Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

I've noticed that almost no one asks follow up questions. They ask something or bring up a subject, the candidate spews forth some blather or other that raises all kinds of questions,but the interviewer simply drops it entirely and goes on to the next talking point. No second question, no follow up clarifications. Rarely anyway.

About the only one I've heard who will is Joy Reid. She had a couple of guys on today who were talking about...guess what!!!...Trump, and the violence at his rallies because you know that nothing else has happened in the world this weekend. Anyway, one guy started going on about how both sides do it, the Democrats were having problems at their rallies too. She stopped him very politely and said "I just can't let you continue with that line of thinking because it simply isn't true". I near fell off my chair!'

Craig Melvin is doing it now to the Republican president of the Ohio State Senate, who supports Kasich.

Faber: "Having MoveOn and Bernie Sanders people going to Trump rallies to try and shout down Trump people is also a recipe for disaster."

Melvin: "Senator Faber, there's been no connection between MoveOn and the violence at Trump rallies. There's also been no proven connection that Bernie Sanders supporters were the ones disrupting the Trump rallies. What you just did right there is, some would argue, part of the problem: shirking responsibility, trying to lay the blame at other people's feet."

• Love 6

Yeah, Craig and Joy are pretty good interviewers when they get the chance. Kate Snow, Chuck Todd, et al just let things go by without comment or followup most of the time.  And don't even get me started on Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson. When those two are asked what's happening on the campaign trail they respond almost uncritically, like they we're just checking in with the true believers but calling them 'journalists'.  I can't with them. 

Morning Joe for five hours today (until 2pm PT) should be illegal. I cannot believe that happened. Sigh. 

I guess today is the day we will find out who we are fighting in the fall: the Goa'uld or the Ori.  (Stargate geek reference, alarmingly on point.)

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 3

And don't even get me started on Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson. When those two are asked what's happening on the campaign trail they respond almost uncritically, like they we're just checking in with the true believers but calling them 'journalists'.  I can't with them. 

Honestly, they come off as cheerleaders for tRump.  The only one assigned to tRump that seems to have any sort of critical eye is Ali Vitali.

What did Brian Williams say on Tuesday evening about the possibility of an "emergency" declaration?  Was that about a convention, or something else?  (Yes, I also wish he were not on the screen.  Especially when he is taking time away from Rachel Maddow.)

Also, today on MSNBC, after the SCOTUS announcement and after Andrea Mitchell, there was an anchor who was announcing the headline, "Hillary Clinton is close to sweeping the Super Tuesday primaries" (on Tuesday night).  What do you mean, "close to"?  As in, "completely"? 

Maybe they still haven't officially called Missouri yet, due to absentee ballots? I'm just guessing here.

Tweety's suggestion last night that Hillary choose Kasich as her running mate has been sufficiently mocked in the left-wing blogosphere today. I love what Digby has to say:

This is the "mainstream" commentary MSNBC is featuring on its wall to wall election coverage these days. If you want Villagers and wingnuts you know what channel to watch. Personally, I don't want either but I really can't stand them together.

At least CNN has an equal number of women.  Poor Maddow is often the only one on MSNBC.  But then, they seem to be going for the minuscule Villager men-over-60 audience and they don't seem to recognize yet that Ailes has that one wrapped up. (And we know that he features some nice visuals for the duffers in their Lazyboys to oggle.) It's a sad end to a noble experiment.

• Love 2

And don't even get me started on Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson. When those two are asked what's happening on the campaign trail they respond almost uncritically, like they we're just checking in with the true believers but calling them 'journalists'.  I can't with them.

Well the funny thing here is that I vividly recall a few months ago when they went to a Trump speech that he just absolutely eviscerated Katy Tur, talking about how stupid she was and so on.  She was basically the new Megyn Kelly in his eyes.  I felt embarrassed for her in that they didn't cut away, and they aired the whole thing.  Chris Matthews had a few chuckles afterward.

Another thing I have noticed on primary nights is that Kornacki is flailing about in his quest to be the MSNBC John King.  He doesn't totally get how to work the board.  More than once He's said that he'll get back to them (at the anchor desk) when he figures out  how to call the correct information up. 

Edited by vb68

Another thing I have noticed on primary nights is that Kornacki is flailing about in his quest to be the MSNBC John King.  He doesn't totally get how to work the board.  More than once He's said that he'll get back to them (at the anchor desk) when he figures out  how to call the correct information up

Is he the guy with sleeves rolled up who mans the maps and can't quite get the hang of "tap on a county to show detail?" Because he cracks me up. So excited by teknologee and yet so defeated...

