Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E25: Girl Meets The New Year

Best bits from the episode:

Smackle....she's just awesome. Especially her constant talks with Lucas.

Harper appearance....

The two Lucas/Maya scenes: both eating their questions and glaring at each other and the rooftop. Simple scenes, but they worked.

The Corpanga/Maya scene. Really love seeing them treat Maya like a second daughter.

Con:

FARKLE: I get that he doesn't want his friends to lie and keep secrets, but he really has no right giving Riley ultimatums when she is not ready at all. And not really caring about the consequences, especially regarding all parties involved. He seemed so zoned on Riley, but never thought what Lucas/Maya/Charlie would think/feel.

-No Zay.

I do wonder how this episode would have originally gmw, if Uriah (Josh) never got in that motorcycle accident and got written out.

I do wonder how this episode would have originally gmw, if Uriah (Josh) never got in that motorcycle accident and got written out.

Rowan gave an interview very recently and said that Josh's name is still mentioned during the episode because they weren't sure if Uriah would be able to film. Did I just miss the mention?

Rowan actually said they wrote Josh out of the episode on the day they filmed because Uriah was still in hospital, which is crazy to me. However, that makes me think his role wasn't actually that prominent if they were able to reshuffle things that quickly. He probably would've just been there to make Maya's "can you love two people at the same time" card more obvious, and there probably would've been a Josh/Maya scene, but I think the end goal of Maya choosing to spend midnight with Lucas and them having that scene on the rooftop would have stayed the same even if Josh was in the episode. 

• Love 1

Harper was a great addition to this cast, it's good to have an adult who isn't directly related to the main character. (Also, its ice to have a style goal on this show who isn't a 14/15 year old girl!)

Anyway, this is weird. These kids are kids. I feel like they shouldn't be worrying about their love lives. They should be studying.

I'm so over Charlie. He was cute in the dance episode, but like, why is he so pushy? Give Riley a break? (I do like, however, whenever he comes back, Maya's video narrator voice comes with him.)

Farkle was so rude, too. I mean I guess I get it, but he needs to stay in his lane.

Where is Zay? Zay over Charlie any day. 

• Love 4

I feel like if this was on ABCFam like BMW was or another channel that wasn't Disney, Charlie would be a totally different dude. Even here, by Disney standards, he's one step away from creepy stalker. Didn't he and Riley only go out on one date?

• Love 2

Anyway, this is weird. These kids are kids. I feel like they shouldn't be worrying about their love lives. They should be studying.

I said something similar recently. It (the whole triangle mess) would make more sense to me if the characters were aged up to 15, 16, or 17. Now at their current ages I just feel like rolling my eyes at the melodrama and rushed declarations of "love". 

Also, based on the GMW writer tweets, its apparent to me that the writers are enjoying the hell out of stringing along the tween crowd and feeding the competition/ obsessive nature of their young audience.

• Love 2

I agree with those who say the writers are rushing things in the romance department.  "Friends" had less romantic conflict, and its characters were twice the age of Riley and her friends.  It's fine for them to have crushes, and it's fine for them to get dramatic over them.  That's what 14-year-olds do.  But the writers are writing these characters as if they are choosing a mate.  It's all far too serious.  

I was enjoying the show much more over the summer when the BMW cast was making frequent visits.   I want Mr. Feeny and Mr. Turner, Eric and Shawn, Amy and Alan, and Jack and Angela!  I want the teenagers to act like teenagers.  

• Love 4

I'm disappointed because the cast made it seem like this episode would resolve the triangle and it really didn't do that. Riley's true feelings were revealed but not by choice.

I actually agreed with Farkle's decision to share Riley's secret. She put him in a tough spot and she also wasn't being fair to Maya or Lucas by not being honest. I truly believe being a love martyr for them to become a couple would only hurt her in the end.

I'm disappointed that she couldn't do it on her own. While I agree that the writing is a little heavy handed for this show its really not that different from Cory and Topanga's sometimes tumultuous relationship, also at a young age.

I wish that Katy or Shawn could have been present to guide Maya as well.

• Love 1

Moving this over......

