Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E16: Finale Part Two: America's Next Top Model Is…

Wow, did I just hear Mame diss her parents in her presentation, talking about the love and support she DIDN'T get as a child? With her mom standing right there?

I think she may have handed Nyle the win.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 9

What is this Feeling? My fav wins? That never happens.

They did seem to turn up the bitchy on Mame this week. She just kept ragging on Lacey and Nyle in her talking heads. And girl, no one carI s about your relationship with Justin. I also feel real bad for her aunt and uncle. I get it, not being loved by your parents is hard. But we're her aunt and uncle also terrible? I mean, they got her into pageants and she seems successful enough in that circuit. Her mom does seem standoffish but I'm sure she's just not comfortable in this environment...and also maybe she just isn't loving.

• Love 10

I also feel real bad for her aunt and uncle. I get it, not being loved by your parents is hard. But we're her aunt and uncle also terrible? 

Seriously. That's my first thought every time she says something like that. She didn't grow up homeless or in foster homes with strangers. As far as we know, she lived continuously with family, the aunt and uncle. That's not the worst situation one could be in. And yeah, as you say, she still was successful in things that they must have been supportive of. Whatevs.

• Love 5

Yes!!!!!

This almost makes up for the travesty of Keith winning over Will last season. I never thought I would watch this show again after that outrage.

I did skip the first half of this episode though. I couldn't take Nyle possibly being eliminated.

When I saw it was Nyle vs Mame I felt a lot better. If it had been Nyle vs Mikey I would have turned it back off. I am so over Mikey. But he and Nyle have been the best this season. They equally deserved to win.

What makes me even happier is that Nyle truly deserved to win. It had nothing to do with being deaf. He has been solid all season. Just one awful picture. And that was the one they had to do in the dark. But they ALL had bad pics that photoshoot.

I hope he breaks with tradition and has a great career. I know the winner usually bombs.

• Love 2

Eh, I like Nyle. I don't think he's the strongest model out there, but whatever. I'm happy for him. I actually think all of the final four will have decent opportunities. They were all fairly solid models. And I imagine they might get some extra buzz because this was the last season.

• Love 6

Wow. I thought they would give it to Mame after her runway performance. Nyle was a bit stiff but he'll get the hang of it. Glad he won. His love for his mom is so sweet. Mame's reaction to losing was bizarre. She wanted to be upset for the cameras but Nyle's happiness was too infectious. Then she tried to do a dramatic emotional breakdown with her mom but had to hide her face because she isn't a good actress. This ep had way too much filler (how many times do we need to rehash each model's backstory?) and the powerpoint presentation challenge was just silly. I skipped past most of it. Anyway, yay for Nyle!

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 5

Yay Nyle! Yes, the "hug the winner and get impaled" is very Tyra. At least she was consistent until the end. I am still trying to figure out how to describe what Tyra was wearing, Underalls with a sheer cover? I don't know.

This is bittersweet after posting with some of you (you know who you are) over the years. A ton of fun. And I'm not talking about Keenyah,

And Dolphincorn? We can split our time with Nyle 3 days each a week. You can take him to church on Sundays.

And poor Courtney on the runway. She was like a sad orphan. Which would have been fine if that was the theme (ghost brides anyone?).

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 4

Congratulations to Nyle though I'd have been okay with any of them (even Michael).  And Tyra's wardrobe has been stupid all season but there's always been a cycle where Tyra's hair or clothing are crazy so I feel this was just standard.  Also Tyra the part about models being b..... on the runway, let it go....

I'll miss posting as well because some of us have been together since TWoP.

Courtney was a mess but so was Devin.  What the heck was that and did he do that stupid bird of paradise thing at the end of the runway?  At least we can say that Keith was not the last male model to win ANTM.

I posted a thread earlier giving places to view the models' work and other NTM's since this forum might not be so active after tonight, "Places To View ANTM/Other NTM Photos" so you can follow the models if you wish.

