Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: The Cowboy In The Contest/S11.E10: The Doom In The Boom

WendyCR72

Looks like two hours of Bones next week for the fall hiatus and a good while, considering its spring return has still not been scheduled (and with the lawsuit, who knows when that will be!).

"The Cowboy In The Contest" synopsis:

To solve a murder, Brennan and Booth go undercover at an Old West-style shooting competition, while Angela and Hodgins discuss the future of their family and Cam gets close with photographer Sebastian Kohl.

"The Doom In The Boom" synopsis:

The team investigates the murder of a police officer that sends shockwaves through both the Jeffersonian and FBI teams. Behavioral analyst Leslie Green is assigned to work with Booth on the investigation and lends her professional assessments on who the cop killer could be, while Cam must make some decisions in her personal life and the entire team re-evaluates what is truly important to them.

Those were two of the better episodes this show has had in a long time.

The Cowboy may even be the best in the last three or four seasons. It was fun, as most of their undercover episodes are. The case was secondary, but not bad. Angela teasing about the babies was adorable.

Doom was better than I expected. The opening scene with Bones, Booth, and Angela was so light hearted and natural. In other words, something the show rarely has any more. I'm relieved they didn't kill Hodgins. Once he and Angela started having the baby talk during the first episode I knew something bad was coming.

Everything with Cam's love life could disappear and I'd be happy. And new profiler lady / love interest holds no interest for me.

• Love 2

I have to watch the first part of 'the Cowboy in the Contest' on On Demand, but it was pretty good. 'The Doom in the Boom' was good too... but damn...

I felt so sorry for Angela and Hodgins at the end of it. That he was paralyzed from the accident is so tragic. I hope things turn out ok for them.

When Hodgins was laying on the floor not moving with his eyes open, I said aloud to the TV, "He looks dead to me!"

Yes! I thought he was dead, to be honest. So as bad as his prognosis was, I don't understand why he wasn't talking since the paralysis was said to be from his waist down, not the neck.

(If it was the neck, he'd likely need a machine to breathe and speak, a la the late Christopher Reeve, which would have just been too maudlin.)

So why wasn't he screaming himself in terror?

• Love 1

Two of the better episodes in a while.  I enjoyed the chemistry with Booth and Brennan in the first one...reminds me of when they had some banter and didn't just annoy each other all the time.  Doom was sad, but I always think this show does drama better than comedy.

However, I AM SO SICK OF CAM's love life.  One, NO ONE CARES and two, her hair is just awful.  It's tolerable in a pony tail but when she wears it long with those kitchen scissor bangs I want to scream. She's attractive but her hair is not good. Not good at all people.    Also, Arastoo makes me vomit.

• Love 2

The minute I saw Arastoo walk up I shouted at the TV.  "Nooo not again".  I was so happy when he left and we didn't have to suffer with the Cam & Arastoo relationship.  Please don't make us revisit that.

Wasn't Aubrey seeing one of the squints? Did that end? 

I don't think so since they mentioned in passing that she had visited him at the hospital twice. I would say this was her week to film Big Bang Theory but she wasn't on a recent episode there either. 

Wasn't Arastoo the one who broke it off? Who went from introducing her to his parents, living together, practically engaged? Then he suddenly sprints for the door so fast he left skid marks. Now he's back? Why? Cam should show him the door....again.

Wonder which way they'll take Hodgins injury, miraculous recovery or him using his nerd brain to cure himself. 

• Love 1

I feel like that sort of injury shouldn't result in permanent paralysis, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he recovered, but they might want to go the route of Delilah on NCIS. Of course, it's not like Delilah is a main character the way Hodgins is.

I really enjoyed the cowboy episode. I thought both Booth and Bones looked fantastic in their cowboy/cowgirl get ups and there was a lot of fun stuff, shooting competition preceded by cowboy trash talk, and horses, and Aubrey showing up in his ridiculous poncho and hat.

