Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I've been on vacation since December 31 and I have to go back Monday and I really, really, don't want to. I kind of just want to quit my job, rent a house for a year, and become a hermit. Once the clock strikes midnight on what will be January 1, 2022 I might stick my head outside to see if it's improved any and go from there. 

Quebec is averaging almost 2500 cases a day. All non-essential business are closed until at least Feb. 8th and we're going to have a curfew implemented starting tomorrow. No one can be out between 8 PM and 5 AM without a valid reason. Fines will range from $1000 to $6000. Stupidly though, schools will remain open. 

I much rather they close the schools but keep my hairdresser opened. One, my roots are getting bad. Two, the hairdresser took all the necessary precautions and was what I considered safe. Three, students are giant cesspools of germs and disease. 

Unfortunately for me, dentists are considered essential this time around. Blergh. 

• Useful 1

I'm the voice inside your head you refuse to hear
I'm the face that you have to face mirrorin' your stare
I'm what's left; I'm what's right; I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down and bring you to your knees'

-- The Pretender

What an incredibly powerful song. And the video blew me away.  Go Dave!

• Love 4

Lord God, we give thanks to You for the blessings which You have bestowed upon Your servant Molly; and we humbly beseech You to continue Your goodness to restore Your humble servant to bodily health, so do You imbue her perseverance of Your blessings. To You are due all glory, honor, and worship, as also to Your Eternal Son and Your All Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 4

Amen           

Great news MollyB!   YAY!!!!

Still not feeling up to snuff yet....thanks for asking, snap.  Getting ready to close the shop for good and retire.  Just don't have the oomph any more.  Plus after last week I don't feel business will ever be the same anyway.  I'm hardly essential.....vintage clothing, records and collectibles are pretty much luxury items. My theatre trade has   dried up, too.  No high school/college plays or costume parties.  Hubby still has his job (auto parts...they supply parts for farm and first responder vehicles) but their walk-in 'shade tree mechanic' business has slowed and a lot of small garages are closing, too.  This insurrection has disrupted all our lives.  Add Covid on top of that.....????  

I'm very afraid of what will happen next.  Cupid posted a link about 2 new variants in OH.  It just gets better and better *said with the utmost sarcasm*

I wrote the big paragraph yesterday morning but lost my interweb connection (satellite) all day. I was jonesin' man.......

Stay safe wherever you are.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

Still not feeling up to snuff yet....thanks for asking, snap.  Getting ready to close the shop for good and retire.  Just don't have the oomph any more.  Plus after last week I don't feel business will ever be the same anyway.  I'm hardly essential.....vintage clothing, records and collectibles are pretty much luxury items. My theatre trade has   dried up, too.  No high school/college plays or costume parties.  Hubby still has his job (auto parts...they supply parts for farm and first responder vehicles) but their walk-in 'shade tree mechanic' business has slowed and a lot of small garages are closing, too.  This insurrection has disrupted all our lives.  Add Covid on top of that.....????  

I just want to give you a big hug and say it will be alright, Ohio.  I know it looks bad, but I believe life goes on.  Not always the way we expect, but, still, it keeps on truckin'.  Hang in there.  We're going to get thru this.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@geauxaway Have you played UNO with your son? I picked up a pack (old school kind not the bells and whistles gadget one) while Christmas shopping and have played 8,394943, 4857373 hands with my 7 year old granddaughter and her 3.5 year old side kick sister crashes the hands while taking breaks from being a rug runner/curtain climber. I think the 7 yo is going to have a gambling problem because I explained cards for money and she won't stop talking about poker now. We play while watching Rust Valley Restorers (another obsession of hers). The 3 yo is just a climber since she was born so I don't know what she will be doing. Probably become a Wichita Lineman out west or something. 

@Capricasix Have you watched/read Lonesome Dove? It is looooooong but worth it, the book and the movie. 

