Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E23: Live Eliminations

• Start Topic

Based on iTunes from each round:

Top Auditions - Jordan, Amy, Shelby, Barrett (All made T100; next highest is below #300.)
Top Battles - Barrett, Mark, Korin, Jordan, Amy (The ones who made T200.)
Top Knockouts - Amy, Jordan, Madi, Braiden, Korin (The ones who made T100.)
Top Playoffs - Jordan, Emily, Barrett, Zach, Madi
T12 - Jordan, Amy, Jeffery, Barrett, Emily
T11 - Amy, Jordan, Emily, Madi, Jeffery
T10 - Jordan, Barrett, Emily, Madi, Jeffery

Most consistent: #1 Jordan - 1st, 2nd, 4th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st
#2 Amy - 1st, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st
#3 Barrett - 3rd, 1st, 4th, 4th, 2nd
#4 Emily - 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd
#5 Madi - 5th, 3rd, 4th, 4th
#6 Jeffery - 5th, 3rd, 5th
#7 Korin - 5th, 3rd (but neither of them live)
1 placement - Zach (lives); Braiden, Shelby, Mark
Nothing - Evan

Zach/Braiden/Shelby should be easy eliminations. Jordan should be a mortal lock for the finals. I could in theory see any combination of the other 3 make the top 4.

Notable Order Placements, for whole season:

Barrett - last, last, last, last

Jordan - last, last, 2nd to last

Jeff - 2nd to last, last

Emily - last, 2nd to last

Zach - last

Madi, Braiden - 2nd to last

Amy, Shelby N/A

Lol at Amy. Producers don't love her, but the iTunes buyers do.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

JMO, but I think Korin was relieved to be gone. I got that just from her body language. I think she was realizing that Gwen was making her in a "Mini-Me" and, it ultimately made her uncomfortable. I think her problem with remembering her lyrics, were her mind telling her to "run away".

Watching this show now, makes me long for the season of Tessanne Chin. I looked forward to hearing her sing every night. This lot....I'm watching more out of "duty" than anything else.

• Love 9

I think part of Korin's problem was also that she had to learn 2 songs every week, to everyone else's one. I mean presumably Braiden learned his save song the first week of lives and then had another two weeks to practice it.

When the twitter count on the bottom went to 49%/51% right before they cut it off, I thought Korin was going to pull it out. That would have been awesome, even though she's would have been cut next week anyway. If she had been even close to getting that song right she would have gone through. Even singing first and forgetting half the lyrics she made it close!

• Love 2

Aw, I just felt bad for Korin.  She actually sounded better (to me) when she was actually singing but watching her forget lyrics and then try to keep it together when Carson asked her if she was o.k. was hard.  I think buckybruce might be on to something- subconsciously she may have just be over it.  In some ways I don't think going out Top10 is much different than going out Top9 next week.  Obviously it gives one more week to sing and be seen but at least this week you go out alone, and thus get some "press" while next week apparently a bunch are going out and have to share the farewell limelight- which won't even be as bright because the focus will truly be on the top 4 left.  And presumably they are all eligible for the comeback songs so they all still have some airtime in the next couple weeks.

Still doesn't seem like Carson's announcement is in random order to me- so in addition to Braiden- Shelby, Zach, Barrett & Amy all seem in danger of elimination next week.

Still doesn't seem like Carson's announcement is in random order to me- so in addition to Braiden- Shelby, Zach, Barrett & Amy all seem in danger of elimination next week.

I think part of it maybe trying to build suspense. I mean you could make people panic thinking Jordan might be the in the bottom two, but I think a lot of the audience would realize it isn't happening.

I thought Korin looked like she was absolutely done by the end of the judges comments, and I felt like she just wanted all of them...despite the fact that they were trying to make her feel better --she just wanted them to stfu and get it over with.

I am glad she has started to reclaim her own look.   And Gwen looked like a float in the rose parade tonight.    I'm pretty annoyed with her focusing so much on the contestants looks.