Not so much the second episode. First off, I thought they were going to kill off Aubrey. Glad not. I hated Arastoo coming back. I don't want any time spent on Cam's love life. I thought it was very disturbing those kids were the killers. My red flag went up when Hodgins mentioned all he needed was aspirin. Never take aspirin if there is any bleeding! Then I forgot about it until . . .   I'm not thrilled about the paralysis storyline, with the wheelchair looming outside his room. Good grief.

Edited by Beezella
  • Love 2

I hated both of them. I hate that this Hodges thing is going to be a melodramatic mess.  I'm just tired of Something Bad having to happen to the lab people All The Time. Being shot. Being a killer. Kidnapped. Stalked. I don't watch the show for realism but it's getting beyond believable. I mean, having an accident that permanently injures you is not unbelievable, but when you think about all the other things that have happened to and around Hodges, it's a statistical oddity at the very least.

• Love 3

SO SICK OF CAM's love life.  One, NO ONE CARES and two, her hair is just awful.  It's tolerable in a pony tail but when she wears it long with those kitchen scissor bangs I want to scream. She's attractive but her hair is not good. Not good at all people.

I thought it looked better than last season, but was I the only one who thought it looked like she was wearing a wig to bed?
  • Love 1

Well, we haven't had a good Angela is a "free spirit" story line lately, so they can burn at least part of an episode having Hodgins fret that she's going to dump him because he can't meet her sexual needs.

Edited by Julia

Finally watched. I cried when Sweets died. I felt nothing for Aubrey's near death and , tho' I actually like Hodgins, couldn't get worked up over his paralysis either. Don't know if it was the writing, acting, directing or the fact that I am no longer enough invested in the characters. I know that I am sick of show runners' manipulation.

• Love 1

Finally watched. I cried when Sweets died. I felt nothing for Aubrey's near death and , tho' I actually like Hodgins, couldn't get worked up over his paralysis either. Don't know if it was the writing, acting, directing or the fact that I am no longer enough invested in the characters. I know that I am sick of show runners' manipulation.

I didn't react with Aubrey, but I was angry when Hodgins was paralyzed. I didn't feel like it was show runner manipulation, at least by comparison to some other shows out there right now.

So this is probably going to make me sound really stupid, but can someone explain how taking aspirin paralyzed Hodgins because I did not know that was a thing that could happen and I'm super confused. 

The paralysis was caused due to bleeding in his spine compressing the cord. Aspirin can increase the risk of bleeding due to its antiplatelet effects, therefore might have contributed to this happening, or worsened the severity of it.

• Love 3

It is possible, so long as there isn't damage to the spinal cord itself. It is possible that the hematoma and/or fall caused physical damage to the spinal cord. Really, it could go either way, but I'm doubtful that they will make Hodgins permanently paralyzed. Probably just long enough to cause a lot of conflict and tension between him and Angela.

• Love 1

I just wish that Aubrey would cease twitching, jerking, and bobbing as he talks.

Why are D. B.'s mannerisms(facial/hunching/slouching) so stiff and seemingly elderly? And, he's so curmudgeonly.

Cam deserves a partner like everyone else...However, the awkwardness of her romance scenes are cringeworthy.

Why do the 'powers that be' salivate over the character of Aristoo and force him upon us simple folk? Why?

I hope that the Bones series replacement(because THIS SHOW has had it) is well written, well acted, well directed, and well stylized. Ah, it's wonderful to dream.

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 1

I thought the promo for The Cowboy In The Contest looked great so I was lured into watching... and I'm glad I was. I don't think I could make a single criticism of it. Okay, the case was a little weak but that's fine; it wasn't stupid or ridiculous, and structurally you probably want a weaker case on a more lighthearted episode. And I loved seeing Booth and Brennan lighthearted after they spent two years spinning off of wrongful imprisonment, conspiracy, death of friend, gambling slip, crisis of faith, presumed death, dead brother, and whatever else.

