them. I have a slight personal preference for Amy but I generally like the idea of each coach having 1 contestant in the finals.  I don't want that to be the rule because sometimes one coach really does have multiples that should be in the finals- but this season its evenly matched so I'd be happy to see each of them with a "horse in the race."

I think Shelby's very talented, but I also think she's lucky to have gone this far with Adam's team. I hope she's enjoyed working with Adam as she hoped and I don't feel sorry for her at all for not advancing beyond Top 9.  This may sound harsher than I mean it to, but if it was just about her career, I'm still flabbergasted that she turned down Blake when he asked her to choose him and promised to make things happen for her career-wise "no matter what happens on the show".

We know that he has the best post-show follow-through of any Voice coach and he's never said that before in a pitch so--if it was all about her career, I still think she was stupid to choose Adam. Of course, if it was about "growing as an artist" instead, as she said, then I hope that worked out for her with Adam, I really do. (But I still think it was a dumb move to pass up that great opportunity Blake offered, so if her choice means she vanishes into obscurity like 99% of the other Voice contestants, at least she had an opportunity that no one else did and it was her own decision not to take it.)

If F4 worked out as Jeffrey, Madi, Emily Ann and Jordan, the nice thing would be for every coach to be represented for a change at the end, as Jordan marches toward coronation.  It could happen, too, as a face off of Madi, Amy and Zach/Barrett/Braiden might get some "Pharrell sympathy votes tipping the difference for Madi, esp. since she's been F4 worthy throughout the season, unlike Zach or Braiden (and I can't stand Barrett, but based on voting, I guess he's been competitive as well)

• Love 1

Wow, great performance by Jordan in this episode.  I haven't cared for much of his stuff this season, but that was such a fun, entertaining performance. Of course unbelievable vocals, but it was so great to hear him sing uptempo and be totally invested in the performance.  It also seemed like he fed off of the gospel choir and that helped to make the performance that much better.  I don't know where else the performance could have been slotted except last.  Anything after it would have been anti-climatic.  

Overall a pretty good show.  I thought all performances were good except for Zach's and Braiden's.  My favorites were Jordan, Amy, and Barrett.  It was actually my first time enjoying Barrett.  I liked how he put his own spin on a non-country song.  Also appreciated Madi quite a bit.  I don't know if her stuff is really my tastes and whether I have any desire to re-listen to any of her performances, but I appreciate her unique takes on covers.  

For those that I didn't like as much:  

Jeffery - vocals were good as always, but the performance itself needed a little more oomph.  Like there wasn't a real climax and he should have built up to a moment or something.  I'm generally bored with his performances and tonight was no different.  

Emily Ann - pageant girl and high school talent show are what come to mind.  Great vocals, but this is what I don't like about the youngsters...when they sing songs that they obviously don't/can't relate to.  

Zach, Braiden - not a fan.  Thought high school talent show again plus their vocals don't really measure up to others.  They need more seasoning.  

Shelby - I think this was one of her better performances.  I'm personally just not a fan of country music.  

We know that he has the best post-show follow-through of any Voice coach and he's never said that before in a pitch so--if it was all about her career, I still think she was stupid to choose Adam. Of course, if it was about "growing as an artist" instead, as she said, then I hope that worked out for her with Adam, I really do. (But I still think it was a dumb move to pass up that great opportunity Blake offered, so if her choice means she vanishes into obscurity like 99% of the other Voice contestants, at least she had an opportunity that no one else did and it was her own decision not to take it.)

Blake has actually used this a lot in pitches.  And there have been a ton of country people he hasn't helped or at least where we haven't seen any noticeable results.  Would Shelby have been better off with Blake?  Does she even make the live shows with him? 

Edited by Noreaster

To get a better idea of Jordan's domination this week:

A) His song this week is selling almost as much as Jeff+Emily+Amy+Madi combined.

B) 5 of his previous songs are in the T100; the max for anyone else is 1.

