Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: I Live Here Now

For me, it was another episode I couldn't look away from.  

I wanted to pull that woman's nose ring, chain thing right from her face.  Taking babies isn't cool.  Leaving them in the middle of a stampede is even worse.

I need to let this one percolate a little more.

• Love 7

"I don't understand what's happening."  "Me either"

He'll if I understood it but it sure held my interest!

That shit was crazy! I don't know exactly why, but I enjoyed it.

I wish we could have heard what Regina King was yelling at Evie. It worked fine their way and was very dramatic, but I wanted to hear, although I think I got the general gist. Didn't think they were faking blowing up the bridge, so I got suckered.

Favorite line: "I'm not fuckin' doing this again"  I laughed out loud at that one.

And a second shot of Justin coming out of that bath! I think I liked it even better this time! "shallow"

He does such great face acting and crying. Love it.

I totally cried when Garvey and his dog were reunited... and he's kissing it. 

"Thanks for waiting." Gah!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 8

Yeah, Kevin should really be dead. And dead. And dead. And Kevin's inability to die (or I guess ability to come back to life) jumped the shark for sure (although I'm glad the character wasn't killed off). So did a lot about how the whole storming/take over of Jarden by the GR and others went down. Surely there'd be some law enforcement officials around with rubber bullets, tear gas, and heck, real guns. Especially given that they stood on that bridge for an hour....that's plenty of time to get some Texas Rangers, etc around.

I liked the end where John asked what to do if no one was home and Kevin said "then you come over to my house."

I'm glad Mary woke up and the actress got to actually speak. Regina King was killing it on the scene on the bridge crying, hugging, & screaming at Evie. Her face said it all when Evie held the sign saying "you understand."

I think I need to rewatch this episode again. Maybe I need to binge watch the whole second season to appreciate it more.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 6

I was talking back to the TV so much at how many dumb things were happening: Matt not wanting to leave squatter village when he first saw Mary awake; no one moving back from the bridge when they thought it was gonna blow; John shooting Kevin and leaving him there, fake out on the RV rigged to blow, why the big secret of Evie joining the GR, the woman who snatched the baby, how much of Kevin's death vision was "real", his karaoke singing....

This made me grit my teeth like when I watched Lost. Same enraging nonsense.

• Love 7

Kevin is Wolverine, apparently. Forget Mary and her mundane awakening from a four-year coma. Not alot of people wander around for hours after being shot in the stomach.

John, in addition to his new attempted murder charge, is also criminally negligent for walking Kevin home instead of finding his wife or another knowledgeable medical professional, or just plain not allowing Kevin to wander about anymore.

Realistically, the Guilty Remnant and all those fun-loving rioters should be rounded up and shipped out in the next couple days. I could understand the Jarden police force being overwhelmed on a regular day, but I would think for the October 14th Anniversary, they would've brought in some reinforcements from nearby towns/county/state/what-have-you.

There was alot of good crying in this episode. My vote goes for Therioux's rendition of Homeward Bound.

• Love 7

At the end of the episode I kind of wondered if Kevin did {finally} die (and maybe John too). That scene of coming home to his whole family (ex-wife, daughter, friend/partner in hiding bodies Matt with his now awakened wife, son, infant daughter, and Nora) was just too perfect....it reminded me a lot of Ricahrd Harrow's death scene in "Boardwalk Empire" with his family. But yeah, I know, that's not the case cause Kevin can't die. Hopefully he'll be able to appreciate his home and family now without Patti tormenting him.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 6

For me, it was another episode I couldn't look away from.  

I wanted to pull that woman's nose ring, chain thing right from her face.  Taking babies isn't cool.  Leaving them in the middle of a stampede is even worse.

I need to let this one percolate a little more.

Oh man, I was so surprised when she snatched the baby, I guess I should have expected something like that since she kept saying "that's not your baby" and such. Then seeing the baby just laying where it was?!! holy crap then someone stomped on Nora as they ran by!

Heh,did you see the fake hair on the dummy baby when the lady ran away with her?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

The guy in the bar who told dreaming!Kevin that he had to sing, has he appeared before? I don't remember him other than last week. And I lost track -- anyone know approximately how many days had passed since the girls first vanished?

I wonder if next season will continue this story line or do a change-up like they did between S1 and S2.

• Love 1

I liked it overall - it was a satisfying season ending.  It was great to see what happened with Evie and her friends, and Mary even woke up! 

