Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Swan Song

• Start Topic

Well sure, but enabling the Dark Ones to have the ability to send them to hell is just as bad as him actively trying to send them to hell, IMO. And I agree that not caring about collateral damage as long as he gets his revenge is in-character for Hook, but I think this goes beyond collateral damage.

I would feel better about it if I thought Hook actually needed the other Dark Ones to get his revenge on Rumple. He didn't need them. This is where the collateral damage explanation fails and where the plot fails. He made a deal with them to get out of Camelot but he could have gotten back to Storybrooke with Merlin's wand. No curse necessary. He didn't need to send Rumple to hell to get his revenge, and I'm frankly surprised by his lack of imagination in this regard, so there was no need to resurrect the Dark Ones at all. If we're supposed to believe that the revenge he had planned for Rumple in the Underworld was oh so horrible (and probably what Hook himself is suffering right now), then we must also believe that he was okay with damning all of the good guys to the same fate. As you say, it goes beyond collateral damage.

I'm okay with it because he actively chose to take that fate, the worst thing he could think of to do to Rumplestiltskin, onto himself. 

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 4

Yikes!  Maybe Dark Emma was on to something with her "Put the Darkness in Zelena and kill her" idea, after this turn of events.  Figured it was going to end in Hook's death instead, but I'm also not surprised it sounds like they already have a way to bring him back.  Don't see this show offing a relatively liked character and pairing like that.  Still, Jennifer Morrison and Colin O'Donoghue sold the hell out of it that I at least found his "death" somewhat sad.

And, of course, his sacrifice wasn't even what he thought it was because of fucking Rumple.  Of course, he had a trick up his sleeve and this all to make him the Dark One again.  Now one with with the powers Emma (and I guess Hook) had.  That's just great.  As much as I love Robert Carlyle, I really find it hard to buy that no one is going to try to take him out for good, because at this point, it really has been established that he is never going to change.  The man loves his power and will do anything to have it.  You can't ever trust a guy like that not to just randomly kill or hurt you.  At least Emma is bribing him to do her bidding, but I'm sure he'll still stir shit up.  And, of course, Belle has already fallen in love with him again.  Make up damn mind, Belle.  You too, show.  Either just have her accept that she likes him evil and make her down with it, or end it.  Because I am growing tired of this bouncing back and forth.

Regina uses that wand and successfully boots Zelena back to Oz.  Isn't that actually a bad thing?  I mean, I thought that the reason she couldn't use it in the first place was because she wasn't evil enough.  Or am I just confusing things?  Either way, I'm sure this isn't it for Zelena either.

Flashbacks reveal Hook killed his dad during his "teaming up with Regina" days, and that he has a half-brother also named Liam.  I'm sure he'll be popping back up. Also, did anyone on this show actually have a good parent?  Maybe Hook and Rumple could have avoided some of their issues, by bonding over how sucky their fathers are.

Snow and Charming barely did anything again.  I still can't believe Ginnifer Goodwin is actually the top billed star.  At this point, I think she gets the least amount out of the entire list of regulars, and I'm including the likes of Sean Maguire and Rebecca Mader.

So, the next part of the season is going to at least start out as Once Upon A Time in Hell.  At least that could be fun.  Although, they are really bringing Henry along with them?  Hate to be ageist, but I really don't think you should be bringing along a teenager to the underworld, and risking eternal damnation, guys.

• Love 1

In Colin's interview he is very much of the opinion that his father was spinning him a web of lies about everything and that he was planning to abandon Liam 2.0. Was there was more to those scenes that was cut? Because while his dad's tale of True Love's Kiss from someone he'd never talked to seemed ridiculous, he did ask for two passes. Were we supposed to infer from Papa Hook telling Liam 2.0 the same thing he told Hook just before he abandoned them that he was planning the same thing there? I'm kind of hoping Liam was picked up by the curse and living with a nice family who still loves him to this day.

• Love 5

To up the positive comments, I must say I loved the casting job on all the Dark Ones.

Can I tell you that I love you?

So, the next part of the season is going to at least start out as Once Upon A Time in Hell.

Hah! I'm sure those who hate Hook and CS wouldn't consider that an apt title. lol

Because while his dad's tale of True Love's Kiss from someone he'd never talked to seemed ridiculous, he did ask for two passes.

