Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Quantico

I am really confused on the Simon backstory (I also possibly didn't pay close enough attention during his big confession). What happened when he was in IDF?

I was also unclear on his bomb plan.

I am so disappointed in myself for still watching this show.

• Love 7

Alllllllllll the secrets came out tonight!

I didn't understand any of them because I was barely paying attention because the show has sucked all year, plus my drinking

I still don't understand Natalie's fake scar story, LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Okay, Simon said he was a translator in a platoon, who did translation for intelligence (?). He was in Mahal (a program which allows American Jews to volunteer for the IDF, that was dropped in the show, but I'll explain it) His job was to "get close to women" to find their husbands, but the platoon leader snapped and went rogue...and either killed or raped the women (This is a made up event) 

I'm wondering if the rogue platoon leader is Oren himself? 

And seriously, after all these crazy kids did, Simon gets tossed for a fist fight? 

Edited by dungeonwriter
  • Love 2

Natalie's fake scar was the only thing I really got - she faked an injury to get away and get custody from her emotionally abusive boyfriend. But somehow her going to quantico erased that and he got custody anyway.

So the half sister was a catfish?

Simons elaborate bomb plan was just a fake bomb plan in order to get people to talk to each other? Yeah like that happens so easily in this day and age.

• Love 3

I don't know if it's because I don't care enough to watch carefully, but this is all starting to be confusing.  Everyone is flipflopping back and forth too fast to follow.  I love you I hate you I love you.  I'm a suspect I'm cleared I'm a suspect.  

"Why do you wear a fake scar, Natalie?"

"Because it helps me pick up men!"

I mean WTF can they do about it?  It's pretty stupid though.  She stuck on a fake scar to fool a judge.  Now she has to wear it for ever?  If the judge was dumb enough to fall for it in the first place, why not pay a visit to Lourdes, then claim that the scar was magically healed?

Simon is kicked out because of a scuffle that occurred so long ago that I don't even remember the incident?  Why didn't Stalker Elias accuse him of that long ago?

Has Shelby really been sending millions of dollars to, essentially, a Nigerian 419 scam  artist?  Wow, with dumb like that, she would make an ideal agent in the Frelling Bureau of Idiots.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 7

Phew, this episode was such a mess it was hard to concentrate on anything or follow the different threads.  Natalie's scar story was so stupid.  Why couldn't she remove it after the case against her ex had ended and say it healed?  I still don't get how she ended up in a relationship with Booth in present time (the goodbye scene lent a little credence to their relationship, but it still is weird).  I don't like Raina caring for the terrorist boss; Nimah calls her naive, but that goes way beyond naive, and I expected better from her.  I don't like Simon getting kicked out because he fought with Booth way back when -- I don't even remember what the circumstances were, and it came down to Booth accidentally mentioning it.  Shelby's sister is fake?  What even?  I want to punch my TV screen every time Miranda comes on with that look of awful sympathy because I know she's about to say something awfully stupid.  Giving nats the authority to choose who is accepted and denied from Quantico is totally idiotic, but it falls right in line with every other idiotic exercise in this show.  No wonder so many people with ~secrets~ got in this year; the last class must've sucked at this exercise!

I don't remember the exact quote, but here's this week's dubious advice: "Doing the right thing often feels wrong!"  So much cringe.

• Love 4

I mean WTF can they do about it? It's pretty stupid though. She stuck on a fake scar to fool a judge. Now she has to wear it for ever? If the judge was dumb enough to fall for it in the first place, why not pay a visit to Lourdes, then claim that the scar was magically healed?

I was only half listening (because I now watch this show out of habit) but I think she said she wears the fake scar as a reminder of her sacrifice she made for her daughter...which doesn't make much sense. It seems like the photo of the daughter she can't see any more would a big enough reminder.

And maybe I'm missing something here, but if you were conducting super secret surveillance and didn't want anyone to know wouldn't you, I don't know, maybe, possibly, probably LOCK THE FREAKIN' DOOR?!

