Type keyword(s) to search

Lost Without Their Blogger: Sherlock in the Media

(edited)

All the goodies about the show generally.

A little something to open with: Sherlock Q&A--Mark Gatiss in Brazil, BBC:

Video posted by BBCWorldwide

Edited by rereader2

The Critics' Choice Awards nominations came out today. (Given by the U.S. The Broadcast Television Journalists Association.) "His Last Vow" received a nomination for Best Movie. Benedict received a nod for lead actor in a movie/miniseries; Martin was nominated as supporting actor in a movie/miniseries; and Amanda Abbington was nominated as best supporting actress in a movie/miniseries.

In addition, Martin received a nomination as best lead actor in a movie/miniseries for Fargo.

Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss will be competing themselves as producers in the Best Movie category, as not only is "His Last Vow" nominated but also the Doctor Who creation drama An Adventure in Space and Time, written by Gatiss. Adventure's David Bradley will also be competing against Benedict and Martin (plus Billy Bob Thornton, Mark Ruffalo, and Chiwetel Ejiofor) in the lead actor in a movie/miniseries category, and Jessica Raine will be competing against Amanda (plus Kathy Bates, Ellen Burstyn, Allison Tolman and Julia Roberts) in the supporting actress category).

• Love 5

I think he may have meant they're closer to agreeing filming dates @BizBuzz, as I know that they were having difficulty getting everyone's schedules to coincide? Sorry if I rained on your parade, I could be wrong though?!

Big woot! for the Wolf Hall shout out - looking forward to that, love a good period drama.

• Love 1

SS, I noticed that I had a typo and that changed the entire meaning of what I posted.  I was attempting to be sarcastic, and it didn't come across that way.  Ugh.

• Love 1

Well, if we break down Benedict's schedule: this summer he'll be filming the Whitey Bulger film in Boston. Sometime between September and January The Hollow Crown/Richard III is scheduled to shoot. Around that time, he'll also be promoting the releases of The Imitation Game, The Penguins of Madagascar and The Hobbit. Then Lost City of Z is scheduled to start in January 2015 and will probably be a lengthy shoot. Sometime between all that, he might squeeze in the Iraq War drama Yellow Birds. Then late summer he'll start prep for Hamlet and do that for three months in fall 2015.

Depending heavily on The Lost City of Z and Yellow Birds, it looks like next spring will probably be the first opportunity to film S4. Unless things go extremely well and Hollow Crown shoots very quickly, I suppose they might be able to squeeze it in this winter, but I doubt it. 

• Love 2

Well, if we break down Benedict's schedule: this summer he'll be filming the Whitey Bulger film in Boston. Sometime between September and January The Hollow Crown/Richard III is scheduled to shoot. Around that time, he'll also be promoting the releases of The Imitation Game, The Penguins of Madagascar and The Hobbit. Then Lost City of Z is scheduled to start in January 2015 and will probably be a lengthy shoot. Sometime between all that, he might squeeze in the Iraq War drama Yellow Birds. Then late summer he'll start prep for Hamlet and do that for three months in fall 2015.

Depending heavily on The Lost City of Z and Yellow Birds, it looks like next spring will probably be the first opportunity to film S4. Unless things go extremely well and Hollow Crown shoots very quickly, I suppose they might be able to squeeze it in this winter, but I doubt it. 

When does this man SLEEP???

• Love 2

There are a bunch of articles this weekend, all quoting Martin Freeman as saying there will be a Christmas Special...but we've already heard Gatiss deny this absolutely, so take it as you will. (Examples: The Daily Mail; The Telegraph.)

This isn't really inconsistent.  Gatiss has said that there absolutely will not be a Christmas 2014 special, and Freeman was talking about a Christmas 2015 special.  What's more interesting is that Freeman said that there is unlikely to be another full series 4 when Moffat and Gatiss have never really wavered on their desire to do one.  I wonder if Freeman is losing interest or just posturing for a salary increase.

Sigh.  This is a very hard show to be an obsessive fan of.

(edited)

Yeah, EVERYONE else connected with the series has been very firm that there will be more full seasons--with "full" meaning three eps. I don't know what Freeman is up to, but I'm sure we'll be hearing from Mofftiss as soon as reporters have a chance to talk to them.

(If I were Freeman, I wouldn't be so quick to take myself off the table, if indeed he every did, because now that Watson isn't living at 221B, they could do a few episodes without him, or with very little of him. There were, after all, at least two stories in the ACD canon narrated by Holmes that did not have Watson in them.)