• Love 2

Is he the guy with sleeves rolled up who mans the maps and can't quite get the hang of "tap on a county to show detail?" Because he cracks me up. So excited by teknologee and yet so defeated...

That would be him.  He cracks me up too.  He does seem so eager.

Edited by vb68

Well the funny thing here is that I vividly recall a few months ago when they went to a Trump speech that he just absolutely eviscerated Katy Tur, talking about how stupid she was and so on.  She was basically the new Megyn Kelly in his eyes.  I felt embarrassed for her in that they didn't cut away, and they aired the whole thing.  Chris Matthews had a few chuckles afterward.

Yes, that was awful the way he treated Tur--getting the whole crowd to turn and glare at her roped into his "press pen" in the middle of the room. Then last week he ripped into Peter Alexander for daring to ask about his use of profanity. "Oh, you're just so perfect! The perfect young man who's never heard such terrible words! So perfect, aren't you?" and on and on in a sarcastic and humiliating way.

That's why when I see Tur, Alexander and the other two with them being so mild and meek about Trump as they were tthis week in their little "post election round table" I think (1) either he's just bullied them into silence OR (2) they are going overboard to continue to be professional and not seem like they're using their "power of the press" to unfairly attack him.

I think it's the latter--but the effect (muting criticism) is the same either way.

• Love 1

Yep.  Plus I noticed that MSNBC's boards are a lot less sophisticated than CNN's.  LOL

Chuck Todd had way better toys in 2008.  I don't know why they moth balled them.  I really hate that wheel graphic they are using to represent the exit polls.

They mystery question is, what is so important that it's always rolled up in Kornacki's hand?  I didn't like him very much on Up, but I never thought he'd turn out to be a complete tool.

Why does Chris Matthews insist on having that waste of space Michelle Bachmann on his program.  She never answered his question, just went off topic about how terrible Hillary is and that she's going to lose the election because she doesn't support coal.  She's a total puppet.  And If I never see her creepy eyes again, it will be too soon! 

• Love 9

Why does Chris Matthews insist on having that waste of space Michelle Bachmann on his program.

I was wondering that too.  I turned the channel as soon as I saw her.

I've actually grown to like Chuck Todd. I think it's in part because he listens so much better than Chris Matthews. CM's preconceived ideas and interrupting and talking over his guests is really annoying. Even when he's making good points or has good guests, I find his show unwatchable often because he just won't be quiet when I want to hear what someone else is saying.

• Love 1

I've actually grown to like Chuck Todd.

I hate him, with the burning passion...  He was okay back in the day on C-Span, he was even okay as the enthusiastic MS/NBC answer to John King with all his geeky knowledge and enthusiasm about the electorate and geography, but as MTP Moderator - his smarm and bias shine through way too much, every bit as much as David Gregory.  He was okay teamed up with Savannah Guthrie, but for me he's unbearable without her.

• Love 5

Why does Chris Matthews insist on having that waste of space Michelle Bachmann on his program.  She never answered his question, just went off topic about how terrible Hillary is and that she's going to lose the election because she doesn't support coal.  She's a total puppet.  And If I never see her creepy eyes again, it will be too soon!

I guess with Palin being sidelined they decided to drag out Bachmann. I'm glad I didn't change the channel 'cuz in the end Chris got the last laugh when he reminded her the anti-Trump "ad" they had just shown was actually made my Republican women.

I got lots of laughs from that CM show last night. He barely interrupted (!) and some guests took the opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot. It's like Keystone Kops time. Or rearranging chairs on the Titanic...

Agree, NextIteration, that Chuck Todd was kind of likeable on C-Span but he comes off really smug these days. And not nearly as well-informed.

My jury's still out on Kornacki but he's growing on me. I kind of enjoy seeing his enthusiasm though many times lately I have thought of, and missed, TimR. RIP

• Love 1

I came here to ask why on earth MSNBC is giving a platform to the washed-up and totally crackers Michele Bachmann, but I see I'm late to the party. With her thankfully out of sight, I'd forgotten about ol' crazy eyes, but MSNBC inexplicably felt the need to bring her back. 

I used to have this network on every day, but it's degenerated so dreadfully. "The Place for Politics"? More like the place for a steaming pile of crap. I empathize with those who feel lost because they have no default channel to turn to in this election year. RIP, MSNBC. 

• Love 10

I came here to ask why on earth MSNBC is giving a platform to the washed-up and totally crackers Michele Bachmann, but I see I'm late to the party. With her thankfully out of sight, I'd forgotten about ol' crazy eyes, but MSNBC inexplicably felt the need to bring her back. 