• Love 6

if you were conducting super secret surveillance and didn't want anyone to know wouldn't you, I don't know, maybe, possibly, probably LOCK THE FREAKIN' DOOR?!

Not necessarily.  I mean, if you are a super-secret twin-agent and nobody must find out you are really plural, you don't keep the door locked.  So, when you have other things that should remain behind uh, locked doors...   No, I got nothing.

Maybe locks and things are in the advanced FBI course!

• Love 9
I was only half listening (because I now watch this show out of habit) but I think she said she wears the fake scar as a reminder of her sacrifice she made for her daughter...which doesn't make much sense.

You're kinder than I, Jodie, it makes no sense at all.  This scar was the basis of her attempt to get custody of her child based on physical abuse, so why was there no documentation from a doctor?  Did she just pull her hair back and the judge said 'good enough for me'?  One wonders if this is the same judge put the custody deal in jeopardy when Natalie successfully sought gainful employment with federal law enforcement, ceding ground to a her dirtbag baby daddy who presumably continued on in his promising career as a dirtbag.

From here the story starts to actually make my brain hurt.  Natalie kept applying the fake scar for ... reasons, and Alex noticing it set off alarms like an 'I heart al qaeda' tattoo.  Seriously? So they convene an emergency committee and invite everyone?  And she has to explain herself in front of all because they're suddenly 'having any secrets makes us all unsafe'?  Apparently they found her sob story sufficient because Natalie's still an agent, but what was their worst-case scenario?  That Natalie was faking a scar for treasonous purposes?  That someone might see her without the scar and report her to Texas authorities?  How does that happen?

I'm with you, Gillian, I can't believe I'm still watching this shite.  The 'secret' surveillance room that anybody can just walk into, Simon's galatically stupid 'I planned a bombing but intentionally included errors even though I had no idea someone might actually use my plan' plotline, the current crop of idiots passing judgement on the next crop of idiots based on their own first impressions and prejudices ...  It just never stops.  This show is just a freight train of stupid.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 9

I deleted this after watching/recording it for 10 minutes. Then deleted the prior 2 episodes. Realized I didn't care at all about any of the characters or what happened. I decided not to spend time watching less than good shows just to fill some late night time.

• Love 7

How in God's name did Simon, who the FBI was hunting for, manage to get into the middle of the FBI's command center to their monitoring room?

The same way that Alex was able to avoid getting captured by the same people, apparently the FBI sucks at finding people.

I don't know if it's because I don't care enough to watch carefully, but this is all starting to be confusing. 

I have to disagree, it started to be confusing some time around the first episode.

I was only half listening (because I now watch this show out of habit) 

And this pretty much sums up the entire situation. After next week the habit should get broken & I hope to stop it permanently. 

• Love 1

Man what self-centered people! How does it not occur to them that Simon might be right and in the present that one of them might be the bomb expert.

They better not kill off Simon!

How did it never occur to Shelby to investigate this "sister"?

• Love 2

I'm feeling my head to see if I have a fever, because I actually felt bad for Shelby when she found out she'd been catfished. Of course, that level of stupidity should have gotten her kicked out of the NAT program before Simon was kicked out for assaulting Ryan, but still.

• Love 4

Natalie if you are that committed to your kid just cut yourself and make the scar real.   It was behind your ear its not like a huge sacrifice.

Exactly why do these people think they should trust each other?  Each of them have lied to one  another numerous times.

So Alex is basically a felon  and a rookie FBI agent so of course the seasoned FBI agents are letting her call the shots. 

I doubt I will continent this after the  winter break it is too convoluted and not sure I even like the characters.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

I am really confused on the Simon backstory (I also possibly didn't pay close enough attention during his big confession). What happened when he was in IDF?

I was also unclear on his bomb plan.

I am so disappointed in myself for still watching this show.

