Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Last Chance Kitchen

Bella
  • Start Topic

It's amazing how demeanor can so dramatically change someone's attractiveness.  Now that Jason is more relaxed, happy, and feels accomplished, he is actually pretty handsome.  I would not have said so previously.

But what I really came on here to say is a pet peeve I have with LCK.  Why, oh, why don't they towel off the chefs faces/head!?!  i know they are sweating while cooking, but obviously there is a pause in filming while they position everyone for the eating/judging segments.  Towel them off!! It's too revolting to see sweat running down faces on a food show.

• Love 2

Thank all of the deities I am aware of the increasingly relaxed and likable Jason put a stake through the torso the unimaginably deluded Phillip. Thankfully it was obvious from the look on Tom's face the moment that delusional millennial entered the room. Bye Man Bun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1

I straight up don't remember when production (offering up not a failed dish but a basic personality flaw with the challenge/cutting to Gayle contradicting no one telling him his dish sucked), all of the eliminated contestants and Tom were all aligned in dislike! It was beautiful!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Warning to anyone going to Phillip's lone remaining restaurant: you will be subjected to his story of how he lost Top Chef due to cutting himself and Tom not understanding his dish. Which will forever be the nightly special on his menu, just so he can prove to you how perfect it is.

• Love 14

Warning to anyone going to Phillip's lone remaining restaurant: you will be subjected to his story of how he lost Top Chef due to cutting himself and Tom not understanding his dish. Which will forever be the nightly special on his menu, just so he can prove to you how perfect it is.

This alone might be reason to go!  i wonder if he serves food on dirty rocks after a complimentary cocktail I don't want and a strawberry salad with super thick dressing.  That sneaky Tom!

• Love 3

Judge me all you want but I am a Phillip Phan (that's what we call ourselves, I'm coining it now) until the end. I'm sorry he lost LCK because of those dumb sharp knives. He was robbed and probably distracted by Jason's hideous lederhosen socks! But I hope he'll stick around to sous for the finale. Who are we kidding, this famewhore will absolutely be there until the end. I can't wait to see which sucker gets stuck with him but I hope it's Marjorie.

Oh Phillip! He's the kind of guy I would bring home at Thanksgiving, so that my family would never bug me about bringing someone home again.

• Love 16

Judge me all you want but I am a Phillip Phan (that's what we call ourselves, I'm coining it now) until the end. I'm sorry he lost LCK because of those dumb sharp knives. He was robbed and probably distracted by Jason's hideous lederhosen socks! But I hope he'll stick around to sous for the finale. Who are we kidding, this famewhore will absolutely be there until the end. I can't wait to see which sucker gets stuck with him but I hope it's Marjorie.

Oh Phillip! He's the kind of guy I would bring home at Thanksgiving, so that my family would never bug me about bringing someone home again.

A treasure like ManBun only comes around every once in a while, so if you're going to use him to get your family to leave you alone go all out.  Make sure he proposes at the dinner table and your family will have learned their lesson.

The fact that they even let anyone else compete in Top Chef and didn't just hand it to ManBun is a travesty.  He was cooking flawless food the entire time!

• Love 3

Make sure he proposes at the dinner table and your family will have learned their lesson.

He would never propose. He might talk about it a lot and try to correct other people's shoddy proposals but he has a more rustic, yet refined, view of marriage which he is more than happy to share.

Edited by rho
  • Love 13

He would never propose. He might talk about it a lot and try to correct other people's shoddy proposals but he has a more rustic, yet refined, view of marriage which he is more than happy to share.

well, are you a model/actress/pastry chef/ballerina/astronaut/UN ambassador/pilot/police officer/firefighter/hypnotherapist?  Because he has proposed before, you just have to be awesome enough to deserve him.

• Love 7

snip

ROFL, thank you! I love starting the day with a giggle.

• Love 3

Y'all are great with your Manbun comments!!! I'm roflmao! :)
Finally, there is someone I dislike more than Lauren Von Der Pol (she was on Chopped twice, I believe). Still gotta say I prefer Phillip over the almost forgotten (and very disgusting,imo) Chef Lenny, winner of Food Network Star a season or two ago.
I wonder if we'll see Phillip any more this season.

• Love 6

Janimo, will you please accept this rose served on a dirty rock with a bottle of orange juice pulled out from under the front desk and served with a soupcon of bloody finger?

ETA: Over-under on when Phillip ends up on NFNS?

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 4

A friend from work was there a few weeks ago with her actor husband and other actors, and Phillip came out and talked about how he got a weird edit that totally distorted his actual personality.  It was all the editing monkeys, people, not the food or the delusions.  The editing!

• Love 16

This alone might be reason to go!  i wonder if he serves food on dirty rocks after a complimentary cocktail I don't want and a strawberry salad with super thick dressing.  That sneaky Tom!

I saw Phillip on a Chopped episode in the past week, and in the intros they showed him in his restaurant with food on a slab of rock!