Anyway just saw the episode because curiosity got the best of me. If there were any hopes for this to be the end of the triangle, think again, it's another cliffhanger ending that solves absolutely nothing. Boy meets world was about two male bestfriends who could make it through anything and nothing could damper or ruin their relationship and nothing ever did. Girl meets world since it's about two females this time it's the law that in order to strengthen their relationship they both have to like the same guy at the same time (and they both have to talk about their kiss/almost kiss scene with the same guy but all bestfriends do when they like the same guy) and their friendship takes a backseat to that for a while until this boy chooses one of them. It's hilarious the double standard and I'm extremely disappointed with it that these writers decided to go this route.....and make it never ending.

Regarding Lucas meets world and which lovely girl he gets to choose the boy was very jealous most of the episode of Charlie he hardly noticed Maya (whenever Riley's around Lucas takes a while to notice Maya and especially when Charlie is with her) until she came up to the roof and I'm not gonna lie her being nice might have made him consider her but at the end of the day let's ask ourselves where would this whole thing be if Riley never told Lucas she thought of him as a friend? And there's my answer to Lucas feelings, at least it should be the answer but these writers are gonna milk this storyline for everything. My whole point being Riley shouldn't have to step aside in order for Lucas to notice Maya or to think about whatever 'feelings' he might have had for her, why would people want that for Maya? I don't get it. I didn't realized I tolerated rucas this much until texas like most people, it's not Rucas itself it's the fact that people think it's ok for Riley to just let Maya have Lucas that bothers me, why should Riley give up something she likes who liked her back just because Maya likes him too? I've just come to defend Riley a lot.

And all this hate at Farkle whatever its not that he doesn't care for Maya but I think like me and most of the audience he's seen the evolution of Lucas and Riley because they've been Lucas and Riley for so long and it's not a crush any longer, its something else. Maya has the crush. it's like telling someone who's been married for a while to stop loving his wife and get with the hot chick he's might be attracted to.

Also ugh at Maya asking Lucas why does he care so much when Lucas was fighting with Charlie over Riley's favorite snack. Like she's was there when Lucas said he doesn't think of Riley as just a friend, it's been like two weeks of course he still cares (I also can't stand how she's been written throughout this storyline tbh). Also ugh at Riley and Maya not being together at midnight without Lucas, but I guess it's not about them)anymore is it?

• Love 4

Yeah, except that nobody ever asked Riley to step back for Maya. Maya never told Riley how she felt, Riley figured it out. This entire mess that's happened is because of Riley being impulsive, so I don't know how this is Maya's fault. Especially since she has thought of Lucas and Riley like brother and sister for quite awhile, so when Riley confirms it for her, why would she question it? And to say that Lucas never would've pursued Maya if it wasn't for Riley stepping back, that's probably true, but I fail to see how that's because he has no feelings for her. After all, that bull quote ("When I found out I was going to have a chance with you, it was about the scariest moment of my life") makes it obvious that he never thought she was interested in him, not that he doesn't like her.

And if he really likes Riley so much, then why did he try and kiss Maya barely 5 minutes after being left alone together? Why did he take her on dates when they returned to New York, including coming back for another date after she dumped a smoothie on his head for using the exact same line on her that he used on Riley? He's not an asshole. Maya's his friend, and if he felt nothing he wouldn't lead her on just because "Riley's not available" anymore. And also, if he's so into Riley, why has he barely put a modicum of effort into their "relationship" for 2 seasons? He only asked her out in the first place because he was "pushed" into doing it by Maya. Then he doesn't talk to Riley for 2 months after they kiss. Then they only go on a second date because their entire class was pressuring them. Then they break up after about 5 minutes. Why didn't he comfort her and reassure her that he has feelings for her after he and Maya were voted best couple? Then he doesn't even bother asking her to the semi formal despite the fact that she said "I just want to be asked to the dance" right in front of his face. There was no obstacle in their way or reason for them to not make things official, until Maya's feelings were revealed, so why didn't he if he supposedly has such strong feelings for Riley? I always got a sense of ambivalence on Lucas' end ever since early season 1, and it was one of the reasons I never really cared about Rucas as a couple. And how come Zay, his best friend from Texas who he talked to on the phone all the time, came into New York and almost immediately started commentating on Lucas and Maya's interactions, mentioned that Lucas called her a blonde beauty, said that they like each other in Texas Part 3, ect? Why didn't he do that for Riley and Lucas?