Itunes as of 12pm vote close:

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/12/08/the-voices-jordan-smith-soars-to-1-on-itunes-sales-chart-several-others-in-top-10/

1) Jordan Smith – Team Adam – Somebody To Love
3) Jeffery Austin – Team Gwen – Believe
4) Emily Ann Roberts – Team Blake – 9 to 5
5) Madi Davis – Team Pharrell – Big Girls Don’t Cry
6) Amy Vachal – Team Adam – To Make You Feel My Love
7) Braiden Sunshine – Team Gwen – Amazing Grace
8) Zach Seabaugh – Team Blake – The Climb
9) Barrett Baber – Team Blake – Ghost
18) Shelby Brown – Team Adam – Even God Must Get The Blues

With everyone this closely bunched, I think itunes is rather meaningless as an indicator tonight.  We'll see.

• Love 1

I think there are some legitimate strategic decisions for Shelby choosing Adam over Blake.  As many have pointed out on this board- Country music doesn't have a lot of female superstars and Blake is already promoting quite a few newbies: Cassadee, Rae-Lynn, Danielle.  Shelby apparently suffers from a confidence issue- Adam's pitch about being lost among Blake's other country artists really could have rang true to her.  Finally, all the judges, Blake included have been known to lay it on thick during the blind auditions.  There was/is no guarantee that any coach will work with a contestant after the show.  I don't think that choosing the path that you believe will keep you on the show the longest is necessarily the wrong one, especially if she had/has any desire to try a genre other than country. 

I know a lot has been said about Jordan & the Contemporary Christian Music genre.  I think that might be a good choice for Shelby as well.  Lower bar to get in, much more accepting of new faces and less focus on appearance/marketability. 

Just my opinion.  Every choice leads to consequences, and frequently you never know what the results of the other choice would have been.  If she fades into obscurity after the voice she may very well regret not choosing Blake but she'll never really know if that would have worked out better for her. 

• Love 2

I think Blake would have ditched Shelby before the lives. She gets ahead of the music and that makes Blake crazy. Then again, he kept Barrett who can't enunciate to save his life and Blake has problems with mumblers.

Lordy, the fake tears that Barrett used at the end of his performance was so absurd.

• Love 3

Agree with the overdone comment above. Jordan threw everything and the kitchen sink into the song, even without the choir. Sure he has the voice for it but the super-extra festoons were overkill on an already impressive vocal part. Do like Coco Chanel, take one piece off before you go out.

Jeff wasn't perfect but close enough for me, I like the clear sense of who he is. He works the songs into his style, and doesn't oversell.  

I will laugh though if Gwen somehow ends up with two artists in the F4. Amazing Grace was an evil genius move. 

• Love 4

I started out fully supporting Jeffrey and Madi. I still voted for them but dang Jeffrey'e been making me feel like I'm sitting in a funeral. I do think he is fantastic but was disappointed last night. 

I haven't voted for Jordan but I actually threw him a few last night. I realize (like other posters stated) that I was completed manipulated but that boy can sing. I would never buy his song because I have every Queen album ever and no one compares to Freddie but I felt a few votes were in order. 

I hope Jeffrey Madi and Jordan get in and I'd be ok with Amy or Shelby as the 4th. But I think Emily Ann will take a spot. 

• Love 2

Not counting original songs, this season looks to have more songs in the weekly Digital T15 than the first 8 seasons combined:
#3 S3 Cassadee/Over You (T10)
#6 S3 Cassadee/Stupid Boy (Semis)
#8 S7 Matt/Blower’s Daughter (T8)
#9 S5 Matthew/Hallelujah (T12)
#12 S5 Tessanne/I Have Nothing (Finals)
#13 S7 Craig/That Old Rugged Cross (Semis)
#14 S5 Tessanne/Bridge Over Troubled Water (T5)
#14 S3 Cassadee/Cry (Finals) = 8

#3 Great is Thy Faithfulness/Jordan (T12)
#4 Hallelujah/Jordan (T10)
#10 I’d Just Love To Lay You Down/Barrett (T10)
#13 Girls Just Want To Have Fun/Madi (T10)
#14 Halo/Jordan (Playoffs)
#15 She’s Got You/Emily (T10)

This week, Jordan should be a lock, and Jeff/Emily/Madi/Amy look like pretty good bets too. = possibly 11

It's true, we'll never know how well Shelby would have done if she had picked Blake over Adam, but Adam doesn't have a great track record when it comes to country artists and Blake does...for obvious reasons.  If anything, I think Blake would have steered her in the direction of better song choices.  Plus, I don't think Adam really likes contry music.