Simon says that while he was in the IDF as a translator, his platoon leader went rogue and tasked him to pick up (presumably) Arabic women to try to get info on their husbands. However, Rogue Platoon Leader had other plans for these women, which were not made explicit but presumably included rape and other forms of torture. Simon says he knew but he was just following orders. Which, I don't see how anybody can say in 2015 without a bit of self-consciousness since that was the excuse Nazi underlings gave for committing their atrocities. Also, I don't get how Simon is so successful at his seduction of MARRIED women that RPL deploys him again and again, or why RPL doesn't just snatch and grab these women and cut out the middleman. Also, I don't see how the FBI apparently doesn't GAF that Simon was using his siren cock to lure women to be tortured but does consider having a minor fight (no injuries) and not reporting it to be a no-appeal, termination offense. Also, if he is bothered by his role in the seduction and torture of various Arabic women, how he would try to pursue a relationship with Raina/Nimah.

Simon also said that in his ample spare time at Quantico, he devised a plan to threaten a mosque and a synagogue simultaneously using NYC subways that conveniently run underneath them. The nature of his bomb threat would be that everyone would get an hour's advance notice and the bombs would relatively easily be found and defused. The idea would be, presumably, seeing that they had at least one common enemy (who was too incompetent to actually hurt people) would get Jews and Muslims to really talk to each other and we'd have Middle East peace in no time. According to Simon, someone found out about this plan and used it in the Grand Central bombing, minus the flaws to minimize casualties, and that someone has to have been at Quantico for reasons. Let's assume for argument's sake that no terrorists could come up with bombing a train line without Simon's brilliance leading the way. Why did he not come out with this way before? There's only a limited number of people who could possibly have knowledge of his plan.

Also, he keeps referring to the time when all the other NATs turned their back on him. When was that? Is it supposed to be after he gets kicked out as seen in this episode?

• Love 4

Simon says that while he was in the IDF as a translator, his platoon leader went rogue and tasked him to pick up (presumably) Arabic women to try to get info on their husbands. However, Rogue Platoon Leader had other plans for these women, which were not made explicit but presumably included rape and other forms of torture. Simon says he knew but he was just following orders. Which, I don't see how anybody can say in 2015 without a bit of self-consciousness since that was the excuse Nazi underlings gave for committing their atrocities. Also, I don't get how Simon is so successful at his seduction of MARRIED women that RPL deploys him again and again, or why RPL doesn't just snatch and grab these women and cut out the middleman. Also, I don't see how the FBI apparently doesn't GAF that Simon was using his siren cock to lure women to be tortured but does consider having a minor fight (no injuries) and not reporting it to be a no-appeal, termination offense. Also, if he is bothered by his role in the seduction and torture of various Arabic women, how he would try to pursue a relationship with Raina/Nimah.

With the caveat that I haven't seen the episode yet (though I trust you), knowing these facts, it even seems an outright level of sleazy for Simon to move in on Raina/Nimah.  Perhaps it'll be discovered that an old contact made him?  Not that this is better, but if he wasn't forced then it's got a level of PTSD grooming on his part (as subject) which is downright unsavory.

Of course, it looks so far like they gave us Shelby's sleeping with father and son for-real, so perhaps the unsavory mile was passed several furlongs back.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

The same way that Alex was able to avoid getting captured by the same people, apparently the FBI sucks at finding people.

These people can't do anything right.  Alex had to walk right up to them and plead guilty for something to happen.

• Love 1

I'm out for good - this isn't Quantico, this is Quantico: Junior High.

"But I need my friends!" They are important to me! I can't do this without my friends! We need to stick together because that's what friends do!" Seriously?! The plot seemed interesting in the beginning, but now it just seems so kid like and crappy. 

And how come some disciplinary hearings are public and others are secret? WTF? 

• Love 7

This show looked like silly but intriguing popcorn-y fun in the pilot, but now it's more stupid than silly. I just can't with these people and their "logic" and their "secrets" and their stupid.

I'm still trying to figure out how Future!Alex pleading guilty would work to placate the real terrorists into thinking they're safe to continue. As others have said before, I think, they know that she knows she didn't do it, so for her to claim she did would tip them off that she's up to something. That would make the real perp(s) more suspicious, not less.