It's pretty clear to me at least, that Lucas has some sort of feelings for Maya, even if he never really let himself think about it or explore it because he also liked Riley and Riley was very clear how she felt about him from the beginning. It's laughable to say that Lucas is just using Maya because he can't have Riley, to be honest, and for people to blame Maya and call her selfish when this whole mess happened because Riley outed her feelings without her consent and then chose to step back when Maya never asked her to do that in the first place. 

Edited by dom16
  • Love 4

My original thoughts on the episode:

First off, I laughed so damn much when after Farkle thoughtlessly interjected that Riley still loves Lucas, that short kid from their class said "Thank you for a wonderful evening" and all the unnamed kids ran off of the rooftop to get away from their drama, LMAO. Too good.

IDK. I feel like this story (the whole three way relationship confusion) would have more weight to it if the characters were 16 or so? Since they're supposed to be 14 (although Peyton looks 18) it just feels silly. Like I can't take it seriously. I just roll my eyes at the declarations of love because quite frankly, they're young. They'll love 100 more guys and girls by the time they're 25.

Just saw the episode. Liked Riley and I can respect the fact that she was upfront with Charlie in a way that was believable for a 14 year old girl would let a guy down. Farkle...tsk tsk. Farkle was awful! "I did the right thing. I hope you can forgive me"??? Really? Uh, no. You did the selfish thing. He exhibited the same behavior I absolutely hated in Riley when she did the same thing to Maya. Lucas certainly seems confused about his feelings, and why wouldn't he? Two smart, beautiful, friendly, and unique girls like him and they were all friends first. There's probably going to be hurt feelings no matter how it ends (or at least there would be away from Disney) so I get the hesitancy.

Holy hell Farkle, butt out! It is literally none of his business if Riley wants to keep things to herself for a little longer. He had no right to blurt any of that out. Just like I thought Riley needed to stay out of it and let Maya work through her own feelings toward Lucas, he should've stayed with Smackle and minded his own business. Things are getting a tad bit too serious on the relationship front for these kids. I understand that they're young and things are confusing, but let's be real: none of these relationships would likely last past high school in the real world. Riley and Lucas barely had a boyfriend/ girlfriend situation going on, it was awkward and tentative and lacking in emotion or chemistry (in my opinion of course).
The actor who plays Lucas does come alive when he shares scenes with Maya, but they too would probably go their separate ways after graduation. Riley and Lucas are not married to each other, it's not true love or destiny or any of the things I foolishly believed about other TV couples when I was young. Cory and Topanga are the exception, definitely not the rule.

Overall, I liked the moments of levity in the episode: Smackle still thinking Lucas wants her, Charlie being like a terminator of knowledge during the Couples game, and other bits.

Not that it's a competiton, but I feel like Maya is so tentative when it comes to this situation because she doesn't think she'll really end up with Lucas, or she's naturally pessimistic, or whatever. But that's the impression I got from the episode.

• Love 1

Mmm I had to do a quick reality check just to see if I'd be thrown into a alternate universe where 14 years old actually know the meaning of love.

Nope.. Still here.

This was wayyyyyyy too serious for 14 year olds. This is the classic shipper ep where the writers are going to milk it for all it's worth and on some forums the writers are copping a serious flaming for extending this triangle beyong belief.

None of this triangle have actually been or are in any serious relationship and haven't even had any serious making out, I think 1 kiss has been exchanged somewhere? Mostly all their doing is exchanging longing looks and trying to examine feeling that they themselves haven't worked out yet. 

And what happened to C/T NY kiss? All they did was bump drink boxes.

Farkle, you douchebag, butt the bleep out, though I did expect this from Farkle... It's called emotional manipulation via threats and if somone tries that on you their no friend no matter what the proclaimed reason. Judging by the , "I hope you can forgive me," comment, Farkle knew it was wrong. It's very self centered and only serves one purpose..

That one gets their own way.

It actually doesn't have much to do with anyone else but the one trying to manipulate. Basically Farkle was manipulating Riley because HE thought it was time for her to do so and I doubt he he gave much thought for the others involved  Maya/ Lucas etc/ How it would impact them.