• Love 1

Seriously. That's my first thought every time she says something like that. She didn't grow up homeless or in foster homes with strangers. As far as we know, she lived continuously with family, the aunt and uncle. That's not the worst situation one could be in. And yeah, as you say, she still was successful in things that they must have been supportive of. Whatevs.

I haven't watched every episode so I don't know the whole story behind Mame and her mother, but her situation is very similar to another pageant queen, Kenya Moore (Miss USA 1993, RHOA) .  She was raised by her aunt because her mom basically didn't want her (and still doesn't).  Also, I dated a guy who was raised by his aunt because his mom was a drug addict and he didn't find out that the person he thought was his mom was really his aunt until he was in his teens.  Those situations really did a number on these people.  Even though the aunts stepped up to the plate and did everything to give them love and support, they still seem to be crippled emotionally because they didn't get what they felt they needed from their bio mothers.  Maybe it's the same with Mame.  They seem to harbor some deep seated pain and resentment that makes them seem cold hearted and emotionally challenged.  Having both my loving parents raise me, I can only imagine how it feels to not get the love you need from the people who gave you life. 

Edited by swankie
  • Love 4

Did the money usually reserved for a trip go to flying everyone's mother in, putting them up in hotels?

I like Nyle and somehow feel meh about the whole thing.  I wish they could've found a voice to speak his words that was more natural sounding.

Still, I think that was probably as close to ending on a high note as they could've gotten.  All four finalists were strong.  The PowerPoint thing was...weird.  Tyra gave us one last bizarre outfit (that thing on the runway).  And the winner wasn't terrible!  

I'll miss the heck out of this show, though.  Probably not enough to watch reruns of anything past Cycle 9, but still.  Sigh...

• Love 3

Would have prefered Mame to win but at least Nyle is a good model, so it's not just a gimmick win.

This actually just made me hate Keith's win even more. Tyra clearly just wanted a guy to to win the last cycle (should have been Will if any), and had she just been fair, having Lenox win, and be patient, she'd have had her first male winner, and a good one at that, this cycle.

• Love 4

Poor Courtney and her jank ass walk. She would have been much better off if they had put her that body brace and crutches that Lady Gaga wore in Paparazzi. At least that would have explained why Courtney walks like a drunk wobbly robot.

• Love 3

I like Nyle and somehow feel meh about the whole thing. I wish they could've found a voice to speak his words that was more natural sounding.

OMG. THIS! That fake voice they gave Nyle has been bothering me all season, but I'm only realizing it now, with your post. It was so mechanical. Couldn't they have found something to match the man?

Those presentations were ridiculous. No way do I believe that the presentation had any bearing on who the judges (or the people at Zappos) chose to be the winner or the semi-finalists. But, really Mikey, you can't get through a joke of a presentation without breaking down into tears? We get it; you were poor as a kid. Ok. Why can't you compose yourself? He'd probably laugh if Courtney did what he did.

So we saw in Lacey's presentation that she is 5'7" and not 5'8". Wikipedia and I were wrong.

Those costumes, er, clothes...are you kidding me? A vest made out of spikes? A "shirt" that looked like a bunch of pieces of red rope licorice strung together, and a huge "22" pinned to one side? (Though I did love Mame's jumpsuit). What were those clothes supposed to stand for? What were we supposed to get from viewing them in a sequence? I felt like yelling, "soylent green is made out of people!" Agh!

It was just the slightest bit awkward when Mame introduced a not-completely-forgiving Justin to her mom: "Tell her all about yourself!" Ah, take the temperature of the room, darling.

I felt cheated out of seeing some of the earlier eliminated models when they were on the cat walk. Note to producer: we didn't need 37 shots of Devin; most of us have already seen too much of him already. Where was Delanie, my favorite? Why only one quick one-second shot of the gorgeous Ava wearing a technicolor dream coat? And was that Hadassah's back I glimpsed? I mean, we've been through so much with these guys, or at least it feels like we have. I think the editors could have swapped out some of the 39,000 shots of the violin players from every single angle imaginable in order to give us five full seconds of Stefano, Dustin, and all the other eliminated talent. Just cause you apparently don't care about them doesn't mean we don't...love ya, Delanie!