Brennan looked so pretty walking into the saloon. And there was  sparkiness and desire when Booth noticed her, which was nice. And since I've picked on David Boreanaz periodically for looking disinterested... I thought he was perfect with Booth feeling jealous and recognizing that that was needless (with no dialog) before Booth asked Brennan what she was doing. And I liked Brennan getting competitive about the shooting and baiting Booth into competing for real even though that basically blew his cover (again, just as well that the case was an uncomplicated one). Then there were Brennan's little smiles every time Booth shot, and her assurances to the "sheriff" that he was not cheating, he's just that good. Booth's shooting has always turned her on. Cute that it still does. Oh, and they got to dance, which was also cute. Especially him coming up behind her and bowing to her. And the kiss before they were so rudely interrupted.

"Why else do you want a motorcycle?"

"Why do birds fly, Bones? Because it's cool."

"That's not why birds fly."

Hee!

I'm glad that Aubrey got to ride a horse and eat barbecue after all. Most of the time I find the "quirks" the show gives its more recent characters grating, but the Aubrey/food one amuses me. It probably helps that he has a personality outside the quirk.

Speaking of grating... Daisy wasn't. For the first time ever. She was fine. Sweets being long dead looks good on her. I just hope the kid doesn't grow up to spend his life creepily manipulating Christine and Michael Vincent.

Hodgins' reason for not wanting another baby right now was about the most subtle, most realistic reason for that kind of choice I have ever seen expressed on a television show. Of course, anyone who has ever consumed fiction of any kind knew as soon as he said it that .... (a) Something tragic would happen to prevent him from having that second kid (b) Something melodramatic would happen and change his mind or ( c ) Both.

The Doom In The Boom wasn't  as good, but it wasn't bad. The episodes worked pretty well together; the first one was light, the second one was angsty, and the Hodgins/Angela/baby situation was a decent tether between them.

For starters, Caroline was there. All things are improved when Caroline shows up. So much the better if she also brings the commentary on how Aubrey just painted a big bright target smack in the center of his puffed-up chest. And outs Booth as having wanted to do the exact same thing when Booth tries to scold Aubrey. While Brennan is so very not here for that strategy.

Ever since Brennan made the mistake of translating puttanesca, Booth calls it whore's sauce constantly every time she makes it. Because of course he does. Double date night with Booth/Brennan/Hodgins/Angela while they let subordinates handle the murders for a minute is exactly where they should be at this time in their lives. Yay.

The mandatory scenes where Hodgins thanks Aubrey for saving his life and tells Angela he's ready for the second baby after all were very good.

The worst was the return of Arastoo. I like Cam. Cam deserves a romance. Cam's major romance should never have been someone she had the authority to promote into a high-powered position. I did like that Brennan volunteered to help him find work, since once upon a time she said she wouldn't save Bray's scholarship because she didn't believe in caring about interns post-Zack. (Obviously she came through then too... but in the case I honestly wouldn't blame her for holding a grudge about the misidentification of Jared's bones. So good for her.)

Well... the real worst is that the show went for the Hodgins paralysis manipulation. Too soapy.

At least they didn't kill anyone. I actively like Aubrey quite a lot. I was happy to see him doing the hero thing to protect Hodgins, channeling Booth in the hopes of cracking the case, and shoveling food into his mouth. But if he had died, my reaction would have been an eyeroll. This show has historically been so very hard on its younger male secondary/tertiary characters that any shock value has worn off.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 2

Speaking of grating... Daisy wasn't. For the first time ever. She was fine. Sweets being long dead looks good on her. I just hope the kid doesn't grow up to spend his life creepily manipulating Christine and Michael Vincent.

*snort*

Ever since Brennan made the mistake of translating puttanesca, Booth calls it whore's sauce constantly every time she makes it. Because of course he does.

She should switch to amatriciana and not tell him what it means :)

The worst was the return of Arastoo. I like Cam. Cam deserves a romance. Cam's major romance should never have been someone she had the authority to promote into a high-powered position. I did like that Brennan volunteered to help him find work, since once upon a time she said she wouldn't save Bray's scholarship because she didn't believe in caring about interns post-Zack. (Obviously she came through then too... but in the case I honestly wouldn't blame her for holding a grudge about the misidentification of Jared's bones. So good for her.)