Obviously Riley was in no way ready to confront her feelings and should have been allowed her own time to do so..But it's the way it was written and fairly clear that this whole triangle thing is some writers wet dream which will probably extend for some time yet.

Lucas seems to be in a very awkward position if he picks one the other gets hurt so maybe his reluctance to comment is predicated on not wanting to hurt somone.

I generally hate love triangles at the best of times, there is so much more to write about that is more meaningfull for 14 year olds.

• Love 2

I haven't seen the episode yet, but this is what the kids' ages should be:

Riley has just turned 14, her birthday was established as December 8 in last year's holiday episode.

Maya is still 14, but about to turn 15 (her birthday was set after the holiday episode and after Maya's subsequent trip with Shawn and the Matthews).

Lucas is supposed to be a year old than most of the class (established earlier this year) so he is either 15 or will turn 15 some during the school year).

Smackle and the remainder of Cory's history class are presumably either 14 or will turn 14 some during the school year.

Finally, the unfortunately-absent Josh will turn 18 on Valentine's Day (his birthday was established in BMW)

I don't know how I feel about this episode at all. I sort of like that even though the show clearly wanted Lucas to be Topanga to Riley's Cory, they realized he has some if not more spark with Maya and now they are writing that. At the same time, these kids are kids and I think the last thing that needs to be happening here is a love triangle. So I'm torn. I hope there are some repurcusiions for Farkle just busting out Riley's feelings.

• Love 2

I sort of like that even though the show clearly wanted Lucas to be Topanga to Riley's Cory, they realized he has some if not more spark with Maya and now they are writing that.

The creator of the show actually spoke about Riley and Lucas vs. Cory & Topanga this past summer and basically said Rucas are not meant to be Cory and Topanga 2.0 

Michael Jacobs told us that he has thought out Riley and Lucas’ relationship and where it will lead in the future, but when we asked him for a hint of what that future would look like, he simply said, “They are not Cory and Topanga.”

Rowan then chimed in and expounded on Jacobs’ thought. “At the end of the day, there are only one Cory and Topanga. Just like there’s only one Shawn, just like there’s only one Minkus, there’s only one of all of these characters,” she explained. “I think it was organic for Cory and Topanga to end up together and have this perfect, perfect relationship but I don’t think, I don’t see-and I don’t want to speak too soon- Riley and Lucas being that perfect relationship.

So, who knows where these characters end up (or with who), but they are not necessarily meant to be a retread of Riley's parents.

Edited by grandemocha

I feel like the show is going to try and go with the Farkle's intention was good, he wanted everyone to be honest, but screw that, if you ask me. Riley was preventing everyone involved feelings from being hurt. Farkle actually hurt a whole bunch of people that didn't need to be hurt right now.

Truth be told, as I said, I'm not shipping any couple, because, hi, 14 years old, is what these kids are and the disney channel is actually going by what my 14 year old life was like unlike a lot of other tv shows where 14 year kids look like 20 years olds, but anyway, what if Lucas and Maya were a couple and Farkle just confessed Riley's feelings like he did last night? Granted, we didn't see what repercussions will happen to Farkle and there should be some as far as I am concerned.  

I can't feel the Farkle character for some reason. He's to robotic for me so I'm on the side that if I was Riley I'd tell him to not talk to me for a while. He's not like Connor on Degrassi or Smackle where they don't know how to handle human emotions. Shouldn't he know that it's Riley's choice to tell? I just can't with that kid. Charlie is another one. I don't get what the writers want me to think of him. Riley doesn't seem into him but he's really into her. He knows a lot about her at a short amount of time. Also If Riley has to be with someone why not Zay? They are both weird, let them be weird together. 

As for Maya and Lucas, I'm not sure if either likes each other for real or if they are together because Riley says it's ok (when it's not.) At the end when Maya just sat there I don't know if she's sadder that Lucas was jealous of Charlie or if she knows she's secretly hurting Riley. With Lucas he confuses me even more. If he still has feelings for Riley then he should probably tell Maya this and sort his feelings out. 

I think the only ship I ship is Riley and Maya. I think their chemistry surpasses anyones not Cory and Topanga. 