He LOVES Uno!!!  They play it in school, too.  We are currently on a Checkers kick, he got Checkers for Christmas.  Another fun old school card game is Old Maid if you can come across that your grands will love it.  He gets a kick out of it and loves to try to trick me to pick the Old Maid when he has it in his hand, like he’s slick or something 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Oh, you gotta see the mini-series!  Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Chris Cooper, Anjelica Houston, Ricky Schroder...so many good actors.  It's well worth it.  We've got the DVD and watched it last month for the 4/6th time.

Post that recipe for lemon/blueberry cake , please peaches.  I'm in the mood to bake something.  Boychild and I both have sweet teeth (?...plural you know)...hubby not so much.  He likes salty treats.

I had a post that was deleted...don't know what I said...but I would miss that Japanese Maple, too.  One of my favorite trees. I worked at a nursery for a couple of years between shops and we sold a lot of them.  Not cheap but I wish I would have bought one 'cause I got a discount.  Gorgeous foliage.  

• Love 6

He said stick with it! Get passed the first 50 or so pages and I promise you you won't regret it!". 

It was like that when my son first started The Lord of the Rings. I told him "Just wait until you get out of the Shire. Then you'll be hooked." And he was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:
On 1/15/2021 at 6:49 PM, Capricasix said:

Lucinda, I haven’t! I will have to get the book from the library. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back when I devoured books like it was my job I started reading Lonesome Dove.

My library suffers every time I move, but I always take my Larry McMurtry with me.  I have the whole Lonesome Dove series.  He wrote it out of time line, so if you want some back story on 'the boys', read Dead Man Walking, Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon.  All have been made into tv movies, I think.  (Not all with Duvall and Jones, dammit).  The best casting I've seen of the young Gus and Call was in Comanche Moon.  For years I found myself saying things were "tasty" and "I expect....".  There's a beautiful rhythm to the prose.  Think I'll go read me some now.

• Love 4

OK...I just ordered a 5 CD set of Billie H.  Used to do Lover Man in the trio (love ballads and torch songs). Got a great price on eBay....$14.99 w/ free shipping brand new!

Still want that lemon/blueberry cake recipe, peaches.  BTW has she posted lately?  I keep getting kicked off my sattelite feed.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

OK...I just ordered a 5 CD set of Billie H.  Used to do Lover Man in the trio (love ballads and torch songs). Got a great price on eBay....$14.99 w/ free shipping brand new!

Still want that lemon/blueberry cake recipe, peaches.  BTW has she posted lately?  I keep getting kicked off my sattelite feed.

Hi there! Ok, this isn't a recipe so much as some thing that just came to me.

2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed.

Get a box of Krusteaz Wild Blueberry muffin mix. Remove the little can of blueberries they give you. Maybe use it in pancakes later.

Make it to package directions but add 1/2 cup sugar, half a cup sour cream. Add the zest and 1/2 the juice of one large lemon. 

Bake in a bundt pan for about 30 to 40 minutes at 350f.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a mesh strainer, once cooled.

Serve with warm or room temp. lemon curd. I used Wilkins and Sons.

Please remember these amounts are only suggestions, you can make it less sweet, more lemony, etc. if you want.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Hi there! Ok, this isn't a recipe so much as some thing that just came to me.

2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed.

Get a box of Krusteaz Wild Blueberry muffin mix. Remove the little can of blueberries they give you. Maybe use it in pancakes later.

Make it to package directions but add 1/2 cup sugar, half a cup sour cream. Add the zest and 1/2 the juice of one large lemon. 

Bake in a bundt pan for about 30 to 40 minutes at 350f.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a mesh strainer, once cooled.

Serve with warm or room temp. lemon curd. I used Wilkins and Sons.

Please remember these amounts are only suggestions, you can make it less sweet, more lemony, etc. if you want.

That sounds AMAZING!  Lemon blueberry is one of my favorite flavor combos.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Items ordered...making it this weekend!

Can't wait.

I can't wait to hear how you liked it. And please do, vary stuff to your taste. I just eyeball everything so my "recipes" are more like "experiments". I just hope none of them come to life and strangle me.

• LOL 4

I don't think I have shared this recipe yet. Crustless spinach quiche.

