Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Golden Girls: Your Least Favorite Moments

• Start Topic

It annoys me whenever Rose is convinced she's going to be homeless and get all panicked and dramatic. She has about 5 kids who love her and will take care of her if worse comes to worse.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

It annoys me whenever Rose is convinced she's going to be homeless and get all panicked and dramatic. She has about 5 kids who love her and will take care of her if worse comes to worse.

Maybe she'd just prefer living on the streets to living with someone as awful as Bridget or Kirsten?

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 12
On 4/14/2014 at 11:35 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

I too am not a fan of the Very Special Episodes, especially Brother, Can You Spare a Jacket; I don't care for them, nor do I feel like they hold up well. 

I also don't care for the Barbara Thorndike episode.  Everyone felt at their worst and I couldn't stand that Dorothy couldn't look at the woman and not see how offputting she was.  On the flip side, I didn't like that Blanche/Rose didn't really try to like Dorothy's new friend.  I mean, Barbara was a racist and a snotty witch, so I'm glad Blanche/Rose tried to warn Dorothy off of her, but they were too heavyhanded.  I only sit through that episode for the scene at the literary restaurant because the names of the dishes never fail to make me laugh.   

The full moon episode doesn't do anything for me.  Sophia, who usually delights me, spent the episode being cruel and rather annoying, while Dorothy/Miles kissing was just out of order and Blanche getting duped by the Brit theif was silly.  I know we're all use to a lack of consistency on this show, but this episode felt like it lacked the general tone I know and love.

Lastly, I loathe the hurricane episode where Stan and Gloria sleep together and it's Dorothy who is seen as unreasonable in the situation.  It actually makes me mad whenver I see it.

I agree with the hurricane episode. I wanted to choke Sophia. The Midsummer nights is one of my favorite though

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Beamish said:

Miles. Everything with Miles. Couldn't stand him. Especially the 'Miles is cheap' episode.

That episode has one of my favorite scenes...Blanche looooooves a tight man. Oh, Rose, when did you get in? Tight? Blanche loooooves a tight man.

I have to ask if you saw the unedited version? The edited version doesn't explain that he'd become cheap because he'd gone to his doctor and found out he probably was going to outlive his savings. (His dr. told him he'd live to 100, but Miles was only budgeted to live until 80...or something along those lines. I haven't seen the unedited version in 20 years.) That info helps explain the cheapness as well as Rose offering to pay and the dialogue about total honesty. It's one of the worst edits in the series, imo.

If you just don't like Miles, that's fine of course. :-) 

• Love 3

I didn't mind Miles, but I thought the story line about his being in the witness protection program was stupid.

The one where Sophia and Blanche fall victim to a pigeon drop scam really steams my bean. Sophia was too savvy to fall for such a thing and Blanche should have known better as well.

• Love 10

That episode where Sophia breaks her friend out of the retirement home that is the "worst retirement home in the city", even more so than Shady Pines.

The episodes with cousin Angelo or Sophia's sister. They're both really annoying.

The episodes with Uncle Lucas since that was the beginning of the end.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Uncle Angelo.  I always just assumed that he and Angela were twins because they were both Sophia's siblings.

I never thought of that!! It makes perfect sense with the names Angela/Angelo!

• Love 1
On 6/15/2015 at 4:54 PM, ATWTer76 said:

"In a Bed of Rose's" is one of my all-time favorites. Lots of great lines.

"Fine. Let a dead guy lie there. It's gonna be 98 degrees today. It won't be pretty."

"You could light firecrackers in his nostrils - you won't wake him."

Blanche (commenting on Rose's new dress): It looks sorta old-fashioned.

Rose: That's the style. The girl told me.

Blanche: What was she? A Pilgrim?

Rose: Well, I'm off.

Sophia: Totally!

Also:

Blanche:  What does he do for a living?

Rose:  He imports diamonds.

Blanche:  Oh damn I hope he's not dead!

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

The nun episode. Sophia should've known better. Also, I believe that was the one where Dorothy was still seeing that married man.

For me that episode was worth the price of admission just for the sight gag of Sophia turning that Pope John Paul II photo around and for her line, "My, aren't we looking holier than thou today."

I'll toss the Mr. Terrific episode into the ring. Absolutely no rewatch value, and I've seen all of them at least 20 times. The only line I found funny was Dorothy's, "I have been turned down for every available part time job in Miami that didn't involve selling cocaine." Wait, was that from this episode or the one where she gets a job with Blanche? My bad, never mind.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
On 10/25/2016 at 8:11 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Uncle Angelo.  I always just assumed that he and Angela were twins because they were both Sophia's siblings.