Natalie's scar secret was dumb (What exactly does a little bitty scar behind her ear, that anyone could easily find to be fake, prove about anything?), but even dumber was Alex seeing a fake scar as evidence that Natalie must secretly be Hitler's apprentice who must be outed and brought to justice immediately.

I have no idea what Simon was blathering on about.

Shelby's stupid and I don't get why she's at all into Caleb. If she could teach a vibrator to talk it would make a more interesting partner than him.

• Love 4

I love how they differentiate the Twins and making the one who is religious seem more shady. Like some how not drinking and partying means you are a part of a terrorist group. 

Also, the stupidity of this show is next level bad. Like why in the world would they allow Alex to call the shots? Why didn't the FBI evaluate the class for more terrorist? How is everyone's lies keep getting exposed every episode and yet they all act shocked when another lie surfaces? 

• Love 4

Natalie's excuse for lying is just stupid - "I was in an abusive relationship, got out and want to protect my daughter." Ok, yeah, people knowing that means you'll be kicked out? What?

Natalie if you are that committed to your kid just cut yourself and make the scar real.   It was behind your ear its not like a huge sacrifice.

There's also this option!

These are all such a fickle group of agents, they turn their loyalties on a dime. On Simon for doing the right thing with Ann Heche character, Alex for trying to find a bomb about to go off and believing it was her idea to surveil them and not hear her out. I wouldn't want any of these people on my side, lord knows if I didn't smile at them fast enough they'd suddenly hate me and try to out me for something or other.

I did feel bad about Shelby finding out about her "sister" though. And I am worried for Simon. So there's that.

This is the first ep that really annoyed me, I can usually just enjoy this as mindless entertainment. That said, I'll keep watching.

• Love 1

t just never stops.  This show is just a freight train of stupid.

Oh Henripootel, it's commentary from you and the others here that draws me back in. When I cringe that I'm wasting time to watch this mess, I comfort myself that I can log on here for good snark. 

And "siren cock" has been added to my lexicon.

• Love 4

I forgot about Simon's declaration in the FBI secret lair that was just emptied by the rest of the FBI! He talked about how he planned the bombs on paper, and then told them he was going home to get his affairs in order before he was arrested for treason. Um, hello?! You don't get to go home and put your affairs in order! The FBI would have arrested him there on the spot, you know - because everyone in that room is in the FBI!

• Love 2

Can someone recap the catfish sister thing?  How was that found out?  What was the catfish situation?  I completely tuned out of that.

I didn't for 100 percent follow it, but my best understanding is:

Caleb got nosy about what Shelby was doing and so invaded her privacy and surfed around on her computer, which he apparently had the password to log on and which Shelby didn't bother to update. While on her computer, he saw the history of payments between Shelby and Catfish.

I honestly didn't see if there was damning information that showed Catfish was catfishing or if Caleb used common sense. After all, if Catfish were real, there is no reason I can see for her to not come forward, prove she's real, and she would then likely be able to make a pretty good case for half the Wyatt fortune rather than a "mere" million here, million there. 

I don't even think the show said the basis on which Catfish was doing her thang. "I'm your half-sister, I could use some money" or something more pointed?

Anyway, I have to assume that it was just suspicion because if there were anything approaching iron-clad proof, Caleb wouldn't have had to go through the sting with Catfish. He pretended to be someone who knew about her catfishery, and demanded 10 percent of her upcoming scores. He had Shelby in the room so she could hear Catfish negotiate him down to 5 percent.

• Love 2

So he just guessed out of the blue that she was a catfish!?  LOL!  And then threatened to expose her using extortion?  I see.  Thank you!

I wonder how Catfish apparently 'proved' to Shelby she was her half-sister in the beginning.

And if the 'twist' down the line is that she really is, or something.  Oh who cares

It sounds like a song.  "Out of the blue, she was a catfish...."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I will cut Shelby some slack that wishful thinking might have led her to believe that her dad or mom (I at least don't remember if Catfish was specifically supposed to be dad's daughter, although that makes more sense) had another kid and that they thus left her with more than a billion dollar company and daddy issues.