• Love 3

I've never once watched an episode before, but the idea of him trying to cut his finger off and then losing too? Yep, I watched this one. I love the other chefs all sitting there harassing them. I'm going to just go with they are usually really, real supportive of both cooking, but this time the hate for ManBun pushed them to the dark side. Tom looked confused and grossed out by Phillip's dish, as he should have. It looked like baby poop on a plate. 

• Love 2

Judge me all you want but I am a Phillip Phan (that's what we call ourselves,

Hey, what a great idea for a tattoo you could bare and explain to strangers (captive audiences work best)!

Your whole post made me giggle.   And while I wouldn't get a tattoo at gunpoint, I actually do like to hear about people's tattoos, if I compliment/ask about them.  

I started out this season liking Phillip based upon seeing him on three different FN shows in which he was pleasant and gave no offense.  As Top Chef went on, I liked him less and less and it occurred to me that the reason I didn't see any of his immature behaviors before Top Chef was because he won the other competitions so he didn't have to handle being told he wasn't the very best, maybe for the first time in his short life.  By the end of LCK, I was happy to see him lose and I don't even like Jason.  

• Love 2

Did my ears deceive me or are the castaways calling Jason "Bambi"? Why?

You did. It's apparently his nickname as his twitter handle that predates TC is bambichronicles and he used to have a blog of the same name.

• Love 1

I'm assuming the fix was in to have Phillip eliminated.  Why else did they give him such an advantage for the cook off?  I could understand if one chef chose the protein and the other chose the time, but allowing him to pick both?  That was completely unfair to Jason.

I don't know if it was so much that the fix was in as that Colicchio just really wanted to take his excuses away. Not only did Phillip get to choose a protein that his restaurant specializes in, at least according to his Yelp reviews, he got to say how much time he needed. And, he cut his finger. And, he needed a medic to put on his bandaid. And someone hid his box of gloves. And he meant to serve a lumpy puree. And he called it a puree but it wasn't really a puree, it was a something else with yogurt in it that's supposed to be lumpy.

All of them unforced errors. I don't see how the intent of the challenge might have changed the outcome.

• Love 1

I'm assuming the fix was in to have Phillip eliminated.  Why else did they give him such an advantage for the cook off?  I could understand if one chef chose the protein and the other chose the time, but allowing him to pick both?  That was completely unfair to Jason.

I think that they wanted to prove just how delusional Phillip actually was. He was allowed to choose his challenge and still failed. 

• Love 8

The challenge is always focused on the Chef who just got eliminated usually it's just the last challenge but since that's hard to do how this RW was structured, so since he has been complaining about the judges not letting him be him and blames others all season long they limited those options. Luckily, phillip will always find new excuses.

• Love 3

gotta admit, phillip is the most consistent one in the competition,lol.....and i'm not talking about his cooking....well, maybe that too cause the judges seem to consistently not like his food.  his one win was a technicality...he was the only one who had a bone on his food.....big woop.

Jason does it again for win number 4.
I'm really starting to like the guy, and I didn't care for him so much in the regular competition. Go figure. He seems much more confident and much more likable,.

• Love 2

gotta admit, phillip is the most consistent one in the competition,lol.....and i'm not talking about his cooking....well, maybe that too cause the judges seem to consistently not like his food.  his one win was a technicality...he was the only one who had a bone on his food.....big woop.

Ugh . . . Manbun. . . go away! If you haven't watched LCK yet, be warned, they cut to the loser gallery and you see Manbun demonstrating what looks like a chopping technique to another chef, because of course he is an expert on what the competitors are doing, even though he is SITTING IN THE LOSER GALLERY. 

I was never so happy to see a chef pack his knives. He's such a cocky arrogant little shit. I despise him almost as much as Marcel, and that's saying something. 

I never had feels either way for Karen until tonight -- she was genuinely kind to all the other chefs and they all seem like they really liked her as a person. Her attitude was refreshing. . . 

Sit down and STFU Manbun.

Oh yeah, and well done Drag Chef. . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 5

Oh yeah, and well done Drag Chef. . .

It really is astounding that being eliminated from the main competition has liberated Jason. He was so sour and unhappy until then. In LCK he is relaxed, inventive and just a bit fun. You can tell the other permanently eliminated chefs are rooting for him to triumph every week, unlike before when he was odd man out. It almost seems his feeling free to unleash his "inner drag queen" to his fellow competitors has also allowed him to show us both his likability and his skills. 

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 8

Karen just cannot get away from Chinese food!   I have only been to Benihana twice.  That was to have entertainment so we wouldn't have to carry on a long conversation (strained) with our dinner guests (work related).   As far as my experience fried rice is not a Japanese dish.  Maybe they do have it but we had shrimp and beef, maybe there was a vegetable.  No eggs either.  

I went to their site and it is either a lousy site or my computer is skewed (probably).  I could not get beyond their Saki choices.  

Never would have guessed Jason had a drag persona.  He does seem to be opening up a bit and clearly well liked by all, but still very restrained.  I really wanted Karen to win but knew she wouldn't once she got started on the grill. Her dish was messy and not appealing.  Just do the lobster, asparagus and mushrooms!   