Except Aunt Angela and Sophia both stated several times that they were the last living people in their family. I always figured Angela transitioned. :)

• Love 8

I disliked all of the Miles episodes. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if the Cheese Man had gotten to him. Plus, it's awfully hard to see Morty Seinfeld as a gangster. I keep expecting him to start bragging about how he came up with the idea of the beltless raincoat.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

My least favorites are the Empty Nest spinoff attempt featuring the neighbors next door. Found it terribly boring. Mr. Fixit wasn't a colorful character, he was flat out weird. And the Leather Jacket episode, it just didn't seem believable to me.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

My least favorites are the Empty Nest spinoff attempt featuring the neighbors next door. Found it terribly boring. 

Rita Moreno, who played the neighbor wife in that episode, has gone on record as saying that she hated it because it was clear that the writers had no idea what the hell they were doing by that point in the show's history.

• Love 2

I hated the next door neighbor spin-off because Rita Moreno is a favorite of mine, and I thought that lame attempt at a show was a horrible waste of her talents. 

Other storylines I didn't care for:

Anything to do with Angelo/Angela

Sophia becoming the nun

The episode with the boxer and the episode where Dorothy got her student deported

• Love 2

BitterApple, those are the exact episodes I don't like too! None of the neighbor episodes seemed natural or well done. As for Miles, I liked him but hated the witness protection thing. No one places a witness as a professor who has to be publish, speak in public and actually have the education and experience to do the job. If h was an author or writer maybe.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

BitterApple, those are the exact episodes I don't like too! None of the neighbor episodes seemed natural or well done. As for Mikes, I liked him but hated the witness protection thing. No one places a witness as a professor who has to be publish, speak in public and actually have the education and experience to do the job. If h was an author or writer maybe.

It just occurred to me. The other "neighbor" episode I hated was the one with the teenage girl who got pregnant. I don't know any neighbors who are that close they'd involve themselves in something like that. 

• Love 2

The Jacket, Empty Nest, Enrique Mas is a violin playing boxer. Boom boom! Kill Gonzalez! Mary Had a Little Lamb and Mr. Terrific are pretty much, universally the most hated episodes. I didn't care for Two Rode Together, when Dorothy takes Sophia to Disney World, I didn't like the side story with Rose and Blanche writing a children's book.. Just bored the hell out of me. Sophia scooting around the room stealing everything that wasn't bolted down, was funny though.  I hated Miles, and his storyline was ridiculous, even for this show. Hate him more after Golden Palace.. Wasn't a fan of Sophia's fart jokes, and she had about 1 too many stories about beastiality. David deserved that slap in the face, Rose was prettier and Blanche. And cheesecake is gross. 

• Love 6
Just now, AndySmith said:

What's next...saying Sophia can't cook a proper delicious Italian meal?

*Bites fist and gasps* You come back here and say that to my face!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, DOBABYR said:

But they look so cute in their outfits 

I didn't care for the episode itself (it's one of my least favorites too), but both Betty and Rue had fantastic legs for women their ages and those costumes definitely let them flaunt them.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know this has been mentioned before, but it's not one I ever seem to catch in syndication and I didn't remember it from the original airing, but I just finally watched the episode where Rose's sister Holly visits, and, boy howdy, those of you who've complained about it were not kidding; this episode sucks!  Let's review: Rose is one of their best friends of several years, Holly is someone they just met.  Incident after incident occurs in which Rose is left out of an activity Holly arranges.  Rose claims it's deliberate, Holly claims it's coincidence.  Not only do they believe Holly (when buying the coincidence theory in some of those cases requires being more gullible than Rose has ever dreamed of being), but they get angry with Rose as if she's insulted their kids or something.

Basically, Rose and Dreyfuss are the only likable characters in this episode.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12
(edited)

They've all been mentioned numerous times, but I'll echo that Pepe the Boxer, Mr. Terrific, and Bob Hope is Rose's father are the only episodes of this show that I absolutely canNOT sit through. I'm willing to watch any other episode no matter how much I may not like them, but those three are just complete stinkers and should be banned from syndication, lol.

On the other hand, I just LOVE the two-parter hurricane episodes that a lot of y'all hate. There are just too many hysterical moments for me, from Dorothy and Sophia's "a-comin'" exchange, Dorothy's "she's not out of MONKEY, Stan, she's out of MONEY!", Rose's very excited "and who's that good-looking monkey?" Sophia asking "is it me or is that a traffic cone?" (seriously, I actually think that little traffic cone monkey is really cute and I always wanted one myself). The cop telling Dorothy he can only shoot looters and Dorothy then telling Stan to pick up the TV on his way out...I get so excited whenever I see that ep is on.

I always forget tho...is it that episode, or a different telethon episode where  Rose tries to sing "I never thought I'd grow a hair there"? That's a different ep, right?

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 2

I don't mind the Bob Hope episode that much. The Great Alphonso is cute. Rose is just so bonkers, and Bob's "comedy" at the end is cringe worthy. As is Rose's "thanks dad" Oh! And the girls dressing up as men is cute too.

One episode I can't sit through is the one with the pig.  Not sure why, but it really bugs me.