The best part of the night was Blake peeing his pants that Dolly is coming and the other judges looking like....who?

The guys singing with Adam tonight made him look middle aged and slow.   They were really good.    Sia and her wig annoy me as well but at least that little dancing  girl was not flinging herself around during the song.   She's a good singer and I know why she does it but its worn thin.

• Love 6

I normally think Carson does a great job of being kind and protective and supportive. But tonight I was so disappointed although I know he was still trying to be kind.

Why was it okay to yammer on and on about Korin forgetting her lyrics (although still singing so much better than Braiden) but no one mentioned how Braiden hardly hit any of the correct notes as he yelled and stomped around the stage like a bad middle school talent show?  That was awful. I don't know how Adam managed to be so gracious ending with "Awesome job". It. Wasn't.

Kudos to Korin for not breaking down in tears as they all tried to comfort her. That's so hard to hear when you're already upset, and it's in front of a live crowd and millions on tv too. She did great staying composed through that.  I was so hoping Braiden would go, but it'll only be one more song he'll butcher as he tries to show us he's meant to be a rock star. (I still think sending 5 home in one week is a little bizarre, but I guess it's time to crown Jordan so...okay. Another season of the Voice where F1 won't be a breakout star. Hopefully some of the others will benefit from the exposure and be able to sustain musical careers, that's still a big benefit if they can.)

• Love 3

Gwen is reminding me more and more like Tana from the Apprentice season 3. She let that Craig Wayne Boyd makeover go to her head and forgot about everything else. She needs to focus on the 99% that truly matters instead of the 1%.

Tana: We won the Pontiac task because of the shape (of the brochure). The shape was why we won the task. The shape was why we won, people. *hollers*

Edited by ppl
  • Love 1

Korin and Braiden in the bottom two. The High School Talent Hour. Throw Zach in there too. Just not getting his appeal at all. Weak voice, and i know I'm not the intended demographic, but his dance moves are totally...well, no other way to say it...white boy. (Something no one ever said of a young Elvis).

Amy has been my favorite female all year, but I'm getting ready to agree with those who say she's all image. Though on this show "image" often gets called "artistry. Or to put it another way, she's getting by on her looks. I think she's needs to go back to singing songs that have meaning for her. Maybe something by Billie Holiday, who she said was her idol. It could be a risky move, but she's not going to win anyway, so why not go out with her head held high and showing some integrity.

As a vocalist, Jeffrey is completely in a class by himself this year. Though please, take a break from the sad songs. As beautifully as he sings them, it's gotten boring. Another Voice cliché is sad and serious equals "artist." But real artists sing happy and fun songs too.

Jordan really showed his limitations with that snooze fest version of "Hallelujah." I would rather have heard Jeffrey sing it. At least he would've understood what the song's about. Do people actually listen to lyrics anymore? "Hallelujah" is not a hymn. And "River" by Joni Mitchell is not a Christmas song. (Well, only in the sense that it's about holiday depression. But people now treat it like it's "Silent Night.")

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

That was just sad.  A pity because after the way Braiden butchered his second song of the week, its simply nuts that he's made it to the so called "semifinals".

Going to one elimination a week has only served to underscore the low level of talent this season.  Braiden, Zach and Shelby don't deserve to be anywhere near the semifinals.  The talent at the top isn't all that great either.  I wouldn't replace any of last season's Top 6 with any of this season's Top 9 and that includes Jordan.

• Love 3

Going to one elimination a week has only served to underscore the low level of talent this season.  Braiden, Zach and Shelby don't deserve to be anywhere near the semifinals.

Quite a few talents were cut during the Live Playoffs. At this rate, I'd take Blind Joe over 3-4 of these "semifinalists". At least he was energetic instead of lethargic.

