Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

Yes, the Republican primaries are a zoo but please, spend some time on potential Democratic candidates. It's no bloody wonder Hillary Clinton wins every poll. She's the only one who has any name recognition because the others are being totally ignored. I'm not at all convinced that Hillary would be a good nominee for the Democrats and the idea that the Repugs might get the House and the Senate AND the presidency in 2016 honestly makes me nauseous.

This has been a major concern of mine, Hillary soaking up all the oxygen in the room.  What will the Dems do if she decides she doesn't want to run in 2016?  They haven't groomed anyone else (except for Castro who gave the 2012 convention's keynote address...which wasn't all that memorable). One would think MSNBC would be the place to showcase other potential candidates. Maybe they're too busy showcasing their own up and coming on air talent to spend the time looking at successful politicians around the country, trying to figure out who could the The One in '16 for both parties.  There's just something unappealing about so many of the MSNBC folks...probably their self-absorption is what has turned me off increasingly over the years (and smug Chuck is the King in this regard).  If you want to get a real dose of what these people are truly like, read This Town.  It starts off with a jaw-dropping description of all the schmoozing, business card exchanging, etc., at Tim Russert's memorial at the Kennedy Center.

• Love 3

Andyourlittledog2:

The problem I have with Chris I have finally been able to put my finger on: it's all a game to him. He loves the game of politics. And it needs to be played his way or he gets angry. They spoiled his game!! It's not fun when one of the parties doesn't do what Chris thinks they should do to play the game the way Chris thinks it should go.  Today on Alex Wagner's show he sat there fuming like he just smelled a fart and lit into anyone who didn't see things his way. It was ridiculous and childish.  I canceled my DVR of Hardball today because I refuse to listen to him until he calms the fuck down.  What an infant.

This is exactly how I felt about Chris when he was on the panel headed by Rachael during the election.  He sat there with that horrible pouty expression on his face so the world would know exactly how he felt about not being the most important person on TV that night.

I agree with you that it's childish.  I don't watch his show very often anymore as he hogs most of the airtime but the part that drives me mad is how he asks a guest a question and then answers it before giving his guest a chance.  

I expect Chris, along with Luke, Chuck and a few others, to start posting selfies any day now.

• Love 4

I think a big part of Chris's failings is he refuses to recognize that the political system is essentially broken.  He was outraged in 2010 when he was told repeatedly that even though the Republicans had made gains, Democrats cast more votes (something the media has been suspiciously quiet about this last mid term -- Democrats had poor turnouts but I have yet to see a real look at the total number of votes cat by party across the entire nation), that election I believe and he fumed for days when he had his ass handed gently to him by Eugene Robinson on the fact a minority party held the House (and now holds both House and Senate).  He has come around a bit when month after month Republicans as a minority defined what legislation passed in Congress.  But he still blamed Obama because Hillary Clinton was suppose to be President instead.  And a good part of his analysis is based on the false premise that Hillary would have done it much better or that none of this would have happened had she won the primaries in 2008.

With 2016 looming I suspect it is going to get worse.  Especially if an aging Hillary is not seen as the destiny of the Democratic party.  We could see another rapid and unexpected rise "before their time" candidate like President Obama.  He had buzz but no one really thought he would toss his hat in when he did. 

At the end of the day, I agree Chris Matthews loves politics.  But he loves a certain way.  Part legend and part myth (I think for someone who is inside the Beltway he has a very naively eagerness to partake and respond to Hollywood's take on the political system).  One that simply does not exist anymore.  If it ever did.  The smoke filled back rooms hammering out deals is a trope Matthews seems to find more arousing than any penile performance enhancement drug I suspect.

• Love 5

I'm too lazy (can't be bothered actually) to go back and check but didn't Chris write a whole book about the 'game' of politics and how it was a metaphor for life or something stupid like that? I just remember he went on The Daily Show and Jon Stewart absolutely gored him, mercilessly mocked him and Chris, who adores Jon Stewart, just sat there taking it all because he was thrilled to be the subject of Jon's tirade.

• Love 2

I just remember he went on The Daily Show and Jon Stewart absolutely gored him, mercilessly mocked him and Chris, who adores Jon Stewart, just sat there taking it all because he was thrilled to be the subject of Jon's tirade.

That's the thing about Chris Matthews...he's just so daggone pathetically desperate to be a part of the celeb in-crowd.  He's forever awful whenever he's been a guest on talk shows and is always beside himself with pride even when SNL makes fun of him in skits (it has always boggled my mind when he shows these nasty mocking skits; he looks so proud).

• Love 1

MSNBC is debuting a digital platform Monday, that's supposed to try out new hosts and new topics. Segments from the digital shows might end up on MSNBC (though not on primetime) and the topics include sports, economics and pop culture.