• 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 can sliced mushrooms (if you choose to use fresh mushrooms, you need to saute them before to ensure there is no moisture before they go into the egg mixture)
  • 16 ounces spinach, sauteed or steamed, and drained
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped cooked bacon (or ham, if you prefer)
  • 7 eggs
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, jarlsberg, or whatever you like, but not a soft cheese)
  • pepper
  • paprika

So you mix it all up and pour it into a no stick pie pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Depending on your oven it can take less time.

It's lovely with a garden salad as a side.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, bannana said:

I don't think I have shared this recipe yet. Crustless spinach quiche.

• 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 can sliced mushrooms (if you choose to use fresh mushrooms, you need to saute them before to ensure there is no moisture before they go into the egg mixture)
  • 16 ounces spinach, sauteed or steamed, and drained
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped cooked bacon (or ham, if you prefer)
  • 7 eggs
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, jarlsberg, or whatever you like, but not a soft cheese)
  • pepper
  • paprika

So you mix it all up and pour it into a no stick pie pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Depending on your oven it can take less time.

It's lovely with a garden salad as a side.

Mmm, that sounds really good!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Mmm, that sounds really good!

My hubby likes low carb meals, so I am always on the hunt, and this is a fave of his.

I, on the other hand, will eat every carb in front of me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Dolly Parton has issued an open letter to her fans on the occasion of her 75th birthday. Part personal reflection, part inspirational challenge, Parton’s message, posted on the singer’s website, asks readers to be compassionate.

“My wish is that everyone does something a little different today. Let’s call it a call for kindness. If you want to donate to your favorite cause, then donate. If you want to give an old friend a call during these lonely times, give them a call. If you can safely volunteer, then raise your hand to do so,” she wrote in part. “The choices are limitless.”

Parton also emphasized the importance of commitment in her letter. “I always encourage people to dream big but I also take great care to follow that up with the message to work hard. We can’t just hope for a brighter day, we have to work for a brighter day,” she wrote. “Love too often gets buried in a world of hurt and fear. We have to work to dig it out so we can share it with our family, our friends and our neighbors. So today, January 19th, let’s get to unearthing love. Love is more contagious than a virus so let your best self shine in a glorious light and others will be inspired by you.”

Happy Belated Birthday, Dolly!

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Dolly Parton has issued an open letter to her fans on the occasion of her 75th birthday. Part personal reflection, part inspirational challenge, Parton’s message, posted on the singer’s website, asks readers to be compassionate.

“My wish is that everyone does something a little different today. Let’s call it a call for kindness. If you want to donate to your favorite cause, then donate. If you want to give an old friend a call during these lonely times, give them a call. If you can safely volunteer, then raise your hand to do so,” she wrote in part. “The choices are limitless.”

Parton also emphasized the importance of commitment in her letter. “I always encourage people to dream big but I also take great care to follow that up with the message to work hard. We can’t just hope for a brighter day, we have to work for a brighter day,” she wrote. “Love too often gets buried in a world of hurt and fear. We have to work to dig it out so we can share it with our family, our friends and our neighbors. So today, January 19th, let’s get to unearthing love. Love is more contagious than a virus so let your best self shine in a glorious light and others will be inspired by you.”

Happy Belated Birthday, Dolly!

Dolly Parton is a national treasure.

• Love 9

Hank Louis Aaron, baseball’s one-time home run king, dies at 86

Nicknames: Hammerin’ Hank, The Hammer

Born: Feb 5, 1934 in Mobile, Alabama

Major League Career: 1954-76

Teams: Milwaukee Braves (1954-1965), Atlanta Braves (1966-1974), Milwaukee Brewers (1975-76)

Biggest Accomplishment: Broke Babe Ruth’s home run record in 1974 and finished his career with 755, a mark that stood for more than 33 years until it was eclipsed by Barry Bonds in 2007.

Other Records: MLB career leader in RBIs (2,297), extra-base hits (1,477) and total bases (6,856); played in 25 All-Star Games.