Funniest part of the show for me was Kevin trying to call his dad on the limbo hotel tv.  I was able to embrace the crazy this time, maybe because there was no Patti. 

Were Meg, Evie and the rebel GR in an observatory at the end?  What was that place?

• Love 3

Were Meg, Evie and the rebel GR in an observatory at the end?  What was that place?

They were in the visitor's center, which was all glitchy for some reason. We've been there a few times. It's where Nora bought her house and later, where Matt got in that fight.

• Love 5

I'm glad Kevin seemingly got a happy ending coming home to everyone that mattered to him. It's a season finale I can live with til it returns in elebenty months.

Homeward Bound is one of my favorite S & G songs. What a perfect song choice for that scene.

Also glad that Mary really did wake up and Matt wasn't imagining it all.

• Love 5

"I don't understand what's happening."  "Me either"

Regina King was killing it on the scene on the bridge crying, hugging, & screaming at Evie. Her face said it all when Evie held the sign saying "you understand."

So does anyone understand the deal with Evie?   What about that story her brother told about her crying when they were five?   Did anyone get it or is that another show mystery?  

On the list of highly implausible events with the bridge - we see Megan  face down on the bridge, someone cuffing her and the next time we see her hours later she's free and hanging out in the Miracle Park Visitors Center ruling the new terrorist arm of the GR.    I'm thinking Miracle has more than four police officers that bugged.  Strange how I can suspend belief for a hotel purgatory but not local cops failing to take down four girls.  

Satisfying season ending although I felt like Kevin when he woke up in the hotel bathroom and shouted, "Not this again!"   LOL, they got me with that one.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

The guy in the bar who told dreaming!Kevin that he had to sing, has he appeared before? I don't remember him other than last week. And I lost track -- anyone know approximately how many days had passed since the girls first vanished?

The guy in the bar was played by Bill Camp. This was his second episode, and he's only appeared in Kevin's purgatory hotel. My fan theory is that he's the demon Azrael, amassing souls in order to devour a percentage of the human race once again.

Per the episode Lens, Nora purchased her house on September 21st. It's now October 14th. The girls were missing (from September 22nd - a Lost date, I just realized) for three weeks and one day. 22 days.

• Love 4

Evie was crying when they were five because her dad was put in prison for attempted murder (for trying to kill her grandfather, Virgil). She didn't understand why he had gone away.

I think Evie had a lot of teenage angst combined with a messed up family situation - weird & abusive grandfather (I'm not just sure he only abused John....perhaps John shot him because he abused Evie or her brother); dad with anger issues who goes to prison for shooting abusive grandfather; super-religious brother who still hangs out with weird abusive grandfather;

and mom who is planning to dessert her & leave her with the ex-con dad with anger issues & brother. She knew there was still plenty of hurt and pain in Jarden without any departures.

• Love 9

I thought this was a great season finale!  A couple things could have been explained better, but we got far more answers in this season than i thought we ever would.  I also feel this season is now superior to season one.  So good.  I agree with those of you who said "Oh no" when he came out of that bathtub.  But at least it was wrapped up quickly.  I think that had to happen for John to finally understand there is something magical about that place.

As someone who loved Lost, I felt the end was beautiful. Everyone there together, which means something will happen to break it up next season.  But for that moment, all is right in Kevin Garvey's world.  

I also liked how the last scene with John and Kevin mirrored their first scene of the season (the wave from the porch).  So much to digest from this episode.  I rewatched the first episode last night, and I think that really helped tie everything up tonight.  I liked how there were a couple different shots from the replayed scene of Evie and friends leaving in the car.  Again, tying things up.  

• Love 13

So the GRs create the fake bomb drama just to storm the gate, a feat they could have done at any time? The crazy campsite crowd rushes into Jardin just to create another crazy campsite? The only reason Kevin had to sing to escape Hotel Purgatory is because Lindelof likes karaoke and wants to write a musical. The only reason Jardin has mysterious earthquakes is because Lindelof liked using them in "Lost." I feared that this season would go off the rails and, boy, did it ever. If Perrotta ever writes a sequel to his book and it gets adapted, that's the show I want to see.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 8

I loved it. Loved the use of music (even the karaoke which I thought would be dreadful, but got me). Loved all of the conversations we didn't hear, and the lapse at the end so we don't actually see what happened in Jarden, just the aftermath.