Really interesting to see how the itunes numbers have changed.  While Jordan has remained in the top spot from last light, and I think Jeffrey in second. The 3rd/4th/5th slots seem to be going back and forth between Amy, Emily Ann, and Madi.  I hope to see Emily Ann, and then either Amy or Madi in the finals.  Amy and Madi are a bit too similar to me - that "coffee house" sound - so I think having Emily Ann in the mix, along with Jordan and Jeffrey, and either Amy or Madi would be a nice variety of sounds. Unless Braiden spoils it all...

• Love 1

Just adding:

• I would love to hear original works by Madi and Amy because for some reason something gets lost in translation when they remake songs. I could barely hear Amy and Madi kept repeating the same lyric and it sounded manic.
  • The love child of Harry Styles and Rick Moranis aka Braiden had his best performance since the battle rounds by cynically using the Jesus card. Nice try, kid! See you on finals night when you attempt to hug Jordan after his win.
  • Emily Ann can sure control a stage, but her version of 9 to 5 was karaoke at best.
  • Zach with his "inspirational" song fell flat. Maybe if he had performed it shirtless with Magic Mike tearaway pants, he would've gotten my vote.
  • Jeffrey gave the best performance, but he'll be Clay to Jordan's Ruben this season.
  • I think Shelby's so called "lack of confidence" comes from being in the same competition with Emily Ann who can work the crowd as well as sing.
  • Barrett? I love that song, but his version was totally "drunk uncle at a wedding" cringeworthy.
  • As for Jordan himself, I would've have loved it had he sang the Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love" instead. I think he could have handled Grace Slick's vibrato. 
  • Adam, you went orgasmic for Jordan, but had nothing for Amy's or Shelby's performance? Come on, son!
  • As for the rest of the show, it felt like BET's Sunday Best without black contestants. Too much megachoir, God and Jesus on tonight's show. As for the eliminations, let's get this over with and make it an eight person elimination, give Jordan the trophy and have him sing all the songs on next week's shows.  He'll be the warm up act to the Adele concert on Monday night.

This is the second season in a row where the winner was practically crowned on the season premiere. Lack of suspense means a dull show, Mark Burnett and co.

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 2

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.  I feel better now.  I am so ready for this season to be over.  So very, very ready.  From Barrett's smarminess to Braiden's pulling out the Jesus moment to the bizarre doors opening and closing behind Jeffrey to whateverthefuck that conglomeration of vocal ticks Madi put forth was to a whole lot of boring and then Jordan screeching like his nut sack was being mauled by a wild badger, let's just put a fork in it.  Shall we? 

Good job!   Love this!

• Love 1

This is the second season in a row where the winner was practically crowned on the season premiere. Lack of suspense means a dull show, Mark Burnett and co.

Well, technically Jordan was 2nd in downloads for auditions, 2nd for knockouts, and somewhere outside the T100 on iTunes for battles, while Sawyer was 1st in all 3.

I would argue that it was the lives when he became the obvious winner.

But yes, a more exciting season is a Tessanne type, who wasn't on top till the last few weeks of the show.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2

Blake has actually used this a lot in pitches.  And there have been a ton of country people he hasn't helped or at least where we haven't seen any noticeable results.  Would Shelby have been better off with Blake?  Does she even make the live shows with him? 

I don't know if she would have made the live shows, but I don't remember Blake ever telling anyone in the blinds "No matter what happens on this show I'll get you to the right people in Nashville" and basically promising to take an active role in her career. I remember him saying things like "Look at (various Voice artists on Team Blake) who've gone on to have careers" or "I know a lot of people in Nashville" or "I've won this thing more than anyone".  But I don't remember him ever laying it down like that before, "No matter what happens here, I'll be committed to doing everything I can for you after the show" (not exact quote, but a very direct--and I thought very unusual--promise from him.)  Then again, I think Blake is the best coach to be connected to, post-show, so that probably influences my surprise at her choosing Adam.