• Love 2

You would think that the writers would actually read Sense and Sensibilty before basing an episode loosely on it.  The teacher at the beginning mentions something about the two girls being torn apart.  Never happens in the book. Elinor and Marianne stay close always.  Elinor may think that Marianne is engaged when she isn't but, they really did stay close.  Also.  Riley talks about having a ball to decide who to love in the book.  The ball happened but not in that way at all.  After that I turned the episode off.  

• Love 2

I didn't have a problem with what Farkle did, because it felt natural for him to defend Riley in that way. And probably because I hate what they are doing to Maya and Riley, so any way to end this love triangle I am all for lol.

It's just weird how Maya is so casual about crushing on her best friends (barely ex) boyfriend. And I don't buy that she thought Riley loved him like a brother, I feel like that's what she was telling herself to make her own personal feelings okay. Which is fine but because it's Disney, they have to have this "reason" for making her act on those feelings.

Idk. Do kids really act this way lol? If my friends and I liked the same guy, neither of us would go for him. Why can't the show just go that route and leave it alone? By introducing Lucas as Riley's for two seasons pretty much, the writers kinda shot themselves in the foot. This triangle thing is just notttttt working.

• Love 3

I didn't have a problem with what Farkle did, because it felt natural for him to defend Riley in that way.

He's fine with defending Riley, but screw Maya's feelings pretty much? She gets a "Oh Maya doesn't know what she feels" which is a bullshit dismissal and just him disregarding her at the moment. Why are Riley's feelings so much more important to Farkle? What's the difference? I rolled my damn eyes when he blurted out that "Riley still loves Lucas". Let's get one thing straight: I sincerely doubt Riley knows the true meaning of romantic love. She's simply infatuated with Lucas, she likes him but I doubt it's love. He was her first crush, he's cute, nice, polite, and her friend. Nothing more. Has anyone actually been upfront with each other and asked how Maya or Riley or Lucas feel and what they want? At this point n their lives, I'd say both girls LIKE Lucas, definitely not LOVE.

Maya is free to have a crush on Lucas if she wants. He's not Riley's property and it's not like they dated for years. It was one date, one awkward kiss, and then they returned to being friends and appeared to be more comfortable with each other again because Riley wasn't mooning over him and putting him on a pedestal.

Acting like Maya ripped Riley's soulmate away from her and all..they're only in middle school. None of these relationships are remotely close to love. Yes, I am disregarding Riley and Lucas's half assed "relationship". Nothing and nobody stood in their way for a good 40 episodes, so why did their relationship never truly take off? Riley and Lucas broke up on their own and remained friends. Maya had nothing to do with that.

Basically, the girls have to make a choice. Either one will date Lucas and the other will stay the friend, or neither will and they'll continue on like normal. IDK how the writers will handle it, but I'm 90% sure they're going to drag this out into Season 3. We might get a Riley & Lucas kiss in the graduation episode w/ Maya acting like she's cool with it and then little hints here & there in Season 3 that she's not but she stays silent because Riley's happiness means more to her than Lucas.

I don't understand what the end goal is here. So, supposedly Maya is "hurting" Riley now by outwardly expressing her feelings toward Lucas. Should things return to the status quo with Riley and Lucas awkwardly dating again while Maya just keeps her feelings hidden? How is that not then Riley hurting Maya? Is it a "I had first dibs therefore you can never ever like him in public" situation?

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 3

He's fine with defending Riley, but screw Maya's feelings pretty much? She gets a "Oh Maya doesn't know what she feels" which is a bullshit dismissal and just him disregarding her at the moment. Why are Riley's feelings so much more important to Farkle? What's the difference? I rolled my damn eyes when he blurted out that "Riley still loves Lucas". Let's get one thing straight: I sincerely doubt Riley knows the true meaning of romantic love. She's simply infatuated with Lucas, she likes him but I doubt it's love. He was her first crush, he's cute, nice, polite, and her friend. Nothing more. Has anyone actually been upfront with each other and asked how Maya or Riley or Lucas feel and what they want? 

Maya is free to have a crush on Lucas if she wants. He's not Riley's property and it's not like they dated for years. It was one date, one awkward kiss, and then they returned to being friends and appeared to be more comfortable with each other again because Riley wasn't mooning over him and putting him on a pedestal.