Edited because a pantsuit is not a jumpsuit.

Edited by N. Bluth
  • Love 1

I just finishing what this episode and am still processing my overall opinion.

However, I will say for now that I burst out laughing when Devin did his first walk. That alone made this episode worth watching. It was so over-the-top.

I know others are tired of him, but he made me laugh in what has (otherwise) been a pretty meh week.

• Love 1

WOOT! The gorgeous guy actually WON!  Stare at me from the pages of a magazine, shirtless, selling cologne or Jockeys, Nyle! (Did I mention shirtless?)

Mikey played the poverty card once too often, it seems. So once Mame' was named for F2, I thought for sure it was all hers. But the Lust of Kelly Cutrone prevailed! Haha!

I thought Devin was a hoot! Fashion ain't rocket surgery!

Sadz for the finale, though, because THIS FORUM! I also go back to TWoP, but with a different moniker.

I'll catch y'all on "Reality Home Ec": Top Chef, Master Chef/Juniors, Hell's Kitchen, GGG, Project Runway/Juniors, etc.! (And Arranged, MaFS, 90-Day fFiancée!)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

I'm happy Nyle won - the man really is just too handsome - but Mikey s mom made me cry when she blamed herself for his elimination. I would have been okay if he had won as well - I think they both ought to be able to work and I hope all four will be successful.

I think I will miss this silly show.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 6

At the moment, all I'm thinking is that I can't get over Nyle's outfit being horribly stabby during all the hugging at the end :D

Combined with the fact that Mame's had the big felt-looking "22" on it, I thought they were telegraphing the winner a little too clearly. But I was wrong...

So many tears.  Mame girl, at least you got a sexy boo out the whole ordeal.  I did chuckle when her mom plucked her eyelash off. That was cute.

I always thought they made a cute couple. I just didn't need to have so much film wasted on it. SleepingBagGate was teenage drama bullshit that was completely unnecessary. (I'm not a teenager though so...)

Poor Courtney and her jank ass walk. She would have been much better off if they had put her that body brace and crutches that Lady Gaga wore in Paparazzi. At least that would have explained why Courtney walks like a drunk wobbly robot.

And even with that jank ass walk she got more screen time than Bello...which made me quite happy. I even froze the video on the group photo to see if he was in there. He was right in the center and yet he was barely visible.

I'm happy Nile won, but Mikey s mom made me cry when she blamed herself for his elimination.

Oh yes...that was heartbreaking. This is obviously someone who's had a very hard life. That said, I have every confidence that Mikey's going to do well, especially with that other photoshoot posted in the last thread. Truthfully all of them should be able to make a decent living in the industry.

For me, this was a very satisfying end to 22 cycles of ANTM. I was fine with any of them winning but I'm especially happy that Nyle won. Also, seriously? I still want that photo of him with the dog.

I too am a carryover from TWoP but I was more of a lurker there. It was fun watching with you guys!

*sashays away* :)

• Love 2

I haven't watched every episode so I don't know the whole story behind Mame and her mother, but her situation is very similar to another pageant queen, Kenya Moore (Miss USA 1993, RHOA) .  She was raised by her aunt because her mom basically didn't want her (and still doesn't).  Also, I dated a guy who was raised by his aunt because his mom was a drug addict and he didn't find out that the person he thought was his mom was really his aunt until he was in his teens.  Those situations really did a number on these people.  Even though the aunts stepped up to the plate and did everything to give them love and support, they still seem to be crippled emotionally because they didn't get what they felt they needed from their bio mothers.  Maybe it's the same with Mame.  They seem to harbor some deep seated pain and resentment that makes them seem cold hearted and emotionally challenged.

And yet rich people have been hiring nannies to wrangle their toddlers and sending their adolescent offspring off to boarding schools for hundreds and hundreds of years, and those kids turned out fi....oh wait, maybe that's not a good analogy.

Anyway, no matter how Mame feels about it, Tyra probably did her a solid by not saddling her with the ANTM winner title. Nyle's career can probably withstand the hit it's going to take from winning.