• Love 8

At the end of the episode I kind of wondered if Kevin did {finally} die (and maybe John too). That scene of coming home to his whole family (ex-wife, daughter, friend/partner in hiding bodies Matt with his now awakened wife, son, infant daughter, and Nora) was just too perfect....it reminded me a lot of Ricahrd Harrow's death scene in "Boardwalk Empire" with his family. But yeah, I know, that's not the case cause Kevin can't die. Hopefully he'll be able to appreciate his home and family now without Patti tormenting him.

Maybe they wanted to show how fractured Kevin's family seemed in the beginning, juxtaposed to John Murphy's which looked like the picture of "happiness." But by the end of the season it is Kevin who has the true happy family all they waiting for him ex-wife included and he of course fighting to finally get home to them instead of trying to die. Meanwhile you have Murphy worried about no one being there when he opens the door to his house.  

JT was really good in the Karaoke scene.

Edited by represent
  • Love 9

I guess Kevin needed a break after all his angst but the happy family reunion--not to mention recovery from the gunshot--didn't quite seem earned.

The GR breach of Miracle was much more satisfying to me. The whole weird National Park/tourist trap stuff with its rigid regulations and obsession with wrist bands was just as perverse in its own way as the GR. The more the Sudden Departure is co-opted for someone's ideological affirmation, the worse it gets. Forcing people to remember those they have lost and never recover from grief is bad but so is making regular small town people who managed to luck out on October 14 but had the usual tragedies and heartaches every other day into some blessed remnant forced to sacrifice their privacy and freedom of movement is just as bad. So the GR taking over the Visitors Center and destroying the blockade seemed poetic justice.

There are miracles in Jarden and the unseen force that is at play has its chosen ones, even if their favor isn't apparent in all things. It wasn't going to let Kevin bail on his family; no matter how often he died, it would send him back until he realized that his family was everything to him. I'm wondering if it also kept John from killing anyone with all his violence, so that he would have time to repent and gain redemption. Thinking back to the indigenous woman, the force seemed to favor her and then desert her but her baby was probably the chosen one. It survived all its perils and found a new clan, just as Lily has. (Nevertheless, I'd like to see the group that welcomed Kevin back getting through Thanksgiving without a meltdown.) I was very happy for Matt and Mary; he deserves some happiness after all his troubles.

Bleeding Kevin plus dog was too close to the Lost finale for comfort.

• Love 7
The guy in the bar was played by Bill Camp. This was his second episode, and he's only appeared in Kevin's purgatory hotel.

And he was also the guy on the bridge that wanted Kevin to jump with a rope around his neck right?

Funniest part of the show for me was Kevin trying to call his dad on the limbo hotel tv.

And did it naked! Bonus!

I thought Virgil was John's dad? But then I heard Regina King's son say to her it was her father tonight.At least that's what I thought he said.  Someone set me straight once and for all.

Wait was the dog in the house in the last scene?

I don't think so but it was very dark and he has a black fur.

I hope the dog returns to Kevin, they just reunited and now he's gone again.  (does he have a name?)

Speaking of... all the dogs in the cages were sure quite and mellow in the John/Kevin scene. No way they'd be that still, some would have been barking like crazy since they look like they have been unattended.(aw..)

Yeah I know, we have to hear the dialogue, so no noisy distractions during that scene.  Just being nit picky.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

I can now say that I do not understand the raves about season 2. It felt like an incoherent, mystical mess to me. There were shades of Lost season in there, which, IMO, is not a good thing. 

I've posted this before, but season 1 was just so much more gripping and beautiful to me. This season was just confounding and weird just to be weird. The Meg stuff made no sense and felt out of place.

• Love 6

I thought Virgil was John's dad? But then I heard Regina King's son say to her it was her father tonight.At least that's what I thought he said.  Someone set me straight once and for all.

Good lord I heard that too. I was like WTF is going on here?

So you mean to tell me he grew up an married the daughter of the man who molested him?

And I just don't see Michael calling him "your father in-law" while speaking to his mother about his grandfather, so when he said "your fa..." I think that's what I heard as well.

Edited by represent

thought Virgil was John's dad? But then I heard Regina King's son say to her it was her father tonight.At least that's what I thought he said. Someone set me straight once and for all.

I also heard the son say "your dad's" in this episode. I always thought he was Erika's dad, although I can't remember why, until everyone here kept saying he was John's dad.