Acting like Maya ripped Riley's soulmate away from her and all..they're only in middle school. None of these relationships are remotely close to love. Yes, I am disregarding Riley and Lucas's half assed "relationship". Nothing and nobody stood in their way for a good 40 episodes, so why did their relationship never truly take off? Riley and Lucas broke up on their own and remained friends. Maya had nothing to do with that.

Basically, the girls have to make a choice. Either one will date Lucas and the other will stay the friend, or neither will and they'll continue on like normal. IDK how the writers will handle it, but I'm 90% sure they're going to drag this out into Season 3. We might get a Riley & Lucas kiss in the graduation episode w/ Maya acting like she's cool with it and then little hints here & there in Season 3 that she's not but she stays silent because Riley's happiness means more to her than Lucas.

I don't understand what the end goal is here. So, supposedly Maya is "hurting" Riley now by outwardly expressing her feelings toward Lucas. Should things return to the status quo with Riley and Lucas awkwardly dating again while Maya just keeps her feelings hidden? How is that not then Riley hurting Maya? Is it a "I had first dibs therefore you can never ever like him in public" situation?

Ooo I don't want to get into this but I can't retain myself but you are right you're basically ignoring Lucas's feeling for Riley, as well as Riley's feelings for Lucas, putting more importance on Maya's feelings for Lucas and calling Lucas and Riley whatever it it was where no one dumps anything anyones head half assed meanwhile Lucas and Maya are a thing now right? what do they do that's better or non half assed than Lucas and Riley besides make you specifically happier because that's who you ship? You do realize they are just as awkward right even more so because they're not even friends anymore. They sit there and nothing, and Lucas gets jealous of other boys that are trying to get with Riley right in Maya's face and ignore Maya during this process because he's trying to one up Charlie, wonderful relationship look at all that chemistry when Maya has to ask Lucas why does he care so much when he was jealous of another guy. You know for a fans of Maya you guys really cool with Maya basically being ignored even on her own dates for Riley that she has to get his attention back from Riley, I'm not cool with at all and no one mentions it.

And maybe the difference to Maya being hurt and Riley being hurt is that we as well as farkle can clearly see that this is affecting Riley as opposed to Maya being Lucas and Riley biggest cheerleader when ti was supposedly hurting her. Forgive us for not at all noticing anything from Maya outside of Texas when she was all about Josh and all about pushing Riley and Lucas together.

But let's look at it as a whole, who's happy? Riley and Maya are not the same, and that's basically the most important part here. Their relationship has been sacrificed for a stupid triangle that has made everyone miserable. And the worst part is we're four episodes in and it's still going......out of order.

Edited by beetlesoda
  • Love 2

Wouldn't the kids still be on Xmas break from school right before New Years?

Yes, they would. That bothered me so much.

Also, it seems kind of weird that it's only New Years when other episodes have suggested it's later in the school year.  

Yes, they would. That bothered me so much.

Also, it seems kind of weird that it's only New Years when other episodes have suggested it's later in the school year.

That's what happens when Disney airs episodes out of order. I don't work in television/ the media/ Hollywood, but does anyone know why so many episodes have been aired out of order? What's the point? If the current order is what they wanted, why not film it that way in the first place and adjust dates accordingly? It just causes issues later and leads the audience to wonder if they missed a plot point or two, or why random character a, b, or c is acting ooc.

• Love 1

Two things disappointed me in this episode.  First, no Zay.  He's often my favorite part of an episode.  Second, I would have much preferred the girls to take the "who you start the new year with..." thing to heart and choose to ring in the new year together, instead of either one of them worrying about choosing to spend it with a specific guy.  It would have been truer to their friendship (and a nicer message for the viewers.) 

• Love 4

I agree with those that can't really take the whole love triangle that seriously because of the ages of these kids.  It would still be overly serious and melodramatic if the kids were 16, but at least it would make more sense.  I know BMW was melodramatic but the kids were a little older when the relationship drama started at least.  Plus as mentioned there was never any triangle that involved Cory and Shawn.  I don't know.  I know times have changed but when I was 14 most "relationships" lasted approximately one to two weeks and nobody pretended to be in love.  You passed some notes, maybe ate lunch together and that was that.  It's not life and death.