I used to have this network on every day, but it's degenerated so dreadfully. "The Place for Politics"? More like the place for a steaming pile of crap. I empathize with those who feel lost because they have no default channel to turn to in this election year. RIP, MSNBC. 

Keith got crazy at times without a doubt but damn I miss those days now.

• Love 3

Keith got crazy at times without a doubt but damn I miss those days now.

Those were the good old days!  I miss Keith terribly. 

I don't mind Chris Matthews (most of the time) because he's really a very smart guy, and as New Digs said, he did get to put Michelle Bachmann in her place.  I just don't know why she is being trotted out again.   I love that Chris has such a vast knowledge pf past events that he often reminds people of the "facts."  I love when he's on Bill Maher and gets to tell some Republican blowhard how it really was.  But I'm not fond of him telling almost every guest at the end of their segment how great they are.   

• Love 2

I sort of think that Tweety brings Crazy Eyes on to mock her.

Hee.  I know it's mean, but I would love to see someone call him that nickname on air.  I can only imagine the meltdown.

• Love 4

I hate him, with the burning passion...  He was okay back in the day on C-Span, he was even okay as the enthusiastic MS/NBC answer to John King with all his geeky knowledge and enthusiasm about the electorate and geography, but as MTP Moderator - his smarm and bias shine through way too much, every bit as much as David Gregory.  He was okay teamed up with Savannah Guthrie, but for me he's unbearable without her.

I feel the same way. David Gregory was awful and NBC decides he's better. Ugh! Two terrible mistakes.

• Love 1

And now Brian Williams is covering the events in Brussels:  "what would normally be a beautiful evening on the cobblestone streets, but now where residents need to walk around looking like they are innocent."  

• Love 2

When I saw Kate Snow was covering the breaking news from Brussels, I thought, "Brian Wms must be rushing over there right now." Sure enough, a few minutes later, Kate was gone and he was anchoring it, in that same dry, monotonous and condescending tone he always uses when pointing out the obvious. 

I really think Kate Snow is enough of a journalist after all these years to not need to be bumped by Brian Williams for any breaking story. Just like Andrea Mitchell at the Nancy Reagan funeral. Brian Wms. is not really the MSNBC "A team" while everyone else is an also-ran. Not at all. (Though if they want to fire Joe Scarborough and replace him with BW, that's the one  substitution that  really would be a great improvement)

• Love 5

And now Brian Williams is covering the events in Brussels:  "what would normally be a beautiful evening on the cobblestone streets, but now where residents need to walk around looking like they are innocent."  

Totally laugh out loud!!!

• Love 1

Totally laugh out loud!!!

Glad you got it!  I was trying not to editorialize, but wanted to add something like, "indeed, Brussels, the city where thieves and thugs mill around on the cobblestones". 

• Love 3

I turned my TV on yesterday and they were talking to Omarosa again. Seriously!!!  WTF? These people. 

Anyway, I immediately changed to CNN. Oy. That was so much worse I couldn't keep watching it. Or I should say I had to change channels before I slipped into a coma. 

MSNBC is annoying as hell right now but they are colorful and excited. The hosts and the guests tend to be passionate and interested and even when I want to smack them I can say they were not boring to watch, usually. Then I turn to CNN and it's like I tuned in to a sleep disorder channel. Boring monochrome droning along in a droning monotone. Five people on screen in five separate boxes and every one of them talking...like....this...in...a....grey...low....mono.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CNN is no alternative. Fox is out of the question. I guess I'm stuck with MSNBC even though they are driving me nuts. 

As for BW, his hosting is so shallow and lightweight and pointless 90 percent of the time I hear him now. He is the king of the meaningless banal commentary.  Gawd, make him stop.  /end whiny rant

• Love 4

Chris Matthews asking Kasich if he would consider being Hillary's VP pick was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. (Did I hear that correctly?). People keep referring to him as a moderate, and just because he's not crazy, doesn't mean he's a moderate.  Hillary would never pick him as VP.  He's against everything she's for. 

• Love 15

Just watched Chris Matthews interviewing Hillary who was wearing a white flower on her suit jacket.  I don't know when it was taped, but I was taken aback at how rudely he challenged her on 911 & Benganzi, etc.  I wanted to slap his impertinent face!!!

• Love 5

Was happy to hear no Mika today. But where the heck is Joe? He mentioned being at 30,000 feet but it's difficult to imagine that his involvement is so important that they're bothering. The lighting makes him look like the cryptkeeper. And a suit and tie? Is that normal? Why do I care? Ugh.