I also agree with the post above--I don't think Adam likes country music either.  Don't think he knows much of it and I don't think he likes it. But at least he didn't throw Shelby under the bus as he has with so many others he has pitched big to in a variety of genres (and while Amber might have a better argument than Shelby that she grew because Adam pushed her--hard--out of her comfort zone, I think she could have done much better post-show if she'd had the Blake connection, even on his country-heavy team that year, although that wasn't her choice. Unless you just think it would be fun to work with Adam Levine, I don't think he's a good choice for a country singer.  Anyway, I don't feel sorry for her not getting further. F9 is pretty good, under the circumstances.

As for Jeffrey, I was a bigger fan a couple of weeks ago. He's got a great voice, but I'm tired of the downbeat songs. He deserves F4, but is it too much to hope he'll change it up a little for the finale?

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1
Without seeing any of the performances tonight I'll go ahead and predict the final four to be Jordan, Jeffrey, Zach and Emily Ann

Sadly, I agree.  The only one I'm unsure about is Jeffrey, but I'll give it to him based on iTunes sales.  Ok, not happy about it, but I think that will be the four who survive this week.  Jordan will win.  I think.

"No matter what happens on this show I'll get you to the right people in Nashville"

...and I think he actually does, especially if it's a female.  Not sure how Craig Wayne Boyd is doing in Nashville after he got the kiss of death from Scott Borchetta.

Oh Gwen.  The hair??  The outfit???  Good grief.

So Braiden sang "Amazing Grace" because America saved him last week?  Sigh.  Perhaps he should have actually read the words.  But, I did like his version and the return of the glasses and curls.  

Edited by limecoke

I don't know if she would have made the live shows, but I don't remember Blake ever telling anyone in the blinds "No matter what happens on this show I'll get you to the right people in Nashville" and basically promising to take an active role in her career. I remember him saying things like "Look at (various Voice artists on Team Blake) who've gone on to have careers" or "I know a lot of people in Nashville" or "I've won this thing more than anyone".  But I don't remember him ever laying it down like that before, "No matter what happens here, I'll be committed to doing everything I can for you after the show" (not exact quote, but a very direct--and I thought very unusual--promise from him.)  Then again, I think Blake is the best coach to be connected to, post-show, so that probably influences my surprise at her choosing Adam.

I also agree with the post above--I don't think Adam likes country music either.  Don't think he knows much of it and I don't think he likes it. But at least he didn't throw Shelby under the bus as he has with so many others he has pitched big to in a variety of genres (and while Amber might have a better argument than Shelby that she grew because Adam pushed her--hard--out of her comfort zone, I think she could have done much better post-show if she'd had the Blake connection, even on his country-heavy team that year, although that wasn't her choice. Unless you just think it would be fun to work with Adam Levine, I don't think he's a good choice for a country singer.  Anyway, I don't feel sorry for her not getting further. F9 is pretty good, under the circumstances.

As for Jeffrey, I was a bigger fan a couple of weeks ago. He's got a great voice, but I'm tired of the downbeat songs. He deserves F4, but is it too much to hope he'll change it up a little for the finale?

FWIW- I don't feel sorry for her not getting further.  I think that she's done fairly well.  And I think that she has gotten farther on the show with Adam than she would have with Blake.   What I felt sorry about was that she was the only one without a song in the top 10 this week, when in my opinion her singing was & is better than several of the others (Barrett & Braiden in particular).  If we are going to criticize Adam for anything here it might be for NOT pandering- if Shelby had sung Amazing Grace I'm sure she would have been in the Top 10 iTunes instead of Braiden.  But from the clip its clear that the song was Shelby's choice. 

And- I agree with the assessment that Adam doesn't like country music.  That definitely makes him an odd choice for an artist that wants to stay country and sing lots of country on the show- but I don't have the impression that is what Shelby wanted.

Unless I'm somehow missing something, Blake didn't really say that to Shelby based on the blind audition clip here: http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/shelby-brown-blind-audition-stars/2915896 

...and I think he actually does, especially if it's a female.  Not sure how Craig Wayne Boyd is doing in Nashville after he got the kiss of death from Scott Borchetta.