ETA: Come to think of it, it wouldn't be the first Sherlock Holmes series to switch the actor playing Watson mid-series.

Edited by rereader2

Well, I think Freeman has a lot more leverage than Watsons of days past.  The principal reason that I watch the show (and the reason that a lot of the people in the online circles I frequent watch the show, and the reason for praise in a lot of published reviews about the show) is the relationship between Sherlock and John (and the chemistry between Cumberbatch and Freeman specifically), especially in light of everything that went on with Sherlock vis-a-vis John in season 3. 

His comment has got to be a salary ploy.  Season 3 was hugely popular in England.  He must just want to signal that a full season 4 needs to be made worth his while.  Not that I think he's eager to do another season right away, as he seems to like to be able to do a variety of projects, but he's got to know that making a comment like "season 4 unlikely" is going to get him media attention for it.  (Insert eyeroll here.)

(edited)

From the interviews I've seen by Martin Freeman, well, they don't translate well into print.  He has a very dry sense of humour and it is almost always "on".  I believe it is just as likely that comment is strictly about the difficulty of trying to co-ordinate schedules.  I've gotten the impression that all the leads love doing Sherlock, but as working actors their bread and butter is proving they are capable of acting a variety of characters.  I'd put posturing to get a salary increase as very low on the possible interpretations of what he meant. 

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 4
(edited)

Fair enough, Anothermi. I just re-read my post, and it actually sounded really bitchy (towards Freeman) when I was more aiming at a tone along the lines of "come on, dude, you were in the most popular British drama of the year and you're pretending you're not doing another season, ever?"

Here's an article that mentions Sherlock's Emmy submission - one episode, His Last Vow (of course). I wish Cumberbatch could win an Emmy for that episode. He showed a lot of range. (And when I edited my post below, the link disappeared, so sorry.)

Edited 7/1: I guess the BBC just tweeted today, "Did you miss me?" with a hashtag #221back, a picture of Moriarty as the icon and a link to a picture that just comes up as blackness on my phone. I wonder what that's about. Are they doing something special for Comic-Con this year?

Edited by Peace 47

The BBC has changed their Twitter avatar to Moriarty from the "Miss me?" video and announced that there will Sherlock news released at 2:21 pm tomorow London time.

Mark Gatiss tweeted the following:

Mark Gatiss @Markgatiss  ·  2h
Or someone...

Mark Gatiss @Markgatiss  ·  2h
Something’s coming…

Mark Gatiss @Markgatiss  ·  3h
It’s all gone dark…

And the fandom explodes...

#221back is already trending worldwide.

I can't imagine it's already airdates. Maybe they're going to indulge my fantasy and do a Moriarty Reichenbach prequel (meaning a prequel to Reichenbach, not necessarily even Sherlock-related)?

Press release:

Sherlock, the hit BBC One drama produced by Hartswood Films, will return to screens for a Special, followed by a series of three new episodes.
The last series saw Sherlock’s life change a lot - he returned from the dead, his best friend John Watson married Mary Morstan and he met his match in Charles Augustus Magnussen. After the briefest of exiles, Sherlock came back only to face one of his biggest mysteries yet. Why is Moriarty’s face being broadcast on every television in the land?

Speaking about the return of the series, co-creator, writer and executive producer Steven Moffat says: “A special, plus a new series of three episodes - it's a record-breaking run! Of course, it's far too early to say what's coming, but we're reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John, is the very last thing you'd expect...”

Co-creator, writer and executive producer Mark Gatiss, adds: “Series Four! At last ! It's always special to return to Sherlock but this time it's even more special as we're doing... a Special! Not only THAT, we'll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on - again!"

Sue Vertue, Executive Producer, Hartswood Films says: “It’s taken a little while to get the dates sorted as none of the boys are exactly sitting back twiddling their thumbs but there was unanimous goodwill to make this work, so we’re thrilled that 221b is going to be inhabited again.”

• Love 3

So they didn't say when the special will air, just that it begins shooting in January 2015. correct? Still exciting news! I just binged watched the entire show two months ago and am anxious for more. I don't know how you people who watch in real time handle these year long breaks!

Hmmmm.  If 221B Baker Street will be "inhabited again" I'm going to speculate that Amanda Abbington (sp?) is not likely to return.  I predict that we'll get a couple of lines explaining her and the unborn child away and that will be it.  Some one remind me I predicted this because the whole thing is so far in the future that I certainly won't remember. 