I don't mind the actor who plays Arastoo, and I like the idea of him - it's good to have a serious, professional, ethical observant muslim in a part which puts focus on his professional life and not his religion - but I really wish they had kept him out of the relationship with Cam.

JMO, male characters on this show either become ineffectual to the point of passivity (generally if they get involved with Angela and her magical morphing ironclad personal requirements) or become cavemen when they get involved with women. Arastoo-with-Cam is a really unpleasant relationship to watch. She's his professional superior, and she has a fair amount more age and experience than he does, and he doesn't seem to be able to grasp that it's possible for her to disagree with him and be right.

• Love 1

Brennan looked so pretty walking into the saloon.

Everytime! They have discovered the next show for Emily: A situation comedy modern western.

Hodgins' reason for not wanting another baby right now was about the most subtle, most realistic reason for that kind of choice I have ever seen expressed on a television show. Of course, anyone who has ever consumed fiction of any kind knew as soon as he said it that .... (a) Something tragic would happen to prevent him from having that second kid (b) Something melodramatic would happen and change his mind or ( c ) Both.

C.

Did the writers sit around and say to themselves: Hey. Who're they kidding? This show is running on fumes. What can we write to make them see that?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Everytime! They have discovered the next show for Emily: A situation comedy modern western.

C.

Did the writers sit around and say to themselves: Hey. Who're they kidding? This show is running on fumes. What can we write to make them see that?

I'd say that's more Castle than Bones right now. I'm not a huge fan of the Hodgins paralyzed story line, but at least it creates some drama that doesn't completely feel unnatural, where on the other show... they're not going in that direction.

I'm glad that Aubrey got to ride a horse and eat barbecue after all. Most of the time I find the "quirks" the show gives its more recent characters grating, but the Aubrey/food one amuses me. It probably helps that he has a personality outside the quirk.

'I have to admit it.  I'm wearing a poncho.'  I really like Aubrey.  I would cook him dinner now and then.

• Love 1

Ever since Brennan made the mistake of translating puttanesca, Booth calls it whore's sauce constantly every time she makes it. Because of course he does.

<small voice> So do I. It amuses me.

I like Cam, and for the most part I liked the Cam - Arastoo relationship. But I did not like his return, and hope Cam rejects him. The reasons he left were reasonable, and none of the rationale has changed. Plus, the photographer is way hotter (imo) and outside the circle.

I expected Hodgin's collapse well before it happened - and I agree that he sure looked dead. Weird choice if they weren't going to kill him off.

I always like seeing Sara Rue, but I wish shows would stop using the ditzy, fluttery, disorganized bit as "personality" for professional women. It makes it difficult to take their expertise seriously, both as a viewer and from the fictional counterparts standpoint. And as a professional woman it pissed me off.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

If I were going to be cynical, I would say that the writers/directors had Hodgins lie completely still and silent to get the audience to panic and think he was dead, nothing more than that.

However, in this season of peace and joy, I will assume that it was an interesting exploration of a character who tends to be effusive in all things. When something unpleasant happens to Hodgins, we usually see him vibrating with anger, making pissy snarky remarks, or occasionally in tears. He doesn't tend toward shutting up and sitting/lying still. So this new development is bringing out a part of his personality that the people around him won't quite be prepared to handle.

That said... I still can't think of any version of this story that I'd like to see. I do not want to watch Hodgins worrying about Angela cheating or Angela doing a retread of her six months of celibacy storyline. I also don't want to watch Angela being perfectly supportive and patient against the backdrop of Hodgins' perpetual unhappiness because that's essentially the story that this show's A-couple just had for two years. But if they're both on their best behavior, there's no internal conflict.

I'll just hope the writers are more creative than I am. 

• Love 4