Sadly the whole thing starts with a Luke Russert show but it also has shows with Dorian Warren, Krystal Ball and Janet Mock. They've been justifying Ronan's show by saying they're seeking new voices, this might be a better way of doing that than just giving them an hour of daytime. Then again, I think most of these hosts have more experience appearing as contributors than Ronan did before his show debuted.

Dorian Warren *swoon*.  He is what Ronan Farrow pretends to be behind a cloak of nepotistic opportunities that puff out a resume without any real substance of man or achievement.  The pale toad that is Russert fils doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dorian other than as an example of the two ends of the intellect spectrum.

Haha, Chris Matthews was spittle laughing about Colbert's show and how he had been on there six times - even showed a clip of him making an ass of himself by trying to get one-up on Stephen - and how he was supposed to be at Colbert's grand finale last night but had to go to a B-I-Ls party instead. Katie Couric was there and someone she was with took a picture of a big copy of the guest list pasted to the wall. It included names of some guests who hadn't made it for whatever reason. Matthews wasn't even on it! I'll bet he was curled up in a ball in a corner over at his B-I-Ls house whimpering because he wasn't famous or interesting enough to be invited. :D  http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-colbert-final-show-katie-couric-backstage-202713148.html

Edited by shok
  • Love 1

They're giving Luke Russert his own show?

I have no idea who would watch that.   I use to love when Martin Bashir would put him in his place.

I guess Luke wouldn't bother me quite so much if he didn't seem so self-satisfied  all the time.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

Ronan Farrow's ratings just keep getting worse

The host's 1 p.m. Ronan Farrow Daily posted its lowest delivery among the targeted news demographic of adults 25-54 since launching almost a year ago. Pulling a paltry 11,000 viewers in the demo, MSNBC sank below even Al Jazeera America in the hour. AJAM's News Live doubled Farrow's performance with 22,000 — which isn't anything to write home about either.

Horrible.  Almost anything could get better ratings in the slot than Ronan Farrow.

Thank you, junemeatcleaver, for the answer to my question. Sorry it's taken a week to acknowledge that; I don't check In here nearly enough. I spend all day (and evening) glued to MSNBC and Krystal is a favorite of mine. I can't say the same about Ronan or Joy, but I'm sorry for them that they're losing their gigs. However, it appears to be a promotion for Thomas Roberts, another fave. At least he'll get to set his alarm a bit later now.

Ugh, talk about learning the wrong lessons from falling ratings. Griffith is really the one who needs to be fired. Morning Joe's ratings are in the crapper. If he wants to right the ship, they'd be the first ones to go. But, because Griffith is a Republican, he gives Scarborough cover for his crappy ratings.

The ratings fall has to do with Hayes and Maddow having almost identical shows nightly. They are way too similar and should be separated on the line-up. Plus, there needs to be some kind of quota on how many times a guest can appear on the network on one night. I don't need to see Krystall Ball on Ed, Rachel, Chris and Lawrence's show on the same night saying the same thing. They should be covering different stories and having different guests on each night. Instead it is the same 5 stories on each show.

• Love 6

I just wish MSNBC would move a bit to the center.  I'm a centrist myself so I find these left wing/right wing shows really offensive and truly obstructive when it comes to helping the general public understand what the heck is going on in Washington.  Lawrence O'Donnell is always so angry and pi$$ed off..much like Keith O. (gosh, my DH and I miss the old days...those wonderful early days of Keithie's show when he was so funny while still getting his point across--before the anger took over).

• Love 2

MSNBC is the only station that slightly, just slightly, tilts left. All the rest are either rightwing mouthpieces like Fox or are center shows. Why should the left have to give the one news channel that airs their views occassionally when we already have ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN which are non-partisan channels?

• Love 14

For as much as I think MSNBC's decisions have sucked over the past year, I give them credit for hiring Jose Diaz-Balart. He adds needed diversity to the panel and is able to talk about immigration, child refugees and foreign policy with such intelligence and comes from a different perspective than the other hosts. He was excellent on the Cuba announcement.

MSNBC aired a townhall with President Obama with Jose hosting it tonight and it was informative and what MSNBC should be doing. No other English network is doing anything like this. He even asked ?s in Spanish which I am sure will make the wingnuts heads' explode.

• Love 5

I can understand why MSNBC thinks mimicking CNN will work, Zucker's nonsense actually helped stabilize CNN's ratings. 

MSNBC has been in a slow tailspin since Olbermann was quit/fired whatever the hell happened with him.  Right now, they're just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, kind of like what CNN did before they stopped hemorrhaging viewers.