But at some point in what we're led to believe is a relationship of almost 15 years, one would think that a) she'd want to meet Catfish b) she'd want some level of proof of half-sisterhood c) some responsible adult would say, "Hey, Shelby, what's going on with these random payouts and late-night calls/skypes?"

Also, Catfish probably should have quit while she was ahead. To paraphrase "Wall Street," how many yachts does she need to water ski behind once she's got the first couple of millions? And for her to fold like a card table when Caleb extorted her when she could have just pretended that she was innocent...and when admitting that she duped Shelby of millions when doing so is a crime...SMDH.

• Love 4

I'm in until we find out who the bomber is. After that, I'm not so sure.

I thought the plot contrivances just made the show ridiculous.  It was the whole show, not one or two things.   The scar, the "fake bombing was accidentally real - oopsie!," getting kicked out for a week's old fight, not locking the surveillance door, etc.  There was such a lack of logic in the whole thing.

I think it will only be interesting if Booth is the bomber.  That would be the ultimate shocker. 

I hope ABC will fire Quantico's sh*tty show-runner and all the writers during the mid-season hiatus. It's the only way to save this show. These people are as stupid and incompetent as their characters. Otherwise I don't see how it will live for another season.  

• Love 4

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't that Elias who grabbed Simon at the end? It would be funny if it turned out that he had pretended to be gay in order to surveil Simon, who, BTW, should have gotten kicked out of Quantico for THAT lie, since there was likely someone passed over to get into the class who didn't tick that box, and not for "threatening" Booth, who has/had both size and experience on him, being an actual undercover agent at the time the traineee "assaulted" him. I really thought that Miranda was going to set up the Simon bomb-planning story by "kicking him out" so that terrorists would see him as a disgruntled ex-trainee and approach him. (Much as she "Mirandized" the twins.)

Natalie was able to win custody by placing a small fake scar behind her ear? And NO ONE noticed it was fake until magically observant Alex? LOL!

I had a half-sibling show up a couple of years ago, and my adoptive brother was immediately suspicious, but I don't have millions of dollars, and it turned out that my half-siblings are/were all real, so I think I got Shelby's plot more than the others...BUT, was the half-sister NOT actually a half-sister at all (therefore catfishing) or was she just extorting money based upon an actual relationship? I wasn't sure.

I hope that the class that "vetted" our crew is sufficiently shamed, if not thrown out of the Agency.

• Love 7

Mostly I just have to laugh that the writers were so desperate to give us a seemingly damning piece of evidence against Simon before explaining the truth that they gave him the same sense of international politics your average five year old has, that this one gesture would magically create world peace for all time. Mostly I got the impression that he read Watchmen way too much as a kid.

• Love 2

Jeez. What a bunch of stupid, pretentious claptrap. Simply awful.

I know the writers think they are being clever with all the switching between times, the zillion red herrings but, for me, it just seems they are throwing a bunch of snippets to see if anything sticks and they don't have to bother actually writing a fleshed out story.

And, people get paid for this kind of juvenile crap.

• Love 6

I hope ABC will fire Quantico's sh*tty show-runner and all the writers during the mid-season hiatus. It's the only way to save this show. These people are as stupid and incompetent as their characters. Otherwise I don't see how it will live for another season.  

Is it the Gossip Girl guy that's been running this?  Because that's so odd -- Season 1 and 2 of Gossip Girl is extremely fine television -- not at all being sarcastic about that.  I have no idea how this shit came to be!  I was absolutely obsessed with the pilot but since then I've barely been watching , and with glazed-over eyes at that.

Mostly I just have to laugh that the writers were so desperate to give us a seemingly damning piece of evidence against Simon before explaining the truth that they gave him the same sense of international politics your average five year old has, that this one gesture would magically create world peace for all time. Mostly I got the impression that he read Watchmen way too much as a kid.

In addition to Watchmen, I also thought of the "Tower of Babel" storyline in Justice League. In it, it is revealed that Batman has come up with contingency plans to neutralize every member of the Justice League that are then stolen and used by his arch-nemesis, R'as al-Ghul.