If he does, I haven't heard anything about some country females in recent seasons like Taylor B., Shelbie Z., Audra.  As for the men, how about Corey, James David Carter, Jake? And these are just the people he brought to lives.  Plenty more country folks eliminated in the taped rounds.  

I'm not trying to downplay Blake's achievements/efforts in earlier seasons (and in particular season 4, though what has happened to Holly Tucker and Justin Rivers?), but I think the notion that Blake is a no-brainer pick because of his country connections is somewhat overstated.

Well, the only contestants who have charted on the Hot 100 after the show are all Blake country people.

Are these the same people that everyone mentions over and over again like Cassadee, Danielle, and the Swon brothers?

There's only so much Blake can do.  He can introduce, he can call some people, he can network a bit, but in the end, the talent/personality/songwriting, etc. will have to get it done.  

Right, there's only so much Blake can do.  So when there are many country contestants vying for spots on the show and hoping to get exposure, maybe Blake shouldn't be the automatic choice for everyone. Blake's connections are useless if he doesn't use them and/or they don't get the contestant anywhere.  I brought this up earlier this season, but have we heard much from any of Blake's country contestants from season 5 or later?  

• Love 1

Unless I'm somehow missing something, Blake didn't really say that to Shelby based on the blind audition clip here: http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/shelby-brown-blind-audition-stars/2915896

That clip is highly edited, as is the one on Youtube which shows more from others but cuts out Blake even more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2Q1XcrPfk  I'm not sure if the original aired show is still up on On Demand, but I'm confident Blake's pitch was more personal and committed, as I've said, in the one that aired--which neither one of these is.

It doesn't really matter of course except my point was Shelby had other options and is probably perfectly satisfied to have gotten this far. I actually thought this was one of Adam's better seasons as a coach as he seemed more respectful of the singers' preferences and less trying to be Svengali (and no bromance with his leader, Jordan).

Then again, while Jordan has an impressive voice, I don't understand why he has been so dominant all season, even with some of the preferential treatment re: performance position. I would have thought the emphasis on online voting and elimination of phone votes would have skewed everything much younger (more like Idol voting) and toward someone else. He seems to have little chance for a big career outside of Christian music, so it's really a surprise to me that he's done so well. Not sure how much, if any, of that can be attributed to Adam. I really don't get it..

I think the elimination of phone call voting may have contributed to an uptick in downloads. Fans could call from several phones, but online voting and digital downloads are more closely monitored.

I have friends who just adore Jordan and think he's the best ever.

Well, with Billboard being awful this year at reporting sales numbers, the best comparison I can make is with kworb.net's estimates; for the first week of December:

Jordan 75k, Barrett 47k (actual number 47k), Madi 42k

Matt McAndrew 84k (actual number 91k), Taylor John Williams 34k (actual number 38k), Damien 31k 

So a decent boost, but not astoundingly so; the voting change could explain the difference.

The disproportionate iTunes domination, though, has to do with how the general music market is down a bunch, while the Voice market is decidedly not.

Edited by jjjmoss

I am so happy Jordan picked a song her could REALLY get into. That was fantastic. It made me smile. I don't care if it was over the top, his voice is so good, it doesn't bother me. And as a poster said above, you need a choir for the song - it didn't feel religious to me at all. 

I just finished watching the performances, so now I will got FFwd through tonight's episode to see 4 kicked off. Before the performances, I was rooting for Jordan, Jeffrey, Amy, and Madi. Now...I'm still rooting for them, I just don't think they did well enough to all make it. I guess I'll find out in a minute.

Gwen looked like Cindy-Lou Who meets Khaleesi.

You had me at Cindy-Lou Who.

The only two I have enjoyed consistently have been Amy and Madi.  I don't know if either of them are really cut out for this business, but they have been refreshingly different.  This is coming from someone who didn't like Sarah (the one who fortunately did not outlast Amber), Melanie, Dia, or any number of other indie-ish women.

I typically roll my eyes at 9 to 5, but I am very glad it was not Jolene.  I hate that song, and besides, it has been used before on this show.  Not that that stopped Jordan.  I wonder if Adam is a chronic repeater of songs.