Edited by wings707

awww, although i'm jason won, i felt bad for karen.......

jason,....u are one ugly drag queen, lol.

kind of  a no brainer who would win.  as soon as jason said wagyu beef and will cook second....done and done.  hard to fuck up beef that is so so good to begin with.

Karen just cannot get away from Chinese food! I have only been to Benihana twice. That was to have entertainment so we wouldn't have to carry on a long conversation (strained) with our dinner guests (work related). As far as my experience fried rice is not a Japanese dish. Maybe they do have it but we had shrimp and beef, maybe there was a vegetable. No eggs either.

Teppanyaki fried rice is most definitely a thing. Since you mentioned Benihana their chicken fried rice is one of their signature dishes. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Teppanyaki fried rice is most definitely a thing. Since you mentioned Benihana their chicken fried rice is one of their signature dishes.

Thanks, so Karen was not that far off then.  I was not impressed with Benihana.  I thought is was kind of dumb and had a theme park vibe.  Since I only went twice I should not judge on such limited exposure.  Japanese equals sushi to me and I always go for that.  I recently moved from south FL to Phoenix and we have an excellent Sushi restaurant 3 minutes away.  How good is that!  One of the best aspects of moving here.  I am an east cost person and miss it terribly but the Squidinator (name of a roll) helps!  I dream about it  

Edited by wings707

Thanks, so Karen was not that far off then.  I was not impressed with Benihana.  I thought is was kind of dumb and had a theme park vibe.  Since I only went twice I should not judge on such limited exposure.  Japanese equals sushi to me and I always go for that.  I recently moved from south FL to Phoenix and we have an excellent Sushi restaurant 3 minutes away.  How good is that!  One of the best aspects of moving here.  I am an east cost person and miss it terribly but the Squidinator (name of a roll) helps!  I dream about it  

But remember, when Benihana started, there wasn't even PF Chang, and even the much more well-known chinese food was stil at the pupu platter and chop suey stage in most of the country. It took some showmanship for them to be able to sell japanese food to America, where the only thing most people knew about Japan was that we fought a war with them, they were making better cars than we were, and someone from there was real unpopular with Beatles fans. It's a little dated now, but Rocky Aoki was a smart man.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 8

I wonder what Tom C would have thought if one of them had made, say, okonomiyaki for him. Would he have even known of this dish, and would he have judged it "Japanese" enough, according to his notions of "Japanese Food"?

• Love 2

It really is astounding that being eliminated from the main competition has liberated Jason. He was so sour and unhappy until then. In LCK he is relaxed, inventive and just a bit fun. You can tell the other permanently eliminated chefs are rooting for him to triumph every week, unlike before when he was odd man out. It almost seems his feeling free to unleash his "inner drag queen" to his fellow competitors has also allowed him to show us both his likability and his skills. 

I just came here to say that it is amazing how different all of the chefs are including Tom!  They truly seem to be enjoying themselves and each other. 

• Love 2

I wonder what Tom C would have thought if one of them had made, say, okonomiyaki for him. Would he have even known of this dish, and would he have judged it "Japanese" enough, according to his notions of "Japanese Food"?

Pretty certain he has had it before but it wasn't the challenge which was performance Teppanyaki.

The challenge is always focused on the Chef who just got eliminated usually it's just the last challenge but since that's hard to do how this RW was structured, so since he has been complaining about the judges not letting him be him and blames others all season long they limited those options. Luckily, phillip will always find new excuses.

I love that Tom said of Phillip's dish to "keep working on it. There's a dish in there." Not a good dish, but a dish. Keep practicing and you might make something that is adequate. His dishes are so bad that it makes me wonder if he some undiagnosed sensory issue like diminished sense of taste or smell.

Curious as to why a teppanyaki challenge was NOT sponsored by the teriyaki sauce from previous LCK. ;)

Pretty certain he has had it before but it wasn't the challenge which was performance Teppanyaki.

I thought the challenge was to cook good food on teppanyaki table?  Okonomiyaki is normally cooked on a flat top, although it is most likely not offered at BeniHana like establishments.

• Love 1

The continuing transformation of Jason continues to impress. Where was THIS guy before the original Jason was axed? Not only is he cooking his ass off, he is relaxed as hell (plus extra credit for silly socks, shoes and prance to the pantry). Plus his dynamic with the other chefs has done a 180. The other eliminated chefs were all working really hard to disguise their bias for him tonight (and last week, but Phillip....), in the main event they all seemed to be working just as hard to tolerate him.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 3

I thought this challenge was pretty stupid. Neither of them did any "flair" while cooking. They should have been given time to practice some showmanship things without any knowledge of the foods they would use. I wanted Karen to win. I have been to Bennihana. The worst food for $90 ever. Did not enjoy it at all. Rice was dry and I did not like being forced to be at a table with other people and have to talk to them. Hated it. 

• Love 3

I want to eat what Jason made!  I knew the minute Tom tasted it that he had won.  Tom could not hide his delight.  

Jason has turned out to be quite the surprise!  Two more wins and he is back in the game.  

• Love 2