I felt bad for Mikey's mom, but really, based on past evidence NOT winning was the best thing that could have happened to him.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2

Wow. I thought they would give it to Mame after her runway performance. Nyle was a bit stiff but he'll get the hang of it. Glad he won. 

What happened on that final runway had no real bearing on the result, I think it's safe to say. IMO it was obvious Nyle had won the moment they picked Mame over Lacey. Because Mame frankly is that odd kind of Model Generic. That "regal look" may elevate her feelings of self-worth, but it's also so well covered/done in the modeling industry already by countless other models.

• Love 3

I was hoping for a Nyle vs. Lacey final two, but I'll take this.  Here's how it shook out for me: 

1.  I wanted it to be Nyle vs. Lacey -- between the two, I was indifferent as to who I wanted to win.

2.  Next would be Nyle vs. Mamé -- where I would have been rooting for Nyle, or Mikey vs. Lacey -- where I would have been rooting for Lacey.

3.  Worst case (for me) would have been Mikey vs. Mamé -- I probably would have been half-heartedly rooting for Mikey.

One thing I learned from this....indirectly.....is that "Deaf" is sometimes capitalized.  I saw a People magazine article online this morning about Nyle winning and they referred to him as "Deaf" (with a capital D) throughout the whole article.  I was not aware of this practice, so I looked it up:  Lowercase "deaf" is generally used by hearing people as a label for individuals who cannot hear. Uppercase "Deaf" is used within the Deaf community to refer to a deaf person who identifies primarily with Deaf culture.  So, I learned something new this morning, which is always a good thing.  :-)

It will be interesting to see if Nyle's app ever comes out.

I did skip the first half of this episode though. I couldn't take Nyle possibly being eliminated.

When I saw it was Nyle vs Mame I felt a lot better. If it had been Nyle vs Mikey I would have turned it back off. I am so over Mikey. But he and Nyle have been the best this season. They equally deserved to win.

I skipped the entire runway part and most of the final elimination.....I didn't want to invest energy if the ending was going to make my head explode (it didn't).

At least she was consistent until the end. I am still trying to figure out how to describe what Tyra was wearing, Underalls with a shear cover? I don't know.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of look she was going for because it wasn't flattering....at all.

Those presentations were ridiculous. No way do I believe that the presentation had any bearing on who the judges (or the people at Zappos) chose to be the winner or the semi-finalists. But, really Mikey, you can't get through a joke of a presentation without breaking down into tears? We get it; you were poor as a kid. Ok. Why can't you compose yourself? He'd probably laugh if Courtney did what he did.

I thought it was interesting that Nyle and Lacey at least attempted to include in their presentations some sort of plan to help others....Mikey and Mamé seemed to be almost entirely focused on what winning would do for them and their familes only. 

Living only about 10-15 minutes from Hollywood, FL (I live in another of Fort Lauderdale's suburbs), I wonder how many people now think that Hollywood is some sort of poor, run-down, crime-runs-rampant, blighted area based on how Mikey presented his upbringing. 

• Love 1

I will say I got a big laugh at that interview bit with Nyle where he's being perfectly serious and we hear his translator and see him signing away like mad, while he's sitting there in this totally ridiculous red harness thing that would embarrass anyone in the universe sitting there in it.  I didn't know whether to laugh, or admire how nonplussed he was.

lWdhGs1.jpg

I also like that we finally saw that Lacey bothered to learn sign.  The show underplayed the relationship between her and Nyle so much--from the narrative we got early on you'd think Stefano was the only one who bothered.

But back to that harness.  I saw that and I couldn't help but think "Zardoz". (I know it's not REALLY the same other than being the same color and also a weird pseudo-bondage look, but still...)

obtoU7W.jpg

• Love 3

It will be interesting to see if Nyle's app ever comes out.

It's been out for awhile now, bundled with some other ASL apps in the iTunes store. I don't know if there's Android version yet.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1

It's been out for awhile now, bundled with some other ASL apps in the iTunes store. I don't know if there's Android version yet.