World Series Appearances: 1957 (Braves defeated the New York Yankees, 4-3); 1958 (Braves lost to the Yankees, 4-3)

Other Postseason Appearances: 1969 (Braves lost to the New York Mets 3-0 in NL Championship Series)

Awards and Accolades: National League MVP (1957); NL batting champion (1956, 1959); NL home run leader (1957, 1963, 1966, 1967); NL RBI leader (1957, 1960, 1963, 1966); NL Gold Glove (1958, 1959, 1960); Baseball Hall of Fame (1982); Presidential Medal of Freedom (2002)

Noteworthy: First player to reach 500 homers and 3,000 hits; never struck out 100 times in a season; third player in baseball history after Ken Williams and Willie Mays with at least 30 homers and 30 stolen bases in a season (1963); finished in Top 10 of NL MVP balloting 13 times; finished with a career average of .305; honored in 1999 by Major League Baseball with the Hank Aaron Award, which goes to baseball’s top hitter each season; 20 straight seasons with at least 20 homers; eight 40-homer seasons; six seasons with more than 20 stolen bases.

Beginnings: Started pro career at age 17 with Indianapolis Clowns of Negro American League.

What Might’ve Been: Aaron could have been paired in the same outfield with Willie Mays, receiving offers from both the Boston Braves and Mays’ team, the New York Giants. He chose the Braves’ slightly higher offer.

Did You Know? Aaron never hit 50 homers in a season. His career high was 47 in 1971.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Last February, UCLA's Nia Dennis went viral for a flawless, swaggering floor routine set to a Beyoncé medley. So how do you follow that? By adding Kendrick Lamar, Missy Elliott, and Tupac, apparently.

Dennis helped take her team to a win over Arizona State on Saturday with this joyous, confident celebration of Black excellence, opening with Kendrick's defiant "DNA" and (ahem) rounded off with "California Love" — which obviously went down a treat with the hometown crowd. 

"This routine definitely reflects everything that I am today as a woman,” Dennis told the Los Angeles Daily News, “and of course I had to incorporate a lot of parts of my culture. I wanted to have a dance party because that’s my personality and of course I had to shout out LA because we out here, UCLA.”

And that was just the season opener. With more to come, not to mention the pandemic-delayed "2020" Tokyo Olympics, where Biles will compete. It's already shaping up as a great year.

GO Bruins!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Oscar and Emmy-winning actress and comedy icon Cloris Leachman died of natural causes this Tuesday aged 94 

One of her sons told TMZ that her daughter Dinah was with her when she passed away at her own house in Encinitas, California 

Cloris, who became a star on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, was tied with Julia Louis-Dreyfus for the most acting Emmys won by anyone 

Her Oscar came for Peter Bogdanovich's 1971 coming of age movie The Last Picture Show, which also won her a BAFTA 

RIP funny lady.

• Love 3

Aww, Frau Blücher...🐴   For me, it's a toss-up for best character between her and Nurse Diesel from High Anxiety.  Her delivery of the line "Those who are late do not get fruit cup." cracks me up every time.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Aww, Frau Blücher...🐴   For me, it's a toss-up for best character between her and Nurse Diesel from High Anxiety.  Her delivery of the line "Those who are late do not get fruit cup." cracks me up every time.

She was utterly fearless. My favorite line from Young Frankenstein (among many) "YES. YES. Say it. He vas my... BOYFRIEND!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She was utterly fearless. My favorite line from Young Frankenstein (among many) "YES. YES. Say it. He vas my... BOYFRIEND!"

She was perfection, indeed.

and

Edited by boes
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Cicely Tyson, legendary actor nominated for an Oscar for her role in "Sounder" and received a Tony Award in 2013 when she was 88, dies at 96

Actor Cicely Tyson, who specialized in portraying strong Black women caught up in life’s struggles during a 60-year career that earned her three Emmys and a Tony Award, died on Thursday at age 96, her manager said in a statement. No cause of death was given. Tyson had recently completed a memoir, “Just As I Am,” which was released just this week.