I think that's what Hook may have believed, but that's not what played out. Unless Colin forgot about the two passes. Edited by Rumsy4

In Colin's interview he is very much of the opinion that his father was spinning him a web of lies about everything and that he was planning to abandon Liam 2.0. Was there was more to those scenes that was cut? Because while his dad's tale of True Love's Kiss from someone he'd never talked to seemed ridiculous, he did ask for two passes. Were we supposed to infer from Papa Hook telling Liam 2.0 the same thing he told Hook just before he abandoned them that he was planning the same thing there? I'm kind of hoping Liam was picked up by the curse and living with a nice family who still loves him to this day.

Yes. I didn't understand that. I guess there was a scene that was cut where Hook finds out his father was lying?

Also, TLK with someone you've never meet but "heard" talking while under a curse is ridiculous.

Edited by Serena

The reason why is because he said the same exact thing the night he abandoned Killian and Liam. So he thought he was doing the same thing once again and abandon Liam 2.0. Which to him was a sign that his father never changed.

So has Liam 2.0 changed his name to Inigo?

Will Liam 2.0 go the route of poor Owen or will he merely be a blip on the radar like Percival? Find out next season on Once Upon a We Don't Care About These Kinds of Issues.

I must say, I did find it hilarious how the show has gone out of its way to shoehorn in as many Neal references as possible this season, but when Emma's like, "Rumple tricked Killian! He died for nothing! He wanted to die as a hero but the villain withheld information from him! We need to bring him back!" Absolutely no one was there to rebuttal with, "Didn't Zelena do something like that to Neal? Are we bringing him back, too?" That's why I think Rumple is willing to go along with the gang to the Underworld – he's totally going to get his son back, ditch everyone else, and then lie about it to Belle when he returns, which she'll love because she's all about it when he lies. "You brought Neal back from the dead but everyone else just happened to not make it back alive? Doesn't sound fishy at all! Let's make out!"

I do like how they're hinting at a big Emma vs. Rumple showdown in the future. Rumple actually seemed intimidated by how powerful Emma's savior/driven-by-love magic is. Now that would be an awesome message to send: Emma Swan is able to defeat Rumplestiltskin with only her light magic, even though he was the power of literally all the Dark Ones in existence, theoretically making him the most powerful sorcerer in Once's history.

• Love 9

But I'm still having a little trouble with arguably the most loyal character in the series suddenly trying to send his girlfriend's entire family (including her child) to hell just because he's mad at her. Even Rumple would have never done anything like that to Belle. Too far, writers.

Me too. And I'm having trouble believing he would have orphaned and walked away from Liam 2.0.

But I'm still having a little trouble with arguably the most loyal character in the series suddenly trying to send his girlfriend's entire family (including her child) to hell just because he's mad at her. Even Rumple would have never done anything like that to Belle. Too far, writers.

Me too. And I'm having trouble believing he would have orphaned and walked away from Liam 2.0.

Taking this to the Killian character thread.

the magic of Colin's expressions....the way he portrayed Killian surfacing as he watched Emma choking. ..the way the life came back in his eyes so, so slowly...as if coming up from the depths....

You could see the moment his face went "what the eff am I doing?? what is wrong with me!!??" Amazing.

If for nothing else, this arc at least gave us amazing performances from Colin and Jen.

• Love 9

Waaaaaay too much borrowing from Buffy in this episode: Emma/Buffy in a black leather jacket marching around with a big ass sword, Emma/Buffy sacrificing herself to save the ones she loves, and of course Becoming, Part 2. I was totally expecting "Close your eyes" followed by Sarah MacLachlan and a bus trip to an exciting career as a diner waitress. I just saw Lily stake herself Darla style on The Vampire Diaries a few days ago so I'm really starting to get fed up with shows just ripping off emotional moments from the Jossverse.

Last week:

Gold: I'm a good man now! I'm not evil!

Belle: I know. Bye!

Belle: You lied to me. Let's do it!

Loved that Hook reminded Regina that she cursed an entire town just to get back at a little girl who told a secret. I'm surprised that the writers were willing to remember that Regina was the evil queen. And I really loved when Regina claimed she had changed and Hook said she can tell herself whatever she wants.