The news plain and simple was more about that there will definitely BE a fourth season.  That had been up in the air until now.  So, yeah, just knowing there will be a fourth season is enough for me.

I came in at the second season, so I only had to wait for the 3rd, which was excruciating.  The great thing is that they are very watchable, and you can always glean more and more out of repeated watches.

• Love 3
(edited)

Emmy noms are out - Benedict and Martin were nom'd in the dramatic actor category, Martin in the supporting as well, and "His Last Vow" for TV movie

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 1

Sherlock received a total of 12 Emmy nominations this year (it's now received a cumulative 29 Emmy nominations):

• Outstanding Television Movie - "Sherlock: His Last Vow"
  • Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries or Movie - Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Miniseries or Movie - Martin Freeman, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Directing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Dramatic Special - Nick Hurran, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special - Steven Moffat, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - Julia Duff, Casting Director, Kate Rhodes James, Casting Director

• Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries Or Movie - Neville Kidd, Director of Photography, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Costumes For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - Sarah Arthur, Costume Designer, Ceri Walford, Costume Supervisor, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Music Composition For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (Original Dramatic Score) - David Arnold, Michael Price, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Miniseries Or A Movie - Yan Miles, Editor, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Sound Editing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - Doug Sinclair, Supervising Sound Editor, Stuart McCowan, Sound Editor, Jon Joyce, Sound Editor, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

• Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special - Editor, Paul McFadden, Sound Editor, Sue Harding, Foley Artist, John Mooney, Sound Mixer, Howard Bargroff, Re-Recording Mixer, Doug Sinclair, ADR Mixer, Peter Gleaves, ADR Mixer, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"
  • Love 2

They've always submitted one episode as a movie rather than the whole season as a miniseries. I believe that's because, in previous years (when movie/miniseries were combined into one category) miniseries had to be six hours or more. When the category split this year, they could've gone with either but chose to remain in movie. Probably partly because they always say they consider the episodes individual movies, and also because of the fierce competition in miniseries, they probably think they have a better chance in the movie category. I think that's right, BTW: Fargo is pretty much unstoppable to win miniseries, but movie is a two horse race between Sherlock and The Normal Heart.

They didn't choose to remain a movie, the producers have no choice in the matter.  Sherlock competes as a movie because it has to not because they think it increases their odds of winning. 

Sherlock can't compete as a Drama Series because it doesn't have enough episodes (a minimum of six).  Sherlock can't compete as a Miniseries because, according to Emmy rules, it is not one.  It's an ongoing story with the same characters.  A Miniseries has to end in the final episode.  The only choice they have is submit as a movie or don't compete.

And if they did have a choice and chose to submit as a movie because they thought they could win, they're fools.  There is no horse race.  The Normal Heart is even more of a sure thing to win than Fargo is.

• Love 2

Sorry, no matter how you slice it, if one category (Lead in a Movie or Miniseries) can include American Horror Story, Luther, Sherlock, Fargo, and The Normal Heart and NOT include True Detective (Drama Series), I reserve the right to consider the whole thing shenanigans.

I agree, the Academy really does need to make an absolute ruling on where the anthology series will compete.  They should all be required to compete in Miniseries or they should all be required to compete in Drama Series (or Comedy Series if applicable).  Allowing them to decide for themselves is ludicrous, even if I am looking forward to the Breaking Bad vs True Detective cage match in all of the drama categories.  

Luther, like Sherlock, is in the only place it can be.  The Academy ruled in their favor, so they stay in Miniseries.

• Love 1

Actually I have to correct myself. Sherlock isn't prohibited from competing in miniseries due to length (miniseries have to be a minimum of 150 minutes and at least two episodes, which Sherlock beats) but because it has a "created by" credit. That's why True Detective ended up in the drama series category and Fargo (which is "created for television by" Noah Hawley) didn't. They are different WGA rules. Since Sherlock is created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, it would need special dispensation to compete as miniseries (which Ryan Murphy got the year American Horror Story competed as a miniseries).

Discussing "Sherlock" may have been declared out-of-bounds at Benedict's ComicCon panels, but RadioTimes managed to get something Sherlock out of him at ComicCon nonetheless: Benedict Cumberbatch: I know the solution to Sherlock’s Moriarty mystery – it’s very good

And here's some late-breaking news from the Daily Star: Sherlock fans want the detective and sidekick Dr Watson to be gay lovers.

(No. Really? I never heard this!)

(I don't think it was the gay joke that did it, Mark.)