• Love 1

Hey guys! Andrea Mitchell bought Hillary Clinton's new book.  She wants you to know that. She bought it.  There may be other copies of the book around MSNBC for other anchors to use in upcoming interviews, but Andrea bought her own copy. And she needs to tell you that. Repeatedly.  She bought the book, yo! Just so you know. In case you missed hearing her say it fifty times this morning to every guest.  She bought it. She did.

On other fronts, I am pretty sure that Chris Mathews has finally lost it.  I used to really like him but his complete obsession with all things Hillary is bordering on stalking.  And lately he is taking some pretty strong stances on things and then simply browbeating his guests into agreeing with him or else.  I used to watch him every day. Now I find him unutterably exhausting and fast forward through most of it. And if he god forbid gets Joan Walsh on there too, then it's like watching Heathers.I like Joan but she practically foams at the mouth over Hillary. Get her on air with Chris and its more than anyone should have to deal with. And I like Hillary! Those two could turn me off her though.

And because it cannot be emphasized enough:  Craig Melvin is a fine, fine man.  More Craig please. 

She is one of the few who did.

• Love 1

Has anybody heard anything about Ed Schultz? He hasn't been on for weeks. He's been losing his head over the TPP trade agreement and a few weeks ago I had his show on for background noise and heard him go bananas about how he had been Obama's biggest supporter since before Obama had even declared for the presidential race and that he was devastated that Obama was letting him down by pursuing this. He got really personal and irrational and he hasn't done the show since but I haven't heard any news about him being on leave or on holidays or anything.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Ed's but I have to give him credit for standing up for the 'working guy' at all times. He talks to an audience that is too often given short shrift in the media.

• Love 2

Thanks Rick Kitchen. Turns out Ed is back today, and what does he start bloviating about right off the top? The TPP of course. Grabbed for the remote and flipped to CNN and there was Wolfie asking if Obama made the right decision raiding the compound in Syria that killed an ISIS leader and captured his wife. The tedious (and false) 'everything is Obama's fault' reminded me why I very seldom watch CNN. How I wish there was a channel that just reported unvarnished news.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Hardball last night?  Normally I don't but I just happened to tune in, saw that a former deputy director of the CIA was on so I decided to watch. Hot dang...Chris was full of vinegar or somethin' and he was going after Mike Moller (who was trying to plug his new book) for only providing information on Iraq (WMD non-possibilities) to the Bush administration but not speaking up when Bush twisted the info' into something it was not, thus using false reasoning to get us into Iraq.  Chris kept going after the guy and Moller kept trying to slip off the hot seat. Chris was getting angrier & hotter.  What was so memorable was Moller immediately grabbing his mug and taking a quick gulp each time Chris would turn to the other guest for comment.  It reminded me of skits on early SNL shows. I can't remember the last time Hardball was so fascinatingly entertaining!

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/fmr-cia-deputy-director-grilled-on-iraq-war-447888451643

• Love 2

How I wish there was a channel that just reported unvarnished news.

There is. It's called AlJazeera America. I find their coverage of US news far more straightforward and unbiased than any American network or cable station.

• Love 1

Lawdy!  Could Keithie be returning to MSNBC?  I just read this somewhere online.  I remember in his early days on MSNBC when he'd show his Worst Person in the World segment...it always was hilarious, especially when he'd go after Bill O'Realllly.  Unfortunately, this schtick quickly darkened and became ugly and no longer funny.  What's the problem with Keith?  I wonder if he's pondered why he keeps getting fired.

• Love 1

I feel like I should be in mourning.  I tuned in to Ed tonight at 5:00 and wondered what on earth I would watch at 5:00 after he leaves. Wolf Blitzer?  I guess he would be an improvement on Chuck Todd.  I assume there is no room for progressive voices on any network. Maybe Law & Order reruns or the local news.  Now that might be a nice change.

• Love 1
(edited)

You can watch With All Due Respect with Halperin and Heilemann on Bloomberg if you can stomach Halperin's kissing up to the republicans

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here is an article to the impending, but not finalized, change in approach and lineup that is coming to the daily shows at MSNBC -- it does mention KO with "no comment" near the end!  I still have some of his shows on podcast -- they were invigorating!  Changes coming to MSNBC:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/exclusive-more-msnbc-changes-coming-with-three-shows-out-hard-news-and-chuck-todd-back/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/24/tanking-msnbc-gets-a-serious-shakeup.html

Edited by jjj

If Keith comes back I wonder what the interaction will be like between him and Rachel Maddow. When he brought her onto MSNBC they were always so buddy-buddy, but apparently when he left she never reached out or said one word to him again. I read some interview he gave a few years ago where he was kind of bitter about that.

