Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor Introduces Ben's Ladies; We've Got Your 'Class' Superlatives

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Chicken Enthusiast = "I'm trying to come off as free spirited, fun and quirky."   Actually comes off as an Epic fail.

I think Jessica the accountant is very pretty.  She looks like the love-baby between Cobie Smulders and Justine Bateman.  

I'm sure once ABC gets their bios up on the site, we'll have plenty of snark fodder to get us through the next month!

• Love 1

I just can't with the whole chicken enthusiast label. She has to be early fodder, along with the "ancient" cowgirl, right?

I can't believe Amber is doing this again. Has she learned nothing?

Lauren R. looks like Denise Richards to me. I predict she, the gerontologist and the cute accountant will go a long way. You know, based on nothing but looks and their stated career. Very scientific.

I'd join in with the bashing of the chicken enthusiast, but as of now I find her the most attractive. Aw who am I kidding? Of course I am going to make fun of her.

Shows you how bland and dull Amber and Becca are, I didn't realize they were on last season until it was explicitly stated.

• Love 1

Someone should give the self-proclaimed chicken enthusiast a copy of Girl, Interrupted (or have her watch the movie version). There's a character in that book who eats only chicken and keeps the carcasses under her bed; she ends up committing suicide. That's who I first thought of when I heard "chicken enthusiast".

• Love 2

You fools! ABC set the "chicken enthusiast" trap and you walked into it. At this point they're so in on the joke that it's no fun anymore.

In general it seems more text = more substance. And Becca has pretty much the same bare-bones bio as last year.

• Love 3
You fools! ABC set the "chicken enthusiast" trap and you walked into it. At this point they're so in on the joke that it's no fun anymore.

Unless the chicken enthusiast turns out to be a Rhodes Scholar, or something of equal or greater value, I am not really seeing what the point of that "trap" was. Great, the powers that be at The Bachelor are now aware that their show is filled with imbeciles willing to do anything to appear on the show. That would make them the last ones to wise up. Yeah, they really got one over on us. 

Since when is "Twin" an occupation?  And "War Veteran"? So far I like Caila; she seems the most interesting and individual. A lot of these questions and answers remind me of Miss America/Miss USA Q & As.  I like Jubilee, too, as far as you can determine someone's personality by reading these bios. She seems to have a sense of humor.  Maegan looks older than 30, but she's probably outside a lot as a "cowgirl." She was probably cast to be the "different" type of girl. Mandi might be the "drunk girl" but she may be old enough to consider that her patients might be watching the show. Tiara (Chicken Enthusiast) doesn't seem so strange. My guess is she has her own backyard chickens. My guess is that ABC thought "chicken enthusiast" would look weirder than what her real job is. (She mentions a boss who died of ALS so she has a job of some sort.)  Totally superficial observation based on pictures: Leah and Samantha look like party girls; but then, they could actually be the quietest ones of the group.  We will see!

Unless the chicken enthusiast turns out to be a Rhodes Scholar, or something of equal or greater value, I am not really seeing what the point of that "trap" was.

Eons ago, abc tried earnestly to come up with generous euphemisms for unemployed. The snarking class saw through them. Now TPTB are using intentionally "wacky" job titles--free spirit, dog lover, chicken enthusiast, etc--to generate Internet chatter. "Here's this year's batch of bogus occupations! Can you believe how weird they are??!"

Hence posts like this, on a blog that rarely touches on reality TV. (Does the writer think she alone sees through the BS?) I'm sure there are dozens of Buzzfeed lists by now. And then there are the just-plain-gullible types (no one here), who think Tiara actually wrote down "chicken enthusiast" on her application, and tweet their bewilderment.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 2

I loved the crack about identical blowouts, as we've discussed that here before.  

Here's a link to the previous list from Chris' season:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/12/more-jobs-you-can-have-according-to-the-bachelor.html

Though Maegan is a Cowgirl and that occupation, along with Cowboy is a perfectly legitimate job.  And just as valid as personal trainer and model, especially on this show.  She probably works harder physically than most of the other ladies.  She's no delicate flower, that's for sure. 

It's when they tack on the word "lover" or "enthusiast" that it's obvious that person is between jobs or just doesn't have one.

Mods: Can we use this thread to discuss our opinions on the ladies before the show starts on Jan. 4th, keeping away from spoilers?    

Edited by leighdear

I am SO excited about this season. I haven't watched this show or the Bachelorette since Jillian broke my poor Reid's heart. But Ben is apparently from my town, and filmed here and everything, so I'm totally set for Jan 4th goodness.

Based on the bios and pics my early favorites are Caila, Jessica, Olivia, Samantha and Shushanna. They seem well rounded and in my opinion the most attractive. But as we well know that can be tossed out the window with one episode. I remember on Kaitlyn's season Ian was a early favorite (based on many posts I read) and he turned out to be a major douche. So we will have to see. I admit I'm looking forward to this season.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1

But as we well know that can be tossed out the window with one episode. I remember on Kaitlyn's season Ian was a early favorite (based on many posts I read) and he turned out to be a major douche. So we will have to see. I admit I'm looking forward to this season.