That's great....I always believed that he intended to do the app, but I wondered how he would go about it.  If I had an idea for an app, I wouldn't even know how to begin to make it actually happen.

I too am a carryover from TWoP but I was more of a lurker there. It was fun watching with you guys!

I'm also a TWoP vet (same name) and ANTM lurker. You guys are great. I'm sure we'll meet again for another Tyra show where she talks endlessly about her young modeling days and enunciates every syllable in a lame attempt to create drama. She won't go away quietly.

• Love 9

I'm also a TWoP vet (same name) and ANTM lurker. You guys are great. I'm sure we'll meet again for another Tyra show where she talks endlessly about her young modeling days and enunciates every syllable in a lame attempt to create drama. She won't go away quietly.

If Tyra isn't inventing a new word every few years, I think she may go into a funk.

I dread one day finding out that "tooch" has been added to some dictionary somewhere.

Don't know about Android, but here's a press release about the one you're talking about.

http://theaslapp.com/news/2015/11/6/announcing-nyle-dimarco

Basically the long and short of it is that rather than write a whole new app, they basically piggybacked Nyle's branding onto an existing one. It's really just their existing front end with videos of him plugged in.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I  also hail from TWOP since the beginning...aw I guess all things change in time.

I feel that I must point out that although Tyra made a big deal out of them being at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, they were not allowed IN the actual hall.  Walt let them set up on the landing OUTSIDE the place. I think the rent for the cement plaza out front was $150 a night vs. $18,000 for the actual hall.  Kinda like in the old TWOP fav "Showbiz Moms and Dads" where Shane Klingensmith's Mom was blabbering on and on how Shane was playing at the "Raymond James Stadium Where the Bucaneers Play" and he was really singing on a flatbed truck parked outside in the lot.

Mame had a flawless runway, Nyle was super stiff and I don't think he'd been less stiff if he could hear.  It was an inexperienced stiffness-same as Dustin.  I think Mame was robbed but man is she a bitch.  So was lacey but Lacey was a stealth-bitch.  Nyle is delusional if he thinks he has versatile looks.  He has one and only one look but at least that one look is gold.  He could definately be the next face of _____________(insert European designer cologne name here) .

I liked Mikey and wanted him to win but his Zappos photos were really dissapointing.  Laceys were the best but she has a weird body (too short, short legs)

Bye y'all!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

Glad Nyle won, he was the best overall individual. This show has never been about finding "the best model," if it was then Mikey would have won. And Will would have won last year.

Something was bothering me about Mame and I finally put my finger on it, seeing all her pics in a row. She is not photogenic. She is telegenic. She looks great in motion on TV (and probably in person), but in still pictures she looks stiff and dead-eyed.

• Love 6

big surprise (sarcasm)---the short deaf model won. The finale of Project Runway was a spoiler for this finale imo. I won't even mention all the white gloves which were also spoilers imo. At least Nyle can do catalog work and his photo with the husky was great. When shot from certain angles his face is gorgeous. This season, especially the finale runway, has been such a joke.

Kinda like in the old TWOP fav "Showbiz Moms and Dads" where Shane Klingensmith's Mom was blabbering on and on how Shane was playing at the "Raymond James Stadium Where the Bucaneers Play" and he was really singing on a flatbed truck parked outside in the lot.

I love you for this reference!!  I had to go look him up again.....please see:  http://shanekbass.weebly.com/

Back to ANTM, I chuckled for a second at this quote from Nyle to US Weekly re: Tyra: 

"When I first met her, I could feel her energy, [and] I knew we were connected somehow," DiMarco says. "One of my favorite things about her is that I'm able to read her lips without needing an interpreter. She speaks so clearly, and I think [her] knowing several languages helps."
  • Love 2

I've watched them all, and this was by far the most needlessly drawn-out, boring finale ever. I fast-forwarded to the last 5 minutes. I literally could not handle hearing any of the finalists going on and on and on about their stupid back-stories and why they deserve this and blah blah blah, ugh. It was painful. The stupid presentations were painfully stupid. I frankly didn't give a shit who won, but I was glad it was Nyle cuz at least he is not a douche. 