Anyway, I hope they will get off the triangle soon and focus on other things.  The show has the potential to be so much more interesting than just love triangles.  Though the love triangles are what sucks in all the fans, so I don't know that they would have all the over invested fans without it.

UGH!  I did not like this episode!  It was a big disappointment. Kids this age do have feeling but I did not like the writing for this episode.

I agree with spanana's post.This show has so much ore potential and I hope they get off this stupid triangle stuff soon.

Edited by madfortv
  • Love 2

Would it kill GMW to give Zay and Farkle a few scenes with Lucas and so he can at least voice his own feelings?

As long as the focus is solely on Riley and Maya's feelings the whole "love triangle/love square" remains frustratingly inert.

To some degree it always will, at least imo, because this is happening way too early for the characters, even Cory & Topanga didn't get super serious about their relationship until late season 3/early season 4 of BMW.

• Love 3

I do feel like it's also happening fast. When Cory and Topanga were this age, they had had that locker kiss but the relationship wasn't set in stone yet. Cory had the episode with the blonde girl who he dated-which I only remember the episode because it had the awesome scene of old age Cory and Shawn "THEY WANT YOU TO TAKE THE ROLLS!"- and I believe there were other episodes too. For some reason, this show has them going full force into making Lucas pick one or the either. Without having Lucas have any say. 

• Love 2

Where is Zay? Zay over Charlie any day. 

Zay over all of them imo!

I think the only ship I ship is Riley and Maya. I think their chemistry surpasses anyones not Cory and Topanga. 

This! Well, not so much anymore because they've all but ruined them with this triangle situation, but in the beginning this! That's another reason why I wish this show was on ABC Family instead. They might have been able to explore something there with them being gay or bi, which would be pretty amazing imo.

With how rushed and terribly written this whole thing is I really feel like the writers never actually intended to go with this triangle, but then Lucas/Maya got very popular and so they decided to pander. And I actually was shipping Lucas/Maya before, but this whole story has really turned me off of them. Well that and the fact that I just can't stand Maya/SC's acting.

Edited by peachmangosteen

I haven't shipped anyone in this series prolly  because I saw it was always about being friends and zero romance factor so far no shipping seems to be the right choice for me.

And C/T... Topanga dumped Cory for telling her he loved her somewhere in early S3 BMW. They worked it out eventually. But T made the excellent point "We're too young to know what love is."

This all seems terribly......rushed and not well thought out for a script plan.

Edited by David-

I also think there is something to be said for the very good point that this triangle is pretty much going to remain at a standstill until we are given any insight into how Lucas feels about any of it.  I know the show revolves around the Riley/Maya friendship and not Lucas, but to this point it's all very much been about how Riley and Maya feel and very little about how Lucas actually feels.  As someone else said, why can't we have a scene where we actually see Lucas talking to Farkle or Zay without either of the girls present?  Are we not allowed to have scenes without either Riley or Maya present?  I'm not any huge Lucas fan (or a fan of any of these people) and I certainly have no ship in this race, but Lucas feelings do matter here.  It's starting to remind me a little bit of how the Maya/Josh episode was treated, where everyone was so concerned with Maya and her feelings and nobody bothered to ask Josh how he felt.  Instead everyone just lectured him about Maya's feelings, despite the fact that he did nothing wrong. 

• Love 3

Okay, so there are many comments here saying the kids are too young for this kind of serious "love triangle." And in the sense that they will grow out of these feelings, and they are way too young to find "THE ONE" at this age - yes, I agree. However, they are not too young to FEEL like they have found the one. The feelings make sense to me.

I remember being 13 in 8th grade and being totally "in LOVE" with a boy, and my best friend liked him too. I never told her, not necessarily because of self-sacrifice, although that was a part of it. I also didn't think I was good enough for the guy. I felt very inferior to my friend. All of the love triangle stuff in this show resonates with how SERIOUSLY I felt about this whole thing. I truly believed I was in love, and that I could never tell my best friend, etc etc. So, yes, I think they're too young for all of this, but I don't think they're too young to feel this strongly. And to take it this seriously.

• Love 7

Totally agree that we need some Lucas perspective.  I think it really said it all when Maya asked him who he was saving the spot next to him for, and he replied that he honestly didn't know.  Girls, back off.  It's not up to the two of you to just decide who he is going to be with. 