I have a horrible track record for "predicting" which contestants will go far.  The only one I was even close with was Josh Murray on Andi's season.  And that was mostly because I absolutely love the way he looks and simply refused to believe she'd send him home early.  *LOL*

I have a horrible track record for "predicting" which contestants will go far.  The only one I was even close with was Josh Murray on Andi's season.  And that was mostly because I absolutely love the way he looks and simply refused to believe she'd send him home early.  *LOL*

Yes we all have our favorites for whatever reason but the producers so love to heighten the drama and mess with the viewers. I know it's at this point mostly scripted but a small part of me still roots for a genuine connection on these shows. Still I love to tune in and see what happens from week to week.

• Love 1

My early pick: Jennifer. Why? Because, based entirely on their pictures, I think she's the prettiest. Sadly, that method got my early pick in the final four most years. It's the same way I pick horse races and I picked American Pharoah last year.

• Love 2

My early pick: Jennifer. Why? Because, based entirely on their pictures, I think she's the prettiest.

The official abc photos are notoriously unreliable, but I've gone over many of their Instagrams and I can confirm this.
  • Love 2

I just read the bios to study up for the big night! So, it seems like "everyone" is named Lauren, loves hot weather and The Notebook, doesn't read, wants to be Taylor Swift, and measures their height to the closest quarter inch. And of course they all look the same.

• Love 2

I have actually never watched "The Notebook".....Another item in a long list that completely disqualifies me from ever finding love on TV...... ;-)

Just looked through the channel channel to get my daughter set up on the other TV so she doesn't interrupt "my show," and The Notebook is on ABC Family right now!!! I can imagine the turmoil going on in all of these ladies' homes: Do I watch myself on TV or The Notebook?!?

• Love 1

I need to know the story behind the squeaky voiced chick's divorce. I think she said she has been divorced for two years and her daughter is almost two? I just wonder what happened there.

I don't have any information, but I'm guessing failed reconciliation baby.

• Love 2

Mandi claims to be a dentist, but her biggest accomplishment is "Getting my doctorate."  A dentist is a DDS or DMD, not a PhD.

dentists have doctorates. It's a Doctor of Dental Medicine or Doctor of Dental Sciences. same thing.

Those twins were way too excited about being twins and the simultaneous talking is creepy, BUT in reading a recap of last night's show, I came across this tidbit which kind of blew my mind:

Emily and Haley, 22: So their job is… twins? Sure, okay. I’m grateful for any opportunity to reference the 1984 sitcom Double Trouble starring Katey Sagal’s sisters Liz and Jean.

A: I LOVED that show and seem to be one of the few people who remember it and B. I had no idea those were Peg Bundy's sisters! Who knew The Bachelor could be educational! :) 

I need to know the story behind the squeaky voiced chick's divorce. I think she said she has been divorced for two years and her daughter is almost two? I just wonder what happened there.

I don't have any information, but I'm guessing failed reconciliation baby.

Either that or shotgun wedding that fell apart in short order. She's got two kids, was the 2 year old the older of the two? 

Edited by ljenkins782

Amber. I was so hurt for her when Ben didn't recognize her, just as I was when the guys didn't seem interested on Bachelor in Paradise. As she seems dead set on "finding love," this ridiculous way, I have some advice for her: Lose ten pounds. Not that you're the least bit fat, but it would chisel your bone structure a little bit and make your beauty more striking. Buy some clothes that fit and flatter. Your dress last night was too loose and you wore some odd beach cover-up on your date in Paradise. Do something with your hair other than that washer woman bun. Carry your self like you're all that, instead of just average, because -- you have an exceptionally beautiful face with the sweetest smile ever and a great personality, it's just not coming across.

• Love 7

I'm curious too. I'm painfully aware of a situation where a woman was cheating on her husband during the time she was trying to get pregnant as well as early on in the pregnancy, and of course my mind immediately went to that (it's how I know pre-natal paternity testing exists). But who knows, could be a lot of possibilities.

JudyObscure, on 01 Jan 2016 - 2:27 PM, said:

My early pick: Jennifer. Why? Because, based entirely on their pictures, I think she's the prettiest.

Bugs Meany:

The official abc photos are notoriously unreliable, but I've gone over many of their Instagrams and I can confirm this.

So.  That was before the show started and Bugs and I are still waiting. She's not only still one of the prettiest to me, she also proves to be tall and graceful with a quiet poised manner.  Wonder why the lack of screen time?

• Love 3

She's getting the Samantha Steffin (Chris's season) and Kelly Travis (Juan Pablo's season) treatment.  Gorgeous girls that seem like they would be frontrunners, but for whatever reason, the producers don't give us any time to get to know them, even superficially. 

Up til now, it's felt like constant drama and dysfunction among the ladies, with so little focus on anybody outside the screen-time suckers like Lace, Jubilee & Olivia. 

Even the 1-on-1 dates have been cut incredibly short so we can see a disproportionate amount of time at the mansion and a ridiculous amount of the cocktail parties.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2