• Love 1

Is it the Gossip Girl guy that's been running this?  Because that's so odd -- Season 1 and 2 of Gossip Girl is extremely fine television -- not at all being sarcastic about that.  I have no idea how this shit came to be!  I was absolutely obsessed with the pilot but since then I've barely been watching , and with glazed-over eyes at that.

Yep, it's him, the guy who destroyed "Gossip Girl". He was GG's co-producer since the end of the 2nd season and ruined it when he became the executive producer in 2010. And yes, first seasons of GG were brilliant, I even decided to read the book at some point (and I'm very snobbish about young adult fiction). 

• Love 3

This was an abysmal episode.  Not that anything has ever made sense on this show, but this episode was the worst yet.  It seemed like this episode might have been filmed after the premiere already aired and viewers were questioning the stupidity of Elder Eric having gotten past the screening.  So after all this time, they finally have Miranda and company addressing onscreen how some of these NATs with secrets might have gotten in.  Oh, easy explanation, it's because the class in front of you let you in, and they really sucked at their jobs.

I also found it telling that I think this is the first episode since perhaps the premiere in which they actually bothered to define "NAT" for us.  It was probably mentioned once in the premiere and I tuned out, because I have been wondering for weeks what NAT stood for, and was too lazy or didn't care enough to look it up.  Maybe the writers felt like they had to put the definition back in this episode.

Neither Simon story, the one in training or the one in present day, made a whole lot of sense to me.

I'm also not sure why the others were so indignant that "Alex" was watching them and not trusting them.  It wasn't Alex, it was Miranda and Liam.

Can someone recap the catfish sister thing?  How was that found out?  What was the catfish situation?  I completely tuned out of that.
I didn't for 100 percent follow it, but my best understanding is:

Caleb got nosy about what Shelby was doing and so invaded her privacy and surfed around on her computer, which he apparently had the password to log on and which Shelby didn't bother to update. While on her computer, he saw the history of payments between Shelby and Catfish.

I honestly didn't see if there was damning information that showed Catfish was catfishing or if Caleb used common sense. After all, if Catfish were real, there is no reason I can see for her to not come forward, prove she's real, and she would then likely be able to make a pretty good case for half the Wyatt fortune rather than a "mere" million here, million there.

Yes, but what really started it in the beginning was that Clayton told Caleb that they (the FBI) didn't think that the sister existed and that Shelby was being conned.  That's why Caleb nosed on her computer... what he said was true, in the end, he nosed into her business because he cares about her and didn't want to see her getting taken.
I also found it telling that I think this is the first episode since perhaps the premiere in which they actually bothered to define "NAT" for us.  It was probably mentioned once in the premiere and I tuned out, because I have been wondering for weeks what NAT stood for, and was too lazy or didn't care enough to look it up.  Maybe the writers felt like they had to put the definition back in this episode.

That's been bugging me for weeks because I'd forgotten what it was and I didn't want to ask/didn't care enough to look it up, and naturally I wasn't paying attention last night. What is it, again?

• Love 1

In addition to Watchmen, I also thought of the "Tower of Babel" storyline in Justice League. In it, it is revealed that Batman has come up with contingency plans to neutralize every member of the Justice League that are then stolen and used by his arch-nemesis, R'as al-Ghul.

At least Batman had a legitimate reason for the protocols (all the others outpowered him), which is more than can be said for Simon. I also cannot see the agents as the JLA, though I think they'd like to pass off Alex as Wonder Woman!

• Love 1

That's been bugging me for weeks because I'd forgotten what it was and I didn't want to ask/didn't care enough to look it up, and naturally I wasn't paying attention last night. What is it, again?

It apparently stands for "New Agent Trainee".

• Love 1

And how come some disciplinary hearings are public and others are secret? WTF? 

It's like in Animal House, sometimes there's regular probation, & sometimes there's double secret probation & you never know which one you're going to get.

• Love 7