As annoying as I found Zelena last season, I loved that she gave absolutely no fucks this season and got to do things like browse paint swatches. Pistachio Hood!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

What the Buffy hell did I just watch? You can't just rip off Buffy on a whim. That episode killed 15 year old me. It meant something and they weren't like, ok let's save him and undo this right after it happened.

I was a lot older than 15 when I watched that episode and it killed me too.  If Once was going to copy Buffy, they should have left the "let's go save him" till at least the next episode, so the viewers can at least wonder if he's possibly really gone for good.

• Love 2

Eh, I get that those Buffy moments are iconic, but I wouldn't say a hero wearing black leather and carrying a sword, someone trying to sacrifice herself, and someone having to kill someone they love for the greater good is really something Joss Whedon invented.

• Love 10

The theories we come up with are always more detailed and complicated than what happens on-screen. lol

Preach!  One line non-explanations for major relationship changes.  "I came back because you lied selflessly".  "You are good because you asked for help." 

They put more thought into scenes that are just there to show off the EQ's flashy wardrobe.

• Love 3

I was kinda creeped out that Gold slept with his wife after becoming the DARKEST DARK to ever Dark. But, there comes a point, when you have to give up hope for a character. It's her fate in life to constantly be deceived by the Dark One. 

Hey--maybe when Rumple comes back from Hell, Belle will have a baby, and they'll name him Baelfire. Just like Liam 2.0.

I'm thinking Belle is going to have to admit to herself at some point that she likes the bad boy type. No one is this oblivious.

• Love 6

The bad: Such a melodramatic episode really doesn't benefit from pre-emption/delay for a presidential press conference about real tragedy. Glad ABC.com was able to cover what my DVR didn't get. As far as things the show can actually control... well, I held out longer on enjoying Rumple than the majority here, but that was it for me as far as his being a useful or enjoyable character. They've gone to that well too many times and he is officially a cartoon with no redeeming virtues and no role other than to make the other characters look stupid and impotent as they spin on a hamster wheel.

The mixed: On the one hand, I always wanted to see little Killian flashbacks and I got one. On the other hand, now my own head-canon is messed up (primarily because there's not a big enough age gap between Liam and Killian).

The good: Yeah, Emma dropping an "I will always find you" makes up for a very lot.

I think it's a riot that the two times I can remember paramedics it's been for Hook. Who called them??

Why didn't Emma just magic him to a beautiful glass coffin in a marble mausoleum?

How did Rumple manage enough power to mess with Excalibur. Everyone is always hijacking everyone else's spells.

Thanks Nealfire for bringing Rumple back.

Nimue turned out to be pretty lame.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 1

How did Rumple manage enough power to mess with Excalibur. Everyone is always hijacking everyone else's spells.

Apparently he had a "just-in-case" all purpose potion hiding in the Safe of Requirement?

And maybe the paramedics took Hook's body to a freezer, so it's not too rotty when they get back?  Or are we expecting Hook's spirit to just march up out of the underworld and we're to ignore the body that was carried away?

Edited by Mari
  • Love 4

I'm thinking Belle is going to have to admit to herself at some point that she likes the bad boy type. No one is this oblivious.

After all that speech of needing to take care of her heart, why did she jump back into bed a relationship with him? What about taking some time to repair the trust issues and pain? Seems an blatant ploy to leave the door open for a Rumbelle baby. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2

Re: Zelena in Oz, I think the plot is was that Robin had an hour 'to live' and Zelena was going to be left to raise Green Bean on her own and expressly said she was going to raise the baby to be wicked. With Robin 'dead'. Z would have sole custody, so Z got banished to Oz protect the baby. Robin and Regina were going to be 'dead' shortly.

Then they went to hell. At that, I've got nothing.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 2

After all that speech of needing to take care of her heart, why did she jump back into bed a relationship with him? What about taking some time to repair the trust issues and pain? Seems an blatant ploy to leave the door open for a Rumbelle baby. 

Maybe he just has mad skills in the bedroom.

• Love 3

As others mentioned, she RT'd some tweets dissing the show. I understand being upset that your stuff was cut, but regulars have to come before guests. That was hella unprofessional.