As to the cancellation, I am deeply grateful that I will no longer have to see or hear Kelly Cutrone ever again. Whoever told that bitch anybody gives a fuck what she thinks about anything created a monster. She is the most pointless creature I have ever endured. And you'd think someone with that much money (I assume) would be able to afford a stylist and/or hair/makeup person to do more with the down-market Vampira look she affects. I will miss Miss Jay with his funky weirdness but I have a feeling he'll pop up here and there. Tyra herself, ugh, I am sure we will see more of her. 

Thanks for the laughs over the years. I too have been lurking since the olden days in TWOP. No doubt someone will cough up another modeling competition show soon, so I hope to see you all there!

• Love 2

This is bittersweet after posting with some of you (you know who you are) over the years. A ton of fun. And I'm not talking about Keenyah,

I used to post on TWoP, but I don't remember if I posted much on its ANTM forum. I definitely read the recaps and threads. Those are always better than the actual show.

"When I first met her, I could feel her energy, [and] I knew we were connected somehow," DiMarco says. "One of my favorite things about her is that I'm able to read her lips without needing an interpreter. She speaks so clearly, and I think [her] knowing several languages helps."

Well, Nyle. I can say "Hello," "Goodbye," "How are you?" "Please," "Thank you," and "Where is the bathroom?" in several languages. It's not that big of a stretch.  ;-)

Edited by Surrealist

In defense of Mame... people seem to have this weird affection about their biolgical mothers/parents. I volunteered in foster care, there would be kids with horrible mothers, but they would idealize them and even make up stories what they done with their mothers. Like I cooked something for them and they would say "My mom makes this food better"... but I knew for sure their mothers hardly bother to took or take care of their kids at all or they would say they been to Egypt with their mom, etc.

Molly of cycle 16 was also having issues because she was adopted and people gave her shit about that, saying she was whining. Not sure how Mame was raised up, but judging by her tough exterior, it wasn't really ideal setting. She seems quite nice underneath it all though.

I am happy for Nyle, because it makes him happy, eventhough this win means a little.

What an underwhelming finale. But tbh, I never liked the finales, unless I liked both of girls. I enjoyed the finales in cycle 4, 6, 13, 15, 16, 17... otherwise, I didn't even watch them straight away, I just looked up the winner and watched it wayyy later. Antm finales seemed mostly so fillery. Hard to make a good story line with only two or three people (it was four this time, but nothing new was really revealed, their story lines had been told long ago... so it seemed pointless).

• Love 1

"No, Top Model's legacy is the celebration of all things Tyra: a testament to the undeniable power of believing in yourself to such baffling excess that the reality of your abilities becomes inconsequential."

This line just sums it up, doesn't it? Good article!

• Love 6

Something was bothering me about Mame and I finally put my finger on it, seeing all her pics in a row. She is not photogenic. She is telegenic. She looks great in motion on TV (and probably in person), but in still pictures she looks stiff and dead-eyed.

Yaaaaaassss! In that hotel series, she straight up looked like a dead person! How did she not win the Barbie challenge with those dead zone eyes?! And I can't believe Tyra (or her editor) passed up an opportunity to go on and on about this. I didn't actually she what she meant most of the time she accused someone of having dead eyes, but these were the deadiest of all time.

• Love 3

Nyle might be the most likable winner ANTM has ever had, so way to go out on a high note in that respect, TyTy. He is ridiculously handsome, and like someone else upthread said, probably good enough so winning won't hurt his career prospects. Good luck to him.

I'm also gonna miss discussing this train wreck of a show with all of you...I'm an old school TWoPper and have lived through Tyra's nuttiness with a lot of you. I love you guys! ;)

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 2

Wow so happy Nyle won! Hope he does lots more underwear photoshoots before fading into obscurity like all the other ANTM winners. He is definitely one of the best winners ever, alongside C13 Nicole, C6 Danielle, C8 Jaslene and C15 Ann.

Edited by Mattipoo