Right, there's only so much Blake can do. So when there are many country contestants vying for spots on the show and hoping to get exposure, maybe Blake shouldn't be the automatic choice for everyone. Blake's connections are useless if he doesn't use them and/or they don't get the contestant anywhere. I brought this up earlier this season, but have we heard much from any of Blake's country contestants from season 5 or later?

Have we heard much from ANY contestants from this show, period? Winners and non winners? The only time I see/hear any if them mentioned is when they come back to the show to perform and promote, or in Grimme's case, do whatever it is that she's doing on the show this season, which has nothing to do with actual singing. The Voice ratings may be good, but their ability to turn someone into a superstar isn't good. The only ones I ever hear about off the show have been Blake's country artists, And yeah, they are primarily Cassadee, the Swons, CWB and the occasional female doing a duet with Blake.

I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more out of Meghan. She was the one from last season that I expected to hear, being that she already had experience in the business before The Voice.

Downloads may be "up" this season, due to the elimination of phone voting (really? Hadn't noticed), but this is actually the first season that I didn't downloaded anything from anyone.

Edited by ChicksDigScars

That clip is highly edited, as is the one on Youtube which shows more from others but cuts out Blake even more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2Q1XcrPfk I'm not sure if the original aired show is still up on On Demand, but I'm confident Blake's pitch was more personal and committed, as I've said, in the one that aired--which neither one of these is.

It doesn't really matter of course except my point was Shelby had other options and is probably perfectly satisfied to have gotten this far. I actually thought this was one of Adam's better seasons as a coach as he seemed more respectful of the singers' preferences and less trying to be Svengali (and no bromance with his leader, Jordan).

Then again, while Jordan has an impressive voice, I don't understand why he has been so dominant all season, even with some of the preferential treatment re: performance position. I would have thought the emphasis on online voting and elimination of phone votes would have skewed everything much younger (more like Idol voting) and toward someone else. He seems to have little chance for a big career outside of Christian music, so it's really a surprise to me that he's done so well. Not sure how much, if any, of that can be attributed to Adam. I really don't get it..

I'm pretty sure the nbc clips are the full ones that aired, but I don't have time to check at the moment. I'm with you on not fully getting Jordan's dominance. Maybe because in terms of vocal talent, the Top 12 this year is pretty weak overall. Jordan is way above everyone else except for maybe Jeffery. Then again, Sawyer dominated last season and he most certainly did not have great vocals.

Given how heavily Adam is involved in song selection, I think he deserves some credit for Jordan. Meanwhile Pharrell seemed completely hands off with Sawyer.

Have we heard much from ANY contestants from this show, period? Winners and non winners? The only time I see/hear any if them mentioned is when they come back to the show to perform and promote, or in Grimme's case, do whatever it is that she's doing on the show this season, which has nothing to do with actual singing. The Voice ratings may be good, but their ability to turn someone into a superstar isn't good. The only ones I ever hear about off the show have been Blake's country artists, And yeah, they are primarily Cassadee, the Swons, CWB and the occasional female doing a duet with Blake.

I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more out of Meghan. She was the one from last season that I expected to hear, being that she already had experience in the business before The Voice.

Downloads may be "up" this season, due to the elimination of phone voting (really? Hadn't noticed), but this is actually the first season that I didn't downloaded anything from anyone.

No one really uses the post-show argument for any coach except Blake. My point is how compelling is it to bring up the same few contestants from many seasons ago? And frankly how much of even that is due to Blake's connections. These few contestants were mainly finalists who got a lot of exposure on the show. In a genre that seems to be quite accepting of reality singing contestants in general.

• Love 1

I think Blake would have ditched Shelby before the lives. She gets ahead of the music and that makes Blake crazy. Then again, he kept Barrett who can't enunciate to save his life and Blake has problems with mumblers.

Lordy, the fake tears that Barrett used at the end of his performance was so absurd.

I have never liked Barrett - he's a good enough singer but he is so smug and full of himself. Someone mentioned his "smarminess" and that is a perfect description! He also reminds me of someone.......I think maybe it's the principal from Ferris Buehler's Day Off?? (Speaking of creepy and smarmy!)

But tonight he reached greater heights of douchery with the choking up and fighting off the fake tears after his song. That was about as bogus as you can get. Mr. Drama Teacher would gave given himself an F fir that performance.

• Love 2