But I love this bit of dialogue in that episode:

Dorothy: (to the veterinarian) How is Baby, doc?

Sophia: I heard they ran him out of Haiti!

It's a reference to the Haitian dictator "Baby Doc" Duvalier who was deposed about the time this episode aired. I call one of my cats Baby Doc because he's a big old dictator to the other cats. ;)

• Love 1

I didn't think the episode was bad, it had some funny moments. I just didn't like that Rose didn't get the money because she sent Baby back. She didn't send Baby back because she no longer wanted to take care of him. It was mostly because the doctor recommended it. Baby spent a majority of his final days with Rose.

Ones I can't sit through are Empty Nests, The Days & Nights of Sophia Petrillo, Mary Had a Little Lamb (except for the Merrill part). Really didn't like Snap Out of It except for Blanche's hilarious burn at Sophia saying, "I thought since you look like Yoda you were also wise," just loved the way Blanche walked off after she said it and when Blanche's birth records were deleted by authority of the governor.

Don't know if I mentioned it before but didn't like how Blanche & Dorothy treated Rose when Holly visited. I mean damn Dorothy did she not learn from when Rose & Blanche warned her about Barbara Thorndyke. They couldn't believe that Holly was purposely leaving Rose out of activities even in the beginning of the episode when Rose told them that she doesn't like Holly.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

I didn't think the episode was bad, it had some funny moments. I just didn't like that Rose didn't get the money because she sent Baby back. She didn't send Baby back because she no longer wanted to take care of him. It was mostly because the doctor recommended it. Baby spent a majority of his final days with Rose.

Ones I can't sit through are Empty Nests, The Days & Nights of Sophia Petrillo, Mary Had a Little Lamb (except for the Merrill part). 

Is that the part where Dorothy tells a St. Olaf story, and when the other girls find out about it, she says in self-defense, "I was desperate!"?

3 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

Don't know if I mentioned it before but didn't like how Blanche & Dorothy treated Rose when Holly visited. I mean damn Dorothy did she not learn from when Rose & Blanche warned her about Barbara Thorndyke. They couldn't believe that Holly was purposely leaving Rose out of activities even in the beginning of the episode when Rose told them that she doesn't like Holly.

But that's exactly why they didn't believe her.  They thought it was just petty jealousy and small-mindedness on Rose's part because Rose had told them up front that she hated Holly before they'd even met Holly.  It wasn't until Holly got caught sleeping with Blanche's then-boyfriend that they realized that Rose had been right about Holly all along.

• Love 1

Rose usually likes everyone though, and they are her friends so they should realize she has a reason for not liking her. I don't like that episode because of that and why is Holly even visiting if she doesn't like Rose? She had no way of knowing that Dorothy and Blanche would take her side and she might have had a terrible time. I don't like episodes based on silly misunderstandings which too many comedy's used to do.

• Love 2

They could turn on each other very easily. Blanche turned on Dorothy when she thought she was taking over her job at the museum. Dorothy turned on Blanche when her date hit on her. They both turned on Blanche and didn't believe her about sleeping with Gil Kesslar (Anna Maria Bonaduce) Dorothy didn't believe Blanche about Stan when they had their "dates."  Blanche allowed a sick and drunk Dorothy to be groped through her vapo rub by a man who burned down a diner. The bowling tournament, Grab That Dough, had them dropping each other to win. When Michael and Bridgette slept together. Sophia pretending to be Rose's dead husband.  Blanche trying to sell Rose her lemon of a car. Blanche completely letting Rose fall  under the bus when she got in the car accident. They could be really crappy to each other for little reason at times. 

• Love 6

Yes, they all willingly threw each other under the bus when they consulted with the psychiatrist Dr. Ashley in that group visit episode. His diagnosis was was they were completely incompatible and should save up their money for a moving van. 

But regardless of their occasional spats, it was great to see how their friendship did withstand those moments. They did forgive and forget (most of the time anyway). And they could always be counted on to bond over cheesecake. 

• Love 5

That episode has the single best put down to ever exist. Forever. :D Gerkonanaken. "Literally, it's the precise moment when dog doo turns white." Blanche's face is priceless. "Oh, blow it out your tubenburbles!"

• Love 7

Another I'm adding to my least favorites: They replayed the episode where Blanche's obese daughter and her loser fiance come to visit, and I can't believe how cruel Sophia was with the fat jokes. I understand these episodes were made 30 years ago, but I grew up in the 80s and don't ever recall it being acceptable to bully someone over their weight. Sophia was really a nasty bitch at times.

• Love 10

Yeah we talked about that. Everyone was throwing in insults except Dorothy. Sophia with her rude remarks, Rose saying they weren't expecting Becky to be this fat and Blanche saying she didn't mean for Becky to go out and be the fattest and her enormous happiness. It struck me as odd for them to harp on Jeremy for his verbal abuse when they were right there doing it as well except Dorothy.

• Love 10