When Evie wrote "You understand," her mom looked devastated, and I wasn't sure why. My first thought was that the cycle of abuse may have reached Evie, and either Virgil or her dad had abused her. Virgil would make more sense, especially if he's Erika's dad and abused her, and then abused Evie, and John shot him after finding out about Evie (and that could also help explain some of why she was so upset when John went to prison). Or is it something much more simple and I just missed it?

Kevin's refusal die kind of messed with me. When John shot him, I thought the show had managed to seriously shock me first by having him die at Virgil's, even though I didn't really think he was dead, and then be alive, only to kill him for real! And then he wasn't dead. Well played, show.

• Love 4

When Kevin was trying to get to his feet and finally get back in his damn house, I said -- out loud, while watching alone -- "So help me, if his entire fucking family isn't inside that house ..." And, lo, it came to be! Lots to process, but at least I can be happy about the ending.

• Love 7

How is it that people came in and collected all the impounded dogs without noticing Kevin's bleeding corpse? His body had to be blocking some of the kennel doors.

Everything about Miracle was so surreal at the end. I wasn't sure if it was real.

I was glad that Tom abandoned the GR for his family. And how appropriate that he helped save Lily. I wonder if he will ever explain his part in bringing Lily to them.

When Kevin walked into the house, the shot of Jill looked like the Jill from four years ago. At first I thought he was stepping back in the past. I wonder if it was deliberate.

• Love 4

I'm unsure about the ending.  Well, my feelings on it. It's a nice moment, yes, but if the show gets a third season-which I hope it does- I wonder how they can move from this happy ending. This show in an odd way is about Kevin and him being dark, I don't see the happy thing working out too well. If this is the series finale, that's different and it was a nice series finale moment. I wondered like others, if this was him being really dead. I do wonder where we go from here, though.

I really liked it. I was shocked as hell when John shot Kevin, and the when he woke up in the bathtub again, I felt so bad for him because I thought, "Oh man, after everything he went through to get rid of Patty, only to be shot by John because John couldn't handle hearing the truth -- that Evie didn't love him." I thought the karaoke was going to be pretty hokey, but it was kind of sweet. I don't think Kevin realized how much he loved his family, and how much he had to live for, until he was faced with the possibility of truly never seeing them again.

I really liked the second season. I thought the reset was really cool, and I thought the creepiness and insidiousness of the GR was much more effective when we saw them in smaller doses.

I read an interview with Justin Theroux a few days ago and he said he didn't know if the show would get a third season (I really hope it does), but if it didn't, he thought the finale was a nice way for the series to end. I agree. If this is it, we can imagine Kevin and his family being happy for approximately 47 seconds before something unbelievably fucked up happens to blow it all out of the water.

• Love 10

When Evie wrote "You understand," her mom looked devastated, and I wasn't sure why. My first thought was that the cycle of abuse may have reached Evie, and either Virgil or her dad had abused her. Virgil would make more sense, especially if he's Erika's dad and abused her, and then abused Evie, and John shot him after finding out about Evie (and that could also help explain some of why she was so upset when John went to prison). Or is it something much more simple and I just missed it?

Omg that makes so much more sense! Thank you! I just couldn't believe that John would marry his molesters daughter but on this show who knows, right?!

• Love 2

I definitely enjoyed this season more than the last one. I've got trust issues with Lindelof after Lost, and oddly that probably helped me keep my expectations in a good place. Someone is killed and comes back to life? Eh, Lindelof. Loopy nonsense is his forte.  Plus this has only been 20 episodes, a far cry from the 121 episode commitment of Lost. And I definitely thought this works as a series finale... and I'm not so sure that wouldn't be for the best. The actors all did a great job selling all the loopy nonsense. 

• Love 3

Delurking to gush about how much I loved loved loved the scene where Kevin is arguing with the guy in the bar about how to get back, and the guy tells him to sing.

Kevin: "I don't believe you."

Other Guy: "Why not?"

Kev: 'Because it's stupid"

We went back and watched it twice more after we finished the ep. His delivery was exactly perfect and hilarious. One of my favorite scenes ever.

• Love 11

"I don't understand what's happening here"

"Me either"

The most meta of dialogue ever.

I do not know if Kevin lived or died and if him getting back home was his reality or his heaven.

And I'm totally okay with that.

• Love 9

JT singing Homeward Bound was perfect. Perfect song for the show/episode/actor. It was doubly perfect because he didn't sing it pitch perfect. The lyrics were perfect. Okay. I'll stop with the perfect now.