• Love 2

Yes, but I guess my experience with middle school love is it might feel dramatic and like the end of the world for the kids who are in it at the time, the relationships themselves are generally short lived.   You don't generally circle around the same love interests for years on end.  You fall in and out of "like" rather quickly.  So I think what is unusual about the GMW situation is more the way the show treats middle school relationships as opposed to Riley and Maya themselves.  Riley has been circling about Lucas for almost two full seasons now with no other love interest in sight, or at least not one that she has any interest in.  And the Maya/Lucas bit started a bit later, but you could see it coming from the very beginning.   To me it's more that the writers are seemingly treating middle school romantic relationships on par with the way they would treat high school or even adult romantic relationships, which maybe that is what the audience loves about it so who am I to say.

Okay, so there are many comments here saying the kids are too young for this kind of serious "love triangle." And in the sense that they will grow out of these feelings, and they are way too young to find "THE ONE" at this age - yes, I agree. However, they are not too young to FEEL like they have found the one. The feelings make sense to me.

I remember being 13 in 8th grade and being totally "in LOVE" with a boy, and my best friend liked him too. I never told her, not necessarily because of self-sacrifice, although that was a part of it. I also didn't think I was good enough for the guy. I felt very inferior to my friend. All of the love triangle stuff in this show resonates with how SERIOUSLY I felt about this whole thing. I truly believed I was in love, and that I could never tell my best friend, etc etc. So, yes, I think they're too young for all of this, but I don't think they're too young to feel this strongly. And to take it this seriously.

I wonder if it feels so young to us because the actors are all still teenagers, who look young, so we think to ourselves "oh they're too young for all of this, they have to grow up a bit first", forgetting how we were at that age. Whereas in some of the 'teen' shows on other networks, you have characters in relationships - sometimes sexual - who are 15, so a year older than where the GMW girls are now, but because they're being played by women in their early 20s, it doesn't seem as weird when you're watching.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 1

That's what happens when Disney airs episodes out of order. I don't work in television/ the media/ Hollywood, but does anyone know why so many episodes have been aired out of order? What's the point? If the current order is what they wanted, why not film it that way in the first place and adjust dates accordingly? It just causes issues later and leads the audience to wonder if they missed a plot point or two, or why random character a, b, or c is acting ooc.

The only reason I could think of was scheduling conflicts with actors/actresses forcing episodes to be filmed out of order as well. Looking through examples it seems some shows it happens to cut costs because a set is used in several episodes (ergo some earlier episodes may not be finished yet I guess). Rating reasons, e.g. putting episodes expected to do well up during sweeps. Think there was another but forget =/. 

As for GMW and Disney, no idea other then maybe scheduling. Doesn't seem like sweeps is considered (possibly due to lack of advertising) since they did things like air Fish during Sweeps. Suppose Disney was hampered towards the end with the Texas 3 parter while November had 2 scheduled spots and December just the 1 (not sure how far in advance that was decided). Some of the switching looks to make sense though. Money was supposed to slot in between Texas part 2 and Texas part 3 (Why?!), Bay Window would go after Texas, even though the New Year seemed to be more fitting. And New Year was supposed to be before Legacy, which makes a bit of sense but from the little plot detail of Bay Window, Texas pt 3, New Year, Legacy makes more sense *shrugs*

Blame too much caffeine for getting way off track haha, but yeah the only things  I can think to do it out of order is someone wasn't available or they really couldn't fit Texas in any later in the season and thus had to fill to get to New Year. 

I feel like if this was on ABCFam like BMW was..

Have to comment on this because every time I see it, it makes me feel incredibly old. ABC! The show was on ABC! TGIF lineup for seven years! It predates the entire ABC Family network. Whoo. I'm better now.

Timeline bugged me. Who goes to school between Christmas and New Year's? Don't care about the love triangle. At least with Cory and Topanga they were established as being a very weird couple in their relationship and they were (almost) never in love triangles. Liked seeing Smackle again, wish we could've seen Joshua or Zay, Farkle's hair keeps getting better, Yogi and the Extras mass exodus was funny, and now I want to read Sense and Sensibility

• Love 4