• Love 2

So glad that Korin with her constantly scared/mopey expression is gone. It's been painful to watch her. At least Braiden is enjoying himself and not working himself up into obvious knots. Both of them know they don't have the best voices on the show (or at least they should if they are the least bit self-aware) so her obvious agony each week seemed to be a self psych-out. So she had to learn more extra songs than the others - she's been trying to make singing her career, that's what you have to do. It's not as if she came to the show without a song repertoire already. 

I was so ready for Korin to go.  She grew increasingly more uncomfortable on stage and that made me uncomfortable.  But then she gets up there and sings Try with her own hair, forgetting the lyrics and she broke my heart.  I was so sorry for her, I almost voted. Her song choice melted my cold brittle heart. 

• Love 1

Man, it's time for Korin to go but I'm bummed that she went out in such a manner. But how fitting that she sang "Try" after all the "make-over" Gwen tried on her. At least she got back to her hair color before being eliminated. I've defended Gwen as a coach on her first season, but after the lives, I won't be sad if she's not back on the Voice ever. Even the words of encouragement she gives her singers revolves around talking about herself. She needs to learn from her good friends, Blake and Pharrell, on how to speak empathetic words.

Sia. Just wow. This is the type of pop songs I love. And of course, I don't even have to mention her voice.

• Love 2

I thought it was ridiculous that when one person royally fucks up, that the vote was that close.  What the hell?  I like Korin more than Braiden, but come on.  I bet Korin would have felt horrible to have been saved after that atrocious outing.  

• Love 1

I wasn't a Korin fan, but god, I felt so mortified for her.  And then there was the further horror of the coaches trying to assure her it's happened to all of them, plus Carson continuing to say, "Most people would have run off the stage!"  Poor kid.

That being said, I wish she and Braiden had both been sent packing.  

And I'm so jealous of the remaining contestants getting to work with Dolly next week!

• Love 1

Was it my imagination? Gwen appeared to be giving Korin a 'keep your head up' sign. Something a real mentor would do. I've wondered if Gwen is much more serious behind the scenes. What we see is always the old thing.

The best part of the night was Blake peeing his pants that Dolly is coming and the other judges looking like....who?

I'm sure they know who she is; it seemed more like they were just surprised she was coming, like they hadn't heard yet.

Agree that Korin seemed ready to go, and how awful to have to stand there while Carson rattled on about her mistakes. He meant well but yeah, that was a bit rough.

I think Brayden seems like a sweet kid. He knows he's not going to win but he is enjoying himself and clearly appreciates the experience. He has moments where he sounds good but I think his (or whoever picks them) song choices have been bad.

Gwen's shirt looked like ocean debris caught in a fishing net.

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 4

I do not watch much of this show after America starts to vote, because America is usually stupid and wrong.  I check in here to see what's happening and go to YouTube for any striking performance.  But last night, I surfed by the show inadvertently and heard Gwen say something like "I just want the people on my team to let America know who they really are, and be themselves, and let that shine."   I like Gwen, but WTF?  Of the four coaches, she has been the most insistent on changing the look of her contestants.  From the pictures I've seen, Korin hasn't looked like herself in any of the live shows.  Braiden's hair looks different every week.  No one can wear glasses.  Etc.  

• Love 3

I'm glad that Korin's hair is almost back to her natural color but it already looks damaged.  Poor Korin.  Maybe, she was sending a message that she didn't want to change that much.  She looked uncomfortable once Gwen started changing her looks.  She was previously more quirky and fun.

I think Braiden is getting worse.  His best was during the KO round against Ellie.

I'm actually happy for Korin that she finally got to go home. Seriously, now she can go be KORIN again. It was nice to hear Gwen go on and on about how she and Korin are on the same journey, though. Which journey would that be, exactly, Gwen? Dating Blake? Being rich and having three kids? Not everything is about you and how you feel.