• Love 1

Tto Chris' credit, he did a town hall with John Kasich and Marco Rubio.

On FOX, no surprise, they're doing one-on-one interviews with the three remaining republican candidates today.

And pathetic CNN is having Trump on for an interview twice today.

Brian Williams taking over the Cuba coverage and babbling on about the Godfather sites tourists want to see, and the bad potholes in the street and old car parts in Cuba while Gene Robinson is sitting right there off camera waiting to be introduced. When he gets around to it, BW doesn't even mention that Gene has written a book about Cuba--Gene has to tell us that himself. But then, one sentence in, ... no time for any of his insights at all. Because Obama and Castro are about to speak.

MSNBC used to be a good place to go for special coverage during the day. Maybe they're regarded as NBC News' "B" team, but they've got a lot of skillful people and do not need anything that Brian Williams has to offer (whatever that may be).. Are we stuck with him until he's been "punished" sufficiently (and we have along with him) to return him to the nightly news (which seems to also be fine without him)? Is that their game plane? He really adds nothing.                                             

• Love 7

Brian Williams taking over the Cuba coverage and babbling on about the Godfather sites tourists want to see, and the bad potholes in the street and old car parts in Cuba while Gene Robinson is sitting right there off camera waiting to be introduced. When he gets around to it, BW doesn't even mention that Gene has written a book about Cuba--Gene has to tell us that himself. But then, one sentence in, ... no time for any of his insights at all. Because Obama and Castro are about to speak.

MSNBC used to be a good place to go for special coverage during the day. Maybe they're regarded as NBC News' "B" team, but they've got a lot of skillful people and do not need anything that Brian Williams has to offer (whatever that may be).. Are we stuck with him until he's been "punished" sufficiently (and we have along with him) to return him to the nightly news (which seems to also be fine without him)? Is that their game plane? He really adds nothing.                                             

My bold.  Brian dug his own hole.  I'm happy with Lester, who was very deserving of the job!!!

• Love 3

MSNBC seems hellbent on showing big protests in Miami to the Cuba visit . They have a chyron ready for it that they display and keep sending this poor man (Gabe Gutierrez?) around to find these massive protests to report on. They've been doing it all day.  So far:  a couple dozen people protested for a short time this morning then went home. Almost no one  else Gabe interviews has a problem with the Cuba visit. It totally throws whichever anchor is talking to Gabe at the moment and the chyron still shows 'Protests' as though protests were happening.  Sorry MSNBC.  The people aren't doing what you thought they would and your news agenda is a little out of date. It's 1:45 pm on the West Coast now. I wonder if they'll go back to Gabe AGAIN and ask about all the protesters. I wouldn't put it past them. 

This channel really made a sea change to the right, didn't it?  I mean more than I realized it had. Most of the interviewees are republican operatives and pundits, most of the subject matter is republican talking points without much push back -- and now they are hoping and pushing for anti-Obama protests that barely exist.  I mean, they really really want these protests. Gah. 

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 8

My bold.  Brian dug his own hole.  I'm happy with Lester, who was very deserving of the job!!!

Agreed, but, unfortunately he appears to be dragging others into his damn hole!

To think that he ignored Eugene Robinson!

And usurped Andrea Mitchell!

When it will it end?

And I really like Lester in the NN seat. Hope he's not next.

• Love 1

MSNBC seems hellbent on showing big protests in Miami to the Cuba visit . They have a chyron ready for it that they display and keep sending this poor man (Gabe Gutierrez?) around to find these massive protests to report on. They've been doing it all day.

I haven't been watching closely all day, but Gutierrez seems to posted outside the oh so yummy Versailles Cuban restaurant on "Calle Ocho" in Little Havana.

They had someone there last week as well for the primaries.and all it's doing is making me seriously hungry for a Medianoche or Cubano, some fried plantains and a Café Cubano.

Go away BriWi, I suppose he'll have to intro and outro the tRump AIPAC speech too.  

• Love 3

This channel really made a sea change to the right, didn't it?  I mean more than I realized it had. Most of the interviewees are republican operatives and pundits, most of the subject matter is republican talking points without much push back -- and now they are hoping and pushing for anti-Obama protests that barely exist.  I mean, they really really want these protests. Gah. 