I'm so glad someone else finally said this! I have to believe there's no way that they wouldn't inform the actors ahead of time that the episode had cuts, but even if they didn't- isn't that just kind of how the cookie crumbles sometimes in that business? Jennifer even mentioned that in her interview about directing- how she does the research and studies and prepares for her role but ultimately someone else is shaping the larger story line?  Lots of things happen and bigger name actors than her end up on the cutting room floor. It sucks, but oh well.

Does anyone know, did they order an extra episode so they could do a 2 hour season finale again in May? 

I haven't seen the episode yet because I'm away but I've read the articles and interviews...reading the EW one where Jenn says the over riding lesson was that she has to learn to let go and not control everything. So I guess she should've let Regina become the Dark One last finale or let Hook (the only one who believed in her) die in the Middlemist field. Yet, it's ok when she helps or saves everyone else, but when her own happiness comes into play, just let it go?

It sounds to me that the whole arc was pointless beyond Captain Swan making out every episode. No foreshadowing about Dark Hook coming, no resolution to Merida or Camelot. And it was all for naught anyway because despite destroying the darkness, Rumple is the new dark one? Seriously if Emma wants to share a heart with Killian, take it out split in half, put back, no trip to Underworld needed. Perhaps tha Charmings and Robin and Regina are wanting sometime away from their newborns so they fancy a trip to another world which why they don't tell Emma this fixable in Storybrooke?

• Love 4

After all that speech of needing to take care of her heart, why did she jump back into bed a relationship with him? What about taking some time to repair the trust issues and pain? 

People have knocked the Storybrookers for not telling Belle about ReDark Rumple--and they're right.  She should be told.

But, considering the relationship pattern of Belle focused on whether or not Rumple's willing to sacrifice for her, not on Rumple's overall moral character, I'm not sure she would care.

He did sacrifice for her--and that's all Belle would usually see.  The way she's been written so far, as long as she can point to that personal sacrifice that places her needs/wants above his, she doesn't really care much about how others are treated.

• Love 1

Eh, I get that those Buffy moments are iconic, but I wouldn't say a hero wearing black leather and carrying a sword, someone trying to sacrifice herself, and someone having to kill someone they love for the greater good is really something Joss Whedon invented.

No, Joss Whedon didn't invent any of those things, but when they are all very recognizable elements from a very iconic episode on one show and are all used again in a single episode of another show, it's going to be noticed and the two will inevitably be compared. Unfortunately for OUAT, a blonde girl who is the chosen one running a sword through her boyfriend who was a former bad boy, became a better man for her, went evil because of circumstances beyond his control, and then became a good guy again moments before said sword running to save everyone else was done first and better on BtVS. Then for bonus points, throw in the blonde heroine dressed all in black wielding a special sword intended to kill her boyfriend (particularly the moment where she pulls the cloth covering the sword) and one of the bad guys drawing a knife across the palm of his hand to open a portal to hell in the same two episodes. And it's not like the OUAT writers and producers are completely unaware of this extremely similar storyline since Jane Espenson worked on both shows.

I have to believe there's no way that they wouldn't inform the actors ahead of time that the episode had cuts, but even if they didn't- isn't that just kind of how the cookie crumbles sometimes in that business? Jennifer even mentioned that in her interview about directing- how she does the research and studies and prepares for her role but ultimately someone else is shaping the larger story line? Lots of things happen and bigger name actors than her end up on the cutting room floor. It sucks, but oh well.

Things get cut in editing all the time and it would be nice if people were informed ahead of time but that doesn't always happen. On other shows, it's not as common to have a recurring guest star's role completely cut from an episode, but OUAT has such a huge cast that it's not surprising. You'd think people might be notified when their scenes are cut, but it doesn't always happen. Most egregious lack of notification: Adrien Brody's role in The Thin Red Line was huge in the script, as in he was the main character. It was supposed to be his big breakout role. The first cut of the movie was six hours long. After they edited it down to three hours (!), his character was basically a glorified extra with like two lines. No one told him so he showed up to the premiere with his family and found out while watching the movie that he had been edited almost completely out of the entire film. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Well, I've told this show to go to hell plenty of times...at least they're finally listening to their fans.