Braiden is hard to hate; when he's bouncing up and down on the stage and grinning like a loon, it's hard to hate on him BUT if he's going to be on a contest like this, it would serve him better to give him honest criticism. He's definitely 15 and he sings like he's 15. Hopefully, he'll be homeward bound soon. And I hope he takes Barrett with him.

Everyone else can stay or go; that's how much I care about this weird season.

• Love 3

JMO, but I think Korin was relieved to be gone. I got that just from her body language. I think she was realizing that Gwen was making her in a "Mini-Me" and, it ultimately made her uncomfortable. I think her problem with remembering her lyrics, were her mind telling her to "run away".

Watching this show now, makes me long for the season of Tessanne Chin. I looked forward to hearing her sing every night. This lot....I'm watching more out of "duty" than anything else.

I agree with you on the Korin being done, but I could not stand Tessanne and would not want a repeat.

Glad that Jeffrey was safe, he is the one I want to hear.

What annoys me about Jeffrey - besides the dismal songs he sings - is the fact that when he's up on stage during the eliminations he doesn't meet anyone's eyes and keeps looking downward.

I keep imagining my mom giving him a whack on his back and telling him to stand up straight and pay attention to the people who are talking - lol.

• Love 2

So the blatant talking about God and doing religious songs because you think it will get you votes is about as transparent as my shower curtain. And the maids came today so yeah. Both Amy and Korin talking about God last night and more more than a couple religious songs this season. It's cheap and comes across as such. Stop it. And while we're stopping things, Barrett. Just stop. All of it. Ok byeeee.

Edited by Adusk81
  • Love 5

So the blatant talking about God and doing religious songs because you think it will get you votes is about as transparent as my shower curtain. And the maids came today so yeah. Both Amy and Korin talking about God last night and more more than a couple religious songs this season. It's cheap and comes across as such. Stop it. And while we're stopping things, Barrett. Just stop. All of it. Ok byeeee.

Jordan's going to ride the Jesus bus all the way to the Promised Land as this season's winner. But Pharrell might be the worst culprit. I wish he could find a way to say he liked someone's singing with saying their voice from God, they are singing for God, they put him in touch with God etc.

Quite a few talents were cut during the Live Playoffs. At this rate, I'd take Blind Joe over 3-4 of these "semifinalists". At least he was energetic instead of lethargic.

Agree on Blind Joe. I liked his singing, his enthusiasm, and the fact that he was refreshingly free of self pity, especially compared to Barrett's "Vote for me because I survived a plane crash." Still can't forgive Blake for picking Barrett over Blind Joe. Look at all the pain that's caused us.

Actually, this is one season in which I can't be down on America for their choices. It's the coaches who saddled us with this bunch of losers with their picks in the battle and knock-out rounds.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I liked Adam's performance with those two other guys.  Wikipedia says they were R City and the song was Locked Away.  I generally like the songs that Adam chooses to perform when he is not singing with his team.

Sia - I am not really familiar with her.  That bow was pretty funny.  Is her thing not to show her face?  It certainly was a gimmick that got my attention.  So, the earlier part was kind of good, but I thought she sounded more and more like an alley cat as she went on.  When Carson lavished praise at the end, "That was a master class." I realized that sometimes, I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

I would have preferred to continue to hear Korin, but it doesn't matter at this stage.  I like her voice but she sure did look miserable.

• Love 4

I liked Adam's performance with those two other guys.  Wikipedia says they were R City and the song was Locked Away.  I generally like the songs that Adam chooses to perform when he is not singing with his team.

Locked Away by R City featuring Adam Levine went #1 on pop radio and #1 in digital sales just a few months ago.

So...he chose to sing it cuz it's his song. Like Gwen Stefani chose to sing her song. 

• Love 1

Locked Away by R City featuring Adam Levine went #1 on pop radio and #1 in digital sales just a few months ago.

So...he chose to sing it cuz it's his song.

I have been loving this song for months so I really enjoyed this performance.  One of the highlights of this lackluster ho-hum season for me.