In my head canon:

• Tom just faked joining the GR so he could get inside Miracle to his family.
  • The last earthquake killed John in his house.

So, is Kevin like a cat with nine lives?

Yeah, and a cat who made friends with the dog who bit him. Heh.

Fix that, Jesus.

And He did. LOL.

The only choice I'm not sure was good was the last scene between Kevin and John where Kevin was all bygones and forgiveness. It seemed weird because of their respective racial backgrounds. IDK, but there's so much racial baggage in the US that it was hard not to find it paternalistic at best. Mileage will definitely vary, so sorry if I sound like a killjoy.

• Love 1

Omg that makes so much more sense! Thank you! I just couldn't believe that John would marry his molesters daughter but on this show who knows, right?!

I interpreted that as Evie knowing her mother had been planning to leave too, but I'm not sure how she could have known that.

Edited by waterytart
  • Love 4

This episode was not fooling around, showing Kevin with the cinderblock jumping into the water. I need to rewatch S1 cause I can't remember crapall; did Kevin try to kill himself last season during any of his "lost time" periods? I'm unclear if he's trying to die because of the guilt of Patty's death or a different reason that originated last season.

Also, it was harsh to see the 3 girls turn away after seeing Kevin jump. That's dedication, but their cause is about celebrating chaos and loss.

• Love 1

How did Kevin beat the girls to the lake?

The girls drove off while the Garveys were leaving the Murphys on foot. Even if he jumped in a car right away, he was there long enough to tie himself to the cinder block.

Incoherent mystical nonsense indeed.

• Love 4

I found this episode to be really disturbing.  Probably when it was written, it was about Mexican immigration to the US.  Now, with Syrian refugees, even more troubling re the symbolism.  So those refugees are storming the gates and bring debauchery and bad times with them.  I could  be wrong, but what else should we take from this, if not that?

I was pleased to see JT's nakedness, but the whole walking around with a giant hole in his stomach and bleeding out?  I know we are supposed to suspend belief, but I just kept wanting someone to call 911 and render aid.  

Good to know that Mary confirmed Matt is not a rapist.  This show, ergh.

• Love 2

Evie was crying when they were five because her dad was put in prison for attempted murder (for trying to kill her grandfather, Virgil). She didn't understand why he had gone away.

I think Evie had a lot of teenage angst combined with a messed up family situation - weird & abusive grandfather (I'm not just sure he only abused John....perhaps John shot him because he abused Evie or her brother); dad with anger issues who goes to prison for shooting abusive grandfather; super-religious brother who still hangs out with weird abusive grandfather;

and mom who is planning to dessert her & leave her with the ex-con dad with anger issues & brother. She knew there was still plenty of hurt and pain in Jarden without any departures.

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Thank you.  

How is it that people came in and collected all the impounded dogs without noticing Kevin's bleeding corpse? His body had to be blocking some of the kennel doors.

I thought they must have noticed him but didn't care - these are the same people that not only didn't stop to pick up a baby but trampled over Nora on the bridge.  In my mind they ran in, opened all the cages and ran out. 

How did Kevin beat the girls to the lake?

The girls drove off while the Garveys were leaving the Murphys on foot. Even if he jumped in a car right away, he was there long enough to tie himself to the cinder block.

Incoherent mystical nonsense indeed.

They didn't drive straight to the watering hole/lake.  Remember Kevin went to bed,  then got up - tried to kill himself and then there was an earthquake that emptied the water and he "woke up" with the cinderblock tied to himself.  

• Love 1

I definitely liked it. Felt similar to season one's finale with some emotional closure even if the story logic got hazy. I didn't even mind going back to the territory of International Assassin because I appreciated the fact that Kevin had the exact same reaction that I did, "it's stupid." But his singing karaoke, admitting to himself that he loved Nora,and he wanted to get back to his family meant more to me than the Patti situation did.   

So I'm definitely in for, HBO willing, season three. And once again, you just have no idea where the show could really go from here. Kevin's, "I live here now," makes it seem pretty firm that they're sticking in Jarden. It's hard to imagine the cast together in one place although I'd love to see a few episodes of the characters interacting. And I agree with the idea that Kevin doesn't seem like the type to ever find lasting peace. 

My guess is the dog leaving Kevin at the end there, didn't speak well for the mental health of the town. "Not our dogs anymore," and all that. 

Still love Nora with her mystery-solving, baby-saving, telling awful people to fuck off, self. Happy to see Matt isn't a coma-rapist.

• Love 6