Also, until now I've been referring to Zelena's offspring as "Rapefruit" but I intend to call her Baby Pistachio from this point forward.  

After sleeping on it, I'm okay with Regina being the one to talk DarkHook down. If Emma had done it, it would be framed as him reforming to please the woman he loves which is a weak foundation for redemption. With Regina talking him down, it becomes what he wants from himself. What kind of person he wants to be.

I would rather live without the retcon and Hook killing his Dad (did not grant him the redemption he himself seeks). 

I don't think that Rumple is actually being bribed by Emma - he is co-opting her plan. He's going to try to save Neal and I don't necessarily think he's going to use his own heart to do it (he'll probably do something gross like split Henry's heart). 

New name for Liam 2.0 - well, just like another Jones family with two Henry's, let's name the second one after the dog - Indiana. 

• Love 6

Detach brain, watch show.

Expect nothing intelligent, expectations met.

Hook emoting, all I need anymore.

I thought this was a haiku at first. But I can make it one:

Detach brain; watch show.

Lower your expectations.

Only watch for Hook.

• Love 19

I don't think that Rumple is actually being bribed by Emma - he is co-opting her plan. He's going to try to save Neal and I don't necessarily think he's going to use his own heart to do it (he'll probably do something gross like split Henry's heart). 

Lbr, he would sacrifice anyone in the group to get Neal back. No need to split anyone's heart. IA Rumple has his own agenda.

• Love 3

Ah, I am confused. So only Gold and people Emma cared about were marked? I feel like there would be more dark ones wanting to come back than that. Or was everyone marked and Belle could get away by leaving town? Then why didnt they all leave town? And why wasnt Neal marked? Is baby going to hell just too dark for network tv? And how do we know hook is in hell? Maybe hes in heaven? His dad was a total douche so killing him wasnt really a sin. And finally, why cant Regina get a better fitting bra? Sorry for the lack of punctuation, I am having keyboard trouble.

I’m so confused about Emma’s plan to share a heart with Hook.  Instead of going the UW to get him, why not just go to the morgue and stick half your heart in his body?  Seems like if you go to the UW, you have to get a higher being to give him his life back and if that happens, his heart would be intact, so why the need to share a heart?

My brain hurts.  I should stop trying to make sense of this, but I crunch numbers for a living, so shit needs to make sense.  But if I don’t suspend logic while watching this show, things will not end well for my TV or the flippable stand it sits on.  I have to learn to let go…I have to drink wine and just enjoy the pretty.

Edited by FierceAfroChick
  • Love 3

Bravo! Love it, Curio!!!!

(I thought about making it one but when I get into Haiku mode, I tend to get stuck there.

...we can call mine an "A&E " version of a Haiku.)

Promise a show with

declarations of greatness-

they just can't do it.

Rules that are broken

with not one explanation

litter all the scripts.

• Love 5

I think the thing that really bugged me the most was The Charmings, Regina, Robin Hood, and Henry going on this trip to the Underworld. Why would they go a place that can kill them all and that Hook "died" saving them from?

Snow/Charming have a baby they should be worried about. They instead of risk another baby of theirs growing up as an orphan.

Robin Hood and Regina just sent Zelena to another world so they can "protect" the baby from her. Now, Robin Hood and her are both leaving for Hell and risking both children growing up without their parents.

Also, everyone is taking a kid, Henry to hell with them. Like WTF? 

I think the thing that made me laugh the hardest was Emma stealing her parents line like Hook/Emma aren't about that life. The writers need to start creating lines for them instead of taking ideas Snow and Charming. 

• Love 1

I'm still confused about how Rumple's whole end-game played out with his All Purpose Plot Potion.   If Excalibur disintegrated, where did Dagger 2.0 come from, unless it's Dagger 1.0 - and if it is, then where did it appear/how did it channel into Rumple since he was standing right there with everyone and there was no tendrils of darkness flying to him and no dagger miraculously appearing.    And where did the bottom half of Excalibur go, since it was the binding blade for Dark Killian, not the dagger.

Oh well, that's too much thinking for a show where the plot can literally change with a wave of the hand.