(edited)

I'll repost this link to a Gawker article calling out that particular Daily Beast reporter for having a double standard in ignoring how much Morning Joe's ratings have slipped. And it gave me a good chuckle when he called Chuck Todd a "non-ideological reporter" which says plenty about how the Beltway media defines "non-ideological."

ETA: One thing I find interesting is that there's no talk about demo ratings. MSNBC used to be tops with African-American viewers and that would have buoyed Al Sharpton's show in the past. I don't know if these reporters don't know/don't care about that but I'd think that's an important part of the picture -- if that's the same that adds perspective on the decisions and if it has dropped that's a pretty damning fact to add, wouldn't you think? Especially with recent events.

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 2

I'll repost this link to a Gawker article calling out that particular Daily Beast reporter for having a double standard in ignoring how much Morning Joe's ratings have slipped. And it gave me a good chuckle when he called Chuck Todd a "non-ideological reporter" which says plenty about how the Beltway media defines "non-ideological."

My jaw dropped when I read that line about Chuck being "non-ideological".  Yeah, right!  Wish they could find the right person to moderate MTP 'cause Chuck ain't it.  There has got to be someone in the news profession with the (hate this word) gravitas to handle that job.

I'm surprised that li'l Luke wasn't given his own program in the new MSNBC schedule.  Maybe Andy Lark isn't one of his worshippers?

I'm not a liberal--just a good old moderate Democrat but I've always enjoyed Ed Schultz's show.  No screeching, no snark.  He's a good man.  I hope there's room for him somewhere on that network.  But Al Sharpton has GOT to go...now.  He doesn't belong on any network news.  

• Love 2
(edited)

So, The Cycle is out, Alex Wagner's show is out (although she will remain on-air for the election season), and Ed Schultz is out.  In case anyone sees this Friday afternoon, The Cycle hosts just said farewell, and I assume Alex Wagner is about to do the same, probably with some support from her guests today?  There is definitely a frantic energy on Alex's show today. I get the sense more announcements will come, but this one deals with the daytime shows: http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/07/msnbc-cancels-three-shows-amid-transition-211561.html

I'll say this for Alex -- she's got game!  She did a great and unsentimental farewell in her final minute, with crew and Chris Hayes around her -- tributes to her production staff, then, when they signaled she was off (and it was past the hour), they kept the camera on her as she turned to her staff and said "We did it!"  "Oh my God!"  "That was massive"  -- it was all barely audible, but still audible. 

And Ed was off today, so no farewell from him in the next hour. 

Edited by jjj

I know the left-leaning shows in the afternoon weren't working but I'm unable to see how MSNBC turning into another CNN is going to work either.  Maybe their fortunes will change if they stick Lyin' Brian Williams on during the afternoons.

She can be hit or miss, but I hope Melissa Harris-Perry is safe.  They probably want to focus on overhauling weekdays before they start thinking about the weekends.

when they signaled she was off (and it was past the hour), they kept the camera on her as she turned to her staff and said "We did it!"  "Oh my God!"  "That was massive"  -- it was all barely audible, but still audible.

I was just coming on to see if anybody else caught it.  I certainly did.  I thought it was clearly audible too.  Oopsy.

I know the left-leaning shows in the afternoon weren't working but I'm unable to see how MSNBC turning into another CNN is going to work either.  Maybe their fortunes will change if they stick Lyin' Brian Williams on during the afternoons.

I can't imagine that it will.  I think the ratings will drop even more.  And I don't think Chuck Todd is very tolerable either.  

I'm not a liberal--just a good old moderate Democrat but I've always enjoyed Ed Schultz's show.  No screeching, no snark.  He's a good man.  I hope there's room for him somewhere on that network.

The thing about cutting Ed is that he has some real bona fide blue collar roots and ties that I don't see in anybody else.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Lawdy!  Could Keithie be returning to MSNBC?  I just read this somewhere online.  I remember in his early days on MSNBC when he'd show his Worst Person in the World segment...it always was hilarious, especially when he'd go after Bill O'Realllly.  Unfortunately, this schtick quickly darkened and became ugly and no longer funny.  What's the problem with Keith?  I wonder if he's pondered why he keeps getting fired.

I'm a fan of KO and follow him on twitter, but it will never be his fault that he keeps leaving jobs, according to KO. I think he's a smart guy but he also believes that there's always some reason that whoever he's working for has wronged him in some way.

• Love 1

I liked Now with Alex Wagner much more when it was a morning show where she'd talk with a panel of guests every day. It varied based on the panel but she's really great with moderating a panel. When it moved to afternoons it didn't work so much for me. It felt like they were trying to fit some MSNBC mold.

• Love 1