Tyson’s most-lauded performances came in historical works such as the 1972 movie “Sounder” in which she played a Louisiana sharecropper’s wife. That film earned Tyson her only Academy Award nomination, but she received an honorary Oscar in November 2018. She also won two Emmys for the same TV movie, “The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman” - one for best actress in a miniseries or movie and one for actress of the year. The 1974 movie covered a woman’s life from slavery to the 1960s. Tyson picked up another Emmy 20 years later for “Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All.” Her nine other Emmy nominations included playing Binta, the mother of the slave Kunta Kinte in the groundbreaking 1977 miniseries “Roots,” the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s wife, Coretta, in “King,” and the inspirational educator in “The Marva Collins Story.”

Her manager, Larry Thompson, said in a statement that Tyson “thought of her new memoir as a Christmas tree decorated with all the ornaments of her personal and professional life. Today she placed the last ornament, a Star, on top of the tree."

Tyson’s career boomed even in her 80s. In 2011, she was part of the ensemble of the much-praised film “The Help” and in 2013, at age 88, she won a Tony for a Broadway revival of “The Trip to Bountiful,” the story of a woman returning to her small hometown. It was her first time on Broadway in 30 years. Even after turning 90, Tyson was busy. In 2015, she starred with frequent collaborator James Earl Jones in a Broadway revival of the two-person play “The Gin Game.” The New York Times said Tyson and Jones, who had last appeared on Broadway almost 50 years earlier, proved “that great talent is ageless and ever-rewarding.” In February 2019 at age 94, Tyson was on the cover of Time magazine’s “The Art of Optimism” edition and an interviewer asked if she had considered retiring. “And do what?” was her response. ‘STILL WE HOLD ON’

Tyson said she used her career to take on issues important to her, such as race and gender. “I realized very early on when I was asked certain questions or treated in a certain way that I needed to use my career to address those issues,” she said in a People magazine interview in 2015.

Tyson told CBS she saw the Hollywood hierarchy as a ladder with white men at the top, followed by white women and Black men. Black women were at the bottom. “And we’re holding on to the last rung,” she said. “And those fists are being trampled on by all those three above and still we hold on.”

Tyson was born in December 1924 in New York and grew up in the city’s Harlem neighborhood, the daughter of immigrants from the West Indies. She was a secretary and model before taking acting jobs in the 1950s. In the early 1960s, she became one of the first Black actors to appear regularly on U.S. television, playing George C. Scott’s secretary on the series “East Side, West Side.” One of her early stage roles was in “The Blacks,” an off-Broadway production about race that helped boost the careers of Jones, Maya Angelou, Louis Gossett Jr., Godfrey Cambridge and Roscoe Lee Brown.

Tyson took parts as prostitutes in two other plays in the 1960s before deciding to make a stand. “After that, I was offered the part of another whore and I said no because I didn’t want to get typecast and because it was demeaning to Black women,” she told the New York Times.

Tyson was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Barack Obama in 2016. When she was presented with a Kennedy Center Honor in December 2005, filmmaker-writer Tyler Perry said: “She chose to empower us when we didn’t even know it was possible to be empowered. Cicely refused to take a role that would not better humanity.”

Tyson was married to jazz trumpet legend Miles Davis from 1981 to 1988 and Davis, who died in 1991, put her on the cover of his album “Sorcerer.” Their marriage was rocky, troubled by reports of his alleged philandering, domestic violence and substance abuse. But in a 2015 interview with CBS, Tyson said: “I don’t really talk about it but I will say this: I cherish every single moment that I had with him.”

• Love 1

To add to the "I think we're related" prevert file, I was also a rebellious kid - for good reason IMO - and once my mother threatened me with "If you don't shape up we're going to take you to see a psychiatrist!" to which I answered back that I would LOVE that.  Not the response she expected and it was never brought up again.

With my mom it was always boarding school. I would picture large columned buildings, extensive grounds, possibly with horses. I fantasized about learning Latin and Greek and the Fine Arts. And like you I would shout "Oh please, send me to boarding school. I'll start packing now!"

• LOL 7
  • Love 1