Edited by jcin617

I think Killian was granting his father the right to redemption and to have changed, right up until he heard his father call his new son Liam 2.0 and feed the kid the same line he'd sold kid Killi before selling Killian and Liam Prime into slavery. Then Hook just saw red and murdered the man.

I'm confused timeline and geographically. Would Liam 2.0 be 12 now or 40?

And this wasn't entirely a Becoming redux. It was Becoming + Chosen redux. Yeah stabbing evil boyfriend through the heart to save the world was Angel (first name Liam) redux, but the guy chosen by the magical artifact to sacrifice himself and his telling the woman to let him sacrifice himself to be a batter man and to die a hero was Chosen Spike. Still very Whedon-y though. (Though Whedon plots are also full of holes).

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 3

So Emma being the Dark One was just a whole lot of nothing.  We got some nice moments but really all we go is that she and Hook are TL.  As the Savior she is supposed to have a ridiculous amount of power but that didn't translate at all to the DO.  She was the only one who didn't really use magic at all this episode.

The whole Wicked Witch back to Oz would be much more satisfying is there wasn't a freaking baby involved!  I have never been ok with the whole baby thing anyway-but still.

Once the rescue Hook from the Underworld-he better not die again.  It just won't mean anything anymore. 

Really the Grail just melted away to only the dagger part?  STFU Rummple- while I am ok with him being the DO again (never should have tried to redeem him in the first place)- I do not want to watch Belle constantly come back to him. 

I love the Captain Swan stuff (still just want a regular ILY at some point) but this whole arch just felt unfinished and everything was unearned. 

That's the word- it all feel unearned. 

I am not sure how I feel about the upcoming arch.  If I had any faith in the writers I would be all for it.  Greek mythology is rich with some fairly twisted tales as it is and I hope they show a good representation of the Underworld but I am not holding my breath...

I love and hate this show so much all at the same time.  It's exhausting.

When shelving baby Green Bean for the hell plot I wondered why they bothered birthing her yet. So much easier to explain not naming her and shelving everything had Zelena still been pregnant and locked up.

So, yeah, I woke up still angry about the episode. I loved all the Emma and Hook stuff but I'm still really blown by Rumple. They basically threw out all the development they've built the entire season and that's frustrating. I knew he was going to become the dark one again because it's this show but there were so many ways to do it. He could have been reinfected with the darkness. Or they could have had the darkness too powerful to actually destroy and Rumple could have nobly taken it in again to spare everyone and having to taint his brand new hero heart. I just don't understand the point of writing a television show where everything is discarded the next episode for shock value.

As for why Emma doesn't just go to the morgue and put her heart in dead Hook, I think they would have to be partly alive or only mostly dead to make that work or you'd end up crazy zombie like Daniel in season two.

• Love 2

I'd love it if the Storybrooke ("More like Storybroke, amiright?") folks were to run into Walt Himself in the Underworld. Then maybe he can break his cryogenically hardened foot off in someone's ass for wrecking fairtytales for everyone.

"Once Upon A Time: Ruining every story you ever loved as a child, one screwed up, unhappy non-ending at a time, since 2011."

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

I think the thing that made me laugh the hardest was Emma stealing her parents line like Hook/Emma aren't about that life. The writers need to start creating lines for them instead of taking ideas Snow and Charming. 

Yeah, as much as I love Emma and Hook, I'd prefer they have their own iconic love story moments/sayings versus retread Snowing lines.  I know they want to parallel those two relationships because they want to hit us over the head with them being true love, but really...we get it, writers.  Moving on...can we get some sex please? 

Edited by FierceAfroChick
  • Love 5

I'd probably say I was done with this show but I'd be kidding myself. It's more likely I'll stop watching it live and instead watch the more entertaining The Librarians. .

The show doesn't hold much for me anymore; me not being a Emma/Hook shipper. I know this is a fairytale where a woman's happiness lies in the arms of a strong man not in her own self worth but did this have to be so trite?

The only reason I still stick around is I like the Charming/Regina Family dynamic. I know people on this group don't but I do. I think it is sweet and it is the only reason I stick around this shinking ship.

Sad thing is DarkSwan had such potential. To bad the show did nothing with it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5