It has. On Cuba and of course, with Trump. It's on in the background now with Matthews interviewing a congressman (Desjarlais) who was at that (very small) "unity" meeting this a.m, with conservatives I've mostly never heard of (except Gingrich)  Chris is talking to Desjarlais now and asking tough questions like, "So in private, he's kind of a nice guy, isn't he?" and "Do you think people will start to see more of that Donald Trump that you and others have seen in private?" and "Why do African Americans dislike him so much? He never even talks about them?" and "Whose a good VP choice for him to lock up all 270 votes?"

Wow. With all the problems with Trump and his campaign and this "expert" can't find anything to ask a supporter but softball "puff" questions. (And yet I'm sure he would have asked a Hillary supporter about Benghazi. And the emails. And why young people hate her.).  Only Hayes and O'Donnell bring any liberal politics to MSNBC now for me. (Rachel is okay, but I honestly think of her as almost "apolitical"--when I want to hear from a liberal, she doesn't -often- deliver. Sometimes she has a good story--like Cruz's religious connections--but most of the time, I feel she tries to not make anyone angry. Hayes, and particularly O'Donnell,can throw caution to the wind..)

• Love 5

MSNBC just keeps finding new ways to piss me off. (As if having hardcore Republican hacks like Ben Ginsberg and Rick Tyler as "MSNC political commentators" isn't bad enough).

Tonight they cut away from a live feed of Bernie Sanders addressing a rally in Arizona to have Lawrence O'Donnell interview Kassie Hunt about the reasons for Bernie's appeal (so much more enlightening than actually hearing him speak). And then, even worse, we get two of MSNBC's army of mainstream political journalists tell us (for the thousandth time) why Bernie Sanders can never be elected President and that HRC is the Dem's only real option. And it was especially frustrating, because while having to less to this vacuous punditry they continued to show Bernie speaking in split screen, with the sound off.

Then Lawrence tells us that after the break we will get taped footage of HRC's and Trump's addresses to AIPAC, while they monitor Bernie's speech to see if there are any "developments." Translation, we were obligated to show you some of Bernie's speech live, so we can claim we're covering him, but then we need to get you back to the only candidates that matter to our corporate owners.

Considering the endless live coverage that MSNC devotes to the speeches of Trump, it's outrageous that they cut away from Bernie to give us more of the same boring "analysis" we get from this station hour after hour after hour.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

Translation, we were obligated to show you some of Bernie's speech live, so we can claim we're covering him,

The thing is, if you've seen one of Bernie's speeches, you've seen them all. Hell, if you've heard a Bernie interview you've heard his stump speech, no matter what the question was. I'll give the guy credit for one thing - he sure knows how to stay on message. Problem is, he hasn't shown any capability of understanding anything about all the other problems facing the country and the world that he'd have to deal with as president. With Bernie, it's Oligarchy!!! Millionaires!!! Billionaires!!! Wall Street!!!! all day, all night, all the time.

• Love 8

I woke up this morning to hate-watch Morning Joe and was annoyed to find Brian Williams breathlessly narrating the terror porn of the Brussels bombings.

He has no business doing this work. Credibility is a precious currency in journalism and he blew all of his. He is fabulously wealthy and could comfortably retire. His need to come back to do this work after that humiliating incident indicates some sort of perverted need to be on television.

• Love 7

I woke up this morning to hate-watch Morning Joe and was annoyed to find Brian Williams breathlessly narrating the terror porn of the Brussels bombings.

He has no business doing this work. Credibility is a precious currency in journalism and he blew all of his. He is fabulously wealthy and could comfortably retire. His need to come back to do this work after that humiliating incident indicates some sort of perverted need to be on television.

I understand how you feel & I am really disappointed in BW too.  BUT, he's only 56 & I don't think he IS rolling in dough, otherwise he would have walked away.  (If I'd been caught in such monumental lies, I would do anything NOT to appear on TV ever again!!   But that's just me.)  Now he's trying to build up his credibility & going over the top with the narrative.  Just sayin'.

The thing is, if you've seen one of Bernie's speeches, you've seen them all. Hell, if you've heard a Bernie interview you've heard his stump speech, no matter what the question was.

And Hillary and Trump don't give the same speech/interview every time??? ("We're gonna make American great again." "I'm a progressive who knows how to get things done.") If the criteria was only showing a politician speak when they say something new, we would never hear from any of them again.

My point wasn't about the content of Bernie's address. It's that a news organization is supposed to make impartial editorial judgements. MSNBC talks a good game, and they are certainly all holier-than-thou when mocking Fox News for being a right wing political organ masquerading as a news network. But when it comes to objectivity, the difference between MSNBC and Fox seems to be getting slimmer all the time.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2